Nation
THE STATES

Governor Simon Lalong of Plateau State (left), with the Minister for Information, Mr Lai Mohammed during the Minister’s visit to the Governor at the Government House in Jos, recently.
Benue
The Benue Commissioner of Police, Mr Paul Yakadi, on
Tuesday said that Fulani herdsmen had started leaving the state to end the ongoing crisis with farmers.
Yakadi told newsmen in Makurdi that the herdsmen decided to leave to give peace a chance.
“The herdsmen have started leaving the state for peace to reign. They are leaving in their numbers, but that does not mean the crisis has ended.
“We believe that in no distant time peace will return in the affected local governments and the people will return to their homes again.
FCT
The African and Arts Cultural and Heritage Association
Abuja (AACHA) has called on Nigerians to go back to their cultural roots of moonlight tales and games.
The President of the association Mr Kanayo Chukwumezie,made the call in an interview with newsmen on Tuesday in Abuja.
Chukwumezie said that there were different games that existed in the various cultural settings in the country which are at the verge of extinction.
“In those day, we use to play moonlight games of different types that involved singing and dancing and our parents would gather us to tell us stories that teach moral lesson.
Kwara
No fewer than 50 drivers had been convicted for viola
tion of road traffic regulations in the last two months in Irepodun Local Government Area of Kwara, the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) said.
The Director of Operations, FRSC, Omu-Aran Unit Command, Mr Abdulhakeem Abdulkareem, told newsmen that the infractions were committed between January and February.
Abdukareem said that the convicts were among the offenders who appeared at mobile courts periodically setup by the corps in conjunction with the state judiciary.
Kano
The Kano Electricity Distribution Company (KEDCO) has
commended electricity customers in Bichi Local Government Area of the state for heeding its advice on energy conservation.
This is contained in a statement signed by the company’s Public Relations Officer, Mohammed Kandi, which was issued to newsmen in Kano .
According to the statement, the adoption of the energy conservation may not be unconnected with the series of campaigns carried out by officials of the company recently.
Katsina
The West African Cotton Company (WACOT) has drilled
bore holes for irrigation farmers in some Local Government Areas in Katsina state following shortage of water to boost dry season farming.
The company also distributed water pumping machines to the farmers in the state.
Dr Mustapaha Kabir-Daudawa, the company’s Project Representative, made this known at Bakori Local Government Area of the state at “Field Day’’ organised for farmers.
Kabir-Daudawa said the initiative was part of the company’s efforts to enhance farming activities, food security and job creation.
Kebbi
The Kebbi Chapter of National Union of Local Govern
ment Employees (NULGE), has appealed to the state government to pay up the three years arrears of leave grant owed workers.
The State Chairman of NULGE Alhaji Bello Barade, made the appeal in an interview with newsmen in Birnin-Kebbi.
He, however, commended the state government for regular payment of salaries of local government staff, but stressed that there was need for the leave grant arrears to be paid.
This, he said, was necessary to improve their performance and economic well being.
promoting their welfare, so long as they remained dedicated to their duties.
Lagos
A 28-year-old man, Joshua Tabit, has been arraigned
before the Ikorodu Magistrates’ Court in Lagos for allegedly stealing four generators within 10 days.
Tabit of no fixed address, who is facing a three-count charge bordering on stealing, however, told the court on Tuesday that the charges against him were bogus.
“I am not guilty because the accusations are untrue,” Tabit said before Magistrate Bola Olagbegi-Adelabu.
The prosecutor , Cpl Mary Ajiteru, had told the court that the defendant committed the offences with others still at large on February 17 and February 26.
She said the defendant, on February 17, at about 3.00p.m. stole one Elpack 3,300 volts generator at No. 1-2 Prince Olajubu Close, Unity Estate, Bayeku Road, Ikorodu.
“He also stole a generator worth N75,000, the propery of Prince Oluwashina Olajubu,” she said.
Plateauu
The Commander of Operation Safe Haven, the security
taskforce Maj.-Gen. Tagbo Ude, charged with maintaining peace in Plateau, has confirmed the establishment of strike force units.
Ude, who made the disclosure in Gashish community, a flash point in Barkin Ladi Local Government Area, said the units became necessary to improve response to calls in crises-prone communities.
