Nation
THE STATES
Benue
A Benue State-based Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO), House of Hilkiah Foundation, says educating the girl-child is a veritable tool that can help to minimise gender-based violence in the country.
The Chief Executive Officer of the foundation, Miss Dorothy Akende said this in an interview with newsmen last Monday in Makurdi.
He, therefore, urged the three tiers of government to focus more on girl-child education.
Akende said that the group had been involved in advocacy, encouraging communities to educate the girl child through its humanitarian services and education initiatives.
The founder of the NGO added that aside supporting education initiatives, the group had continued to fight retrogressive cultural practices on the girl child in the country.
Borno
The Nigerian Army on Sunday said it had foiled a bomb attack and killed three female suicide bombers in Konduga Local Government Council of Borno State.
A statement signed by the Director Army Public Relations Brig. Gen. Sani Usman and made available in Maiduguri on Saturday night, said the incident occurred at Kawuri village of the council.
Usman said that the female suicide bombers were killed when they tried to attack a military formation in the area.
“Troops of 103 Battalion, Operation Lafiya Dole, on Saturday morning, neutralised three female suicide bombers trying to infiltrate their location at Kawuri, Konduga Local Government Area of Borno State.
“The female suicide bombers, who were on obvious mission of committing mayhem, were spotted by a vigilant sentry while trying to access the military location.
FCT
The Director-General of the Nigerian Army Resource Centre, Maj.-Gen. Johnny Hammakim, says more still need to be done to check violent extremism in the country even though Boko Haram has been degraded.
Hammakim said this last Monday when he declared open a four-day course on “Leadership in Counter-Terrorism and Counter, Violent Extremism’’ for senior military officers, police, para-military personnel and other stakeholders.
The course is organised by the resource centre in collaboration with the Peace Building Development Foundation (PBDF).
Hammakim described terrorism as a dynamic challenge where various issues come up every day.
“The ability to identify those issues and educate these stakeholders is very important that is why we are organising this course,’’ he said.
Gombe
The Gombe State Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board (MPWB), says transportation of pilgrims from the state to Saudi Arabia for the 2017 hajj will begin on August 2.
The Secretary, Gombe State MPWB, Alhaji Usman Gurama, announced this last Thursday in Gombe, when he briefed newsmen on activities for the 2017 pilgrimage.
He said that preparations had reached about 95 per cent, and urged the pilgrims to abide by the flight schedule.
“When we talk of preparation for this year’s hajj, as far as Gombe State is concerned, we can say it is almost over, because we have achieved more than 95 per cent level of preparation so far.
“At this material time, we are close to even commencing the airlift of pilgrims.
Kaduna
Governor Nasiru el-Rufa’i of Kaduna State last Sunday appealed to parents to inculcate fear of God in children to ensure decent society and facilitate national growth.
He made the plea at award presentation ceremony for Qur’anic memorisation and Islamic quiz completion held in Zaria.
The competition was organised by Rep. Abbas Tajuddeen (APC Zaria) for schools in 13 wards of his constituency.
el-Rufa’i, represented by Executive Secretary, Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board, Sheik Hussaini Tsoho-Ikara, said the call was necessary because fear of God was a key to success.
While stressing the importance of religious education in shaping peoples’ life, el-Rufa’i observed that in life, there was nothing better than engaging in the services of the holy Qur’an.
Kano
The Nigerian Export and Promotion Council (NEPC), has proposed to the Federal Government the approval of five billion naira to support industries in the country.
The NEPC Executive Director Mr Olusegun Awolowo, made this disclosure last Monday during an inspection visit to some industries in Kano.
“One of our major aims for this visit is to find out the challenges these companies are facing and find a way to see how we can assist them in addressing them.
“The intervention is part of the Federal Government’s Export Development Fund for industries for pre-shipment incentive for exporters, which has been stopped three years ago,’’ he said.
Lagos
An Obstetrician and Gynaecologist, Dr Olawale Oba, has advised pregnant women to embrace vaginal birth rather than Cesarean Section (CS) if they have no medical condition warranting it.
