News
16,603, Ex-Militants Graduate From Amnesty Camp
No fewer than 16, 603 repentant Niger Delta militants have so far received the mandatory transformational training on non-violence at the Federal Government’s post-amnesty camp in Obubra, Cross River.
Mr Frederick Anesah, the Camp Commandant, disclosed this in an interview with newsmen, in Obubra yesterday.
At least 20,192 ex-militants, who were granted amnesty by the Federal Government are expected to undergo demobilisation training at the camp
Anesah said that the batch 14 of the trainees, comprising 1,200 ex-militants from Rivers, had since June 23, been undergoing transformational training that would end on July 4.
He expressed the hope that the transformational programme would finish by the end of 2011.
He said: “They started coming to camp from June 23. The process started June 23rd and June 24th. On the 25th they started lectures. “They are still in the process of this transformational lectures being conducted by Foundation for Ethnic Harmony in Nigeria (FEHN).
“As far as I am concerned, they are doing very well. We have 1, 200 of them in the camp mainly from Rivers State. I could not believe that they are ex-militants.
“Their behaviour is very satisfactory. There is hope and they are happy to be here. The facilities are okay.
“ But if we have more facilities, we would train them as quickly as possible and get this phase behind us and move to the next phase. This batch will pass out on the 4th of July.
“Hopefully we will finish the programme before the end of this year. The delay in finishing was because of the April general elections.”
One of the trainees, Okorepirite Okoroji, from Tombia in Rivers, told newsmen that he was a member of the Fara Dagogo Camp prior to his being invited to Obubra for the training.
He said: “Since we came, everything has been in order. We run our programmes without any problems. We have been taught many things about how to manage life and stay away from violence.
“We enjoy and like it. I have learnt some things. I know that in life, you manage and that in life if you want anything and you are determined, you will get it.
“It pays to be straight forward in life. You do not get things by force. You exercise patience and work toward something you want and you will get it.
“When I leave here, I will be humble and keep to instructions and urge my other colleagues to do the same so they will enjoy it. I now know that life is a gradual process.’’
Another trainee, Mohammed Jombo, said: “We believe life will be better now. In the creeks, I suffered and fought the government day and night.
“We struggled because they were drilling our oil but we were still undeveloped until Yar’adua called us and we agreed to give up our arms.
“Unfortunately, he (Yar’adua) died, but we still did not lose hope. We believe Jonathan will see us through and now we see ourselves here in Obubra. They are training us here well.
“I am from Bonny and the oil companies there are not treating us well. That is why we went into the struggle to take care of our families.
“I have learnt that I do not need to use the rifle to get anything I want now. We have to get what we want through dialogue. We now have to pursue our aims through peaceful means.
“ The country we believe would help us. If they do not help us, we would look for what to do again to carry on the action.
“I want my two children to graduate from school and that is why I am following up what the government is doing for us.”
Sunday Letura, another ex-militant in Osama Camp, said that one of his legs was amputated after he was hit by bullets in the camp where he served as an informant before he was demobilised.
“I was an informant in the camp. I normally warned my people of danger. This problem happened to me in the camp. It was a gunshot. I was shot in the leg by mistake.
“They arranged to treat me, but as it was not working, I was carried to the hospital, where the amputated me. As I am now I have desisted from the bad things I used to do to a new life now.
“That new life is that I will not use violence any more. I would like to be a businessman when I leave here, especially, dealing in building materials.
“Government should help me in this direction. I am married with children. I am 32 years old. I advise my people that when I was young, I was stubborn, but as stubborn as I was, I saw no benefit.
“Now I advise them to play cool and there is no need to be troublesome.’’
Meanwhile, the Special Assistant to the President on Niger Delta Affairs, Mr Kingsley Kuku, says only 26,358 ex-militants who accepted the Federal Government’s amnesty programme were given official recognition under the ongoing rehabilitation scheme.
He made the announcement yesterday in Abuja at an orientation course for 176 former militants who are to proceed for training on pipeline welding and marine engineering at Seina Marine in South Africa.
Kuku said the ongoing disarmament exercise in the Niger Delta was illegal and had nothing to do with the presidential proclamation being handled by the Amnesty Office.
He declared that as far as the Federal Government was concerned, the disarmament programme conducted by the presidential committee on amnesty had been concluded on May 25.
Kuku urged the Joint Task Force (JTF) to stop the purported disarmament exercise currently going on in the region in order to avoid disruption of the amnesty programme.
“When amnesty was proclaimed on June 25, 2009 only 20,192 persons complied with the presidential directive. An additional list of 6,166 beneficiaries was registered later.
