Connect with us

Nation

THE STATES

Published

on

The Network of People Living with HIV/AIDS in
Nigeria (NEPLWHAN) has urged the Bauchi State House of Assembly to pass anti-discrimination and stigmatisation bill into law.
The state chairman of the association, Malam Usman Zico, made the call on Thursday in an interview with newsmen in Bauchi.
Zico called on the house to pass the proposed law before the end of the current legislative assembly and present administration in the state.
He said that the bill should also be guided with penalties and fines for offenders as measures to stop acts of stigma and discrimination against his members.
According to him, the law would protect the dignity of people living with the virus.
“The State House of Assembly should look into the discrimination and stigmatisation bill, so that it becomes law before the end of the present administration and penalties be stated on any one found wanting either in public places or in gatherings,’’ he said.

Benue

The All Progressives Congress (APC) in Benue State,
said it would sue two radio stations in the state for libel.
The party’s Organizing Secretary, Mr Tutus Zaam told newsmen in Makurdi that it would drag Radio Benue and Ashi Waves to court as soon as the strike by judiciary workers was over.
Our correspondent reports that Radio Benue is owned by the state government, while Ashi Waves, based in Katsina-Ala, is owned by Dr Terkula Suswam, the elder brother to Gov. Gabriel Suswam.
The organising secretary alleged that the two stations have been “broadcasting libelous information about the party and its candidates on the forthcoming elections in the state.”
Zaam said that the APC had already contacted its lawyers, and would file the necessary papers before court after the nationwide strike.

Ekiti

The wife of Ekiti State Governor, Mrs Feyisetan
Fayose, has donated cash gifts to 20 patients at the State University Teaching Hospital, Ado-Ekiti.
The donation was part of activities marking her 51st birthday, which started last week Thursday.
Making the donation during a visit to the hospital in company of other government functionaries, she said the money was from her personal purse.
Fayose said that the gesture was borne out of her love and passion for the less privileged in the society.
She noted that the donation was also to support the governor at making life more meaningful for the people.

FCT

The Chief of Defence Staff, Air Chief Marshal Alex
Badeh, on Thursday said the military had provided enough welfare package for the families of fallen heroes.
Badeh made this known in an interview with newsmen on the sidelines of the Armed Forces Remembrance Day celebration in Abuja.
He said: “The armed forces generally have so much welfare package for the loved ones left behind by the fallen heroes.
“The Federal Government introduced group life insurance for them that are different from the ones the services do.
“We try to take care of everyone left behind though we can’t say that we’ll solve everybody’s problems but we’ll do what we can within the law.’’

Katsina

A fire outbreak has destroyed more than 100 shops at
Magama-Jibia border market, Jibia Local Government Area of Katsina State.
Eye witnesses told newsmen in Jibia that the fire started around 4:00 a.m.
They said the outbreak was suspected to have been caused by an insane person while warming himself due to the intense harmattan cold.
The fire destroyed property including foodstuffs, clothes and other household items worth millions of Naira.
The Chairman of the Council, Alhaji Aminu Lawal, told newsmen that the incident was a setback to business activities in the area.

Kogi

The Independent National Electoral Commission
(INEC) has commenced distribution of permanent voter cards in all the 239 wards in Kogi State.
This was disclosed in a statement in Lokoja by the Public Relations Officer of INEC in Kogi, Mr Mathew Ameh.
Ameh said that the distribution of the cards at ward level was in line with the decision of the organisation to decentralise the distribution of the cards.
The statement urged all registered voters in the state to go to their various polling units to collect the cards, saying that adequate manpower had been deployed to ensure the success of the exercise.
It also said that its headquarters in Lokoja and offices in all the 21 local government areas of the state would remain opened to genuine complaints from members of the public.

