Niger Delta
A’Ibom Decries Land Dispute-Related Losses, Warns Communities
Akwa Ibom State would henceforth use disputed land for development projects rather than allow deaths, Deputy Governor Moses Ekpo has said.
The deputy governor spoke on Wednesday at a meeting to resolve the boundary dispute between Uko Akpan Enwang and Uko Ntighe Uda villages in Mbo Local Government Area.
Ekpo, who condemned the communal clashes, described the destruction of lives and property as senseless, unwarranted and criminal.
He said: “I called this meeting as a warning because you lose so much anytime you inflict yourself with crises. The little palliatives given by the government could have been used for more profitable things, and may never be enough to replace the things destroyed.
“Destroying lives and properties because of land, which originally belongs to God and only held in trust by the government, is wrong.
“We will rather take over the land and manage it than leave it to be the reason for killings and destruction. An industry could be sited there for the interest of both communities.”
Ekpo, who hailed the traditional rulers for their efforts so far, urged them to further engage all parties involved and stakeholders in peaceful discussions to arrive at a peaceful resolution.
He also appealed to the youths to remain peaceful and law abiding as lasting solution was being brokered.
Niger Delta
Oborevwori Launches Medical Outreach For Children With Special Needs
Niger Delta
UniCal Commits To Nursing Education Dev In C’River
Niger Delta
Agency Demolishes Illegal Roadside Structures In Delta N8 by … Clears Street Traders
