Nation
THE STATES
Adamawa
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo on Tuesday in Yola condemned the recent mayhem in Adamawa where 26 persons were killed by gunmen.
Obasanjo made the condemnation when he visited the Christ Apostolic Church where 12 worshippers were killed.
The former President, who described the incident as “callous and shocking’’ said the perpetrators of the crime were possessed by Satan.
Obasanjo, who was in Yola for the grand finale of Governor Murtala Nyako’s campaign, said: “If the intention of the perpetrators is to cause ethnic and religious crisis, the people of Adamawa have disappointed them by their resolved to continue to live in peace.’’
Bauchi
The Bauchi State Police Commissioner, Mr Ikechukwu Aduba, on Monday commended the state chapter of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) for conducting itself peacefully during the ongoing strike over the fuel subsidy removal.
He made the commendation in an interview with newsmen in Bauchi.
Aduba said that the labour leaders kept to their promise of ensuring a peaceful atmosphere during the strike.
He, however, regretted that some hoodlums attacked the Police during the protest.
Aduba also commended his men for displaying professionalism by not being provoked but kept the hoodlums at bay to avoid clash with the protesters.
‘’As a matter of fact, I give kudos to the leadership in charge of the affair, but that notwithstanding, there was some levels of infiltration. The hoodlums tried to hijack it at the Government House.
Borno
Borno government has presented a N100 million cheque to the family of Malam Baba Fugu, the slain in-law of late Boko Haram leader Malam Mohammed Yusuf.
Fugu was allegedly shot while in police custody in Maiduguri during the 2009 Boko Haram crisis.
The Fugu’s family sued the state government to court, and a Maiduguri High Court last year ordered the state to pay N100 million compensation to the family.
Not satisfied with the judgment, the state government took its case to the Appeal Court, Jos.
Presenting a cheque for the amount at a ceremony in Government House, Maiduguri, Gov. Kashim Shettima explained that the action was aimed at terminating the ongoing legal tussle between the two parties.
“No amount of money can adequately compensate for the loss of Fugu.
FCT
The Managing Director of Urban Development Bank of Nigeria (UDBN) PLC, Mr Adekunle Oyinloye, said in Abuja on Tuesday that about N50 billion capital injection would be needed to meet the “built-up’’ demands of the nation’s mass transit revolving loan scheme.
Oyinloye said that to cushion the effect of the fuel subsidy withdrawal, the Federal Government had entrusted UDBN with additional N15 billion for the mass transit revolving loan scheme under its Subsidy Reinvestment and Empowerment Programme (SURE).
He said that the N15 billion would create a much larger pool of funds to enhance improved access to affordable public mass transportation across the country.
Gombe
Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) member representing Billiri East Constituency, Gombe State House of Assembly, Mr. Sunday Mela says he has trained 20 youths and some women in various skills since he was sworn in, six months ago.
Mela, disclosed this in an interview with newsmen in Billiri on Monday.
He said the beneficiaries were trained in various skills including hair dressing and computer and internet operations.
Mela said that kits would also be provided to the trainees in batches, to enable them to establish their own businesses and become self-reliant.
“I know it is a different thing for you to train someone and allow him to keep roving the streets.
“I don’t have the capacity to take the whole 20 at a time, but I am working out a formula, whereby I would be settling one or three at a time,” he said.
Jigawa
An Islamic cleric, Sheikh Isa Kachako, has advised the Nigeria Labour Congress and the Trade Union Congress, to employ dialogue and consultation in pursuing the issue of fuel subsidy removal.
Kachako told newsmen in Dutse on Monday that anarchy and confrontation by the unions would not solve the current situation, adding that people must seek dialogue as a means of resolving crisis.
The cleric explained that the government alone should not be blamed for the removal of fuel subsidy, saying that some persons in the society should also share from the blame for exploiting the fuel situation.
Kachako urged parents to ensure that their children and wards stayed away from any act that could create problem in the society.
Kano
The Police in Kano State arrested 24 persons allegedly involved in an attempt to take over Government House, Kano, during protests against the removal of fuel subsidy on Monday.
The Commissioner of Police in the state, Alhaji Ibrahim Idris, told newsmen that the suspects pulled down part of the fence of the Government House and burnt 20 vehicles at the cabinet office.
Kebbi
The Kebbi government has released 200 vehicles on loan to the state branch of the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW), to cushion the impact of fuel subsidy removal.
The union on its part, immediately announced a reduction in transport fares by 15 per cent.
Gov. Saidu Dakingari, said in Birnin Kebbi while addressing a procession of protesters, that the vehicles were “highly subsidised”.
The governor, added that the government would also provide ferries to ease problem of movement in Dole Kaina, Lolo, Kwanji and Laffagu fishing communities of Dandi and Shanga local government areas of the state.
Lagos
A twenty-three-year old, Suleiman Ajanaku, has been arraigned before a Surulere Magistrates’ Court, Lagos, for allegedly stealing a Blackberry mobile phone valued at N120,000, property of one Miss Clara Nwafor.
The prosecutor, Inspector James Olumide, told the court that the accused had on December 31, at Akerele Street, in Surulere, Lagos, confronted Nwafor and demanded for her phone.