Lagos
The Lagos State University (LASU) said that three
seasoned broadcasters had been deployed to the LASU Radio 95.7FM by the state government for excellent broadcast.
The latest edition of the bulletin of the institution made available to newsmen in Lagos identified the broadcasters as Messrs Oluwatunmise Banjoko, George Abayomi and Adeniyi Lawal.
Banjoko, a staff of EKO FM, had worked in various departments of the organisation before his deployment to the institution’s radio station as the Studio Manager.
In the same vein, Abayomi, a seasoned journalist with 11 years experience with the Radio Lagos/EKO FM, is now the LASU Radio’s News Editor.
The bulletin said that Lawal was redeployed as the institution’s radio Studio Engineer as he was grounded in the art of studio engineering.

Osun

The presidential candidate of the All Progressives
Congress (APC), Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, has promised to create job opportunities through agriculture and mining, if elected.
Buhari made the promise while addressing a rally in Osogbo.
According to him, my administration will focus on agriculture and mining as a way to secure jobs for able Nigerians.
“There is a circle of insecurity, unemployment and corruption in the country which I will break when elected next month’’, he said.
He, however, called on Nigerians and party faithful to collect their PVCs and ensure that their votes count during the polls.

Oyo

L-R: Minister of National Planning Commission, Mr Sulaiman Abubakar, Governor Jonah Jang of Plateau State and Vice President Namadi Sambo, at the National Economic Council meeting in Abuja.

L-R: Minister of National Planning Commission, Mr Sulaiman Abubakar, Governor Jonah Jang of Plateau State and Vice President Namadi Sambo, at the National Economic Council meeting in Abuja.

A former governor of Oyo State, Chief Adebayo Alao-Akala, said on Wednesday that he left N12 billion in the state’s treasury while leaving office.
Alao-Akala said this in a statement signed by his Director of Public Affairs, Mr Oludare Ogunlana, and made available to newsmen in Ogbomoso.
He described as “untrue’’ the allegation leveled against him by Gov. Abiola Ajimobi that he “ wasted’’ N3 billion in a week.
“I left N12 billion in the state’s coffers without any loan or debt,’’ he said.
The former governor also urged Ajimobi to explain how he spent the reported N100 billion the Minister of Finance, Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, said the state had collected as allocation.
Alao-Akala also said that neither his wife nor children were arrested both within and outside the country for money laundering or financial recklessness.

Plateau
As corps members engaged in electoral duties prepare    for the exercise, Mr Abdulrazaq Salawu, the NYSC Coordinator in Plateau State, on Wednesday cautioned politicians against bribing them to compromise on electoral principles.
“We want to advise politicians against seeking to bribe their way to victory by trying to buy corps members assigned to handle the elections.
“Corps members are young people and politicians should not corrupt or spoil their innocent minds,’’ Salahu said in Jos during a visit to the Jos Zonal Office of the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN).
He said some desperate politicians were always out to influence the outcome of elections by seeking to compromise its handlers and advised corps members to be on the watch out for such characters.
“We have briefed corps members and will continue to do so. The name and image of the NYSC is at stake and must be protected by turning down and possibly reporting such attempts to buy their consciences.

Continue Reading

Nation

Sachet Alcohol Fuels Binge Drinking Among Nigerian Youths, Group Warns

Published

on

The Standard Bearers (SB) Islamic Organisation has raised concerns over the growing rate of binge drinking among Nigerian youths, attributing the trend largely to the widespread availability of sachet alcohol.

The group’s position follows the recent move by the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) to enforce a ban on alcoholic beverages packaged in sachets and bottles below 200 millilitres.

In a statement jointly signed by its National Coordinator, Dr. Nurudeen AbdulRaheem, and National Secretary, Malam Qaasim Adegbuyi, the organisation declared its full support for NAFDAC’s decision, describing it as a timely and necessary public health intervention.

AbdulRaheem noted that sachet alcohol, often sold for as little as ?100, has made excessive drinking more accessible, particularly to young people and minors. According to him, the affordability and small packaging of such products have worsened binge drinking, youth addiction and community insecurity.

He explained that binge drinking involves consuming multiple alcoholic drinks within a short period, typically within two hours, a practice that can lead to severe physical and mental health complications as well as legal and social problems.

