Connect with us

News

Boko Haram: UN, #BBOG, CAN Condemn Hauwa’s Murder …As Four Die In Adamawa Mob Attack

Published

on

The United Nations has condemned Monday’s execution of another International Committee of the Red Cross worker by Boko Haram terrorists.
The UN Secretary General, António Guterres called for the prosecution of the terrorists.
Hauwa Liman was killed after a deadline given by the terror group for government to meet its demands elapsed, on Monday.
The terror group had executed Ms Liman’s colleague, Saifura Khursa, in September, before threatening to kill Ms Liman and a third staff of the outfit, Alice Ngaddah, in October.
The three ICRC officials were kidnapped in March in an IDP camp in Rann, a community in Borno State.
The terror group promised to ‘enslave’ Ms Ngaddah and a Dapchi student kidnapped by the group in February, Leah Sharibu.
The killings have been condemned by local and international groups, across the world.
In the statement by the global body, Mr Guterres called on the Nigerian government and local authorities in the North-east to ensure the protection of humanitarian workers in the war-torn region.
The UN statement was signed by Mr Gutteres’ spokesperson, Stéphane Dujarric.
“The Secretary-General is appalled and strongly condemns the killing of an aid worker from the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) in north-east Nigeria on Monday. The aid worker, Hauwa Mohammed Liman, had been held hostage since March 2018 and was killed by her captors.
“The Secretary-General expresses his deepest condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of Ms Liman and expresses his solidarity with the President and staff of the ICRC. Those responsible for this killing must be brought to justice.
“The Secretary-General expresses his concern for the safety and well-being of the remaining hostages and calls for their immediate release.
“The Secretary-General emphasises that all parties to the conflict must protect aid workers who provide life-saving humanitarian assistance to the millions of people in need in north-east Nigeria.
In a similar reaction, the #BringBackOurGirls group joined other Nigerians in condemning the execution, describing it as an unfortunate consequence of the government’s failure.
“Today is yet another dark day in our nation. The heart-breaking news of the death of Hauwa Leman comes as an extreme shock which leaves us devastated by the deeply regrettable consequences of the Government’s failure,” the group said in a statement signed by its leaders, Edith Yassin, Nifemi Onifade and Gapani Tanya.
The #BBOG lamented what it described as government’s obvious neglect of the remaining 112 Chibok girls and called on government to ensure the safe release of the girls and Ms Sharibu.
The #BBOG staged a protest on Tuesday in Abuja to highlight its demands.
Also, the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) condemned Ms Liman’s murder. In a statement issued on Tuesday, it prayed for the repose of the victim’s soul.
“CAN prays to God to give the families of the bereaved, the leadership of the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA), their friends, colleagues, and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), the fortitude to bear the irreplaceable loss.
“May God console and comfort you all. Our heart goes with you and ask God to heal your wounds and restore sanity to our country. May those responsible for the wanton killings in the country repent and reconcile with the entire populace in Jesus’ Name.”
Meanwhile, Adamawa Police Command yesterday confirmed the killing of four travelers with four others hospitalized in an attack by some youths in Bali village of Demsa Local Government Area of Adamawa.
The Spokesman of the command, SP Othman Abubakar, who confirmed the incident, said investigation had begun to arrest the perpetrators.
Abubakar who said no arrest had been made so far called for calm and cautioned against reprisal attacks.
“We are doing everything to bring the suspects to book, there is no need for reprisal attack as two wrongs do not make a right,” Abubakar said.
Speaking on the incident, the driver of the affected truck, who identified himself as Adamu, said they left Numan on their way to Jalingo when some armed youths directed them to stop.
“I refused to stop seeing that they were armed but they chased me using motor-cycles and caught up with us near Pasham.
“I stopped and we tried to run but they caught up with me and others and started beating us before the people of Pasham came to our rescue.
“Four of my passengers were killed and some injured,” Adamu said.

Continue Reading

News

Victory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has expressed confidence that the country would win the fight against insecurity.

The President gave the assurance at the Argungu International Fishing Festival in Argungu town, Kebbi State, on Saturday.

He noted that the relative peace currently being enjoyed in Kebbi and neighbouring states was the result of sustained investments in security intelligence, coordination among security agencies, and community engagement.

Tinubu assured farmers and fishermen of sustained federal support to guarantee food security and safety across the country.

“The peace we are witnessing today is not accidental. It is the outcome of deliberate and sustained efforts. I assure you that the fight against banditry, insurgency, and insecurity will be won.

“Our farmers, fishermen, traders, and families will go about their lawful activities without fear,” he assured.

The President commended the organisers of the festival for sustaining the cultural event for decades, noting that it had endured for 83 years despite social and security challenges.

Describing the Argungu festival as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence, Tinubu stated that it reflects the richness of the country’s culture and the opportunities to harness its natural and human resources for national growth.

He said, “Today, this festival stands as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence among our people.

“It reflects the richness of our culture, the strength of our traditions, and the opportunities inherent in harnessing our natural and human resources for national development.”

The President was received by a large crowd of residents, traditional rulers, fishermen, tourists, and government officials from across the country.

The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to youth and women empowerment, irrigation development, rural electrification, and agricultural productivity.

Earlier, the Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, said his administration was determined to elevate the Argungu Fishing Festival to full international standards while pursuing aggressive development across critical sectors of the state.

Continue Reading

News

US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day

Published

on

The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.

The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.

“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.

According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.

The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.

In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.

Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.

Continue Reading

News

Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role

Published

on

United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.

Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.

The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.

“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.

The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.

Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.

The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.

In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.

“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.

Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.

He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.

Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.

 

Continue Reading

Trending