Connect with us

Niger Delta

Diri Cautions Politicians Against Sponsoring Terrorism

Published

on

Bayelsa State Governor, Senator Douye Diri, has cautioned politicians against sponsoring terrorism and other criminal acts in the country as preparations for the 2023 general elections gather momentum.
Diri gave the warning on Wednesday at the 72nd session of the Bayelsa State Executive Council at the Exco Chambers in Government House, Yenagoa.
The Governor, who spoke through his Deputy, Senator Lawrence Ewhrudjakpo, said there was a compelling need to appeal to all politicians to eschew criminality and brigandage as they go about pursuing their legitimate political ambitions.
A statement by the Senior Special Assistant on Media to the Deputy Governor, Mr Doubara Atasi, noted that the Governor particularly urged the political class in the State to place the common good of the state above their personal interests.

Bayelsa State Governor, Senator Douye Diri (2nd right), with his Deputy, Senator Lawrence Ewhrudjakpo (2nd left); retiring High Court Judge, Justice Nayai Aganaba (right); and his wife, during the launch of a book in honour of the Jurist in Yenagoa, recently.

He condemned a recent case of desecration of the law court by some unscrupulous elements over the hearing of an intra-party matter concerning the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the state.
According to the Bayelsa Chief Executive, the frequency at which the judiciary was being threatened, maligned, coerced and desecrated in the country was beyond permissible thresholds in any society, just as he maintained that the brutish era when people used their might and power to acquire and exercise political power was over, and therefore, stressed the need for all political actors to play by the rules.
He also advised those who had matters pending in court, to allow the courts determine the outcome, pointing out that the courts in Bayelsa are courts of first instance, which did not preclude anybody’s right of appeal.
“We are appealing to our politicians to eschew criminality, brigandage, and sponsorship of terrorism. We are also appealing to them to play by the rules and uphold decorum in all their activities.
“Only a couple of days ago, an inter-party matter led to the desecration of our court. Let the political class play by the rule of law and not by the rule of might.
“We are no longer in the brutish era when people use their might to acquire and exercise power. So, the processes must be allowed to run their full course.
“Politicians who have matters in court should allow the courts to determine the outcomes. In any case, the courts here are courts of first instance, which does not preclude your right of appeal. They should allow the courts do their job”, he said.
Governor Diri, who thanked Bayelsans for their tremendous support and cooperation so far, however, appealed to the PDP faithful in the state to shun acrimonious debates, blackmail and lies over party nominations ahead of the primaries.
He said all stakeholders should be ready to make sacrifice in the overall interest of the party when and where necessary, to move the party and the state forward.

By: Ariwera Ibibo-Howells, Yenagoa

Continue Reading

Niger Delta

850-bed UCTH overstretched, services 5m patients – CMD

Published

on

The Chief Medical Director (CMD) of the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital (UCTH), Prof. Ikpeme Ikpeme, has said the 850-bed hospital is overstretched, as it currently serves over five million patients.
He disclosed this on Friday during a media tour of the facility to showcase ongoing renovations and facelift in the hospital.
The CMD noted that, aside being the only tertiary healthcare facility servicing the state, UCTH also serviced neighbouring states of Akwa Ibom and Ebonyi.
He said the hospital also received referrals from neighbouring countries, including Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea and Central African Republic.
According to him, the 850-bed hospital faced persistent space constraints because of increasing patients inflow and expanding healthcare demands.
“This hospital currently operates 62 clinical and non-clinical departments as well as  between 30 and 38 wards covering medical, surgical, paediatric, orthopaedic and specialised services.
“Most wards have undergone facelift, remodelling, or complete renovation to improve patient care and working conditions for healthcare professionals”, he said.
He disclosed that the hospital was constructing a new 106-bed emergency medicine facility to address the rising demand for healthcare services.
According to him, the facility will include trauma bays, intensive care units, neonatal wards, and three fully equipped trauma theatres.
Speaking on the remodeled wards, Ikpeme explained that they followed modern nursing principles, allowing one nurse to attend to a maximum of 10 patients.
He said relatives would be restricted to designated waiting areas to reduce interference with medical procedures and improve emergency response efficiency.
The CMD noted that the hospital had strengthened specialist services in orthopaedics, neurosurgery, obstetrics, radiology, and minimally invasive surgery.
“UCTH now performs hip and knee replacements, arthroscopy, sports medicine, and complex brain tumour surgeries.
“Our surgeons also conduct keyhole procedures for appendectomy, hysterectomy and other conditions with faster patient recovery periods,” he said
In power, the CMD said the hospital relied on solar power from a seven-megawatt plant, constructed by the Federal Government at the University of Calabar, as well as public power supply, and generators to sustain its operations.
He appealed to governments, organisations, and philanthropists to support infrastructure expansion, equipment procurement, and specialised healthcare projects.
The CMD said the hospital required additional incubators, ward expansions, and a stand-alone amenity facility for private healthcare services.
He used the opportunity to dismiss allegations of ethnic discrimination, insisting that the hospital does not reject workers or patients based on tribe or origin.
According to him, the institution recently honoured an Igbo pioneer physician by naming a ward after him in recognition of decades of service.
The CMD said the hospital maintained strict disciplinary procedures to address negligence, poor attitude, and unethical conduct among staff.
The Tide’s source reports that some of the units visited include, intensive care unit, Department of Radiology, Urology Clinic, and Opthalmology Clinic.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

