Politics
Electoral Act Amendment Bill And 2023
By the pronouncement of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), exactly one year from today, Nigerians will be going to the polls in the next round of general elections in the country.
Chairman of INEC, Prof, Mahmood Yakubu, stated this in April last year during a one-day Public Hearing on the National Electoral Offence Commission (Establishment) Bill 2021, organised by the Senate Committee on INEC in Abuja, indicating in the same breath however, that a timetable and schedule of activities for the 2023 general elections could only be made public after the legal framwork for the elections had become law.
“ By the principle established by the commission, the 2023 General Election will hold on Saturday, 18th February, 2023 which is exactly one year, nine months, two weeks and six days or 660 days from today.
“We hope to release the Timetable and schedule of Activities for the General Election immediately after the Anambra Governorship election scheduled to hold on 6th November, 2021.
“ In order to do so, there should be clarity and certainty about the electoral legal frame work to govern the election. We are confident that the National Assembly will do the needful in earnest, Prof. Yakubu said.
“As soon as it (the Electoral Act Amendment Bill) is signed into law, the Commission will quickly, release the timetable and schedule of activities for the 2023 general elections based in the new law’’, the INEC Chairman said in Abuji during the Commission’s first quarterly on January 18, 2022.
Speaking at the same event, the Chairman of Inter-Party Advisory Council (IPAC) and Chairman of Action Democratic Party (ADP), Yabagi Sani, lamented that a major impediment to the successful conduct of the 2023 general elections, is the lingering debacle between the executive and legislature on the fake of the electoral amendment bill.
While urging the President to sign the bill into law without further delay, the IPAC Chairman said ‘’We at IPAC are anticipating the emergence of an Electoral Act that will address among others, the lingering and fundamental issues relating to the legalisation of electronic accreditation of voters as well as the electronic transmission of election results; issues relating to substitution of candidates in the event of death in an election,; a redefinition of what amounts to over-voting; early release of funds to INEC; early commencement of campaigns by political parties and, the period that political parties are legally allowed to commence campaigns in the countdown to elections’’.
On December 30, 2021, President Muhammadu Buhari transmitted to the National Assembly a letter declining his assent to the Electoral Act Amendment Bill 2021 earlier delivered to him for his statutory endorsement. This was after he had sat on the bill until the very last of the 30 days provided him by law within which he was required to either append his signature or return the bill to the legislature.
According to President Buhari, the Electoral Act (Amendment ) Bill 2021, seeks to amend certain provisions of the extant Electoral Act 2010. Part of the objective of the Bill is the amendment of the present Section 87 of the Electoral Act 2010 to delete the provision for the conduct of indirect primaries in the nomination of party candidates such that party candidates can henceforth only emerge through direct primanies.
“ The conduct of direct primanies across the 8,809 wards across the length and breadth of the country will lead to a significant spike in cost of conducting primary elections by parties as well as increase in the cost of monitoring such election by INEC, who has to deploy monitors across these wards each time a party is to conduct direct primaries for the presidential, gubernatorial and legislative posts.
“ The addition of these costs with the already huge cost of conducting general elections will inevitably lead to huge financial burden on both the political parties, INEC and the economy in general at a time of dwindling revenues.’’
For this and attendant consequences, and sundry issues he identified, the president said, ‘’In the premise of the above, I hereby signify to the National Assembly that I am constrained to withhold assent to the Electoral Act (Amendment) Bill 2021 in line with the provisions of section 58(1,) and (4) of the 1999 constitution (as amended).
“ It is my considered position that the political parties should be allowed to freely exercise right of choice in deciding which of direct or indirect primaries to adopt in the conduct of their primary elections as their respective realities many permit.’’
In the circumstance, the National Assembly which has the power to either veto the president’s position or rework the bill in accordance with his observations and propositions succumbed to the latter as many Nigerians had thought they would do in line with their observed lack of courage to square up to the president on critical national issues.
On Monday, January 31, 2022, the Senior Special Assistant on National Assembly Matters (Senate), Senator Babajide Omoworare disclosed in a statement that ‘’The Clerk of the National Assembly, Mr Olatunde Amos Ojo has transmitted the authenticated copies of the Electoral Bill 2022 to the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR, on 31st January, 2022’’.
The Presidential aide said ‘’ This was done in accordance with the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (as amended) and the Acts Autheritication Act cap Az LFN 2004’’, adding that ‘’ Mr President had withheld assent to the Electoral Bill 2021 transmitted to him on 19 November, 2021.
The Electoral Bill was thereafter reworked by the National Assembly and both the Senate and the House of Representation passed same on 25th January, 2022.’’
To the consternation and irritation of Nigerians, President Muhammadu Buhari is back to his characteristic hibernating on the bill as nearly three weeks after receiving the document, the only thing that has been heard from the Presidential quarters is that the chief executive of the cantry is consulting again.