“For as long as I will be here, the strike force base will remain; the idea is to reduce our reaction time to distress calls.
“If you recall, before I took over, so many villagers deserted their villages.
“But with the establishment of the strike force, most of the villagers have returned while schools have reopened with children moving to school normally,’’ he said.
Osun
Gov. Rauf Aregbesola of Osun, has announced the cre
ation of 31 Local Council Development Areas (LCDAs), in addition to the existing 30 Local Government Areas in the state. Aregbesola, in a state-wide broadcast in Osogbo, also announced the creation of three Area Councils and Two Administrative offices. He said the new LCDAs were created based on the request of the people to expand the scope of local government administration and enhance their participation. “The requests for new councils have been granted; all constitutional requirements have been met and the prescribed procedure followed to the letter.
“The importance of the local government cannot be overstated. It is where the government is designed to be closest to the people,” he said.
Ondo
The Ondo State Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board has ad
vised intending for the 2016 Hajj from the state to engage in physical exercises to attain fitness for successful Hajj rites.
The Chairman of the board, Alhaji Abdulrasheed Ajifowowe, gave the advice in an interview with newsmen in Akure.
“ Physical fitness is one of the prerequisites for a successful Hajj,” Ajifowowe said.
He said that the Hajj was a rigorous religious exercise that demanded perseverance.
“Those that want to perform this year’s Hajj should try as much as possible to engage in physical exercises.
“Because Hajj is a rigorous exercise during which you will trek a lot.
“So, whoever that is used to riding vehicles always, should start trekking now,so that when he eventually gets to Mecca, the trekking will not have negative effects on him.
Oyo
An Iyaganku Chief Magistrates’ Court sitting in Ibadan
has Tuesday remanded in prison custody a 29-year-old man, Dare Idogbe, charged with stealing a motorcycle at the court’s gate.
Our correspondent reports that the Chief Magistrate, Mrs A. F. Richard, remanded Idogbe at the Agodi Prison to review the facts of the case and to pronounce sentence.
Idogbe, whose address was not provided in the charge sheet, had at his arraignment pleaded guilty to the two-count charge of conspiracy and stealing preferred against him.
Subsequently, the magistrate adjourned the case for sentencing on Thursday.
Earlier, the Prosecutor, Insp Sunday Ogunremi, had told the court that Idogbe and one other person now at large conspired to steal a Bajaj motorcycle valued at N150,000.
Sokoto
The Sokoto State Zakat and Endowment Committee has
doled out 78 sewing machines, 400 bags of millet and 30 grinding machines to the needy, to encourage self reliance.
Gov. Aminu Tambuwal said while distributing the items that the gesture was part of government’s efforts to encourage entrepreneurship in rural communities.
The governor, represented by Alhaji Al-Mustapha Abdulkadir, Permanent Secretary, Ministry for Religious Affairs, pledged that the administration would come up with more empowerment programmes to reduce the level of poverty in the state.
Tambuwal stressed that the overall aim was to make people enterprising, self-reliant and self sustaining.
He solicited for prayers for peace in the country and success of the present administration.
Nation
Sachet Alcohol Fuels Binge Drinking Among Nigerian Youths, Group Warns
The Standard Bearers (SB) Islamic Organisation has raised concerns over the growing rate of binge drinking among Nigerian youths, attributing the trend largely to the widespread availability of sachet alcohol.
The group’s position follows the recent move by the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) to enforce a ban on alcoholic beverages packaged in sachets and bottles below 200 millilitres.
In a statement jointly signed by its National Coordinator, Dr. Nurudeen AbdulRaheem, and National Secretary, Malam Qaasim Adegbuyi, the organisation declared its full support for NAFDAC’s decision, describing it as a timely and necessary public health intervention.
AbdulRaheem noted that sachet alcohol, often sold for as little as ?100, has made excessive drinking more accessible, particularly to young people and minors. According to him, the affordability and small packaging of such products have worsened binge drinking, youth addiction and community insecurity.
He explained that binge drinking involves consuming multiple alcoholic drinks within a short period, typically within two hours, a practice that can lead to severe physical and mental health complications as well as legal and social problems.
