Connect with us

Oil & Energy

Brent Oil Rises To 108 Dollars

Published

on

Brent crude was 108 dol
lars a barrel last Thursday with most of the gains from the previous session as Chinese customs data showed crude imports jumped to a record high.
China’s crude imports rose 22.4 per cent in April from March. Oil data also showed that total exports rose against forecasts for a decline, offering some rare good news for the nation’s slowing economy.
“People are bearish on China, so any good news out of China it should at least provide some support,” said oil risk manager at Mitsubishi Corp in Tokyo.
Brent crude was down 23 cents at 107.90 dollars per barrel, after settling 1.07dollars  higher on Wednesday. U.S. crude was 22 cents lower at 100.55 dollars per barrel. The contract had gained 1.27 dollars in the previous session.
China’s crude oil imports rose to a record of  6.78 million barrels per day (bpd) in April, after slipping below six million bpd in March for the first time since November last year.
China’s imports for the first four months of the year were up 11.5 per cent from the same period in 2013. The sharp rise in April was likely due to builds in China’s strategic oil reserves, according to a Barclays research note.
China is to add 39 million barrels of strategic reserves , first half of the year , at two new storage facilities in Tianjin and Huangdao, Barclays analyst Sijin Cheng said. China’s total exports rose 0.9 per cent in April, while imports rose 0.8 per cent.
The country was left with a trade surplus of 18.5 billion dollars for the month, against expectations of a trade surplus of 13.9 billion dollars.
“We’ve seen a lot of negative headlines about China, but as long they can show a decent growth … it’s supportive for the oil market,” Nunan said.
Oil benchmarks rose by more than one dollar on both sides of the Atlantic on Wednesday. The rise occurred after data from the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) showed an unexpected drop in U.S. inventories in the week ended May 2.
Total stocks fell 1.8 million barrels last week, according to the EIA, compared with analyst’s forecasts for a 1.4-million-barrel build.
Stocks fell 1.4 million barrels at Cushing, Oklahoma, delivery point for the U.S. futures contract, their lowest since 2008. Decline in stock negates efforts to restore vital oil exports from Libya .
Rebels occupying major oil ports in the east said on Wednesday they would boycott Prime Minister Ahmed Maiteeq and keep two major export terminals shut for now.
Optimism about higher Libyan exports had helped to put pressure on oil prices since the end of last month when oil ports shut since last year were reopened.
But Libyan oil production remains at just over 250,000 bpd, less than a fifth of output around 1.4 million bpd in mid-2013.
Russian President Vladimir Putin called on pro-Moscow separatists in Ukraine to postpone a vote on secession just five days before it was to be held. This move could remove some of the geopolitical heat from Brent.

Continue Reading

Oil & Energy

MIND Slams PENGASSAN, Urges Senate Probe Over Alleged Maltreatment Of Nigerians At TotalEnergies

Published

on

The Movement of Intellectuals for National Development (MIND) has  criticized the Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN) over what it describes as an evasive response to allegations concerning the treatment of Nigerian employees at TotalEnergies.
In a statement issued by its Western Coordinator, Ebi Warekromo, MIND expressed disappointment at PENGASSAN’s attempt to distance itself from a petition submitted to the President of the Nigerian Senate, maintaining that its petition is grounded in verified evidence and first hand accounts from affected workers.
Warekromo noted that the submission draws extensively from documented correspondence originating from PENGASSAN’s local branch communications that previously raised concerns about unfair labour practices and managerial misconduct within TotalEnergies.
Among the critical issues highlighted are allegations of workplace bullying and intimidation allegedly perpetrated by certain expatriate staff.
The petition also cites serious security concerns and alleged violations of the Nigerian oil and gas industry content development (NOGICD) act, particularly claims that expatriate positions have been unlawfully extended beyond their approved tenures.
Warekromo who dismissed PENGASSAN’s characterization of the documents as merely ‘internal correspondence’ as weak and disingenuous, insisted that workers’ rights violations and systemic oppression cease to be internal matters once they begin to harm Nigerian employees.
The group argued that confidentiality must not be used as a shield for injustice, stressing that internal dispute resolution mechanisms must deliver measurable outcomes.
Where such mechanisms fail, MIND insists that public and legislative oversight becomes necessary
beyond the immediate allegations, questioning PENGASSAN’s independence and effectiveness in representing its members.
The group urged the union to welcome a Senate hearing, describing it as an opportunity to clarify its position, restore credibility, and rebuild trust among workers.
“We are not attacking PENGASSAN. We are responding to the absence of effective representation that has allowed these oppressive practices to persist unchecked”,
MIND emphasised its belief that when unions appear reluctant to act decisively, civil society organizations have a responsibility to intervene in pursuit of justice and equitable labour relations.
Calling for a collaborative response, the group urged workers, unions, regulatory authorities and industry stakeholders to work together toward fostering a healthier and more accountable environment within Nigeria’s oil and gas sector.
It further reiterated its unwavering commitment to defending the rights of Nigerian workers and urged PENGASSAN to take concrete and transparent steps to fulfill its mandate as a labour union.
Continue Reading