“For me, amnesty has ended in the Niger Delta. Only 26,358 persons accepted the amnesty and they are they ones recognised by the Federal Government.”
Kuku explained that out of the 26,358 former militants who accepted the amnesty, 17,500 persons had been enrolled for degree and vocational skill programmes in Nigeria and abroad.
He urged the 176 former militants who would proceed for vocational training at Seina Marine in South Africa, to be good ambassadors of the country and desist from any act that would bring shame to the nation.
He warned that any trainee who commits any crime would be withdrawn from the training and brought home.
News
Rivers DPOs Receive Awards For Outstanding Performance In Crime Prevention …As Students, Media Group Honour CSP Worgu, CSP Yusuf
Two Divisional Police Officers (DPOs) in Rivers State have been honoured by separate groups for their contributions to security, crime prevention and improved community-police relations in their respective areas of responsibility.
The beneficiaries are the DPO of Afam Police Division, CSP Endurance Worgu and his counterpart at Oyigbo Police Division, CSP Bello Yusuf.
CSP Worgu was honoured by a group of students under the aegis of Rivers State Graduate Students Associations for what they described as his commitment and outstanding performance in the discharge of his duties.
The students, led by Chidi John Enyie, Esq. said CSP Worgu was selected based on his track record and status as one of the longest-serving young DPOs of Rivers State origin.
According to the group, CSP Worgu has made significant contributions to the protection of lives and property in the area since assuming office following the #EndSARS period.
The students said they were particularly impressed by the improvement in community-police relations under his leadership, noting that professionalism had remained a key feature of his service.
Enyie represented by Comrade Briggs Soku, said the students community was pleased to identify with a Rivers indigene who had distinguished himself in the police force.
He said the students considered it necessary to encourage and celebrate CSP Worgu because of his achievements as a young Rivers man excelling in a profession that many people from the state were often reluctant to join.
Receiving the award at his office in Afam, CSP Worgu expressed gratitude to God and the students for finding him worthy of the honour.
The DPO said the recognition had boosted his morale and encouraged him to sustain his efforts towards maintaining peace and security in the area.
He said he least expected the honour, particularly because it came from the students, adding that the recognition would further motivate him to serve the people better.
CSP Worgu assured residents of Afam that the police would sustain the existing peace in the area.
He appealed to members of the public to support the police by providing credible and timely information, stressing that useful information from residents would make the job of security personnel easier.
Meanwhile, the Ikwerre/Etche Media Association has also honoured the DPO of Oyigbo Police Division, CSP Bello Yusuf, for his efforts in tackling criminal activities in the area.
The media group presented the award following the swift tracking and arrest of five suspected kidnappers who had allegedly terrorised residents of the Kom-Kom axis and other parts of Oyigbo.
The group commended CSP Bello for what it described as his determined efforts to restore confidence and security in the affected communities, particularly Kom-Kom and Obeama.
According to the group, the arrest of the suspects demonstrated the DPO’s commitment to tackling criminality and safeguarding residents.
The media association said residents had received the development with relief, noting that the police action had sent a strong message to criminal elements operating in the area.
Responding, CSP Yusuf appreciated the group for the recognition and reaffirmed that there would be no room for criminality in Oyigbo.
He also commended the media for its role in disseminating credible information to the public, saying the media had remained supportive of the police in the fight against crime.
CSP Yusuf warned criminal elements operating in Oyigbo to leave the area or be prepared to face the full weight of the law.
He assured residents that the police would continue to pursue criminals and work to dismantle their hideouts, regardless of where they might be operating.
News
College Of Bishops Endorses Tinubu, APC Candidates For 2027 Polls
The 5000 Achievers Christian Forum and Colleges of Bishops, Archbishops and Apostles, a Christian interdenominational organisation, has endorsed President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and all candidates of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Rivers State for the 2027 general elections.
International President of the forum, Archbishop Lucky Aroh, disclosed this during the ordination and consecration of three new Bishops, as well as an award ceremony held in Port Harcourt.
Aroh said the performance of the APC-led Federal Government had endeared the party to the organisation, prompting the forum to declare its support for President Tinubu and other APC candidates in Rivers State.
He said the forum would support all APC candidates in the state during the 2027 elections and urged Nigerians to vote for the party.
Aroh, who is also the General Overseer of Caring Peoples Church, Port Harcourt, charged the newly consecrated Bishops to see their new positions as a great responsibility and dedicate themselves to the advancement of the kingdom of God.
He cautioned them against conduct capable of bringing their offices into disrepute, stressing that their activities would be closely watched by members of the public.
“As Bishops, the eyes of the public are on your activities. You must therefore conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of your calling,” he said.
