Nation
THE STATES
Adamawa
The Adamawa Local Government Election Petitions
Tribunal has received 38 petitions from the November 24, 2012 council election conducted in the state. The Secretary of the Tribunal, Mr Hashimu Suleiman, made this known in an interview with newsmen in Yola. Suleiman said the National Conscience Party (NCP) filed 12 petitions while the rest were filed by Congress for Progressive Change (CPC).
He said further that the petitions comprised 23 for chairmanship and 15 for councillorship.
Bauchi
Bauchi State Government said it spent more than
N30 million on the vaccination of 1.7 million cows in 2012.
Dr Bala Musa, the Director of Veterinary in the state Ministry for Animal Health and Nomadic Settlement, said this in an interview with newsmen on Tuesday in Bauchi.
“In the 2011/2012 vaccination period, we spent a little more than N30 million on vaccines, equipment, and personnel allowances; and we actually covered the 20 local government areas of the state. “We vaccinated more than 1.7 million cattle; this year, we are targeting the same figure and even more.
Benue
A 27-year old politician, Terfa Ankyo of Gboko Lo
cal Government Area of Benue, has been remanded at the Federal Prisons, Makurdi, for alleged terrorism.
The prosecutor, Sgt. Gabriel Ebonyi, told the court that one Yandev Amaabai, also of Gboko, reported the case at the Gboko Police Station.
Ebonyi said Amaabai told the police that the accused, on Nov. 24, 2012, while driving in two Hilux vans with six unidentified armed men in army uniform, shot at his Jeep on sighting him.
The prosecutor said the complainant sped off, but the suspects pursued him (Amaabai) for more than two kilometres before he managed to escape.
FCT
The FCT Command of the Nigeria Security and Civil
Defence Corps, has sealed up three illegal private guard companies in the territory.
They are Vault Security Company Ltd, Bright Star Security Ltd and E-Control Security Ltd.
Mr Abdullahi Kofaroro, the FCT Commandant of the Corps, said the defaulting companies failed to honour several invitations requiring them to make amend.
Kofaroro, who was represented by the command’s Officer-in-Charge of private guard companies, Mrs Florence Akalawu, said the companies had been operating without meeting the requirements for setting up security companies.
Gombe
No fewer than 430 people are undergoing training
on various skills organised by the National Directorate of Employee (NDE) in Gombe state .
Alhaji Abdulkadir Mabudi, the state Coordinator of NDE, made this known in an interview with newsmen in Gombe on Monday.
He said out of the 430 trainees, 100 youths were undergoing vocational training in Basic National Open Apprentices (BNOA) in each of the three senatorial zones of the state. “We sent 300 unemployed youths to various fields across the state to be trained in welding, metal fabrication, GSM repairs and maintenances, computer operation and maintenance, food processing and tailoring.
Jigawa
The Jigawa State Government said it has concluded ar
rangement to recruit 3,044 workers in 2013.
The state Head of Service, Alhaji Mustapha Aminu, made this known in an interview with newsmen in Dutse on Tuesday. Aminu said that 1,670 workers were also approved for promotion, saying that the recruitment and promotion would be spread across all sectors as captured in 2013 appropriation bill.
He explained that 1,200 teachers would be recruited under the State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB) to teach in primary and junior secondary schools.
Kano
The Kano State Government has budgetted N200 million
for the establishment of two Information Technology (IT) secondary schools in 2013.
The Commissioner for Science and Technology, Alhaji Bala Gwagwarwa, disclosed this in an interview with newsmen in Kano.
According to him, the schools are meant to boost the study of computer science in the state.
Gwagwarwa said the decision was borne out of the government’s effort to encourage more students to go into the study of computer science and other IT programmes.
Kwara
The Vice President, Nigeria Labour Congress, Isa Aremu,
has urged the Federal Government to revive the nation’s textile industry.
Aremu told newsmen in Ilorin that reviving the industry would reduce unemployment rate in the country.
He said if such industries were in full production, Nigeria would have no business in importing textile materials.
Aremu said Nigeria was the third largest producer of textile in frica, adding that the sector employed close to 1.5 million persons in the past, with about 250 industries across the country.
Lagos
An Ojokoro Senior Magistrates’ Court in Lagos has sen
tenced two commercial motorcycle operators to 80 hours of community service each, for violating traffic laws.
The duo, in separate cases, had pleaded guilty to four-count charges bordering on violation of the laws.
Magistrate A.F. Adeeyo sentenced the accused, Ismaila Oyelowo, who resides at No. 11, Oyeyemi St. Igando and Solomon Rafiu, of 48, Adelakun Close, Igando, to 20 hours on each of the four counts of their charges. She ordered that the community service should be carried out within Ijaye/Ojokoro Local Council Development Area.
