Connect with us

Nation

THE STATES

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari (left), welcoming his new Chief of Staff, Alhaji Abbah Kyari, at the Presidential Villa in Abuja on Thursday

President Muhammadu Buhari (left), welcoming his new Chief of Staff, Alhaji Abbah Kyari, at the Presidential Villa in Abuja on Thursday

Adamawa
Dr Fatima Atiku, daughter of former Vice President Atiku
Abubakar and newly appointed Adamawa State Commissioner for Health, has forfeited her salary and allowances for use in revitalizing the health sector in the state.
Fielding questions from newsmen in Yola on Friday after being sworn –in along with 21 other commissioners, Fatima, a Consultant, said she was making the sacrifice because of the numerous challenges in the health sector.
“I am very grateful to the governor for appointing me to head the Health Ministry.

Bauchi
Twenty persons have died of Cholera in the Shira Local
Government Area (LGA), of Bauchi State.
This is contained in a statement made available to newsmen, by the Information Officer in the LGA, Malam Danlami Baza, in Bauchi on Saturday.
The statement said 200 persons were admitted in the hospital.
It added that the Acting Chairman of the LGA, Alhaji Usman Mashema, called on the public to come out for treatment as soon as they noticed any sign of cholera.
The statement appealed to the Federal and State Governments as well as donor agencies to come to the aid of those affected.
Borno

Governor  Kashim Shettima of Borno State on Saturday
presented N100,000 cash assistance and clothing materials to each of the parents of the 219 girls abducted at the Government Secondary School, Chibok.
He presented the items while interacting with the parents in Maiduguri, noting that the gesture was a directive from President Muhammadu Buhari.
“I met with the president last Thursday in Abuja and he directed that I should meet you and console you over the missing girls.

Ekiti

The Speaker of Ekiti State House of Assembly, Mr Kola
Oluwawole, says some residents of the state have poor attitude to observance of the monthly sanitation in the state .
In a statement issued by Mr Stephen Gbadamosi, the Special Assistant (Media) to the Speaker in Ado-Ekiti on Saturday, the lawmaker observed that the poor attitude was common among the youth and commercial motorcyclists.
“I assure you that those citizens who breached the stay-at-home order on the exercise will be handed over to the police for appropriate sanctions.

FCT

The Presidency has advised the Peoples Democratic Party
(PDP) to stop playing down achievements so far recorded by President Muhammadu Buhari.
This is contained in a statement issued in Abuja by the president’s Senior Special Assistant, Media, Malam Garba Shehu.
Shehu said the PDP should rather bury its head in shame for subjecting Nigeria to the “worst economic plunder through corruption’’ in its recent history.

Jigawa

The National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN), has
opened 62 study centres nationwide to avail Nigerians the opportunity to acquire higher education, according to Alhaji Abdullahi Dogo, Director, Jigawa Study Centre.
Dogo disclosed this on Saturday in Dutse, when the centre matriculated 180 students for the 2015/16 academic session.
He urged the newly admitted students to study hard and obey the rules and regulations of the institution.
Dogo warned that the institution would not tolerate any form of laziness and indiscipline.

Kano

The Kano State Police Command has warned the public
against the activities of some fraudsters extorting money from unsuspecting people on the pretext of getting them enlisted into the police.
This is contained in statement signed by the Public Relations Officer of the command, ASP Magaji Majiya and issued to newsmen in Kano on Saturday.
The statement said reports had reached the command on the activities of the fraudsters.
According to the statement, the command has yet to receive any directive on recruitment in line with the Federal Government’s plan to employ additional 10, 000 police officers across the country.
Kaduna

Senator  Shehu Sani (APC-Kaduna Central), on Satur
day in Kaduna inaugurated a programme aimed at uplifting the lives of his constituents in education, healthcare, sports, recreation, and skills acquisition.
Sani, who tagged the programme“ , ‘Talakawa Grassroots Revolutionary Development Programme‘ explained that it would serve as his platform to meet the yearnings of the people.
“The launch of this programme signals the commencement of a revolutionary change in the lives of the people in my constituency, Kaduna central.”
According to him, the people voted for change that will make meaning to their lives by liberating them from plunder and exploitation.

Katsina
Women for Health, an NGO  funded by the Department
for International Development (DFID) of United Kingdom, said it has expended N200 million on improving healthcare delivery in Katsina State.
The National Programme Manager, Dr Fatima Adamu disclosed this on Friday, when she paid a courtesy visit on Gov. Aminu Masari in Katsina.
According to her, the funds were used to build the capacity of health personnel and in establishing more health facilities.
She pledged her continuous support to the government to enhance healthcare delivery across the state.

Kwara

A lifeless body of a 65-year-old man, Mr Dele Ogundeyi,
was on Saturday recovered from a well on the Aperan Way in Omu-Aran, Kwara  State.
Our correspondent  reports that Ogundeyi was a retired Secretary of Offa Local Government Area Liaison Office, before his death.
The deceased, who hailed from Ile-Nla compound in Omu-Aran, went missing around 11 a.m. on Saturday, according to a relation, Mr Abdulkareem, prompting a search party by family members.