Expressing his disappointment with the unfortunate situation, the Rivers State Governor, Chief Nyesom Wike, last Saturday in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State, noted with regret that President was being sentimental and biazenly partisan in his handing of the matter and urged him (president) to do the needful in the interest of all Nigeria.
“ Every time this government, this party will find an excuse of not signing an Electoral Act. In 2018 to 2019, when they inserted the card reader in Electoral Act Amendment Bill, Mr President said no, it is too early, I will not sign because they know if they had inserted it (card reader) in 2019 election, it would have been difficult for APC to win,’’ he said, arguing that ‘’ Now, we are in 2022, going for 2023, National Assembly, in their wisdom said there must be direct primaries by all the parties. Mr President came and said no, put options. National Assembly, in their wisdom, has amended the bill and agreed to what Mr President said. Now again Mr President said I’m in dilemma, I’m consulting.
‘‘What is he consulting about? That there is a clause that says if a minister or a commissioner wants to run for election, you have to resign, that is why up till now Mr Prersident cannot assent to the Electoral Act Amendment Bill?’’
Speaking at an event in Abuja last week, Prof. Attahiru Jega, former chairman of INEC, underlined the importance of a good law for the integrity of the electoral process, noting that ‘’We were in an unfortunate situation where a tendency had began to develop, where both the Executive and Legislature did not see the necessity of urgent improvement in the electoral of legal frameworks that we can keep up upscaling the integrity of our elections,’’ adding that ‘’ Luckily, now we have a good law arising from the reform process which commenced after the 2019 election.’’
Prof. Jega said though it was unfortunate that it had taken this long to amend, the bill is perhaps ‘’ the best electoral law in our history’’ and expressed the confidence that ‘’ It will certainty add tremendously value to the integrity of our elections henceforth when it is signed.’’
Last Monday, Governors elected under the People Democratic Party (PDP), at the end of their meeting in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State, urged President Buhari to sign the Bill without further delay.
In a communiqué read to journalists by the Vice Chairman of the PDP Governors’ Forum, Goernor Okezie Ikpeazu, governors under the main opposition party in the country said the president’s delay in assenting to the bill was a sign of unwillingness to provide Nigerians with a reformed electoral legal framework that could provide solutions to much of the challenges confronting our electoral system.
“Waiting to run out the 30 days is yet another sign of unwillingness by Mr President to give Nigeria a reformed electoral framework’’, they said, adding that ‘’If there are still misgivings on any aspect of the Bill, amendment may be introduced at a later stage’’.
For now the nation waits and critical electoral activities towards the 2023 general elections remain in limbo as President Muhammadu Buhari seems determined to fully enjoy another 30 days reverie before telling Nigerians whether or not he believes the 2023 general elections should take place under freerer, fairer and more credible atmosphere.
By: Opaka Dokubo
Politics
FG’s Economic Policies Not Working – APC Chieftain
A senator who represented Taraba Central, Mr Abubakar Yusuf, has declared that the economic policies of President Bola Tinubu are not yielding the expected results.
His comment is one of the strongest internal critiques yet from within the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).
The comment underscores the growing dissatisfaction within sections of the ruling party over the direction and impact of the administration’s economic reforms amid rising living costs and fiscal pressures across the country.
Mr Yusuf, who served in the Senate between 2015 and 2023 under the platform of the APC, made the remarks during an appearance on national television.
Responding to a question on whether the administration’s economic direction, often referred to as Tinubunomics, was working, Mr Yusuf answered in the contrary.
“For me, it is not working. I am a member of the APC. I would be the last person to hide the facts”, he said.
He said while the government might be operating diligently within its policy structure, the framework itself is ill-suited to Nigeria’s current realities
“Within the policy framework, yes, they are doing their best, but it is not the framework that is suitable for Nigeria at the point in time that President Asiwaju came into power,” he said.
Mr Yusuf criticised the immediate removal of fuel subsidy on the day the president was sworn in, arguing that the decision lacked sufficient consultation and planning.
“I am one of those who say President Asiwaju ought to have waited. Not on the day he was sworn in to say subsidy is gone. On what basis?”, he asked.
He urged broader engagement before major fiscal decisions are taken.
“Sit down with your cabinet, sit down with your ministers, sit down with your advisers,” he said, dismissing the argument that subsidy removal was justified solely on grounds of corruption.
The former lawmaker identified “structural flaws” in the country’s budgeting system, particularly the envelope budgeting model.
“One of the basic problems is that before you budget, you should have a plan. The envelope system we have been operating has been you budget before you plan. That has been a major issue”, he said.
He argued that allocating spending ceilings without aligning them to concrete development strategies inevitably weakens implementation and delivery.
“If you give me an envelope which is contrary to my plan, whether it is plus or minus, there is no way I am going to implement my plan. It is bound to fail,” he said.
