Politics
2015: Jonathan Versus Who (APC)?
President Goodluck
Jonathan, on Tuesday, November 12, 2014, stood to be counted by the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for the 2015 presidential election when he formally declared his intention to re-contest the election to the admiration of jubilant party faithful at the Eagle Square, Abuja.
“After seeking the face of God, in quiet reflection with my family and having listened to the call of our people nationwide to run, 1, Goodluck Ebele Azikiwe Jonathan, have accepted to re-present myself on the platform of Peoples Democratic Party for the re-election as the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria in the 2015 general elections,” the man of the moment, with these words, offered himself to the party for the second time after his party have zeroed on him as a presidential candidate.
The declaration of Jonathan provided an opportunity for him to showcase his strengths (achievements) against his weaknesses. Jonathan’s admission that corruption remained a stain on his administration may not border the people so much, but what he is doing to stem the tide. He reflected on the past and looked into the future. “I am convinced that I have served my past with Nigerians and it’s now time to look into the future. With your tremendous support, we have collectively done so much in the last three and a half years. But to take our country to the next level, there is still more work to be done,” Jonathan said: a statement that boosted his conscience and his preparation to launch Nigeria to greater development despite threats to national growth.
All Progressives Congress (APC), for sure may be disappointed when Jonathan reminded critics of his administration that “History has shown that the path of honours of a true leader is not to walk away from his people in the face of challenges.” But with a strong character, he said “we must stand together in adversary and overcome the threat to our development. We must defend our future,” apparently referring to insurgency that has taken a toll on the nation’s peace and pride.
Jonathan’s score card in education, power, aviation, water, agriculture, transport, port reforms, health, housing as well as oil and gas sectors, and his promise to do more if given another chance at the Presidency, kept the crowd that defied the scorching sun at the occasion, yelling for a man (Jonathan) whom Vice President Namadi Sambo is convinced is a “blessing to Nigeria.”
The Chairman of the PDP Governors’ Forum and governor of Akwa Ibom State, Godswill Akpabio, though acknowledged that the road to 2015 will be rough, is optimistic that “at the end of the tunnel, victory will be yours and the PDP,” adding that “those who are behind you are more than those that are against you” and in 2015, Nigerians will speak for him (Jonathan).
PDP leaders in some geo-political zones expressed confidence and capacity of Jonathan to deliver more on his transformation agenda to the delight of the citizenry. Erstwhile governor of Rivers State, Dr Peter Odili said, the South-South had absolute trust and confidence in the capacity and capability of Jonathan to make Nigeria a better country. Prof. Jerry Gana, who spoke on behalf of the people of the North Central, described Jonathan as a catalyst for development.
Former Senate President, Ken Nnamani, on behalf of PDP supporters in the South East, said the success recorded so far by Jonathan’s administration demanded continuity. Alhaji Hassan Adamu (North-East Zone) scored Jonathan high especially in boosting education in the region with the approval of universities in Potiskum and Wukari, building of almajiri schools as well as connecting the region with rail trucks from Bauchi. Chief Bode George of the South West, however, reflected on the prophecy of their late leader, Pa Obafemi Awolowo, who had predicted that one day, an ijaw man would be the president of the country.
Though security challenge is the pain in the neck of Jonathan’s administration, Akpabio said “we will never be intimidated,” and likened Jonathan to David in the bible who is “fighting all the wars today so that future presidents in Nigeria will have peace.” Senate President, David Mark, who spoke on behalf of PDP lawmakers, however, urged the president to bring the issue of terrorism to an end.
True, there are misgivings about Jonathan and his party, but according to Niyi Akinnaso, “no matter how much we may hate the PDP and abhor Joanthan’s records, neither the party nor Jonathan could be written off completely.”
Writing on The Punch of Tuesday, October 14, 2014 under the title “Why Jonathan May Win Re-election,” Akinnaso said “since electoral politics is about the strategies and manoeuvres employed to win votes, there are three things Jonathan and the PDP have done that could be considered electorally smart. We may not like them at all, but they could eventually translate into victory.”
One of the things, according to Akinnaso, is that the perceived opponents of the party leadership were pushed out and those who would toe the President’s line were wooed into the party, even after they had left it.
The edging out of erstwhile controversial chairman of the PDP, Bamanga Tukur, also went along way to douse the tension in the party and reshaped it for electoral exploits. The fallout of that move was the unanimous endorsement of Jonathan’s candidacy, Akinnaso says.
The third issue, is a well-choreographed series of political adverts, including TV commercials, billboards and other promotional activities which portray Jonathan’s achievements and to which the public has been inundated with. Then, of course, the stomach infrastructure widely adopted by the PDP to catch millions of electorate who are willing to respond to the power of stomach politics; that is, if they are willing to toe the PDP line or respond to primordial tribal or religious politics or better still, the candidates likeability.