Police Burst Child Trafficking Syndicate In A’Ibom … Nab 3 Suspects

Published

on

The Police Command in Akwa Ibom State says it has busted a child trafficking syndicate and arrested three suspects for conspiracy and unlawful sale of a newborn baby in the State.
The State’s Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Timfom John, who disclosed this in a statement in Uyo on Friday, said the three female suspects were arrested on Wednesday at about 1900hrs.
She said a complainant reported that his wife gave birth to a baby boy on May 7 and shockingly, shortly after delivery sold the newborn child to one of the suspects for N145, 000.
“Upon receipt of the report, operatives immediately swung into action, leading to the arrest of the suspects and the successful recovery of the baby boy.
“The suspects reportedly confessed to the crime during interrogation, while investigation has been expanded to identify and apprehend all individuals connected to the trafficking syndicate”, John said.
She said the State’s Commissioner of Police, Baba Azare, reiterated the Command’s commitment to sustaining aggressive intelligence-led policing in the state.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

A’Ibom Launches Operation Crack Down Scrap Dealers 

Published

on

The Akwa-Ibom State Government has launched a statewide crackdown on unregistered scrap dealers and scavengers, shutting down illegal operations and arresting operators accused of violating environmental and public safety regulations.
The enforcement operation, led by the Akwa Ibom State Environmental Protection and Waste Management Agency (AKSEPWMA), followed the implementation of the state’s Waste Metal Scrap Law 2026, officials said.
AKSEPWMA Chairman, Obong Prince Ikim, said the exercise was aimed at regulating the scrap sector, protect the environment, and prevent criminal groups from operating under the guise of waste collection and metal trading.
“If you want to do scrap business, you must register,” Mr. Ikim said during the operation in Uyo, the state capital.
“Many people now hide under scrap trading to perpetrate nefarious activities”, he said.
According to him, dump site operators and scrap dealers who failed to register with the government risked closure and prosecution.
Authorities accused some operators of involvement in vandalism of public infrastructure and indiscriminate waste disposal, adding that investigations had uncovered criminal activities linked to several dump sites across the state.
“Some people vandalise government facilities in the name of scrap business and encourage indiscriminate dumping of refuse,” Mr. Ikim said.
He added that the state government and security agencies would continue efforts to enforce compliance and maintain public order.
“The Commissioner of Police has zero tolerance for criminality, and the Governor wants Akwa Ibom people to sleep with their eyes closed. We will fish out every defaulter”, he said.
Police officials involved in the operation said investigations showed that some criminal suspects used scrap yards and refuse dump sites as cover for illegal activities.
CSP Okwuzulike Vincent of the Itam Police Station said some suspects pretended to be mentally unstable while hiding ammunition and other suspicious items in makeshift shelters around dump locations.
The police officer praised the environmental agency for what he described as proactive efforts to sanitise the sector and pledged continued cooperation between law enforcement and the agency.
Officials said some first-time offenders arrested during the operation were released after profiling and signing undertakings, while repeat offenders would face prosecution.
Continue Reading

Trending