The SB National Coordinator cited global health data indicating that alcohol is responsible for more than three million deaths annually worldwide and remains a major contributor to road accidents, violence, liver disease and mental health disorders.
While acknowledging concerns from industry stakeholders over the economic implications of the ban, AbdulRaheem maintained that public health considerations must take precedence.
“Public health and the protection of young lives must come first,” he stated, adding that Islamic ethical values, like many societal norms, emphasise the protection of life, intellect and family stability.
The organisation urged NAFDAC and the Federal Government to remain resolute in implementing the policy while also providing transition support for businesses that may be affected by the ban.
According to the group, the enforcement of the ban represents a significant step toward promoting a safer and healthier society.
By Favour James
Nation
HYPREP Unleashes 100 Ogoni Youths Into Maritime Industry …Tasks Them On Discipline, Safety
The Hydrocarbon Pollution Remediation Project (HYPREP) has successfully concluded its Seafarers Training Programme for 100 Ogoni youths, positioning them for opportunities in the competitive global maritime industry.
The beneficiaries, who underwent four months of intensive training at Charkin Maritime Academy, Port Harcourt, received their certificates during a close-out ceremony held on Tuesday, February 10, 2026. The event was attended by top management staff of HYPREP, the HYPREP Project Support Lead and Representative of Renaissance Africa Energy Company Limited, the Executive Director of Training and Strategic Planning of Charkin Maritime Academy, the Head of the Seafaring Department, the Principal Consultant of DCL Consulting Firm, and other dignitaries.
Addressing the graduates, HYPREP Project Coordinator, Prof. Nenibarini Zabbey, described the ceremony as a celebration of hard work, dedication, and the beginning of a new chapter in the lives of the young beneficiaries.
He said the graduation symbolises vision, resilience, and hope — hope translated into skills, certificates, and tangible opportunities for a better future for Ogoni youths.
According to him, the passing-out ceremony marks an important milestone in HYPREP’s mandate to restore livelihoods and promote sustainable development in Ogoniland. He urged the beneficiaries to make productive use of the skills and certifications acquired.
“These skills and achievements should not end here but serve as a springboard for self-reliance, dignity of labour, and long-term economic empowerment for the good of Ogoniland and Nigeria,” he stated.
Prof. Zabbey noted that the seafaring programme is significant not only to the beneficiaries but also to HYPREP’s broader livelihood restoration strategy and the Federal Government’s blue economy agenda.
He explained that by equipping the youths with globally relevant maritime skills, HYPREP is opening alternative income opportunities while discouraging oil theft, artisanal refining, re-pollution, and other environmentally harmful practices. He added that the initiative aligns with the directives of the 2016 HYPREP Establishment Gazette and reinforces the Project’s commitment to implementing the recommendations of the UNEP Report on Ogoniland.
Commending Charkin Maritime Academy as a dependable training partner, Zabbey described the institution as one of the foremost maritime training centres in the country.
“This partnership has delivered high-quality results today, and we intend to expand it as we intensify efforts to provide sustainable alternative livelihoods for the Ogoni people,” he said.
He expressed confidence in Ogoni youths as drivers of unity, peace, and progress, noting their resilience and commitment to peace in the area. He reaffirmed HYPREP’s commitment to supporting the aspirations of youths and women in Ogoniland.
The Project Coordinator likened knowledge and certificates to fuel in a vehicle, stressing that they are meant to propel the graduates toward greater heights.
“We hear your voices calling for restoration, and today, environmental and livelihood restoration are gradually unfolding before your eyes, bringing renewed hope. We continue to lay brick upon brick, building pillars of Ogoni development, as evidenced by the Centre of Excellence for Environmental Restoration (CEER), which is 93 per cent completed,” he added.
He emphasised that HYPREP’s approach integrates all projects and interventions toward achieving environmental sustainability and long-term development in Ogoniland.
Also speaking, the HYPREP Project Support Lead and Representative of Renaissance Africa Energy Company Limited, Engr. Ehioze Igbinomwahia, said the graduates had gained not only technical maritime skills but also discipline, resilience, and confidence to compete globally.
He described their graduation as the beginning of a new journey and noted that the UNEP Report emphasised that environmental restoration must be complemented by sustainable livelihoods, capacity building, and youth empowerment.