Jonathan’s approach to leadership may be misconstrued to mean weakness, yet APC’s inability to provide alternative to the president’s perceived weak policy has made the people to hold on to what they believe that “the devil you know is better than the angel you don’t know,” apparently because they do not believe that there is merit in the planned change of APC.
While Sabella Abidde (The Punch, September 24, 2014) queries what is the problem with the APC, Akinnaso, in the aforementioned write-up believes “For now, the APC’s failures are Jonathan’s gains,” adding that “the gains will multiply, if the APC come out bruised from its presidential primary.”
Already, there are ominous signs that the new APC is likely to run into troubled waters in its presidential primary as the camp of APC national leader, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu has been reportedly pressured by powerful leaders and some Northern clerics to dump its support for Muhammadu Buhari for the party’s presidential candidate and switch same to the presidential aspiration of Speaker Aminu Tambuwal who, with his entry, immediately turned into a major contender for the ticket in which former Vice Presidnt, Atiku Abubakar; Governor Rabiu Kwankwanso of Kano State; Governor Rochas Okorocha of Imo State and newspaper publisher, Sam Nda-Isaiah are also contending.
Concerns are high that the religious extremism which PDP tagged Buhari may be injurious to the political outing of the APC in the South if the former head of State emerges as APC candidate. Even more disturbing is the fact that “The APC cannot present itself as a party with an ideology of change and still field a 72-year-old man who probably will want to run two terms that will expire when he is 81,” writes Abimbola Adelakun (The Punch, Thursday October 23, 2014).
In his write-up titled: “Why Buhari May Not Defeat Jonathan,” Adelakun said there is doubt in the mind of Nigerians that “Buhari will have a better run this time around and probably defeat Jonathan.” According to him, Buhari’s candidature may end up producing a boomerang effect that will favour Jonathan.
Those who oppose Buhari do so not necessarily because age is not on his side for lofty visions of nation building or economic ideas and ideals, but essentially and most importantly out of the fact that Buhari is no religious nut, but he is religion himself with large number of devotees.” No wonder, Adelakun concludes that “anybody with such authority over people’s minds should not be tried with the absolutism of power the Nigerian brand of democracy endows on a political leader.”
The entry of Tambuwal into the presidential race of APC may be seen as robust and a welcome development, but his chances to pick the ticket can be anybody’s guess. Unlike Buhari and Atiku that had contested nationwide election, Tambuwal only contested a federal constituency and won with stealing leadership of the House of Representatives.
Even as current permutations may favour Tambuwal to clinch the APC ticket, Osita Okechukwu, a strong loyalist of Buhari, notes that Tambuwal’s entry into APC presidential race “will neither diminish nor cut-off the celestial bond between Buhari and the masses and the middle class of our dear country.”
True, the heat is on in the camp of APC and the house divided against itself cannot stand in the face of undaunting challenge of who, among the contenders, gets the nod at the end of the day without the APC being battered in the process.
Now that the PDP smarted itself out of trouble by endorsing Jonathan for the presidential race, who is APC’s battle axe in the race? Time will tell and the earlier the better because Jonathan who is already at the track has taken off for the race.
Samuel Eleonu
Politics
FG’s Economic Policies Not Working – APC Chieftain
A senator who represented Taraba Central, Mr Abubakar Yusuf, has declared that the economic policies of President Bola Tinubu are not yielding the expected results.
His comment is one of the strongest internal critiques yet from within the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).
The comment underscores the growing dissatisfaction within sections of the ruling party over the direction and impact of the administration’s economic reforms amid rising living costs and fiscal pressures across the country.
Mr Yusuf, who served in the Senate between 2015 and 2023 under the platform of the APC, made the remarks during an appearance on national television.
Responding to a question on whether the administration’s economic direction, often referred to as Tinubunomics, was working, Mr Yusuf answered in the contrary.
“For me, it is not working. I am a member of the APC. I would be the last person to hide the facts”, he said.
He said while the government might be operating diligently within its policy structure, the framework itself is ill-suited to Nigeria’s current realities
“Within the policy framework, yes, they are doing their best, but it is not the framework that is suitable for Nigeria at the point in time that President Asiwaju came into power,” he said.
Mr Yusuf criticised the immediate removal of fuel subsidy on the day the president was sworn in, arguing that the decision lacked sufficient consultation and planning.
“I am one of those who say President Asiwaju ought to have waited. Not on the day he was sworn in to say subsidy is gone. On what basis?”, he asked.
He urged broader engagement before major fiscal decisions are taken.
“Sit down with your cabinet, sit down with your ministers, sit down with your advisers,” he said, dismissing the argument that subsidy removal was justified solely on grounds of corruption.