Oba, who is a Senior Registrar, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH), Idi-Araba, gave the advice in an interview with newsmen in Lagos.
“There are so many misconceptions about CS and vaginal birth; some women think that giving birth through vagina can slack their vagina.
“Some women are asking for cesarean section based on the fact that vaginal birth is painful.
Nasarawa
The Nasarawa State House of Assembly in Lafia last Wednesday passed a resolution, urging Gov.Umar Al-makura to arrest, prosecute and sack government officials found diverting fertilisers in the state.
The resolution was sequel to a motion on the matter, which was moved by Assemblyman Abubakar Kana (APC-Kokona West), Chairman, House Committee on Agriculture.
The Speaker of the Assembly, Alhaji Ibrahim Balarabe-Abdullahi, said that such action would serve as a deterrent to others and help in boosting food production in the state.
He called on farmers to report any case of diversion of fertilisers in their communities to the appropriate authorities for necessary action.
Niger
Wife of the Niger State Governor and founder, RAISE Foundation Cancer Screening Centre, Dr Amina Bello, said last Thursday that the foundation would partner with the Nigeria Association of Women Journalists (NAWOJ), to empower women in the state.
Bello said this when members of the state chapter of the association paid her a courtesy visit in Minna.
The foundation, an NGO, was established to raise awareness and spur affirmation on issues affecting the survival and growth of women and the girl-child.
Bello said that through the partnership, both organisations would engage in advocacy for improved reproductive health rights,awareness campaign on maternal and child health and development of the girl-child.
Ogun
For breaking into a church and stealing a set of drums valued at N75,000, a 44-year-old man, Prosper Onaka, is to spend the next three years in prison, an Ogun State court ruled last Monday.
An Ota Magistrates’ Court ordered that Prosper Onaka should be sent to jail for three years for breaking into a church and stealing a drum set worth N75,000.
The Senior Magistrate, Mr S.O. Banwo, who gave the ruling, did not give the convict an option of fine.
The Tide source eports that Prosper, whose address is unknown, had pleaded guilty to a two-count charge of stealing and burglary brought against him.
Earlier, the Prosecutor, Sgt. Chudu Gbesi, told the court that the accused committed the offences on July 11 at 6.30.p.m. at Iyana-Iyesi near Ota.
Osun
Governor Rauf Aregbesola of Osun State has described the death of the popular playwright, Adebayo Faleti, as a huge loss to the Yoruba language and cultural heritage.
In a condolence message issued on Monday in Osogbo by his media aide, Mr Semiu Okanlawon, Aregbesola said Faleti was a ‘complete man of the theatre – an actor, director, choreographer and designer ’ who created performance spaces influenced by traditional architectural forms. ‘’
He said the appearance and dressing of Faleti spoke volumes of his origin, adding that he was always ready to advocate the promotion of Yoruba language and culture.
”I received with great sadness, news of the passing away of one of Nigeria’s gifted scholars, culture icons, nationalists and top-on-the-shelf dramatists, Pa Adebayo Faleti.
”The death of the playwright, theatre director and teacher was a huge loss not only to the creative world alone but also to the world of Yoruba language and culture heritage which he promoted till his death,’’ he said.
Yobe
A team of 25 doctors and other medical personnel have conducted successful surgeries, blood transfusions, emergency cases and general consultations for 650 patients at a medical outreach in Buni-Yadi, Yobe State.
Chairman MaiGoje Foundation, Dr Mohammed Goje, disclosed this in an interview with newsmen last Sunday in Damaturu.
He said the foundation, Smile Mission and Edushine Organisation on Saturday, organised the outreach to provide healthcare service to the people.
According to him, the decision to organise the retreat is due to lack of functional health institution in Buni Yadi since the residents returned after their displacement by insurgents.
Goje said the doctors came from Kano, Abuja, Lagos, Maiduguri and Damaturu to provide free medical services to the community.
He said the outreach attended to cases of gynecology, pediatrics, dental, ear, nose and throat, and general ailments.
