Nation
THE STATES
Benue
An Anglican Bishop, Bishop Nathan Inyom, has appealed to the management of Benue State Emergency Management Agency (BSEMA) to take relief materials to other flood displaced persons who were not in the camps.
Inyom told our correspondent in Makurdi that most of the displaced persons were not in camps but were staying with relatives who were not affected by the flood.
The Executive Secretary of the agency, Mr Adikpo Akpatse, had in an earlier interview with newsmen, confirmed that more than 80 per cent of the flood victims were staying outside the camps.
The bishop argued that “by tradition, our people do not like staying in camps, they prefer to stay with relatives, so, such people should be given the relief materials.”
He maintained that the materials were meant for all displaced persons and not restricted to those living in the camps.
Borno
The Borno State Government is to construct township roads in Maiduguri with interlocking blocks, Governor Kashim Shettima announced in Maiduguri.
Shettima who made the announcement while inspecting equipment acquired by the government for the project explained that the use of interlocking blocks was to save cost and provide employment for unemployed youths in the state.
He said that the state had already taken delivery of 12 heavy duty lorries, pay-loaders and rollers for the take-off of the project.
“We are trying to embark on mass construction of township roads, using interlocking blocks.
Ekiti
Governor Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti State says that the Federal Government owed the state N6 billion over the construction of some federal road projects.
Fayemi made the statement while addressing the people in Ado-Ekiti as part of events to round off the second anniversary of his administration.
Fayemi said the state was now ranked the least in terms of material and child mortality owing to the good governance he had put in place, pointing out that the state had the highest life expectancy in Nigeria owing to his ability to provide quality leadership that was devoid of rancor and unnecessary political upheavals that dogged the state in the past.
The governor said that he had been able to give the people hope in spite of a N40 billion debt and uncompleted projects his administration inherited from the past administration.
FCT
The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN) in Abuja has expressed concern over the high cost of governance in the country and called for a review. .
ICAN President, Mr Adedoyin Owolabi expressed the view at the opening ceremony of the 42nd ICAN Annual Accountants Conference in Abuja.
Owolabi said government needed to “urgently” revisit the cost of governance which had continued to take its toll on public funds.
“Here lies the justification and urgent need for the merger of related public sector institutions, as recently recommended by the Steve Oronsaye committee so that they can deliver on their mandate,” he said.
He added: “We must take those painful but necessary decisions that will lead us to where we desire to be as a nation by the year 2020.”
Kaduna
The Kaduna State Police Command has denied involvement in the killing of 22 persons at Dogon-Dawa village in Birnin Gwari Local Government on Sunday.
The denial followed media reports alleging that some senior police officers led the attack.
The Commissioner of Police, Mr Olufemi Adenaike told newsmen in Kaduna that no police officer was at the scene of the attack.
Kano
Warawa Local Government Council in Kano State, has donated food items worth millions of naira to victims of the recent flood disaster in the area.
Our correspondent reports that the items include 200 bags of rice, 200 bags of maize and 150 jerrycans of vegetable oil, among others.
The council’s Interim Management Officer, Mr Salisu Bebeji disclosed this in an interview with newsmen in Kano.
Bebeji said that the items were distributed on October 12, to the affected persons in five villages of the area and noted that the state government had donated some relief materials to the victims to alleviate their sufferings.
The officer urged the beneficiaries to make the best use of the commodities to cushion the effect of the disaster.
Katsina
HIV/AIDS prevalence rate has dropped from over three per cent to two per cent in Katsina State, the Executive Secretary of the Katsina State Agency for the Control of AIDS (SACA), Dr Muntari Hassan, has revealed.
Hassan made the revelation in Katsina when members of the state’s Youth Coalition Against AIDS, Drugs and Violence called on him.
He said that the reduction of the infection was achieved through continuous public enlightenment and sensitisation by the agency and some non-governmental bodies.
Hassan noted that the assistance being provided by various counseling and testing centres had also facilitated the reduction of the infection in the state.
“In 2008, there were only nine counseling and testing centres in the state but now the number of such centres had increased to 52”.
Kebbi
The House of Representatives’ Committee on Works and Housing has given a three-month ultimatum to the contractor rehabilitating the Jega- Koko/Besse road in Kebbi State to either complete it or have the contract revoked.
The committee’s Deputy Chairman, Rep. Ali Wudil issued the ultimatum when he led other members on an inspection visit to the project site.
Contract for the 60 km-road rehabilitation project was awarded by the Federal Government at N966.8 million.
