Connect with us

Nation

THE STATES

Published

on

Borno
Three teenage female suicide bombers were last Wednesday night killed in Maiduguri, Borno State, when they attempted to attack a military outpost popularly called “Gontanamo” along Muna Garage.
According to a press statement by the spokesman of the National Emergency Management Authority (NEMA), Abdulkadir Ibrahim, the three teenage female bombers detonated the explosives strapped on them so as to avoid being arrested.
Ibrahim said a security officer, who was among those who intercepted the three teenagers, was injured.
The statement read,“Yesterday (Wednesday) night 3/5/2017, at 10:05pm, three female teenage suicide bombers attempted to attack military outpost popularly known as ‘Gontanamo’ along Muna garage.
“They were sighted, trying to gain access to the premises and were shot by the securities leading to the detonation of their concealed explosives, which killed all three of them and injured one of the security personnel.”

FCT
A Bill for a law, to provide N100, 000 fine for people who distort the country’s national flag, passed second reading at the House of Representatives last Thursday.
Sponsor of the bill, Rep. Sam Onuigbo (Abia-PDP), in the debate, said the bill sought to amend Flag and Coat of Arms Act 2004 and would make further provisions to preserve the country’s national heritage.
He said, there had been surreptitious effort to change the national flag as many public and private offices constructed the Coat-of Arms on it.
Onuigbo said that, the offices even included official photographs of governors, ministers, and even national assembly members in the designs.
According to him, it is important to declare that any addition, subtraction or superimposition outside the version designed by Pa Michael Akinkunmi in 1959 is not the Nigerian flag.

Kano
Former Nigeria’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations, Dr Maitama Sule has called on Nigerians to support President Muhammadu Buhari’s war against corruption.
Sule, made the call last Thursday, during the unveiling of NIPOST Anti-Corruption stamps at the Coronation Hall, Kano.
He said that, the anti-graft crusade launched by the present administration should be seen as a collective aspiration by all Nigerians and not necessarily Buhari’s individual struggle.
“The fight against corruption is a collective one. We are grateful to have a courageous president who said enough is enough,” Sule noted.
The one-time UN envoy expressed the hope that the Buhari administration would change Nigeria’s battered image abroad and curb corruption.

Katsina
Governor Aminu Masari of Katsina State, has accused senior civil servants in the state of sabotaging government activities.
Masari, made this known at a special dinner organised for labour leaders in Katsina State last Monday, to mark the May Day.
“Some senior civil servants have been indulging in acts that are against the progress of government programmes and policies.
“We are aware that some of the senior civil servants that we inherited from the previous administration have not been assisting the present government to implementing certain programmes.
“The present government believed that, civil servants are the engine room of the government but some senior civil servants are sabotaging our efforts.

Kebbi
The Senate has called on the Federal Government to assist Ngaski Local Government in Kebbi State, which recently lost 26 people in a boat mishap in River Niger, to blast stones and fell trees that hinder safe navigation.
This followed a motion by the Deputy Leader of the Senate, Bala Ibn Na’Allah, at plenary on Thursday.
The senate urged the government to assist the affected communities in the area with modern 50-seater boats to alleviate the transportation needs of the communities.
The Upper Chamber, also urged the Ministry of Transport through the National Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA), to immediately conduct a survey into the stretch of River Niger in the area to put navigational aids in place.

Kogi
The Vice-President, National Cashew Association of Nigeria (NCAN), Alhaji Mohammed Chapi-Emgali, has called on government at all levels to evolve deliberate policies to promote cashew production, processing and marketing in the country.
Chapi-Emgali made the call at a forum of stakeholders on Cashew and the association’s Dinner/Award Night at Anyigba in Dekina Local Government of Kogi last Saturday.
He called on the need for a revolution in the agriculture sector through cashew production and processing in the country.
He said that the product had impacted on the economy of Kogi East Senatorial District resulting in an urban to rural migration.
Chapi-Emgali urged Nigerian farmers to seize the advantage of the high exchange rate, and return the country to the era of agricultural boom and massive youth employment.
Also speaking, Mr Gabriel Aduku, former Minister of State for Health, called for greater attention to the agriculture sector in view of its multi-dimensional importance to national growth and development.

Lagos
The Catholic Archbishop Emeritus, Archdiocese of Lagos, Anthony Okogie has advised the country’s leadership to give special attention to the security of Nigerians.
Okogie in Lagos last Thursday, urged the government to have the courage and the political will needed to protect Nigerians.
He said in a statement that, a sizeable percentage of the budget was officially allocated to security.
“We have the security and intelligence agencies but the simple fact is that, they are not established to protect the people.
“They are established and operated to protect political actors. If the state does not protect us, can we truly say we have a nation,’’ he said.

