News
RSG Plans Post Flood Palliatives For Ravaged Communities … Distributes Relief Materials To EMOLGA, AKULGA Victims
The Rivers State Government has concluded plans to embark on post-flood palliatives for negatively ravaged communities in the state.
Chairman, Rivers State Flood Management Task Force, Dr. George Nwaeke, said this during the distribution of food items to Agbandele, Rumuekpe, Soku and Elem Sangama communities, all in Emohua and Akuku-Toru local government areas, respectively.
Nwaeke said the palliatives would include clothes for men, women and children, and special species of cassava stems with six months’ lifespan.
Also to be shared are, mattresses, mosquito nets, blankets, foams, and others.
He said that the state Governor, Chief Nyesom Wike, was committed to alleviating the sufferings of the people, adding that the committee was determined to ensure that no camp was starved of palliatives until the flood completely recedes.
Nwaeke said the government’s medical teams were already at the various camps, giving medical attention to those displaced by the flood.
While handing over relief materials to the Chairman of Emohua Local Government Area,Dr Chidi Lloyd, and his Akuku-Toru counterpart,Hon.Roland Sekibo,who was represented by his Vice, West Caroline Napoleon, Nwaeke said the items were to alleviate the sufferings of the people.
While receiving the items, Chairman, Emohua Local Government Council, Dr Chidi Lloyd, and his Akuku-Toru counterpart, Hon Roland Sekibo, thanked Wike for identifying with the plights of displaced persons in the local government areas.
For Lloyd, Wike had proven that he was a leader who cares for his people.
“It is not about dashing people money but doing things that will impact positively on the lives of the people”, he said.
In his remarks, Sekibo said the council was grateful to the governor for the gesture.
Speaking with newsmen earlier, Secretary of the committee and Commissioner for Social Welfare, Barrister Inime Aguma, said Wike was committed to alleviating the plights of internally displaced persons (IDPs).
The commissioner later conducted newsmen round all the items earmarked for the post-flood programme.
Earlier last week, the committee had released additional eight truckloads of food and cheques to the four local government areas of Abua/Odual, Ahoada West, Ahoada East and Ogba/Egbema/Ndoni bordering Orashi river.
News
Odu Charges Newlyweds To Build Marriage On Love
Rivers State Deputy Governor, Prof. Ngozi Odu, has charged newlywed couples to build their marriages on the virtues of love as taught in the Word of God.
Prof. Odu gave the charge at the wedding ceremony of Amblessed Favour Sunny-Cookey and Samson Jesuganji at Lifegate Power Ministries, Dominion Cathedral, in Port Harcourt at the weekend.
This was contained in a statement by the Head of Press, Deputy Governor’s Office, Owupele Benebo last Saturday.
The statement identified the bride as the daughter of Pastor Sunny Cookey, the Founder and Presiding Pastor of Lifegate Ministries.
The deputy governor congratulated the couple on a new phase of life, and prayed for God’s blessings upon their union, noting that the couple were raised by godly parents and encouraging them to uphold the Christian values instilled in them.
Referring to the sermon delivered during the ceremony, Odu emphasized that the principles of love and submission remain fundamental to a successful marriage.
According to her, genuine love reflects the nature of God, stressing that love should remain the foundation of the couple’s relationship as they journey through life together.
She prayed for enduring peace, happiness, and progress in their home, expressing confidence that the marriage would continue to flourish under God’s guidance.
The deputy governor commended the families of the couple for their support and upbringing, while urging the newlyweds to always remember the significance of the day and the commitment they had made before God and witnesses.
In his sermon at the wedding, the Founder and Presiding Pastor of Salvation Ministries, Pastor David Ibiyeomie, stated that marriage did not originate from Western culture, traditions, or human ideas, but from God, whom he described as the “manufacturer” of marriage.
According to the cleric, couples seeking lasting and peaceful homes must rely on biblical principles rather than societal trends or assumptions.
He explained that many marital crises and rising divorce rates stem from ignorance and failure to apply scriptural teachings in family life.
Drawing from the biblical parable of building a house on a rock, Ibiyeomie said the Word of God remains the only solid foundation capable of sustaining marriages through challenges and difficult times.
He noted that marriage naturally comes with unexpected realities and pressures, stressing that religious ceremonies or cultural practices alone are not enough to sustain a home without proper understanding of God’s instructions.
The pastor further warned that ignorance of scripture remains one of the greatest weapons against believers, urging Christians to study and practice the Word of God rather than merely attending church services.
The ceremony had many ministers in attendance including Apostle Zilly Aggrey, Pastor George Izunwa, and Bishop Winston Iwo.
News
JAMB Recorded Over 22 Million UTME Candidates Since 2015 -Report
No fewer than 22,537,451 candidates registered for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination and Direct Entry between 2015 and 2026, a report by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has revealed.