Mr Yusuf called for the scrapping of the envelope budgeting system, noting that he had consistently opposed it even during his years in the National Assembly.
“It is not good for us. It is not going to work well for us,” he said.
He further blamed poor capital releases and persistent deficit financing for undermining budget performance over the years.
“We could not meet 60 percent of our capital budget in all these years. No releases. If you make a budget and the release is very poor, there is no way the budget will be executed”, he stated.
According to him, weak fund disbursement mechanisms and reliance on deficit financing have entrenched a cycle of underperformance.
“Our budget ought to have been a surplus budget, but all our budgets have always been deficit financing budgets,” Mr Yusuf added.
Politics
Reps To Meet,’Morrow Over INEC’s 2027 Election Timetable
The Nigerian House of Representatives has resolved to reconvene for an emergency session tomorrow February 17, 2026, to deliberate on issues arising from the Independent National Electoral Commission’s (INEC) release of the timetable for the 2027 general elections.
The decision was disclosed in a statement issued by the House Spokesman, Rep. Akin Rotimi, who described the electoral body’s announcement as one of “constitutional and national significance.”
INEC had fixed February 20, 2027, for the Presidential and National Assembly elections.
According to the statement, members of the Green Chamber were notified of the emergency sitting through an internal memorandum from the Speaker’s office.
The session is expected to focus on legislative matters connected to the newly released timetable, reflecting the House’s resolve to act promptly on issues affecting the nation’s democratic process.
Rep. Rotimi noted that all related businesses would be treated with urgency and urged lawmakers to prioritise attendance in view of the importance of the deliberations.
INEC had on Friday formally unveiled the comprehensive schedule for the 2027 polls, including timelines for party primaries slated for July to September 2026, as well as the commencement of Continuous Voter Registration in April 2026.
The development comes amid ongoing consultations and proposed amendments to the Electoral Act ahead of the 2027 general elections.
Politics
Group Continues Push For Real Time Election Results Transmission
As the controversy over the transmission of election results continues across the country, the Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), a pro democracy organisation in the country, has criticised the National Assembly for not giving express approval to real time transmission of elections results.
To this end, the group is calling on all civil society organisations in the country to mobilise and push for a better Electoral Reform in the country.
This was contained in a press statement titled, “Defence For Human Rights and Democracy Demands Real Time Election Transmission of Result”, a copy of which was made available to newsmen in Port Harcourt.
The group described the refusal of compulsory real time transmission of result results by the Senate as undemocratic, adding that the situation will give room for election manipulation, rigging and voters apathy.
It said that the provision of mandatory real time transmission of election results would have significant improvement on the nation’s democracy.
According to the statement, “Since the return of democracy in 1999 to date, it is 27 years, so our Democracy has metamorphosed from being nascent and as such significant improvement should have been recorded.
“Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), is really disappointed at the National Assembly, especially the upper chamber (Senate) for not approving ‘Real Time Electronic Transmission of Election Result’.
“This undemocratic act of theirs, if not tamed, will give room for election manipulation and rigging’”.
Signed by Comrade Clifford Christopher Solomon on behalf of the organisation, the statement further said, “The Defence For Human Rights and Democracy unequivocally supports real time transmission of election result”, stressing that his group will resist any act by the National Assembly to undermine the nation’s democracy.
“DHRD,unequivocally supports ‘True Democracy’, which is Government of the people, by the people and for the people.
“Therefore, anything that will crash the hope of Nigerians to Freely, Fairly and Transparently elect candidates of their choice in any given election should and will be vehemently resisted because good governance begins with leaders elected through credible process. By so doing, leaders have entered a social contract with the citizens to equitably manage their affairs and abundant resources”, the statement added.
It urged the National Assembly to revisit the issue in order to avoid civil unrest.
According to the DHRD, “To avoid civil unrest,voters apathy, election rigging and manipulation, rather to promote citizens participation, advancing our Democracy and entrenching free, fair, credible and acceptable electoral outcome, the National Assembly should amend the electoral act in a manner that will deepen our democracy and boost citizens confidence.
“On this note, The Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), is calling on all other civil society organisations (CSOs) to mobilise, organise and push for a better electoral act amendment by the National Assembly”.
By: John Bibor
-
Politics4 days agoAPC Releases Adjusted Timetable For Nationwide Congresses, Convention
-
Sports1 day ago2026 WC: Nigeria, DR Congo Awaits FIFA Verdict Today
-
Sports4 days ago
DG NIS Wants NSC Board Constituted, Seeks Increased In Funding
-
Business4 days agoCustoms Seek Support To Curb Smuggling In Ogun
-
Featured4 days agoINEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
-
Sports4 days agoSWAN Rivers Set-up Five Functional Committees
-
Sports4 days ago
NSC Disburses N200m Training Grants To 26 Athletes
-
Sports4 days ago
‘NTF Will Build On Davis Cup Success For Brighter Future’