Kogi

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), Kogi
State University, says it will resume an industrial action suspended in May over unpaid allowances of N1 billion to its members.
The Acting Chairman of union, Dr Gbenga Aina, told newsmen in Anyigba on Saturday that the lecturers had resolved to go on strike on Sept. 1 if the state government did not honour an earlier agreement with the union on the payment.
He accused the state government of reneging on the “gentleman’s agreement’’ reached with the union before the suspension of the strike in May.

Nasarawa

A retired psychiatric nurse with the Dalhatu Araf Spe
cialist Hospital, Lafia, Mr Emmanuel Ogar, has urged the federal and state lawmakers to enact tougher laws to prohibit drug abuse.
He told newsmenin Lafia on Saturday that such step would reduce mental cases in Nigeria.
Ogar insisted that the fight against drug abuse should not be left alone with the government, saying, “it should be seen as a collective fight by all well meaning citizens of the country.
“If we continue to leave it alone to the government, it will take a longer time to achieve success.

Sokoto
Farm produce worth over N100 million were detroyed by
flood in 27 villages in Wurno Local Government Area of Sokoto State, the Chairnan of the Local Government, Alhaji Shehu Chacho, has said.
Chacho disclosed this to newsmen in Wurno on Sunday.
He said the destroyed farm produce which were already maturing include; rice, millet, guinea corn, maize and beans.
According to the chairman, the flood was caused by the release of excess water from Goronyo dam and that it had affected no fewer than 7,577 farmers.

Yobe

Senator Muhammad Hassan (PDP) Yobe South, has do
nated N2 million and relief materials worth millions of Naira to flood victims in Ngelzarma.
Hassan, who presented the materials to the Emir of Ngelzarma, Alhaji Zanna Maiyeri, said the donation was to provide the victims with their immediate needs.
The relief materials were assorted foodstuff including rice, millet, guinea corn, beans, spaggetti,salt, sugar, milk, cooking oil, blankets, mattresses, mats, wrappers and clothing materials.
“I feel obliged to intervene and provide the flood victims who are members of my constituency with succour as they have been displaced and now taking refuge outside their homes.

Continue Reading

Nation

Youths Vow To Continue Protest Over Dilapidated Highway

Published

on

Youths from five local government areas in Northern Cross River State have concluded a one-week warning protest and blockade of the dilapidated Ikom-Wula-Obudu federal highway over the weekend.
They have vowed to resume the road blocks if by this week the authorities do not intervene to fix the road.
More than five thousand locals, mostly youths from Obanliku, Etung, Obudu, Ikom and Boki LGAs trooped out everyday for one week, used palm trees to block the highway to draw state and federal government’s attention to their plights, requesting the repair of a road has has been unmotorable for about 40 years.
They warned that if they do not see any actions from the state or federal governments, they will resume their Plan B protest, stop revenue collections and make governance unpalatable.
The youths also warned that without interventions on the road which has claimed several lives, including that of last week when a pregnant woman died with her baby in the full glare of the protesters because of the terrible road, no election can hold in the area next year.
One of the leaders of the No Road , No Election protest, who is also the Abo Youths in Boki LGA, Dr Martins Assam said both the federal and state governments have neglected the region, which generates more than 70 percent state revenue from agriculture.
He said if machinery is not deployed by next week, they will not have any option than to embark on unpalatable and disastrous protest, and stop revenue collections in the area.
“Last week we had only a warning strike for one good week. We’ll embark on a more elaborate, disastrous one-month blockade of this highway until they intervene. We call on our Governor and representatives in the National Assembly to act now by impressing on the federal government to immediately fix this road else. We’re not asking for two much but to be treated as human beings.”
Another protester, Clinton Obi from the Etung axis said, “We’ve been neglected for 40 years. This Ikom-Obudu federal highway had been impassable. The government has removed its concentration from our plights. By this one week protest, we want action on this road otherwise the next phase of protest will be costly.”
Reverend Father Francis Amaozo, priest in charge of St. Nicholas parish in Nashua, Boki LGA said, “I have also been a victim of this very deplorable road. Enough is now enough. We’ve been betrayed by our representatives and other leaders, so that we in this axis have become endangered species on this road. I have lost some many members on this road.”
Member, representing the Boki-Ikom federal constituency of the state in the House of Representatives, Bisong Victor Abang had pleaded with the locals to be a bit more patient with the government as action will commence shortly.

