Connect with us

Nation

THE STATES

Published

on

Borno

The Borno State Government plans to import 1,000 heavy duty tractors from Pakistan to harness the agricultural potential of the state.

Governor Kashim Shettima who made this known while speaking with newsmen in Maiduguri on Sunday explained that an agreement had already been signed by the Pakistani government and the Borno state government for the supply of the tractors.

“We are just coming back from a working visit to three countries – Pakistan, Turkey and India.

 

FCT

The Norsemen Club, a youth advocacy group, on Sunday in Abuja called on the Federal Government to protect Nigerian students against potential attacks.

President of the FCT chapter of the group, Mr Segun Fakehinde, made the call in an interview with our correspondent.

He stressed that Nigerian students ought to be given adequate protection by all levels of government to forestall probable attacks on them.

“We are not happy with the incidents that recently occurred in Mubi and Port Harcourt; we are appealing to the government at all levels to recognise the fact that the future of the country lies in the hands of the youths and the majority of these youths are students.

 

Jigawa

Dabi Community in Ringim Local government Area of Jigawa has begun reconstruction of its only access road recently washed away by flood.

The Chairman of the Dabi Community Development Association, Alhaji Ali Adamu, told The Tide last Saturday in Ringim that the road was their only link to the outside world.

He said the disaster had hindered transportation and exposed the community to difficulties, pointing out that the rehabilitation of the road was being executed through communal efforts at the cost of N2 million.

He added that the flood had also crippled social and economic activities in the area and appealed to Jigawa State Government to relocate the community to a new site and empower them in view of the losses they had suffered as a result of the disaster.

 

Kano

The Nigeria Union of Journalist (NUJ) National President, Garba Mohammed, has called on the Kano State government to re-open the Triumph Newspapers Publishing Company it closed down recently for poor performance.

He made the call during the Annual Lecture/Role Model award ceremony organised by the Correspondents’ Chapel of the NUJ in Kano on Saturday.

“I want to appeal to the state government to immediately re-consider its decision and consider the general rehabilitation of the Triumph Newspapers.

 

Katsina

Katsina State government says it has constructed 832 kilometres of roads as part of its urban expansion programme aimed at laying a solid foundation for economic advancement of the state.

Governor Ibrahim Shema made this known on Sunday in Katsina when he spoke with The Tide expressed his administration’s commitment to build a legacy of quality infrastructural development to facilitate economic empowerment of the people

He stressed that road construction was an on-going and continuous exercise of the administration’s urbanisation programme.

 

Kebbi

A former Chief Judge of Kebbi State Justice Ibrahim Umar, has attributed the successes recorded in the state Judiciary in the last five years to the non-interference of the executive arm.

Umar made this known during a valedictory session organised by the state to mark his exit from the bench in Birnin Kebbi on Friday.

He retired after 24 years on the bench, including serving as chief Judge in the former Sokoto State and the present Kebbi.

The outgone chief judge said the executive and legislative arms of the government worked closely to provide enabling environment to the Judiciary to function independently.

 

Kogi

A businessman, Alhaji Abdulrazak Kutepa, has donated N10 million cash to the victims of the recent flood disaster in Kogi State.

A statement signed by Mr Jacob Edi, Special Adviser to the Governor on Media and Strategy, said that Kutepa handed over the money to Governor Idris Wada on Saturday evening at the Government House.

The statement, a copy of which was made available to The Tide on Sunday in Lokoja, said Kutepa also donated bags of rice, clothes and other materials to the victims.

Kutepa expressed sadness over the flood disaster which ravaged 457 communities in nine local government areas of the state.

 

Kwara

The Kwara State Government has so far committed the sum of N900 million into the energy sector, the state Commissioner for Energy, Alhaji Tajudeen Sulu-Oloje, has said.

He told The Tide last Sunday in Ilorin that an additional sum of N400 million was on the verge of being spent, adding that the sum had been earmarked for the construction of injection sub-station in Ilesa Baruba in Baruteen Local Government Area (LGA) of the state.

“It is an electrification project and we are now in the rainy season. But once we enter the dry season, work will commence fully on providing electricity in these communities.

 

Lagos

President, Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), Dr Nasir Fagge,  on Sunday described the incessant killings of students in some parts of the country as unfortunate and condemnable.

Fagge told our correspondent in a telephone interview in Lagos that the union was worried and sad by the development.

He said the union had directed affected institutions to investigate the incidents and that it was waiting for the outcome before taking appropriate steps.

“We have asked our members in the affected institutions to give us information but whatever it is, it is a condemnable act.

 

Nasarawa

The Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development Dr Akinwumi Adesina, has assured the country that it would not be plunged into food crisis or famine.

He gave the assurance on Saturday at the 2012 National Agriculture Show in Tudun Wada, Nasarawa State following concerns of likely food shortage as a result of flooding in the country.