Nasarawa
The Nasarawa State House of Assembly has pledged to work with the executive arm to ensure even distribution of development projects at the grassroots.
Mr Mohammad Odege-Okpoku, Chairman, House Committee on Works and Transport, made the promise while inspecting projects in Akwanga Local Government Area of the state, on Thursday.
Odege-Okpoku, who led members of the committee on the exercise, lauded Governor Tanko Al-Makura for releasing funds, for the construction of culverts and bridges across local government and development area councils in the state.

Ogun
Over 700 pensioners in Ogun State, were screened during the first day of physical verification of pensioners conducted by the government, Babatunde Agbaje,   Permanent Secretary, Bureau of State Pensions, has said.
Agbaje, who made the disclosure last Thursday in Ijebu-Ode, said the exercise would help to save funds for the government.
He said that, the exercise was also  aimed at establishing credible and authentic data base of pensioners in the state.
The permanent secretary added that, the exercise was conducted to update the record of the pensioners in the state and restore payment of monthly pension to genuine pensioners.

Ondo
The Ondo State University of Science and Technology (OSUSTECH), Okitipupa  last Thursday, warned that, it would no longer tolerate disobedience to the rules and regulations of the university by the students.
Vice-Chancellor of the university, Prof. Sunday Ogunduyile, gave the warning in Okitipupa, during the institution’s 7th matriculation ceremony where 706 students were matriculated for the 2016/2017 academic session.
Ogunduyile listed ills such as cultism, examination malpractice, indecent dressing, hooliganism and willful destruction of the university properties in which  the institution would exercise zero tolerance.

Sokoto
The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), last Thursday said, it had received 2,000 doses of meningitis vaccines donated to it by Sokoto State Government.
The state’s Coordinator of the scheme, Alhaji Musa Abubakar, disclosed this in Sokoto at the passing out ceremony of the 1,697 corps members deployed to the state under the 2016 batch “A”, stream two.
Abubakar said, the scheme had consequently commenced mass vaccination of corps members across the state, as well as its staffers. He said, “vaccination started on May 1 and we plan to vaccinate more than 5,000 corps members and staffers.

Continue Reading

Nation

Youths Vow To Continue Protest Over Dilapidated Highway

Published

on

Youths from five local government areas in Northern Cross River State have concluded a one-week warning protest and blockade of the dilapidated Ikom-Wula-Obudu federal highway over the weekend.
They have vowed to resume the road blocks if by this week the authorities do not intervene to fix the road.
More than five thousand locals, mostly youths from Obanliku, Etung, Obudu, Ikom and Boki LGAs trooped out everyday for one week, used palm trees to block the highway to draw state and federal government’s attention to their plights, requesting the repair of a road has has been unmotorable for about 40 years.
They warned that if they do not see any actions from the state or federal governments, they will resume their Plan B protest, stop revenue collections and make governance unpalatable.
The youths also warned that without interventions on the road which has claimed several lives, including that of last week when a pregnant woman died with her baby in the full glare of the protesters because of the terrible road, no election can hold in the area next year.
One of the leaders of the No Road , No Election protest, who is also the Abo Youths in Boki LGA, Dr Martins Assam said both the federal and state governments have neglected the region, which generates more than 70 percent state revenue from agriculture.
He said if machinery is not deployed by next week, they will not have any option than to embark on unpalatable and disastrous protest, and stop revenue collections in the area.
“Last week we had only a warning strike for one good week. We’ll embark on a more elaborate, disastrous one-month blockade of this highway until they intervene. We call on our Governor and representatives in the National Assembly to act now by impressing on the federal government to immediately fix this road else. We’re not asking for two much but to be treated as human beings.”
Another protester, Clinton Obi from the Etung axis said, “We’ve been neglected for 40 years. This Ikom-Obudu federal highway had been impassable. The government has removed its concentration from our plights. By this one week protest, we want action on this road otherwise the next phase of protest will be costly.”
Reverend Father Francis Amaozo, priest in charge of St. Nicholas parish in Nashua, Boki LGA said, “I have also been a victim of this very deplorable road. Enough is now enough. We’ve been betrayed by our representatives and other leaders, so that we in this axis have become endangered species on this road. I have lost some many members on this road.”
Member, representing the Boki-Ikom federal constituency of the state in the House of Representatives, Bisong Victor Abang had pleaded with the locals to be a bit more patient with the government as action will commence shortly.

