Connect with us

Sports

Yobo, Odemwingie Struggle For Eagles Shirts

Published

on

Joseph Yobo and Peter Odemwingie, who have been overlooked at international level in the past, are hoping to impress Nigeria coach Stephen Keshi in a bid to secure their places in the Super Eagles World Cup squad.
Fenerbahce defender Yobo had a public spat with Keshi after reacting angrily to being omitted from the squad that drew 1-1 against Kenya in a World Cup qualifier at home in March.
Cardiff City striker Odemwingie played at the 2004, 2006, 2008 and 2010 Nations Cups.
He had accused Keshi of disrespect by not informing him personally of his decision to leave him out of his 2013 Africa Cup of Nations squad.
With the coach publicly revealing he is keen to end their time in the international wilderness, both players are relishing a reprieve in the hope of securing inclusion into the final squad for Brazil 2014.
Yobo, who made his international debut in 2001, is determined to rise to the challenge.
“We’ve spoken a couple of times and the coach says I’m still in his plans so that’s some great news,” Yobo told Tidesports source.
“He has always said that I’m the captain. He is the boss, and he decides who he wants to call up to the squad.”
The 33-year-old, who is his country’s most capped player on 93 appearances, is also aware he has his work cut out to earn a ticket to Brazil.
“On my part, I want to give myself the best possible chance to make the squad. To do that, I have to stay in shape and play regularly,” he said.
“If I don’t get playing time at Fenerbahce, I will go elsewhere to get regular football.
“It’s a big opportunity and every professional footballer would love to play at the World Cup, so I’m no different from any ambitious football player.”
Odemwingie last played for the Super Eagles in February 2012 in a goalless draw with Rwanda in a Cup of Nations qualifier.A representative from the Nigerian Football Federation watched the 32-year-old against Manchester United in the Premier League last month, and the player told Tidesport source there could still be a glimmer of hope of flying with the Super Eagles again.
“You can’t expect an automatic call-up from the coach, you have to fight and prove yourself worthy to be part of the team.”
“I was in the squad in 2002 and went to the World Cup in 2010, it would be a dream come true to get another chance to play in Brazil,” Odemwingie said.
“The World Cup is a big stage, hopefully I can do enough at club level to impress the coach.
“The team has been doing well, they are the African Champions and gave everything to secure a World Cup place.
“You can’t expect an automatic call-up from the coach, you have to fight and prove yourself worthy to be part of the team.

Continue Reading

Sports

Inter Best Juventus To Maintain Serie  A Lead

Published

on

Andrea Cambiaso scored at both ends during the first half of Saturday’s Derby d’Italia, before Pierre Kalulu’s red card forced Juventus to play the entire second half a man light.

Substitute Francesco Pio Esposito got Inter back in front with a bullet header, then Manuel Locatelli’s pinpoint finish looked to have salvaged a point for the Bianconeri, before Zielinski struck on the cusp of stoppage time.

Juventus made the brighter start, but they were masters of their own downfall in the 17th minute, when Cambiaso deflected Luis Henrique’s cross beyond Michele Di Gregorio.

Cambiaso atoned within nine minutes, catching Henrique on his heels when Weston McKennie’s cross squirmed through to the back post and applying a side-footed finish.

But after Bremer cleared Zielinski’s dinked effort off the line, Juve’s hopes were damaged when Kalulu received his second yellow card for a 42nd-minute pull on Alessandro Bastoni, though the Inter centre-back appeared to go down theatrically.

Di Gregorio made a remarkable stop to thwart Hakan Calhanoglu, but as Juventus dropped ever deeper, they were punished when substitute Esposito guided Federico Dimarco’s searching cross into the far corner with 76 minutes on the clock.

It looked like Inter would have to settle for a point when Locatelli whipped a wonderful finish into the bottom-left corner in the 83rd minute, but Zielinski had the final say as his 20-yard drive fizzed through Locatelli’s legs and beat Di Gregorio.

Continue Reading

Sports

Szoboszlai’s Real Madrid Dream Sparks Concern At Liverpool 

Published

on

A cloud of uncertainty has settled over Liverpool after comments from Hungary head coach Marco Rossi reignited speculation about Dominik Szoboszlai and Real Madrid.