He stressed that the Federal Government had resolved to set up a Flood Recovery Food Production plan to support farmers in the flood affected areas.

“We have already put in place a Flood Recovery Food Production plan to support farmers in the flood affected areas.

 

Sokoto

The Independent National Electoral Commission( INEC) has held a one-day interactive session in Sokoto on its 2012-2016 Strategic Plan meant to enhance the credibility of future elections.

The Tide reports that the session drew participants from the commission’s offices in Sokoto, Zamfara and Kebbi states.

The INEC National Commissioner in charge of the states Hajiya Amina Zakari, said the session was to gather inputs from the staff to ensure the smooth implementation of the plan.

“We want to draw from your rich store of knowledge and experience”, she said, adding that it was aimed at making the staff proud owners of the plan so as to elicit its implementation.

 

Ondo

President Goodluck Jonathan has assured that there will be free, fair and violent free governorship election in Ondo on October 20.

Jonathan gave the assurance on Saturday in Akure at a rally for the presentation of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) flag to its candidate, Chief Olusola Oke.

The President urged the people of the state to vote for the PDP to enable the party utilise the state’s abundant natural and mineral resources to enhance the well being of the people.

“We are working to make Ondo State very rich, if you vote for PDP, we will work with your governor to make you rich because you are richly blessed with agricultural and mineral resources.

 

Osun

Wife of the Speaker, Osun State House of Assembly, Mrs Muibat Salaam, was on Saturday rescued from her abductors at Ogunmakin area, along Lagos-Ibadan expressway, in Ogun.

The Tide recalled that Muibat, who is the first wife of the speaker, Mr Najeem Salaam was kidnapped on October 9 in Ejigbo area of Osun State.

The Tide reliably gathered that the rescue operation was carried out by officers of the Vigilante Service of Ogun.

The source said that the organisation acted on a tip-off and arrested three of the hoodlums who were handed over to the officers of Ogun State Police Command in Abeokuta.

Continue Reading

Nation

Youths Vow To Continue Protest Over Dilapidated Highway

Published

on

Youths from five local government areas in Northern Cross River State have concluded a one-week warning protest and blockade of the dilapidated Ikom-Wula-Obudu federal highway over the weekend.
They have vowed to resume the road blocks if by this week the authorities do not intervene to fix the road.
More than five thousand locals, mostly youths from Obanliku, Etung, Obudu, Ikom and Boki LGAs trooped out everyday for one week, used palm trees to block the highway to draw state and federal government’s attention to their plights, requesting the repair of a road has has been unmotorable for about 40 years.
They warned that if they do not see any actions from the state or federal governments, they will resume their Plan B protest, stop revenue collections and make governance unpalatable.
The youths also warned that without interventions on the road which has claimed several lives, including that of last week when a pregnant woman died with her baby in the full glare of the protesters because of the terrible road, no election can hold in the area next year.
One of the leaders of the No Road , No Election protest, who is also the Abo Youths in Boki LGA, Dr Martins Assam said both the federal and state governments have neglected the region, which generates more than 70 percent state revenue from agriculture.
He said if machinery is not deployed by next week, they will not have any option than to embark on unpalatable and disastrous protest, and stop revenue collections in the area.
“Last week we had only a warning strike for one good week. We’ll embark on a more elaborate, disastrous one-month blockade of this highway until they intervene. We call on our Governor and representatives in the National Assembly to act now by impressing on the federal government to immediately fix this road else. We’re not asking for two much but to be treated as human beings.”
Another protester, Clinton Obi from the Etung axis said, “We’ve been neglected for 40 years. This Ikom-Obudu federal highway had been impassable. The government has removed its concentration from our plights. By this one week protest, we want action on this road otherwise the next phase of protest will be costly.”
Reverend Father Francis Amaozo, priest in charge of St. Nicholas parish in Nashua, Boki LGA said, “I have also been a victim of this very deplorable road. Enough is now enough. We’ve been betrayed by our representatives and other leaders, so that we in this axis have become endangered species on this road. I have lost some many members on this road.”
Member, representing the Boki-Ikom federal constituency of the state in the House of Representatives, Bisong Victor Abang had pleaded with the locals to be a bit more patient with the government as action will commence shortly.