The SB National Coordinator cited global health data indicating that alcohol is responsible for more than three million deaths annually worldwide and remains a major contributor to road accidents, violence, liver disease and mental health disorders.

While acknowledging concerns from industry stakeholders over the economic implications of the ban, AbdulRaheem maintained that public health considerations must take precedence.

“Public health and the protection of young lives must come first,” he stated, adding that Islamic ethical values, like many societal norms, emphasise the protection of life, intellect and family stability.

The organisation urged NAFDAC and the Federal Government to remain resolute in implementing the policy while also providing transition support for businesses that may be affected by the ban.

According to the group, the enforcement of the ban represents a significant step toward promoting a safer and healthier society.

 

By Favour James

Continue Reading

Nation

HYPREP Unleashes 100 Ogoni Youths Into Maritime Industry …Tasks Them On Discipline, Safety

Published

on

The Hydrocarbon Pollution Remediation Project (HYPREP) has successfully concluded its Seafarers Training Programme for 100 Ogoni youths, positioning them for opportunities in the competitive global maritime industry.

The beneficiaries, who underwent four months of intensive training at Charkin Maritime Academy, Port Harcourt, received their certificates during a close-out ceremony held on Tuesday, February 10, 2026. The event was attended by top management staff of HYPREP, the HYPREP Project Support Lead and Representative of Renaissance Africa Energy Company Limited, the Executive Director of Training and Strategic Planning of Charkin Maritime Academy, the Head of the Seafaring Department, the Principal Consultant of DCL Consulting Firm, and other dignitaries.

Addressing the graduates, HYPREP Project Coordinator, Prof. Nenibarini Zabbey, described the ceremony as a celebration of hard work, dedication, and the beginning of a new chapter in the lives of the young beneficiaries.

He said the graduation symbolises vision, resilience, and hope — hope translated into skills, certificates, and tangible opportunities for a better future for Ogoni youths.

According to him, the passing-out ceremony marks an important milestone in HYPREP’s mandate to restore livelihoods and promote sustainable development in Ogoniland. He urged the beneficiaries to make productive use of the skills and certifications acquired.

“These skills and achievements should not end here but serve as a springboard for self-reliance, dignity of labour, and long-term economic empowerment for the good of Ogoniland and Nigeria,” he stated.

Prof. Zabbey noted that the seafaring programme is significant not only to the beneficiaries but also to HYPREP’s broader livelihood restoration strategy and the Federal Government’s blue economy agenda.

He explained that by equipping the youths with globally relevant maritime skills, HYPREP is opening alternative income opportunities while discouraging oil theft, artisanal refining, re-pollution, and other environmentally harmful practices. He added that the initiative aligns with the directives of the 2016 HYPREP Establishment Gazette and reinforces the Project’s commitment to implementing the recommendations of the UNEP Report on Ogoniland.

Commending Charkin Maritime Academy as a dependable training partner, Zabbey described the institution as one of the foremost maritime training centres in the country.

“This partnership has delivered high-quality results today, and we intend to expand it as we intensify efforts to provide sustainable alternative livelihoods for the Ogoni people,” he said.

He expressed confidence in Ogoni youths as drivers of unity, peace, and progress, noting their resilience and commitment to peace in the area. He reaffirmed HYPREP’s commitment to supporting the aspirations of youths and women in Ogoniland.

The Project Coordinator likened knowledge and certificates to fuel in a vehicle, stressing that they are meant to propel the graduates toward greater heights.

“We hear your voices calling for restoration, and today, environmental and livelihood restoration are gradually unfolding before your eyes, bringing renewed hope. We continue to lay brick upon brick, building pillars of Ogoni development, as evidenced by the Centre of Excellence for Environmental Restoration (CEER), which is 93 per cent completed,” he added.

He emphasised that HYPREP’s approach integrates all projects and interventions toward achieving environmental sustainability and long-term development in Ogoniland.