Rossi, who has worked closely with Szoboszlai since his teenage years, revealed that the midfielder’s lifelong ambition is to play for the Spanish giants.

“Because of the very close and direct relationship I’ve had with Dominik since he was a child, Real Madrid has always been his dream,” Rossi said.

For a Liverpool side building around Szoboszlai as a centerpiece of Arne Slot’s project, those words landed hard.

Within hours of Rossi’s remarks, Szoboszlai interacted on social media with two Real Madrid players, applauding posts from Vinicius Junior and Trent Alexander-Arnold following Madrid’s win over Real Sociedad.

His reaction to Vinicius’ post drew particular attention. The exchange with Alexander-Arnold, his former Liverpool teammate, was seen as less surprising.

Still, in the hyper-connected world of elite soccer, even a digital thumbs-up can carry weight. On Merseyside, fans and pundits quickly began dissecting the meaning behind the interactions.

Szoboszlai, Hungary’s captain, has become one of Liverpool’s most influential players. That status is precisely why Rossi’s comments triggered such an intense reaction in England.

The midfielder had just delivered on the field as well, scoring in Liverpool’s 3-0 FA Cup fourth-round victory over Brighton & Hove Albion at Anfield.

After the match, Mohamed Salah heaped praise on his teammate, calling Szoboszlai “the best player in the world.” Slot struck a slightly more measured tone but echoed the sentiment.

“I think there are many elite players in the world, but I definitely agree with Mo that he is one of them,” Slot said. “He is very important for us.”

Szoboszlai is under contract at Liverpool through 2028. However, the club is reportedly eager to open extension talks in the coming months to secure his long-term future.

The player himself addressed the situation recently with notable candor.

“There’s nothing yet, to be honest. Nothing from now on. It’s not in my hands. That’s how it works,” he said. “There’s no progress, but if the right offer comes, we’ll see.”

He was equally clear about his affection for Liverpool.

“We’ll see what happens. Hopefully everyone will be happy in the end. Of course I want to stay. I like the city, I like the club, I like playing with these guys. I love Anfield, I love the fans. Let’s see what the future brings. It’s not my fault. I’d love to stay. We’ll see.”

 

Inter’s dramatic victory boosted their lead over rivals AC Milan to eight points, ahead of the Rossoneri hosting Como on Wednesday. Juventus, meanwhile, could drop out of the top four as Roma visited Napoli last night.

The last four Serie A matches between Inter and Juventus have produced a total of 21 goals (an average of 5.25 per game), compared to just nine in the previous six (1.5 per game).

Cambiaso became the first player in Derby d’Italia history to score and put through his own net in the same match between these old rivals, but it was Zielinski’s fifth Serie A goal of the season that proved decisive.

Inter will argue they were deserved victors after amassing 21 shots and 1.88 expected goals (xG), while Luciano Spalletti’s visitors mustered 10 shots and 0.92 xG – though the Bianconeri actually attempted six of their shots while down a man in the second half.

Continue Reading

Sports

Wolves Beat Man Utd Conquerors

Published

on

Premier League strugglers Wolves overcame resolute Grimsby Town in challenging conditions at Blundell Park to reach the FA Cup fifth round at the expense of the side that eliminated Manchester United in the last round.

Santiago Bueno scored from Wolves’ only shot on target with an hour played, diverting Joao Gomes’ cross past goalkeeper Jackson Smith with his thigh to end the League Two club’s resistance.

Unrelenting rainfall caused heavy ground underfoot and one penalty area in particular- that of Grimsby’s Smith in the first half – was already a quagmire before kick-off.

Charles Vernam shot narrowly wide from the edge of the box with just 43 seconds on the clock as Grimsby sought to catch their top-flight visitors cold.

Wolves had to wait until the 17th minute for their first opportunity of note, forward Tolu Arokodare firing over with a first-time attempt.

The white paint of the pitch markings soon blended and blurred with the mud as the surface rapidly deteriorated, and both sides struggled to stitch together cohesive attacks as passes travelled unpredictably across the sodden ground.

 

Continue Reading

Trending