Nasarawa
Edward Collins, 24, of Behind City Rock Hotel, Mararaba
has been arraigned before a Senior Magistrates’ Court in Mararaba, Nasarawa State, for allegedly receiving stolen property.
The Police Prosecutor, Mr. Joseph Ahwo, told the court that Anayo Chukwu of Building materials market, Mararaba, reported the matter at the ‘A’ Division Police Station on December 18.
Ahwo said Emmanuel Madu of Aliada Road, Gboko, Benue burgled the shop of one Chibuike at the building material market, Mararaba, on November 13, and stole some electrical materials valued at N22,000.
He sold the electrical materials to the accused person.
Niger
The Niger government has received the N400 million do
nated by the Federal Government to flood victims in the state.
Ahaji Mohammed Shaba, the Director general, Niger State Disaster management Agency, announced this at a news conference in Minna.
He said the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) had also fulfilled its pledge of N25 million to victims of the Madalla bomb blast.
Shaba said the donations, which were recently posted into the account of the agency, would soon be disbursed to the affected persons.
Ogun
An Abeokuta High Court has dismissed an application
filed by the former governor of Ogun, Otunba Gbenga Daniel, seeking its leave to reduce and quash some of the charges leveled against him by the EFCC.
The anti-graft agency had on April 2, 2012 instituted a 38-count charge against the former governor bordering on fraudulent conversion of land and diversion of public funds.
Daniel, through his counsel, Prof. Taiwo Osipitan, had last October filed an application to strike out counts 1-13 of the 38 charges which related to fraudulent conversion of various plots of land belonging to the state.
Oyo
A property developer, Mr. Richard Adeogun has criticized
successive administrations in Oyo State for lacking foresight in mapping out a comprehensive master plan for Ibadan, the capital city.
Adeogun, the Business Development manager at Zilt Consulting Firm, said this in an interview with newsmen in Ibadan.
He said that such neglect was reflective of the poor housing layout and difficulties encountered in acquiring land by prospective buyers.
Adeogun said that proper planning was needed if the state was to compete favourably with Lagos State as a real estate giant.
Nation
Youths Vow To Continue Protest Over Dilapidated Highway
Youths from five local government areas in Northern Cross River State have concluded a one-week warning protest and blockade of the dilapidated Ikom-Wula-Obudu federal highway over the weekend.
They have vowed to resume the road blocks if by this week the authorities do not intervene to fix the road.
More than five thousand locals, mostly youths from Obanliku, Etung, Obudu, Ikom and Boki LGAs trooped out everyday for one week, used palm trees to block the highway to draw state and federal government’s attention to their plights, requesting the repair of a road has has been unmotorable for about 40 years.
They warned that if they do not see any actions from the state or federal governments, they will resume their Plan B protest, stop revenue collections and make governance unpalatable.
The youths also warned that without interventions on the road which has claimed several lives, including that of last week when a pregnant woman died with her baby in the full glare of the protesters because of the terrible road, no election can hold in the area next year.
One of the leaders of the No Road , No Election protest, who is also the Abo Youths in Boki LGA, Dr Martins Assam said both the federal and state governments have neglected the region, which generates more than 70 percent state revenue from agriculture.
He said if machinery is not deployed by next week, they will not have any option than to embark on unpalatable and disastrous protest, and stop revenue collections in the area.
“Last week we had only a warning strike for one good week. We’ll embark on a more elaborate, disastrous one-month blockade of this highway until they intervene. We call on our Governor and representatives in the National Assembly to act now by impressing on the federal government to immediately fix this road else. We’re not asking for two much but to be treated as human beings.”
Another protester, Clinton Obi from the Etung axis said, “We’ve been neglected for 40 years. This Ikom-Obudu federal highway had been impassable. The government has removed its concentration from our plights. By this one week protest, we want action on this road otherwise the next phase of protest will be costly.”
Reverend Father Francis Amaozo, priest in charge of St. Nicholas parish in Nashua, Boki LGA said, “I have also been a victim of this very deplorable road. Enough is now enough. We’ve been betrayed by our representatives and other leaders, so that we in this axis have become endangered species on this road. I have lost some many members on this road.”
Member, representing the Boki-Ikom federal constituency of the state in the House of Representatives, Bisong Victor Abang had pleaded with the locals to be a bit more patient with the government as action will commence shortly.
Nation
UNIPORT VC Receives Inaugural Lecture Brochure As Professor Highlights Urgent Need For Drug Repurposing In Malaria Fight
The Vice Chancellor of the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT), Prof Owunari Georgewill, last Thursday received the inaugural lecture brochure from the Inaugural Lecturer, Professor Udeme Georgewill, during a ceremony at the university’s Centre of Excellence attended by academics, researchers, students, and distinguished guests.
