Connect with us

News

Terrorism: Military Set To Prosecute 886 B’Haram Fighters … Rescue 180 Chibok Girls As Over 82, 237 Surrender In 15 Months

Published

on

The Nigerian military said it has concluded arrangement to prosecute over 886, radical fighters of the Boko Haram terrorists group as the counter insurgency war has continued to yield very positive result in its renewed operations to wipe out terrorism in the country.
This is just as another 323, terrorists ex-combatants who willingly give up their arms to embrace peace are currently undergoing the Federal government program on De-Radicalisation, Demobilisation and Rehabilitation (DDR), in Gombe State.
Theatre Commander, North East Joint Operation, HADIN KAI, Major General Christopher Musa, who made this known, said over 82, 237 terrorist’s and their families have so far surrendered to troops in various locations in the north east since July, 2021.
Musa, who described the 886 detained Boko Haram terrorists as “hardened”, said arrangements have been concluded to transfer them to Giwa Project at Kainji, in Niger State, for prosecution.
He also said total 180 out of the 276, kidnapped Chibok school girls in 2014, have been rescued while 96 of the girls are still unaccounted for, adding that soldiers have so far rescued 2,018 abducted persons, comprising 339 adult males, 660 adult females and 1,019 children in last one the year.
Theatre commander spoke through the Acting Theatre Intelligence Coordinator, Colonel Obinna Azuike, while briefing journalists on the successes so far recorded in the ongoing counter insurgency operations.
He said a total of 1,893, terrorists are currently being detained at the Giwa Centre.
According to him, “Out of the surrendered persons, 16,577 were active male fighters, 24,499 are women, while 41,161 are children.
He said so far over 2,018 abducted persons, comprising 339 adult males, 660 adult females and 1,019 children have been rescued by troops in last one the year.
He said, “Information obtained from detailed debriefings of the surrendered terrorists are being continually factored into the operations of the theatre. Such debriefings are routinely undertaken as more fighters continue to surrender in their numbers.
“Also, the commencement of a comprehensive Disarmament, De-radicalisation, Rehabilitation and Reintegration programme by the Borno State Government, in conjunction with International Organisations and Op Safe Corridor, will positively encourage the surrender of more persons and will be a catalyst to the ongoing peace process.”
Giving an update of the number of the kidnapped school girls from Government Secondary School,Chibok, so far rescued by soldiers, the theatre commander said: “Troops of OPHK have within this year alone, rescued 11 of the abducted 2014 GGSS,Chibok girls. The first of the girls, Hauwa Joseph, was intercepted along with her child at Ngazua in Bama on June 12, 20 22 by troops of OPHK.
“Secondly, Miss Mary Dauda was rescued along with her child at Gava in Gwoza LGA of Borno State on June 14, 2022, by own troops.
“Similarly, on June 27, 20 22, the third Chibok girl, named Ruth Bitrus, and her child escaped from Ukuba BHT camp in Sambisa and was rescued by own troops in Bama.
Continuing, Musa, said “On July 25, 2022, troops also rescued two Chibok girls, named Kauna Luka, and Hanatu Musa with their children at Aulari in Bama general area.
“Also, the sixth Chibok girl, named Aisha Grema (pregnant) with her four year-old child, was rescued by troops in Bama on August 12, 20 22. Aisha Grema hails from Mbalala village in Chibok LGA.
“The seventh Chibok girl to be rescued this year was FalmataLawal and her child who was rescued by own troops in Bama general area on August 30, 2022. Miss FalmataLawal hails from Chigi village in Chibok LGA.
He said, “On September 1, 2022, troops also rescued Miss Asabe Ali and her child who escaped from a BHT camp in Gazuwa, Bama LGSA.
“Also, the ninth Chibok girl rescued was Miss Jinkai Yama along with three of her children in Bama on September 2, 2022.
“Additionally, Miss Yana Pogu was the tenth girl rescued along with her four children, while Miss Rejoice Senki was rescued with her two children”.
He said “The rescued girls were handed over to the Borno State Government after comprehensive medical examination and initial provision of psycho-social support from the theatre.
“The statistics of the 276 abducted Chibokschool girls indicates that 57 girls escaped in 2014, 107 girls released in 2018; three recovered in 2019; two recovered in 2021 and 11 girls rescued so far in 2022.”
He said “This brings to a total 180 Chibok girls out of captivity, remaining 96 girls still unaccounted for. At present, over 2,018 persons, comprising 339 adult males, 660 adult females and 1,019 children have been rescued from terrorists’ captivity within the year.
“The Theatre Command OPHK will continue in its quest to rescue other persons held in captivity.
“Additionally, the centre is currently partnering with the Lake Chad Basin Support Programme to establish a database for the preservation of battlefield evidence, forensic investigations, and capacity building for personnel.
“This would address the inherent challenges associated with the prosecution of suspected terrorists. Also, the centre has introduced basic education and skill acquisition programmes for minors and adult detainees in a bid to keep them engaged, useful and valued.
“Physical training exercises and the ability to re-establish and restore family links with their loved ones is also being conducted in the centre, in conjunction with the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC).
“These developments have yielded very positive results among the suspects and equally attracted commendations from other partnering organisations.”
Speaking on the humanitarian conditions at the holding centres, he said, “The current humanitarian situation across the holding centres has remained relatively calm since the cholera outbreak of September this year.
“The epidemic resulted in the death of 62 men, 44 women and 96 children, bringing to a total of 202 deaths.
“Nevertheless, the situation has since been brought under control, with efforts from the state Ministry of Health and several NGOs in the state”.

Continue Reading

News

Victory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has expressed confidence that the country would win the fight against insecurity.

The President gave the assurance at the Argungu International Fishing Festival in Argungu town, Kebbi State, on Saturday.

He noted that the relative peace currently being enjoyed in Kebbi and neighbouring states was the result of sustained investments in security intelligence, coordination among security agencies, and community engagement.

Tinubu assured farmers and fishermen of sustained federal support to guarantee food security and safety across the country.

“The peace we are witnessing today is not accidental. It is the outcome of deliberate and sustained efforts. I assure you that the fight against banditry, insurgency, and insecurity will be won.

“Our farmers, fishermen, traders, and families will go about their lawful activities without fear,” he assured.

The President commended the organisers of the festival for sustaining the cultural event for decades, noting that it had endured for 83 years despite social and security challenges.

Describing the Argungu festival as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence, Tinubu stated that it reflects the richness of the country’s culture and the opportunities to harness its natural and human resources for national growth.

He said, “Today, this festival stands as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence among our people.

“It reflects the richness of our culture, the strength of our traditions, and the opportunities inherent in harnessing our natural and human resources for national development.”

The President was received by a large crowd of residents, traditional rulers, fishermen, tourists, and government officials from across the country.

The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to youth and women empowerment, irrigation development, rural electrification, and agricultural productivity.

Earlier, the Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, said his administration was determined to elevate the Argungu Fishing Festival to full international standards while pursuing aggressive development across critical sectors of the state.

Continue Reading

News

US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day

Published

on

The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.

The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.

“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.

According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.

The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.

In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.

Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.

Continue Reading

News

Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role

Published

on

United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.

Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.

The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.

“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.

The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.

Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.

The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.

In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.

“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.

Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.

He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.

Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.

 

Continue Reading

Trending