Oil & Energy

Elumelu Tasks FG On Power Sector Debt Payment 

Published

on

Chairman of Heirs Holdings, Transcorp and United Bank for Africa (UBA), Tony Elumelu, has urged the Federal Government to fast-track the settlement of debts owed to electricity generation companies (GenCos).
Elumelu said that the timely payment was imperative to boosting power supply and accelerating economic growth.
Speaking to State House correspondents, shortly after the meeting with President Bola Tinubu, at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, Weekend, Elumelu insisted that the debt payment would aid in revitalising the power sector and stabilising the economy while strengthening the Small and Medium-scale Enterprises (SMEs).
He said “All of us who are in the power sector are owed significantly, but in spite of that, we continue to generate electricity. We want to see the payments made so that there will be more provision of electricity to the country. Access to electricity is critical for the development of our economy.”
Elumelu, whose conglomerate has major investments in Nigeria’s power industry, stressed that improving electricity supply remains one of the most important enablers of economic expansion, job creation and industrial productivity.
According to him, President Tinubu recognised the urgency of resolving the liquidity challenges in the power sector and is committed to addressing legacy debts to ensure generation companies can scale operations.
“The President realises it, embraces it and is committed to doing more, especially helping to fast-track the payment of the power sector debt so that power generators can do more for the country. That is very, very critical,” he added.
In his assessment of the outlook for 2026, he said growing macroeconomic stability, improved foreign exchange management and sustained reforms in the power sector could position Nigeria for stronger growth — provided implementation remains consistent and structural bottlenecks are addressed.
Elumelu posited that one priority stands out, which is: resolving power sector liquidity challenges to unlock increased electricity generation and energise the Nigerian economy.
Continue Reading

Oil & Energy

‘Over 86 Million Nigerians Without Electricity’ 

Published

on

Nigeria has been said to have more than 86 million of its population still without access to electricity.
The Deputy Secretary-General of the United Nations, Amina J. Mohammed, stated this at the Award Ceremony of the Leadership Newspaper, in Abuja, last Thursday.
Mohammed noted that sixty per cent of the world’s best solar resources are on this continent adding that by 2040, Africa could generate ten times more electricity than it needs, and entirely from renewables.
Mohammad regretted that Africa now receives just two per cent of global clean energy investment saying, “And here in Nigeria, more than 86 million people still have no access to electricity at all.”
Expressing concerns over the large population of Nigerians living without access to electricity, the deputy scribe, said however, that Nigeria is responding to this challenge the right way insisting that under President Tinubu’s leadership, Nigeria has developed a best-in-class action plan for climate, one that treats climate not as a constraint but as an engine for growth.
According to her, by placing energy access, climate-smart agriculture, clean cooking, and water management at the heart of its development agenda, Nigeria is showing what serious climate leadership looks like but Nigeria cannot close the climate action gap alone.
 “Developed countries must the triple adaptation financing, we need for serious contributions to the Loss and Damage Fund, and mobilize 300 billion dollars per year by 2035 for developing countries to succeed. Early warning systems need to reach everyone, so that communities have the means to prepare for climate shocks before they hit.
“And as Africa drives the global renewables revolution, including through its critical minerals, Africans must be the first and primary beneficiaries of the wealth that they generate”, Mohammed stated.
Continue Reading

Trending