Wudil bemoaned the slow pace of work at the site and complained about the contractor’s attitude to work.
Kwara
The Kwara State Police Command in Ilorin paraded three suspects for alleged illegal possession of firearms.
The Police Public Relations Officer, Femi Fabode, told newsmen that the accused were arrested by intelligence operatives of the ‘B’ Division in Ilorin on suspicion of belonging to a gang of thieves.
Fabode said that when the accused persons were searched, one locally made pistol, two live cartridges, two motorcycle receipt booklets and two stamps were recovered from them.
Lagos
The Nigerian Navy Basic Training School (NNBTS), Onne, Port Harcourt, on Tuesday, withdrew the admission of 55 trainees, including four women, for alleged certificate forgery.
The Flag Officer Commanding (FOC), Naval Training Command, Apapa, Rear Admiral Azubuike Ajuonu, made the fact known to newsmen in Lagos.
Azubuike said that the suspects had been handed over to the police in Port Harcourt for further investigation, adding that if found guilty, the trainees, who spent three months in the school, risked seven years imprisonment.
The FOC said that the command had a process of weeding candidates with fake school certificates through verification from various examination bodies.
“The verification is a continuous process, nobody will come to navy with false certificate and nobody will come to navy with a brother’s certificate.
Nasarawa
The Nasarawa State Commissioner for Works, Alhaji Bala Wada-Adamu, has told civil servants in the country to always update their knowledge through research and training.
Wada-Adamu told our correspondent in Lafia that the advice became necessary to make the workers to meet global demands of actualising an effective civil service.
He spoke shortly after a reception in honour of Mr Mohammed Ramalan, the retiring director of building in the ministry.
The commissioner, who elaborated on the benefits of being a dedicated staff, advised civil servants to put in their best while in service.
He explained that “good work never goes in vain,” noting “there is reward for every hard work we do.”
Niger
The Niger State Environmental Protection Agency (NISEPA) says it has introduced a buy-back programme towards evacuating empty sachet water packs off the streets.
The General Manager of the agency, Dr Yakubu Yandai told our correspondent in Minna that the programme was aimed at preventing environmental hazards.
“We have commenced a programme known as ‘Buy-back empty sachet water packs and used plastics from consumers.
“The programme will start with three environmental clubs in public secondary schools in Minna, which will buy-back the wastes and bring them to us for recycling.
Ogun
The Ogun State Ministry of Culture and Tourism has promised to make this year’s edition of the Ojude-Oba festival, scheduled for October 28, a memorable one.
The Special Adviser to the Governor on Culture and Tourism, Miss Busola Ogundele made the pledge at a media briefing on the event in Ijebu-Ode.
Ogundele said the festival had placed the Ijebus and the state as a whole on the international map, pointing out that the annual event had also attracted tourists and investors to the state.
Nation
Northern Community Gets New Dan Buran In Rivers state
The Arewa /Northern Community in Rivers state has appointed Alhaji Shuaibu Wada Madawakin Tilda as the Acting Dan Buran Rivers State.
The appointment is subject to confirmation by the Cabinet Council.
The appointment follows the dethronement of the former occupant,
Alhaji Musa Saeedu.
A statement from the Palace of the Sarkin Arewa/Northern Community (Sarkin Hausawan) in Rivers State and signed by His Royal Highness, Alhaji Hussaini Isah said the dethronement is with immediate effect.
The statement further disclosed that the decision follows an allegation of acts of insubordination and conduct considered contrary to the values, discipline, and traditions of the Northern community perpetuated by the Fmr Dan Buran.
The statement advised the public to discontinue to recognising and addressing Alhaji Musa Saeedu as the Dan Buran of the State, adding that he no longer holds the title and remained suspended.
Responding via telephone interview, Alhaji Musa Saeedu said he will not make any comment regarding the matter.
Nation
French Teachers Day 2025: PH Celebrates International French Teachers Day
The Alliance Française of Port Harcourt opened its doors to more than sixty French language teachers from Port Harcourt and across Rivers State at the weekend for an afternoon dedicated to celebration, creativity, and community spirit.
The event which was Supported by the Embassy of France in Nigeria, forms part of the global celebrations marking the Journée Internationale du Professeur de Français (French Teachers Day) a day officially set aside to observe worldwide every 20 November.
The Tide Entertainment reports that every year, French teachers around the globe are honoured for the passion and dedication they bring into their classrooms.In 2025, the theme chosen “Chanter, jouer, enseigner: la francophonie en musique” (Sing, Play, Teach: Francophonie in Music) invited the entire community to explore the joy of teaching through song, performance, and artistic expression.
