News
Shell Sells Stakes In N’Delta Oil Leases
The Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria Limited (SPDC), a subsidiary of Royal Dutch Shell Plc (Shell), Wednesday completed the assignment of its 30 per cent interest in two oil mining leases and related facilities in the Niger Delta. Total cash proceeds for SPDC amount to some $488million.
These divestments are part of Shell’s strategy of refocusing its onshore interests in Nigeria and in line with the Federal Government’s aim of developing Nigerian companies in the country’s upstream oil and gas business.
“As we refocus our portfolio we are strengthening our position for the future,” said Peter Voser, Chief Executive Officer of Royal Dutch Shell plc, adding that, “the improvement in the security situation in the Niger Delta coupled with continued progress on key projects provides the foundation for further investment and growth.”
Shell has been in Nigeria for more than 50 years and remains committed to keeping a long-term presence there both onshore and offshore. Through SPDC and its other Nigerian companies, it responsibly produces the oil and gas needed to fuel the economic and industrial growth that generates wealth for the nation and jobs for Nigerians.
A statement yesterday, signed by Tony Okonedo, Shell’s corporate media relations manager quoted the Chairman, Shell Companies in Nigeria, Mutiu Sunmonu, as saying that, “SPDC is re-positioning for growth,” stressing that, “in focusing its operations, SPDC is set to continue its role at the forefront of Nigeria’s oil and gas industry development.”
According to the SPDC managing director, with the support of the Nigerian government and other partners, SPDC will continue to look for investment and growth opportunities while supporting the aspirations of the nation and the Nigerian people.
Oil Mining Lease 26 was assigned to the Nigerian company FHN26 Limited, an affiliate of Afren plc, for $98 million (SPDC share).
Oil Mining Lease 26 covers an area of some 480 square kilometres and is currently producing around 6,000 barrels of oil per day (100 per cent) from two fields.
Oil Mining Lease 42 was assigned to Neconde Energy Limited, a majority Nigerian-owned consortium consisting of Nestoil Group, Aries E&P Company Limited, VP Global, Kulczyk Investments and Kulczyk Oil Ventures, for some $390 million (SPDC share).
OML 42 covers an area of some 814 square kilometres and includes the Batan, Egwa, Odidi, Jones Creek fields and related facilities.
Operations had been shut down because of militant activity, but production from the Batan field resumed earlier this year and is currently producing circa 15,000 barrels of oil per day (100 per cent).
Total E&P Nigeria Limited (10 per cent) and Nigerian Agip Oil Company Limited (5 per cent) have also assigned their interests in both leases, ultimately giving the buyers a 45 per cent interest.
All approvals have been received from the relevant authorities of the Federal Government and the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation.
News
HYPREP Tightens Security At Project Sites
Following the rupture of the ground tank of its water facility in Ebubu Community in Eleme Local Government Area of Rivers State, the Hydrocarbon Pollution Remediation Project (HYPREP) has tightened security across all its project sites in Ogoniland.
HYPREP, which dropped this hint in a statement signed by its Head of Communications, Dr Enuolare Mba-Nwigoh, said the Project Coordinator, Prof Nenibarini Zabbey had given the directive for security to be tightened across all its project sites in Ogoniland.
Mba-Nwigoh noted that the tightening of security across the project sites has become necessary to forestall interference with the facilities.
He further disclosed that following the rupture of the ground tank of the Ebubu water facility, a team led by HYPREP’s Director of Technical Services, Prof Damian-Paul Aguiyi has visited the scene of the incident to assess the situation, stressing that the water facility has been cordoned off for public safety.
The statement indicated that following the incident, HYPREP has henceforth barred non-project personnel and non-facility staff from gaining access into any of its active project sites in Ogoniland without authorisation.
While appealing to residents of Ebubu Community and the public to remain calm, the Head of Communications assured them that the Project is taking prompt steps to restore water to the community, saying, the cause of the unfortunate incident is being investigated.
He equally noted that the Chief Security Officer of HYPREP has been directed to immediately tighten security across all its project sites in Ogoniland.
The statement said HYPREP is deeply concerned about the incident, stressing that despite the setback, the Project reiterates its commitment to delivering sustainable cleanup in Ogoniland.
News
198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class
News
Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council trains tra 1,000 teachers
-
Niger Delta3 days agoBayelsa’s Aircraft Makes Inaugural Flight…As Lawmakers, Oil Minister, NDDC’S MD Hail Diri
-
Nation2 hours ago
Hausa Community Lauds Council Boss Over Free Medical Outreach
-
Rivers2 hours ago
UNIPORT Moves To Tackle Insecurity … Inducts Security Experts
-
Nation2 hours ago
Film Festival: Don, Others Urge Govt To Partner RIFF
-
Nation2 hours ago
Association Hails Rivers LG Chairmen, Urges Expansion Of Dev Projects
-
Nation2 hours agoOgoni Power Project: HYPREP Moves To Boost Capacity Of Personnel
-
Nation2 hours ago
Foundation Gives Scholarship, Working Materials To Pupils
-
Nation2 hours ago
CDC Chairman, Youth Leader Hail Monarch Over Wrestling Festival Success