Continue Reading

Nation

UNIPORT VC Receives Inaugural Lecture Brochure As Professor Highlights Urgent Need For Drug Repurposing In Malaria Fight

Published

on

The Vice Chancellor of the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT), Prof Owunari Georgewill, last Thursday received the inaugural lecture brochure from the Inaugural Lecturer, Professor Udeme Georgewill, during a ceremony at the university’s Centre of Excellence attended by academics, researchers, students, and distinguished guests.
Delivering her lecture, Professor Udeme Georgewill described the occasion as the culmination of years of dedicated research, teaching, and service to humanity. He explained that his work as a pharmacologist has consistently focused on finding practical, affordable, and scientifically sound solutions to health challenges that disproportionately affect developing countries, particularly malaria, which remains one of Nigeria’s most pressing public health concerns.
She noted that Nigeria continues to bear one of the heaviest malaria burdens globally, accounting for a significant percentage of worldwide cases and deaths. The disease, largely caused by the Plasmodium falciparum parasite and transmitted through Anopheles mosquitoes, remains especially dangerous for children under five years and pregnant women, threatening not only present populations but unborn generations. Despite years of intervention efforts, malaria continues to strain families, health systems, and the national economy.
Prof Georgewill empha-sised that while Artemisinin-based Combination Therapies such as Artemether-Lumefantrine remain the gold standard for malaria treatment, emerging resistance patterns pose a serious challenge. He explained that drug resistance is a survival mechanism of the parasite, enabling it to adapt and reduce the effectiveness of medications designed to eliminate it. According to her, instances where patients do not feel better after initial treatment sometimes lead to repeated dosing or the search for injectable alternatives, practices that can worsen resistance and complicate treatment outcomes.
Against this backdrop, she advocated strongly for drug repurposing as a strategic and urgent response. Drug repurposing, he explained, involves identifying new therapeutic uses for already approved and widely available medications. He likened the concept to “old wine in new wineskins,” stressing that medicines already proven safe for certain conditions can be carefully re-evaluated and optimised for new roles in malaria management. This approach, she argued, offers advantages such as reduced research timelines, lower development costs, and faster clinical application compared to developing entirely new drugs from scratch.
She disclosed that her research had progressed from laboratory investigations to clinical evaluations, where his team is studying combinations involving Artemether-Lumefantrine and Ivermectin to determine their effectiveness in improving treatment outcomes and possibly reducing transmission. Clinical trials are ongoing, and findings will be communicated upon completion of regulatory processes. However, he cautioned strongly against self-medication, warning that misuse of drugs without proper diagnosis and prescription can lead to organ damage, treatment failure, and increased resistance.
Referencing global health commitments, Prof Georgewill highlighted Sustainable Development Goal 3.3, which seeks to end epidemics of malaria and other major infectious diseases by 2030. She questioned whether the goal remains attainable under current realities, especially with growing resistance and funding gaps. He also referred to strategies of the World Health Organisation aimed at drastically reducing malaria incidence and mortality while pushing toward elimination in several countries.
Looking ahead, she revealed that her team is building comprehensive research databases to support artificial intelligence-driven drug repurposing. He stressed that the integration of artificial intelligence, molecular docking, and advanced screening technologies is transforming global drug discovery, and Nigerian researchers must be equipped to participate competitively in this evolving scientific landscape.
In her recommendations, she called for the establishment of a National Centre for Drug Repurposing to coordinate research efforts and leverage artificial intelligence in identifying new indications for existing medicines. He urged policymakers to simplify and accelerate the translation of laboratory discoveries into clinical application, ensuring that scientific breakthroughs benefit the public more efficiently. She also appealed to the university and relevant authorities to increase funding and modernise laboratory infrastructure, including high-throughput screening facilities, to strengthen Nigeria’s position in global biomedical research.
The lecture concluded with expressions of gratitude to God, the university leadership, colleagues, students, and guests, as the event underscored the University of Port Harcourt’s commitment to research excellence and its role in addressing critical public health challenges facing Nigeria and the wider world.

Continue Reading

Nation

Niger CAN Rejects Proposed Hisbah Bill, Urges Gov Bago Not To Assent

Published

on

The Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, Niger State Chapter, has rejected the proposed Niger State Hisbah Directorates Bill, describing it as controversial and capable of deepening religious division in the state.
In a statement signed by the State Chairman, Bishop Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, and made available to The Tide’s source yesterday, the association urged Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago not to assent to the bill if it is passed by the State House of Assembly.
The bill, sponsored by the member representing Chanchaga Constituency, Hon. Mohammed Abubakar, seeks to establish a Hisbah Directorate in Niger State.
CAN warned that the legislation could be perceived as discriminatory against Christians and may heighten tension in the religiously diverse state.
“Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago, we, the entire Christendom in the state, wish to draw your attention to what could easily create division among the people you govern,” the statement read in part.
The association questioned the necessity and benefits of the proposed law, asking what economic or social value it would add to the state.
It further argued that existing security agencies, including the Nigeria Police and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, already have constitutional mandates to maintain law and order.
The Christian body also faulted the legislative process, disputing claims that it was consulted during a public hearing on the bill.
It insisted that it was neither invited nor notified of any such engagement, despite being a critical stakeholder in the state.

Continue Reading

Trending