He said Nwafor had refused to surrender her phone to the accused, who forcefully snatched the phone from her, and pushed her to the ground in the process.
Plateau
The Jos Zone of the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS), has kicked against the removal of fuel subsidy by the Federal Government.
The students’ body has therefore asked the President to reverse the decision while dissociating itself from any decision taken by a faction of NANS’ national body in support of the removal.
In a statement in Jos on Monday, Mr Dazi Mangse, the Public Relations Officer Zone C of NANS, accused the government of carrying out the removal “undemocratically.”
According to him, the president should respect the constitutional rights of Nigerians who voted him by reversing the decision of removing fuel subsidy.
Sokoto
Governor Aliyu Wamakko of Sokoto State on Tuesday in Sokoto assured residents of their safety.
Wamakko gave the assurance when he met with a delegation of the Association of Resident Communities led by its President, Mr Patrick Atusu .
“I want to reassure you that as a responsible government, we take responsibility for each one of you just like any other indigene of the state.
“You should feel free to do your businesses in Sokoto State. You should shun rumour mongering and all forms of sentimental comments of some leaders elsewhere in Nigeria.
“The country belongs to all of us and everyone should be free to do business anywhere he or she wants”, he said.
Zamfara
Following the violence, which trailed Monday’s protest against the removal of fuel subsidy in Gusau, the Zamfara Government has accused politicians of instigating the destruction of public property.
A statement by the Special Adviser to the Governor on Media and Communication, Alhaji Sani Tsafe said “some politicians hide under the cover of the ongoing strike to cause havoc in the state.“
The statement said politicians instead of allowing the protest to go on peacefully instigated the youth to engage in the destruction of government and public property.
“If it is right for anybody to embark on strike to make his grievances public, it is equally the right of the public not to be victims of his action“ it said.
The government warned that it would not fold its arms and allow miscreants to plunge the state into crisis and strip it of its credible status as one of the most peaceful states.
Meanwhile, the police in Bauchi State on Monday announced that it would intensify a joint patrol with soldiers in Bauchi metropolis.
Nation
Youths Vow To Continue Protest Over Dilapidated Highway
Youths from five local government areas in Northern Cross River State have concluded a one-week warning protest and blockade of the dilapidated Ikom-Wula-Obudu federal highway over the weekend.
They have vowed to resume the road blocks if by this week the authorities do not intervene to fix the road.
More than five thousand locals, mostly youths from Obanliku, Etung, Obudu, Ikom and Boki LGAs trooped out everyday for one week, used palm trees to block the highway to draw state and federal government’s attention to their plights, requesting the repair of a road has has been unmotorable for about 40 years.
They warned that if they do not see any actions from the state or federal governments, they will resume their Plan B protest, stop revenue collections and make governance unpalatable.
The youths also warned that without interventions on the road which has claimed several lives, including that of last week when a pregnant woman died with her baby in the full glare of the protesters because of the terrible road, no election can hold in the area next year.
One of the leaders of the No Road , No Election protest, who is also the Abo Youths in Boki LGA, Dr Martins Assam said both the federal and state governments have neglected the region, which generates more than 70 percent state revenue from agriculture.
He said if machinery is not deployed by next week, they will not have any option than to embark on unpalatable and disastrous protest, and stop revenue collections in the area.
“Last week we had only a warning strike for one good week. We’ll embark on a more elaborate, disastrous one-month blockade of this highway until they intervene. We call on our Governor and representatives in the National Assembly to act now by impressing on the federal government to immediately fix this road else. We’re not asking for two much but to be treated as human beings.”
Another protester, Clinton Obi from the Etung axis said, “We’ve been neglected for 40 years. This Ikom-Obudu federal highway had been impassable. The government has removed its concentration from our plights. By this one week protest, we want action on this road otherwise the next phase of protest will be costly.”
Reverend Father Francis Amaozo, priest in charge of St. Nicholas parish in Nashua, Boki LGA said, “I have also been a victim of this very deplorable road. Enough is now enough. We’ve been betrayed by our representatives and other leaders, so that we in this axis have become endangered species on this road. I have lost some many members on this road.”
Member, representing the Boki-Ikom federal constituency of the state in the House of Representatives, Bisong Victor Abang had pleaded with the locals to be a bit more patient with the government as action will commence shortly.
Nation
UNIPORT VC Receives Inaugural Lecture Brochure As Professor Highlights Urgent Need For Drug Repurposing In Malaria Fight
The Vice Chancellor of the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT), Prof Owunari Georgewill, last Thursday received the inaugural lecture brochure from the Inaugural Lecturer, Professor Udeme Georgewill, during a ceremony at the university’s Centre of Excellence attended by academics, researchers, students, and distinguished guests.
Delivering her lecture, Professor Udeme Georgewill described the occasion as the culmination of years of dedicated research, teaching, and service to humanity. He explained that his work as a pharmacologist has consistently focused on finding practical, affordable, and scientifically sound solutions to health challenges that disproportionately affect developing countries, particularly malaria, which remains one of Nigeria’s most pressing public health concerns.