Nation
Youths Vow To Continue Protest Over Dilapidated Highway
Youths from five local government areas in Northern Cross River State have concluded a one-week warning protest and blockade of the dilapidated Ikom-Wula-Obudu federal highway over the weekend.
They have vowed to resume the road blocks if by this week the authorities do not intervene to fix the road.
More than five thousand locals, mostly youths from Obanliku, Etung, Obudu, Ikom and Boki LGAs trooped out everyday for one week, used palm trees to block the highway to draw state and federal government’s attention to their plights, requesting the repair of a road has has been unmotorable for about 40 years.
They warned that if they do not see any actions from the state or federal governments, they will resume their Plan B protest, stop revenue collections and make governance unpalatable.
The youths also warned that without interventions on the road which has claimed several lives, including that of last week when a pregnant woman died with her baby in the full glare of the protesters because of the terrible road, no election can hold in the area next year.
One of the leaders of the No Road , No Election protest, who is also the Abo Youths in Boki LGA, Dr Martins Assam said both the federal and state governments have neglected the region, which generates more than 70 percent state revenue from agriculture.
He said if machinery is not deployed by next week, they will not have any option than to embark on unpalatable and disastrous protest, and stop revenue collections in the area.
“Last week we had only a warning strike for one good week. We’ll embark on a more elaborate, disastrous one-month blockade of this highway until they intervene. We call on our Governor and representatives in the National Assembly to act now by impressing on the federal government to immediately fix this road else. We’re not asking for two much but to be treated as human beings.”
Another protester, Clinton Obi from the Etung axis said, “We’ve been neglected for 40 years. This Ikom-Obudu federal highway had been impassable. The government has removed its concentration from our plights. By this one week protest, we want action on this road otherwise the next phase of protest will be costly.”
Reverend Father Francis Amaozo, priest in charge of St. Nicholas parish in Nashua, Boki LGA said, “I have also been a victim of this very deplorable road. Enough is now enough. We’ve been betrayed by our representatives and other leaders, so that we in this axis have become endangered species on this road. I have lost some many members on this road.”
Member, representing the Boki-Ikom federal constituency of the state in the House of Representatives, Bisong Victor Abang had pleaded with the locals to be a bit more patient with the government as action will commence shortly.
Nation
UNIPORT VC Receives Inaugural Lecture Brochure As Professor Highlights Urgent Need For Drug Repurposing In Malaria Fight
The Vice Chancellor of the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT), Prof Owunari Georgewill, last Thursday received the inaugural lecture brochure from the Inaugural Lecturer, Professor Udeme Georgewill, during a ceremony at the university’s Centre of Excellence attended by academics, researchers, students, and distinguished guests.
Delivering her lecture, Professor Udeme Georgewill described the occasion as the culmination of years of dedicated research, teaching, and service to humanity. He explained that his work as a pharmacologist has consistently focused on finding practical, affordable, and scientifically sound solutions to health challenges that disproportionately affect developing countries, particularly malaria, which remains one of Nigeria’s most pressing public health concerns.
She noted that Nigeria continues to bear one of the heaviest malaria burdens globally, accounting for a significant percentage of worldwide cases and deaths. The disease, largely caused by the Plasmodium falciparum parasite and transmitted through Anopheles mosquitoes, remains especially dangerous for children under five years and pregnant women, threatening not only present populations but unborn generations. Despite years of intervention efforts, malaria continues to strain families, health systems, and the national economy.
Prof Georgewill empha-sised that while Artemisinin-based Combination Therapies such as Artemether-Lumefantrine remain the gold standard for malaria treatment, emerging resistance patterns pose a serious challenge. He explained that drug resistance is a survival mechanism of the parasite, enabling it to adapt and reduce the effectiveness of medications designed to eliminate it. According to her, instances where patients do not feel better after initial treatment sometimes lead to repeated dosing or the search for injectable alternatives, practices that can worsen resistance and complicate treatment outcomes.