Also speaking, the International Coordinator of the forum, Bishop Saint Robinson, urged the newly consecrated Bishops to work diligently towards winning souls for the kingdom of God.
Robinson, who was the guest speaker at the event, stressed that the activities of Bishops must at all times be guided by godly principles.
He also called on members of the church to support and cooperate with the newly consecrated Bishops in the discharge of their responsibilities.
The Secretary of the College, Apostle Elizabeth Ayadi Abaye, said the organisation was established to advance the kingdom of God and promote spiritual development.
According to her, the forum has organised several crusades, conferences, prayer meetings, ordinations, consecrations, enthronements, empowerment programmes and other spiritual development activities across the country as part of efforts to win souls for Christ.
Abaye said the organisation has members across the world and disclosed that more programmes had been scheduled to promote the spiritual development and wellbeing of humanity.
The three Bishops consecrated at the ceremony were Prince Alban Chike, Testimony Omenihu Shedrach and Prince Ifemena.
Among those honoured at the event were the Chairman of the Community Development Committee (CDC), Abali Community, Port Harcourt City Local Government Area, Manuchimso Prince Lemmy Wopara, and Clifford Oko Jaja, Coordinator of the 5,000 House-to-House for President Tinubu.
By: John Bibor
News
Police Arrest Fake Soldier, Others For Armed Robbery, Kidnapping
The Rivers State Police Command has arrested a 49-year-old suspected fake soldier, Andrew Atausi, and several other suspects in connection with various criminal activities, including kidnapping, armed robbery, cultism, one-chance robbery and the alleged murder of police officers.
The State Commissioner of Police, CP Olugbenga Adepoju, disclosed this in Port Harcourt, recently during a press briefing at the Command Headquarters, where he said the arrests formed part of the operational achievements recorded by the Command between June and August 2026.
Adepoju said Atausi was arrested on August 10 by police operatives along Ada George, Port Harcourt, while dressed in military uniform and driving a Toyota Hilux painted in Army colours.
The Commissioner said investigation revealed that Atausi was not a member of the Armed Forces, adding that he was suspected to be a serial car snatcher, with three suspected stolen vehicles recovered from him.
He said the recovered vehicles included three Toyota Hilux vehicles without registration numbers and a Toyota Corona Premio with registration number BNY 380 ES, noting that the chassis and engine numbers of the vehicles had allegedly been tampered with.
Adepoju added that an axe and military accoutrements were also recovered from Atausi, as investigation continued into the circumstances surrounding the vehicles and other items recovered from him.
On the June 29 attack on police officers at Aluu Division, the Commissioner said three members of the gang allegedly responsible for the incident had been arrested by operatives of the Violent Crime Response Unit, VCRU-AKU.
The suspects, identified as Maduabuchi Emeka, 34, alleged gang leader; Doctor Chinedu Owhor, 42, and Kamachi Joe, 28, alleged armourer, reportedly led operatives to their hideout at Omagwa where two AK-47 rifles stolen during the attack were recovered.
Adepoju recalled that two police officers were killed during the Aluu attack, while others were wounded and one officer had his leg amputated, stressing that efforts were ongoing to apprehend the fourth suspect.
On kidnapping, the Commissioner said five members of a suspected kidnapping syndicate were arrested in Oyigbo Local Government Area, adding that they allegedly confessed to operations in Kom-Kom, Railway, Obeama and Afam communities.
He said two other suspects from the same network, Anele Ogbogu, 35, alleged to be the gang’s armourer, and Kenneth Eke, 38, were arrested on July 27, with one AK-47 rifle and one SMG rifle recovered.
The Commissioner further disclosed the arrest of suspects in connection with alleged firearm offences, armed robbery, cultism and one-chance robbery, with firearms, ammunition and other exhibits recovered during the operations.
Adepoju assured residents that the Command would sustain intelligence-led, proactive and community-oriented policing in collaboration with other security agencies, while urging members of the public to continue providing credible information that would assist the police in combating crime across Rivers State.
By; King Onunwor
-
News3 days agoRSG Targets Nine Million Residents in Mosquito Net Distribution Campaign
-
Oil & Energy3 days agoAiyedatiwa Signs New Electricity Bill
-
Maritime3 days agoMarine Minister Commends President Tinubu On NPERA Bill Assent
-
Oil & Energy3 days agoNLNG Commissions Research And Innovation Centre In RSU
-
News3 days agoKenPoly Holds Eight Convocations, August 29
-
News3 days agoRSG Begins Another Phase of Projects Commissioning Today
-
News3 days agoRMAFC Completes Revenue Sharing Review, Proposes New Pay
-
Maritime3 days agoNAGAFF Petitions IGP Over Alleged Maritime Police Harassment