She noted that Nigeria continues to bear one of the heaviest malaria burdens globally, accounting for a significant percentage of worldwide cases and deaths. The disease, largely caused by the Plasmodium falciparum parasite and transmitted through Anopheles mosquitoes, remains especially dangerous for children under five years and pregnant women, threatening not only present populations but unborn generations. Despite years of intervention efforts, malaria continues to strain families, health systems, and the national economy.
Prof Georgewill empha-sised that while Artemisinin-based Combination Therapies such as Artemether-Lumefantrine remain the gold standard for malaria treatment, emerging resistance patterns pose a serious challenge. He explained that drug resistance is a survival mechanism of the parasite, enabling it to adapt and reduce the effectiveness of medications designed to eliminate it. According to her, instances where patients do not feel better after initial treatment sometimes lead to repeated dosing or the search for injectable alternatives, practices that can worsen resistance and complicate treatment outcomes.
Against this backdrop, she advocated strongly for drug repurposing as a strategic and urgent response. Drug repurposing, he explained, involves identifying new therapeutic uses for already approved and widely available medications. He likened the concept to “old wine in new wineskins,” stressing that medicines already proven safe for certain conditions can be carefully re-evaluated and optimised for new roles in malaria management. This approach, she argued, offers advantages such as reduced research timelines, lower development costs, and faster clinical application compared to developing entirely new drugs from scratch.
She disclosed that her research had progressed from laboratory investigations to clinical evaluations, where his team is studying combinations involving Artemether-Lumefantrine and Ivermectin to determine their effectiveness in improving treatment outcomes and possibly reducing transmission. Clinical trials are ongoing, and findings will be communicated upon completion of regulatory processes. However, he cautioned strongly against self-medication, warning that misuse of drugs without proper diagnosis and prescription can lead to organ damage, treatment failure, and increased resistance.
Referencing global health commitments, Prof Georgewill highlighted Sustainable Development Goal 3.3, which seeks to end epidemics of malaria and other major infectious diseases by 2030. She questioned whether the goal remains attainable under current realities, especially with growing resistance and funding gaps. He also referred to strategies of the World Health Organisation aimed at drastically reducing malaria incidence and mortality while pushing toward elimination in several countries.
Looking ahead, she revealed that her team is building comprehensive research databases to support artificial intelligence-driven drug repurposing. He stressed that the integration of artificial intelligence, molecular docking, and advanced screening technologies is transforming global drug discovery, and Nigerian researchers must be equipped to participate competitively in this evolving scientific landscape.
In her recommendations, she called for the establishment of a National Centre for Drug Repurposing to coordinate research efforts and leverage artificial intelligence in identifying new indications for existing medicines. He urged policymakers to simplify and accelerate the translation of laboratory discoveries into clinical application, ensuring that scientific breakthroughs benefit the public more efficiently. She also appealed to the university and relevant authorities to increase funding and modernise laboratory infrastructure, including high-throughput screening facilities, to strengthen Nigeria’s position in global biomedical research.
The lecture concluded with expressions of gratitude to God, the university leadership, colleagues, students, and guests, as the event underscored the University of Port Harcourt’s commitment to research excellence and its role in addressing critical public health challenges facing Nigeria and the wider world.
Nation
Niger CAN Rejects Proposed Hisbah Bill, Urges Gov Bago Not To Assent
The Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, Niger State Chapter, has rejected the proposed Niger State Hisbah Directorates Bill, describing it as controversial and capable of deepening religious division in the state.
In a statement signed by the State Chairman, Bishop Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, and made available to The Tide’s source yesterday, the association urged Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago not to assent to the bill if it is passed by the State House of Assembly.
The bill, sponsored by the member representing Chanchaga Constituency, Hon. Mohammed Abubakar, seeks to establish a Hisbah Directorate in Niger State.
CAN warned that the legislation could be perceived as discriminatory against Christians and may heighten tension in the religiously diverse state.
“Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago, we, the entire Christendom in the state, wish to draw your attention to what could easily create division among the people you govern,” the statement read in part.
The association questioned the necessity and benefits of the proposed law, asking what economic or social value it would add to the state.
It further argued that existing security agencies, including the Nigeria Police and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, already have constitutional mandates to maintain law and order.
The Christian body also faulted the legislative process, disputing claims that it was consulted during a public hearing on the bill.
It insisted that it was neither invited nor notified of any such engagement, despite being a critical stakeholder in the state.
-
Politics4 days agoAPC Releases Adjusted Timetable For Nationwide Congresses, Convention
-
Sports3 days ago
DG NIS Wants NSC Board Constituted, Seeks Increased In Funding
-
Business4 days agoCustoms Seek Support To Curb Smuggling In Ogun
-
Featured3 days agoINEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
-
Sports3 days agoSWAN Rivers Set-up Five Functional Committees
-
News3 days ago
Police Bust Kidnapping Syndicate In PH
-
Sports3 days ago
NSC Disburses N200m Training Grants To 26 Athletes
-
Sports3 days ago
‘NTF Will Build On Davis Cup Success For Brighter Future’