Continue Reading

Nation

UNIPORT VC Receives Inaugural Lecture Brochure As Professor Highlights Urgent Need For Drug Repurposing In Malaria Fight

Published

on

The Vice Chancellor of the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT), Prof Owunari Georgewill, last Thursday received the inaugural lecture brochure from the Inaugural Lecturer, Professor Udeme Georgewill, during a ceremony at the university’s Centre of Excellence attended by academics, researchers, students, and distinguished guests.
Delivering her lecture, Professor Udeme Georgewill described the occasion as the culmination of years of dedicated research, teaching, and service to humanity. He explained that his work as a pharmacologist has consistently focused on finding practical, affordable, and scientifically sound solutions to health challenges that disproportionately affect developing countries, particularly malaria, which remains one of Nigeria’s most pressing public health concerns.
She noted that Nigeria continues to bear one of the heaviest malaria burdens globally, accounting for a significant percentage of worldwide cases and deaths. The disease, largely caused by the Plasmodium falciparum parasite and transmitted through Anopheles mosquitoes, remains especially dangerous for children under five years and pregnant women, threatening not only present populations but unborn generations. Despite years of intervention efforts, malaria continues to strain families, health systems, and the national economy.
Prof Georgewill empha-sised that while Artemisinin-based Combination Therapies such as Artemether-Lumefantrine remain the gold standard for malaria treatment, emerging resistance patterns pose a serious challenge. He explained that drug resistance is a survival mechanism of the parasite, enabling it to adapt and reduce the effectiveness of medications designed to eliminate it. According to her, instances where patients do not feel better after initial treatment sometimes lead to repeated dosing or the search for injectable alternatives, practices that can worsen resistance and complicate treatment outcomes.
Against this backdrop, she advocated strongly for drug repurposing as a strategic and urgent response. Drug repurposing, he explained, involves identifying new therapeutic uses for already approved and widely available medications. He likened the concept to “old wine in new wineskins,” stressing that medicines already proven safe for certain conditions can be carefully re-evaluated and optimised for new roles in malaria management. This approach, she argued, offers advantages such as reduced research timelines, lower development costs, and faster clinical application compared to developing entirely new drugs from scratch.
She disclosed that her research had progressed from laboratory investigations to clinical evaluations, where his team is studying combinations involving Artemether-Lumefantrine and Ivermectin to determine their effectiveness in improving treatment outcomes and possibly reducing transmission. Clinical trials are ongoing, and findings will be communicated upon completion of regulatory processes. However, he cautioned strongly against self-medication, warning that misuse of drugs without proper diagnosis and prescription can lead to organ damage, treatment failure, and increased resistance.
Referencing global health commitments, Prof Georgewill highlighted Sustainable Development Goal 3.3, which seeks to end epidemics of malaria and other major infectious diseases by 2030. She questioned whether the goal remains attainable under current realities, especially with growing resistance and funding gaps. He also referred to strategies of the World Health Organisation aimed at drastically reducing malaria incidence and mortality while pushing toward elimination in several countries.
Looking ahead, she revealed that her team is building comprehensive research databases to support artificial intelligence-driven drug repurposing. He stressed that the integration of artificial intelligence, molecular docking, and advanced screening technologies is transforming global drug discovery, and Nigerian researchers must be equipped to participate competitively in this evolving scientific landscape.
In her recommendations, she called for the establishment of a National Centre for Drug Repurposing to coordinate research efforts and leverage artificial intelligence in identifying new indications for existing medicines. He urged policymakers to simplify and accelerate the translation of laboratory discoveries into clinical application, ensuring that scientific breakthroughs benefit the public more efficiently. She also appealed to the university and relevant authorities to increase funding and modernise laboratory infrastructure, including high-throughput screening facilities, to strengthen Nigeria’s position in global biomedical research.
The lecture concluded with expressions of gratitude to God, the university leadership, colleagues, students, and guests, as the event underscored the University of Port Harcourt’s commitment to research excellence and its role in addressing critical public health challenges facing Nigeria and the wider world.

Continue Reading

Nation

Niger CAN Rejects Proposed Hisbah Bill, Urges Gov Bago Not To Assent

Published

on

The Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, Niger State Chapter, has rejected the proposed Niger State Hisbah Directorates Bill, describing it as controversial and capable of deepening religious division in the state.
In a statement signed by the State Chairman, Bishop Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, and made available to The Tide’s source yesterday, the association urged Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago not to assent to the bill if it is passed by the State House of Assembly.
The bill, sponsored by the member representing Chanchaga Constituency, Hon. Mohammed Abubakar, seeks to establish a Hisbah Directorate in Niger State.
CAN warned that the legislation could be perceived as discriminatory against Christians and may heighten tension in the religiously diverse state.
“Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago, we, the entire Christendom in the state, wish to draw your attention to what could easily create division among the people you govern,” the statement read in part.
The association questioned the necessity and benefits of the proposed law, asking what economic or social value it would add to the state.
It further argued that existing security agencies, including the Nigeria Police and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, already have constitutional mandates to maintain law and order.
The Christian body also faulted the legislative process, disputing claims that it was consulted during a public hearing on the bill.
It insisted that it was neither invited nor notified of any such engagement, despite being a critical stakeholder in the state.

Continue Reading

Trending