Delivering her lecture, Professor Udeme Georgewill described the occasion as the culmination of years of dedicated research, teaching, and service to humanity. He explained that his work as a pharmacologist has consistently focused on finding practical, affordable, and scientifically sound solutions to health challenges that disproportionately affect developing countries, particularly malaria, which remains one of Nigeria’s most pressing public health concerns.
She noted that Nigeria continues to bear one of the heaviest malaria burdens globally, accounting for a significant percentage of worldwide cases and deaths. The disease, largely caused by the Plasmodium falciparum parasite and transmitted through Anopheles mosquitoes, remains especially dangerous for children under five years and pregnant women, threatening not only present populations but unborn generations. Despite years of intervention efforts, malaria continues to strain families, health systems, and the national economy.
Prof Georgewill empha-sised that while Artemisinin-based Combination Therapies such as Artemether-Lumefantrine remain the gold standard for malaria treatment, emerging resistance patterns pose a serious challenge. He explained that drug resistance is a survival mechanism of the parasite, enabling it to adapt and reduce the effectiveness of medications designed to eliminate it. According to her, instances where patients do not feel better after initial treatment sometimes lead to repeated dosing or the search for injectable alternatives, practices that can worsen resistance and complicate treatment outcomes.
Against this backdrop, she advocated strongly for drug repurposing as a strategic and urgent response. Drug repurposing, he explained, involves identifying new therapeutic uses for already approved and widely available medications. He likened the concept to “old wine in new wineskins,” stressing that medicines already proven safe for certain conditions can be carefully re-evaluated and optimised for new roles in malaria management. This approach, she argued, offers advantages such as reduced research timelines, lower development costs, and faster clinical application compared to developing entirely new drugs from scratch.
She disclosed that her research had progressed from laboratory investigations to clinical evaluations, where his team is studying combinations involving Artemether-Lumefantrine and Ivermectin to determine their effectiveness in improving treatment outcomes and possibly reducing transmission. Clinical trials are ongoing, and findings will be communicated upon completion of regulatory processes. However, he cautioned strongly against self-medication, warning that misuse of drugs without proper diagnosis and prescription can lead to organ damage, treatment failure, and increased resistance.
Referencing global health commitments, Prof Georgewill highlighted Sustainable Development Goal 3.3, which seeks to end epidemics of malaria and other major infectious diseases by 2030. She questioned whether the goal remains attainable under current realities, especially with growing resistance and funding gaps. He also referred to strategies of the World Health Organisation aimed at drastically reducing malaria incidence and mortality while pushing toward elimination in several countries.
Looking ahead, she revealed that her team is building comprehensive research databases to support artificial intelligence-driven drug repurposing. He stressed that the integration of artificial intelligence, molecular docking, and advanced screening technologies is transforming global drug discovery, and Nigerian researchers must be equipped to participate competitively in this evolving scientific landscape.
In her recommendations, she called for the establishment of a National Centre for Drug Repurposing to coordinate research efforts and leverage artificial intelligence in identifying new indications for existing medicines. He urged policymakers to simplify and accelerate the translation of laboratory discoveries into clinical application, ensuring that scientific breakthroughs benefit the public more efficiently. She also appealed to the university and relevant authorities to increase funding and modernise laboratory infrastructure, including high-throughput screening facilities, to strengthen Nigeria’s position in global biomedical research.
The lecture concluded with expressions of gratitude to God, the university leadership, colleagues, students, and guests, as the event underscored the University of Port Harcourt’s commitment to research excellence and its role in addressing critical public health challenges facing Nigeria and the wider world.
Nation
Niger CAN Rejects Proposed Hisbah Bill, Urges Gov Bago Not To Assent
The Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, Niger State Chapter, has rejected the proposed Niger State Hisbah Directorates Bill, describing it as controversial and capable of deepening religious division in the state.
In a statement signed by the State Chairman, Bishop Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, and made available to The Tide’s source yesterday, the association urged Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago not to assent to the bill if it is passed by the State House of Assembly.
The bill, sponsored by the member representing Chanchaga Constituency, Hon. Mohammed Abubakar, seeks to establish a Hisbah Directorate in Niger State.
CAN warned that the legislation could be perceived as discriminatory against Christians and may heighten tension in the religiously diverse state.
“Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago, we, the entire Christendom in the state, wish to draw your attention to what could easily create division among the people you govern,” the statement read in part.
The association questioned the necessity and benefits of the proposed law, asking what economic or social value it would add to the state.
It further argued that existing security agencies, including the Nigeria Police and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, already have constitutional mandates to maintain law and order.
The Christian body also faulted the legislative process, disputing claims that it was consulted during a public hearing on the bill.
It insisted that it was neither invited nor notified of any such engagement, despite being a critical stakeholder in the state.