Figures released by the board and obtained by The Tide indicated that the statistics were compiled while the 2026 DE registration exercise was still ongoing.
According to the data, UTME accounted for the highest number of registrations during the period, recording about 21.26 million candidates, while approximately 1.28 million applicants registered through DE.
The board’s records showed that 1,644,072 candidates registered in 2015, comprising 1,475,600 UTME candidates and 168,472 DE applicants.
In 2016, registrations increased to 1,764,859, with 1,592,462 candidates for UTME and 172,397 for DE.
A total of 1,882,559 candidates registered in 2017 cycle, including 1,722,269 for UTME and 160,290 for DE.
In 2018, the figure declined to 1,793,018, with 1,653,127 UTME and 139,891 DE candidates.
Registrations rose again in 2019 to 1,989,682, with 1,886,509 UTME and 103,173 DE applicants, and increased further in 2020 to 2,110,623, comprising 1,949,983 UTME and 160,640 DE candidates.
In 2021, the board recorded a drop to 1,428,209 total registrations, made up of 1,351,284 UTME and 76,925 Direct Entry applicants.
This was followed by a rebound in 2022, when 1,859,532 candidates registered, including 1,761,262 UTME and 98,270 DE.
The 2023 cycle saw registrations fall again to 1,635,673, with 1,595,779 UTME and 39,894 DE candidates.
However, numbers climbed in 2024 to 2,040,018, comprising 1,992,660 UTME and 47,358 DE registrations.
In 2025, a total of 2,093,329 candidates registered, made up of 2,031,754 UTME and 62,205 DE applicants.
For 2026, the board recorded 2,295,877 total registrations, consisting of 2,243,245 UTME and 52,632 DE candidates.
Meanwhile, JAMB and stakeholders in the tertiary education sector recently approved 150 as the minimum admission benchmark for universities for the 2026/2027 academic session.
The decision was reached on Monday during the 2026 annual policy meeting on admissions into tertiary institutions held in Abuja.
The meeting also adopted 100 as the minimum score for admission into polytechnics and colleges of education, while Colleges of Nursing fixed 150 as their admission benchmark.
News
Police Detain ASP Over Suspect’s Escape In Rivers
The Rivers State Police Command has detained an Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP), Ekawhe Thomas, over an alleged escape of a suspected criminal from the police custody.
The command said the officer was arrested as part of ongoing disciplinary measures initiated after the incident, while efforts have also been intensified to rearrest the fleeing suspect.
Spokesperson of the Command, Blessing Agabe, disclosed this in a statement issued last Friday.
According to the statement, preliminary findings from an internal review of the incident revealed that ASP Ekawhe Thomas, attached to the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID), was allegedly responsible for the lapse that led to the suspect’s escape.
The statement noted that the officer has since been taken into custody and would face formal interrogation to ascertain the circumstances surrounding the development.
“Investigations were ongoing to determine what transpired during the handling of the suspect and whether established operational procedures were compromised”, it said.
The police image maker, in the statement, further explained that the Command had commenced a manhunt for the escaped suspect, whose whereabouts were still unknown as of the time of filing this report.
The command assured residents that tactical measures had already been put in place to ensure the suspect was tracked and apprehended.
Reacting to the incident, the State Commissioner of Police, Olugbenga Adepoju, expressed displeasure over the development.
The commissioner, according to the statement, warned that the command would not tolerate negligence, misconduct, or abuse of office by any officer or personnel under its watch.
He maintained that any officer found culpable after the conclusion of the investigations would face appropriate sanctions in line with existing police regulations.
He reiterated the command’s commitment to professionalism, accountability, and the protection of citizens’ rights in the discharge of its duties.
The Police appealed to members of the public to remain calm and cooperate with security agencies by providing useful information that could aid the re-arrest of the fleeing suspect.
The statement also assured residents that the matter was being handled with utmost seriousness to prevent a recurrence of such incidents within the state.
By: King Onunwor
-
Featured5 days agoWASSCE: RSG Distributes Science Materials To Secondary Schools
-
News5 days ago
Xenophobic Attacks: Nigerian Lives More Important Than Foreign Investment – Oshiomhole
-
Politics5 days agoINEC Sets Rivers South-East Senatorial By-Election For June 20
-
Sports5 days ago
Football Pundit Lauds Chelle’s Effort In Monitoring Nigeria League Players
-
Editorial5 days agoNCC, Save Nigerians From Exploitation
-
News5 days ago
RSG Reaffirms Commitment To Quality Education
-
Nation5 days ago
Rivers Deputy Governor Hails PH City One Love For Humanitarian Gesture
-
Niger Delta5 days agoFubara Charges Graduands On Discipline, Professionalism … As IAUE Holds 44th Convoc