A Day that brings teachers together for the French teaching community in Port Harcourt, this celebration is much more than a ceremony, it is a rare moment to step away from the classroom and reconnect with the simple joy of sharing, learning, and creating together.
The Alliance Française transformed the occasion into a space buzzing with music and entertainment. Teachers from primary schools, secondary schools, universities, and adult learning centers gathered to exchange ideas, reconnected with colleagues, and discover each other’s talents in an atmosphere filled with warmth and friendship.
Honouring Creativity with the theme “Our Teachers Have Talent!”This year, the Embassy of France launched a national contest titled “Nos profs ont du talent!” (“Our Teachers Have Talent !”), participants were invited to either interpret or create a Francophone song.For a month, from 13 October to 13 November 2025, teachers from across the country submitted their performances online, filling the digital space with francophone music.While winners of this nationwide competition were announced.
According to the the Director, Mrs Marina Lacal, Alliance Française Port Harcourt, excitement and anticipation were added to the celebrations, saying that in Port Harcourt, the festivities went even further. Port Harcourt experienced a Unique Celebration that went beyond the online competition, Alliance Française Port Harcourt created something special, an event where teachers met physically, shared moment of joy, and present their musical talents live.On stage, teachers sang the songs they love and those they have created, showcasing the creativity that animates their classrooms every day.
She explained that that off stage, they( participants )shared stories, network with colleagues, laughed together, and celebrated their unique contribution to the promotion of the French language in Rivers State.This gathering is also a moment of recognition. Every day, French teachers open doors for thousands of learners, children discovering their first French words, teenagers preparing for exams, university students shaping their future careers, and adults embracing new opportunities.
“Today, the spotlight shines on them. More Than an Event, A Tribute to Their Dedication The 2025 celebration in Port Harcourt was a heartfelt tribute to the teachers who make French come alive, those who inspire, guide, and encourage learners with unwavering commitment,” Mrs. Lacal said
The Director explained that It recognises their resilience, their creativity, and their essential role in building bridges between cultures.By offering them a moment of relaxation, fun, artistic expression, and professional networking, Alliance Française Port Harcourt reaffirms its mission to support educators, strengthen the teaching community, and celebrate the vibrant energy of the Francophonie in Nigeria.
Climax of the exciting event was the presentation of prizes to winners of the competition.
Nation
OGONI ARISE CONCERT 2025: A Triumph Of Unity, Peace, And Cultural Pride
The Chairman Advisory Committee on Entertainment and Performing Arts, Khana Local Government Area, Hon. Lexy M. Mueka has expressed gratitude to the Chairman of Khana Local Government Area Dr. Thomas Bariere for his support and vision in promoting entertainment as a tool for peacebuilding and youth engagement.
Hon Mueka made this known to the Tide Entertainment during a recently concluded concert tagged “OGONI ARISE CONCERT” held at the No. 6 Field, Old Port Harcourt Township.
According to him, the concert was not just an event but a movement aimed at reawakening the cultural consciousness of the Ogoni people and inspiring the younger generation to use their talents positively.
The Tide Entertainment reports that the event, organized by Triple 3 Entertainment under the auspices of the office of the Chairman Advisory committee on Entertainment and Performing Arts to the Chairman of Khana Local Government Area, was a vibrant celebration of peace, unity, and cultural renaissance among the Ogoni people.
“Conceptualized as a platform to promote social harmony, empower young creatives, and showcase the rich artistic heritage of Ogoniland, the Ogoni Arise Concert succeeded in bringing together community leaders, entertainers, and the general public in a rare show of solidarity. The event featured electrifying performances by indigenous and regional artistes, dance troupes, comedians, and cultural ambassadors, all united under one message — Ogoni is rising again,” Hon. Mueka said.
“The Ogoni Arise Concert was designed to remind us of who we are — a people of strength, creativity, and unity. We wanted to show that entertainment can be a bridge for peace, a voice for our youth, and a celebration of our identity,” he added.
The event also featured a special Award Presentation Ceremony recognizing distinguished Ogoni sons and daughters who have made remarkable contributions in areas such as leadership, humanitarian service, creative excellence, and cultural promotion. The awards added a touch of prestige and purpose, reinforcing the concert’s theme of celebrating excellence while inspiring future generations.
Security at the event venue was top-notch, turnout of attendance impressive, and the atmosphere electric throughout the night.
Meanwhile, guests and participants had described the event as “historic, well-organized, and truly uplifting.”