The former lawmaker identified “structural flaws” in the country’s budgeting system, particularly the envelope budgeting model.
“One of the basic problems is that before you budget, you should have a plan. The envelope system we have been operating has been you budget before you plan. That has been a major issue”, he said.
He argued that allocating spending ceilings without aligning them to concrete development strategies inevitably weakens implementation and delivery.
“If you give me an envelope which is contrary to my plan, whether it is plus or minus, there is no way I am going to implement my plan. It is bound to fail,” he said.
Mr Yusuf called for the scrapping of the envelope budgeting system, noting that he had consistently opposed it even during his years in the National Assembly.
“It is not good for us. It is not going to work well for us,” he said.
He further blamed poor capital releases and persistent deficit financing for undermining budget performance over the years.
“We could not meet 60 percent of our capital budget in all these years. No releases. If you make a budget and the release is very poor, there is no way the budget will be executed”, he stated.
According to him, weak fund disbursement mechanisms and reliance on deficit financing have entrenched a cycle of underperformance.
“Our budget ought to have been a surplus budget, but all our budgets have always been deficit financing budgets,” Mr Yusuf added.
Politics
Reps To Meet,’Morrow Over INEC’s 2027 Election Timetable
The Nigerian House of Representatives has resolved to reconvene for an emergency session tomorrow February 17, 2026, to deliberate on issues arising from the Independent National Electoral Commission’s (INEC) release of the timetable for the 2027 general elections.
The decision was disclosed in a statement issued by the House Spokesman, Rep. Akin Rotimi, who described the electoral body’s announcement as one of “constitutional and national significance.”
INEC had fixed February 20, 2027, for the Presidential and National Assembly elections.
According to the statement, members of the Green Chamber were notified of the emergency sitting through an internal memorandum from the Speaker’s office.
The session is expected to focus on legislative matters connected to the newly released timetable, reflecting the House’s resolve to act promptly on issues affecting the nation’s democratic process.
Rep. Rotimi noted that all related businesses would be treated with urgency and urged lawmakers to prioritise attendance in view of the importance of the deliberations.
INEC had on Friday formally unveiled the comprehensive schedule for the 2027 polls, including timelines for party primaries slated for July to September 2026, as well as the commencement of Continuous Voter Registration in April 2026.
The development comes amid ongoing consultations and proposed amendments to the Electoral Act ahead of the 2027 general elections.
Politics
Group Continues Push For Real Time Election Results Transmission
As the controversy over the transmission of election results continues across the country, the Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), a pro democracy organisation in the country, has criticised the National Assembly for not giving express approval to real time transmission of elections results.
To this end, the group is calling on all civil society organisations in the country to mobilise and push for a better Electoral Reform in the country.
This was contained in a press statement titled, “Defence For Human Rights and Democracy Demands Real Time Election Transmission of Result”, a copy of which was made available to newsmen in Port Harcourt.
The group described the refusal of compulsory real time transmission of result results by the Senate as undemocratic, adding that the situation will give room for election manipulation, rigging and voters apathy.
It said that the provision of mandatory real time transmission of election results would have significant improvement on the nation’s democracy.
According to the statement, “Since the return of democracy in 1999 to date, it is 27 years, so our Democracy has metamorphosed from being nascent and as such significant improvement should have been recorded.
“Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), is really disappointed at the National Assembly, especially the upper chamber (Senate) for not approving ‘Real Time Electronic Transmission of Election Result’.
“This undemocratic act of theirs, if not tamed, will give room for election manipulation and rigging’”.
Signed by Comrade Clifford Christopher Solomon on behalf of the organisation, the statement further said, “The Defence For Human Rights and Democracy unequivocally supports real time transmission of election result”, stressing that his group will resist any act by the National Assembly to undermine the nation’s democracy.
“DHRD,unequivocally supports ‘True Democracy’, which is Government of the people, by the people and for the people.
“Therefore, anything that will crash the hope of Nigerians to Freely, Fairly and Transparently elect candidates of their choice in any given election should and will be vehemently resisted because good governance begins with leaders elected through credible process. By so doing, leaders have entered a social contract with the citizens to equitably manage their affairs and abundant resources”, the statement added.
It urged the National Assembly to revisit the issue in order to avoid civil unrest.
According to the DHRD, “To avoid civil unrest,voters apathy, election rigging and manipulation, rather to promote citizens participation, advancing our Democracy and entrenching free, fair, credible and acceptable electoral outcome, the National Assembly should amend the electoral act in a manner that will deepen our democracy and boost citizens confidence.
“On this note, The Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), is calling on all other civil society organisations (CSOs) to mobilise, organise and push for a better electoral act amendment by the National Assembly”.
By: John Bibor