Against this backdrop, she advocated strongly for drug repurposing as a strategic and urgent response. Drug repurposing, he explained, involves identifying new therapeutic uses for already approved and widely available medications. He likened the concept to “old wine in new wineskins,” stressing that medicines already proven safe for certain conditions can be carefully re-evaluated and optimised for new roles in malaria management. This approach, she argued, offers advantages such as reduced research timelines, lower development costs, and faster clinical application compared to developing entirely new drugs from scratch.
She disclosed that her research had progressed from laboratory investigations to clinical evaluations, where his team is studying combinations involving Artemether-Lumefantrine and Ivermectin to determine their effectiveness in improving treatment outcomes and possibly reducing transmission. Clinical trials are ongoing, and findings will be communicated upon completion of regulatory processes. However, he cautioned strongly against self-medication, warning that misuse of drugs without proper diagnosis and prescription can lead to organ damage, treatment failure, and increased resistance.
Referencing global health commitments, Prof Georgewill highlighted Sustainable Development Goal 3.3, which seeks to end epidemics of malaria and other major infectious diseases by 2030. She questioned whether the goal remains attainable under current realities, especially with growing resistance and funding gaps. He also referred to strategies of the World Health Organisation aimed at drastically reducing malaria incidence and mortality while pushing toward elimination in several countries.
Looking ahead, she revealed that her team is building comprehensive research databases to support artificial intelligence-driven drug repurposing. He stressed that the integration of artificial intelligence, molecular docking, and advanced screening technologies is transforming global drug discovery, and Nigerian researchers must be equipped to participate competitively in this evolving scientific landscape.
In her recommendations, she called for the establishment of a National Centre for Drug Repurposing to coordinate research efforts and leverage artificial intelligence in identifying new indications for existing medicines. He urged policymakers to simplify and accelerate the translation of laboratory discoveries into clinical application, ensuring that scientific breakthroughs benefit the public more efficiently. She also appealed to the university and relevant authorities to increase funding and modernise laboratory infrastructure, including high-throughput screening facilities, to strengthen Nigeria’s position in global biomedical research.
The lecture concluded with expressions of gratitude to God, the university leadership, colleagues, students, and guests, as the event underscored the University of Port Harcourt’s commitment to research excellence and its role in addressing critical public health challenges facing Nigeria and the wider world.
Nation
Niger CAN Rejects Proposed Hisbah Bill, Urges Gov Bago Not To Assent
The Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, Niger State Chapter, has rejected the proposed Niger State Hisbah Directorates Bill, describing it as controversial and capable of deepening religious division in the state.
In a statement signed by the State Chairman, Bishop Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, and made available to The Tide’s source yesterday, the association urged Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago not to assent to the bill if it is passed by the State House of Assembly.
The bill, sponsored by the member representing Chanchaga Constituency, Hon. Mohammed Abubakar, seeks to establish a Hisbah Directorate in Niger State.
CAN warned that the legislation could be perceived as discriminatory against Christians and may heighten tension in the religiously diverse state.
“Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago, we, the entire Christendom in the state, wish to draw your attention to what could easily create division among the people you govern,” the statement read in part.
The association questioned the necessity and benefits of the proposed law, asking what economic or social value it would add to the state.
It further argued that existing security agencies, including the Nigeria Police and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, already have constitutional mandates to maintain law and order.
The Christian body also faulted the legislative process, disputing claims that it was consulted during a public hearing on the bill.
It insisted that it was neither invited nor notified of any such engagement, despite being a critical stakeholder in the state.
-
Politics3 days agoAPC Releases Adjusted Timetable For Nationwide Congresses, Convention
-
Sports3 days ago
DG NIS Wants NSC Board Constituted, Seeks Increased In Funding
-
Business3 days agoCustoms Seek Support To Curb Smuggling In Ogun
-
Featured3 days agoINEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
-
Sports3 days agoSWAN Rivers Set-up Five Functional Committees
-
News3 days ago
Police Bust Kidnapping Syndicate In PH
-
Sports3 days ago
NSC Disburses N200m Training Grants To 26 Athletes
-
Sports3 days ago
‘NTF Will Build On Davis Cup Success For Brighter Future’