“Without empowering people, restoration cannot be complete. Programmes such as this maritime training represent practical steps toward creating employment pathways, dignity, and long-term community stability,” he said.
Engr. Igbinomwahia added that Renaissance Africa Energy Company Limited remains committed to supporting environmental recovery, human capacity development, and sustainable economic opportunities in Ogoniland and the wider Niger Delta.
Highlighting the importance of discipline and safety, he urged the graduates to be ambassadors of professionalism and integrity.
“The sea you are about to enter is vast and sometimes challenging, but it is also full of opportunity. Let discipline guide your actions, let safety remain your constant companion, and let your character speak for you wherever you go,” he advised.
Similarly, the Executive Director of Training and Strategic Planning at Charkin Maritime Academy, Captain Joseph Awodeha, who represented the Chairman, Dr. Charles Wami, emphasised discipline and safety as critical to career success in the maritime sector.
The Head of the Seafaring Department, Captain Jonathan Hammond, urged the graduates to remain humble and disciplined, noting that such virtues are essential for career growth.
In his remarks, the Principal Consultant of DCL Consulting Firm, Barrister Dornu Baridan, commended the beneficiaries for successfully scaling through the
rigorous selection process and completing their training as seafarers.
Nation
Nigerian Society of Engineers Inaugurates 14-Member Executives In Rivers”
The Nigerian Society of Engineers, Port Harcourt Branch, Rivers State, has elected 14 member executives to lead the organization for the 2025/2026 year. Engr. Belema Fubara Ekine, FNSE, is the 23rd chairman.
The inauguration ceremony, held at the Engr. Ishmael A. Branch Secretariat, 3 Benard Carr Street (Waterworks Yard), Port Harcourt, attracted members of the engineering profession from within and outside the state.
Other elected executives include:
Engr. Samuel H. Kwelle, MNSE – Vice Chairman
Engr. Dr. Promise Jumbo, FNSE – General Secretary
Engr. Priye P. K. Lawson, MNSE – Assistant Secretary
Engr. Patrick O. Udegbunam, MNSE – Treasurer.
Others are Engr. Hilda D. Batubo, MNSE – Financial Secretary
Engr. Bowei M. Dauseighe, MNSE – Technical Secretary
Engr. Charles O. Okwakpam, MNSE – Assistant Technical Secretary
Engr. Agnes Komolafe, MNSE – Membership Secretary
Engr. Dike N. Livingstone, MNSE – Publicity Secretary
Also elected are Engr. Ayebaye Daniel Wanatoi, MNSE – Welfare Secretary
Engr. Oribiokpomari I. Comfort, MNSE – Internal Auditor
Engr. Dr. Idaeresoari Harriet Ateke, FNSE – Immediate Past Chairman
Engr Dr Hachimenum Amadi, FNSE (Ex-Officio)
In his a goodwill message, the Secretary to the Rivers State Government, Hon. Frederick Anabraba, urged the new executive to maintain high ethical standards and move the association forward.
In his acceptance speech, the newly elected chairman, Engr. Belema Fubara Ekine, FNSE, promised an inclusive administration and teamwork, focusing on collaboration with stakeholders. He had begun building partnerships with Rivers State University and the University of Port Harcourt.
The highlight was the inauguration lecture, “Engineering Solution for Security, Energy Access and Sustainable Development,” delivered by Engr. Victor Bandele, Deputy Managing Director, Deepwater Assets, TotalEnergies EP Nigeria Limited.
-
Politics3 days agoAPC Releases Adjusted Timetable For Nationwide Congresses, Convention
-
Business3 days agoCustoms Seek Support To Curb Smuggling In Ogun
-
Sports3 days ago
DG NIS Wants NSC Board Constituted, Seeks Increased In Funding
-
Sports3 days agoSWAN Rivers Set-up Five Functional Committees
-
News3 days ago
Police Bust Kidnapping Syndicate In PH
-
Featured3 days agoINEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
-
Sports3 days ago
‘NTF Will Build On Davis Cup Success For Brighter Future’
-
Sports3 days ago
NSC Disburses N200m Training Grants To 26 Athletes