Also speaking, the HYPREP Project Support Lead and Representative of Renaissance Africa Energy Company Limited, Engr. Ehioze Igbinomwahia, said the graduates had gained not only technical maritime skills but also discipline, resilience, and confidence to compete globally.

He described their graduation as the beginning of a new journey and noted that the UNEP Report emphasised that environmental restoration must be complemented by sustainable livelihoods, capacity building, and youth empowerment.

“Without empowering people, restoration cannot be complete. Programmes such as this maritime training represent practical steps toward creating employment pathways, dignity, and long-term community stability,” he said.

Engr. Igbinomwahia added that Renaissance Africa Energy Company Limited remains committed to supporting environmental recovery, human capacity development, and sustainable economic opportunities in Ogoniland and the wider Niger Delta.

Highlighting the importance of discipline and safety, he urged the graduates to be ambassadors of professionalism and integrity.

“The sea you are about to enter is vast and sometimes challenging, but it is also full of opportunity. Let discipline guide your actions, let safety remain your constant companion, and let your character speak for you wherever you go,” he advised.

Similarly, the Executive Director of Training and Strategic Planning at Charkin Maritime Academy, Captain Joseph Awodeha, who represented the Chairman, Dr. Charles Wami, emphasised discipline and safety as critical to career success in the maritime sector.

The Head of the Seafaring Department, Captain Jonathan Hammond, urged the graduates to remain humble and disciplined, noting that such virtues are essential for career growth.

In his remarks, the Principal Consultant of DCL Consulting Firm, Barrister Dornu Baridan, commended the beneficiaries for successfully scaling through the
rigorous selection process and completing their training as seafarers.

Continue Reading

Nation

Nigerian Society of Engineers Inaugurates 14-Member Executives In Rivers”

Published

on

The Nigerian Society of Engineers, Port Harcourt Branch, Rivers State, has elected 14 member executives to lead the organization for the 2025/2026 year. Engr. Belema Fubara Ekine, FNSE, is the 23rd chairman.

The inauguration ceremony, held at the Engr. Ishmael A. Branch Secretariat, 3 Benard Carr Street (Waterworks Yard), Port Harcourt, attracted members of the engineering profession from within and outside the state.

Other elected executives include:
Engr. Samuel H. Kwelle, MNSE – Vice Chairman
Engr. Dr. Promise Jumbo, FNSE – General Secretary
Engr. Priye P. K. Lawson, MNSE – Assistant Secretary
Engr. Patrick O. Udegbunam, MNSE – Treasurer.

Others are Engr. Hilda D. Batubo, MNSE – Financial Secretary
Engr. Bowei M. Dauseighe, MNSE – Technical Secretary
Engr. Charles O. Okwakpam, MNSE – Assistant Technical Secretary
Engr. Agnes Komolafe, MNSE – Membership Secretary
Engr. Dike N. Livingstone, MNSE – Publicity Secretary

Also elected are Engr. Ayebaye Daniel Wanatoi, MNSE – Welfare Secretary
Engr. Oribiokpomari I. Comfort, MNSE – Internal Auditor
Engr. Dr. Idaeresoari Harriet Ateke, FNSE – Immediate Past Chairman
Engr Dr Hachimenum Amadi, FNSE (Ex-Officio)

 

In his a goodwill message, the Secretary to the Rivers State Government, Hon. Frederick Anabraba, urged the new executive to maintain high ethical standards and move the association forward.

In his acceptance speech, the newly elected chairman, Engr. Belema Fubara Ekine, FNSE, promised an inclusive administration and teamwork, focusing on collaboration with stakeholders. He had begun building partnerships with Rivers State University and the University of Port Harcourt.

The highlight was the inauguration lecture, “Engineering Solution for Security, Energy Access and Sustainable Development,” delivered by Engr. Victor Bandele, Deputy Managing Director, Deepwater Assets, TotalEnergies EP Nigeria Limited.

Continue Reading

Trending