Continue Reading

Nation

UNIPORT VC Receives Inaugural Lecture Brochure As Professor Highlights Urgent Need For Drug Repurposing In Malaria Fight

Published

on

The Vice Chancellor of the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT), Prof Owunari Georgewill, last Thursday received the inaugural lecture brochure from the Inaugural Lecturer, Professor Udeme Georgewill, during a ceremony at the university’s Centre of Excellence attended by academics, researchers, students, and distinguished guests.
Delivering her lecture, Professor Udeme Georgewill described the occasion as the culmination of years of dedicated research, teaching, and service to humanity. He explained that his work as a pharmacologist has consistently focused on finding practical, affordable, and scientifically sound solutions to health challenges that disproportionately affect developing countries, particularly malaria, which remains one of Nigeria’s most pressing public health concerns.
She noted that Nigeria continues to bear one of the heaviest malaria burdens globally, accounting for a significant percentage of worldwide cases and deaths. The disease, largely caused by the Plasmodium falciparum parasite and transmitted through Anopheles mosquitoes, remains especially dangerous for children under five years and pregnant women, threatening not only present populations but unborn generations. Despite years of intervention efforts, malaria continues to strain families, health systems, and the national economy.
Prof Georgewill empha-sised that while Artemisinin-based Combination Therapies such as Artemether-Lumefantrine remain the gold standard for malaria treatment, emerging resistance patterns pose a serious challenge. He explained that drug resistance is a survival mechanism of the parasite, enabling it to adapt and reduce the effectiveness of medications designed to eliminate it. According to her, instances where patients do not feel better after initial treatment sometimes lead to repeated dosing or the search for injectable alternatives, practices that can worsen resistance and complicate treatment outcomes.
Against this backdrop, she advocated strongly for drug repurposing as a strategic and urgent response. Drug repurposing, he explained, involves identifying new therapeutic uses for already approved and widely available medications. He likened the concept to “old wine in new wineskins,” stressing that medicines already proven safe for certain conditions can be carefully re-evaluated and optimised for new roles in malaria management. This approach, she argued, offers advantages such as reduced research timelines, lower development costs, and faster clinical application compared to developing entirely new drugs from scratch.
She disclosed that her research had progressed from laboratory investigations to clinical evaluations, where his team is studying combinations involving Artemether-Lumefantrine and Ivermectin to determine their effectiveness in improving treatment outcomes and possibly reducing transmission. Clinical trials are ongoing, and findings will be communicated upon completion of regulatory processes. However, he cautioned strongly against self-medication, warning that misuse of drugs without proper diagnosis and prescription can lead to organ damage, treatment failure, and increased resistance.
Referencing global health commitments, Prof Georgewill highlighted Sustainable Development Goal 3.3, which seeks to end epidemics of malaria and other major infectious diseases by 2030. She questioned whether the goal remains attainable under current realities, especially with growing resistance and funding gaps. He also referred to strategies of the World Health Organisation aimed at drastically reducing malaria incidence and mortality while pushing toward elimination in several countries.
Looking ahead, she revealed that her team is building comprehensive research databases to support artificial intelligence-driven drug repurposing. He stressed that the integration of artificial intelligence, molecular docking, and advanced screening technologies is transforming global drug discovery, and Nigerian researchers must be equipped to participate competitively in this evolving scientific landscape.
In her recommendations, she called for the establishment of a National Centre for Drug Repurposing to coordinate research efforts and leverage artificial intelligence in identifying new indications for existing medicines. He urged policymakers to simplify and accelerate the translation of laboratory discoveries into clinical application, ensuring that scientific breakthroughs benefit the public more efficiently. She also appealed to the university and relevant authorities to increase funding and modernise laboratory infrastructure, including high-throughput screening facilities, to strengthen Nigeria’s position in global biomedical research.
The lecture concluded with expressions of gratitude to God, the university leadership, colleagues, students, and guests, as the event underscored the University of Port Harcourt’s commitment to research excellence and its role in addressing critical public health challenges facing Nigeria and the wider world.

Continue Reading

Nation

Niger CAN Rejects Proposed Hisbah Bill, Urges Gov Bago Not To Assent

Published

on

The Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, Niger State Chapter, has rejected the proposed Niger State Hisbah Directorates Bill, describing it as controversial and capable of deepening religious division in the state.
In a statement signed by the State Chairman, Bishop Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, and made available to The Tide’s source yesterday, the association urged Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago not to assent to the bill if it is passed by the State House of Assembly.
The bill, sponsored by the member representing Chanchaga Constituency, Hon. Mohammed Abubakar, seeks to establish a Hisbah Directorate in Niger State.
CAN warned that the legislation could be perceived as discriminatory against Christians and may heighten tension in the religiously diverse state.
“Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago, we, the entire Christendom in the state, wish to draw your attention to what could easily create division among the people you govern,” the statement read in part.
The association questioned the necessity and benefits of the proposed law, asking what economic or social value it would add to the state.
It further argued that existing security agencies, including the Nigeria Police and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, already have constitutional mandates to maintain law and order.
The Christian body also faulted the legislative process, disputing claims that it was consulted during a public hearing on the bill.
It insisted that it was neither invited nor notified of any such engagement, despite being a critical stakeholder in the state.

Continue Reading

Trending