News
Fire Razes Storey Building In Rivers
A devastating inferno has razed a storey building in the Rumuodara area of Obio/Akpor Local Government Area of Rivers State, destroying valuables and personal documents worth billions of Naira.
The fire, which swept through #4 (8) Bakery Close, off Onukem Avenue, by Shandee’s, in Rumuodara, was ignited around 8pm, on May 5, a day after the world marked the 2022 International Firefighters’ Day, set aside to recognise and honour the sacrifices, commitments and dedication firefighters make to ensure their communities are safe.
The fire, which lasted for more than five hours, took the intervention of firefighters from the Federal Fire Service and thousands of volunteers and neighbours to put out.
However, the fire destroyed every household valuable as well as personal documents and effects in the building, including primary, secondary and university certificates; birth certificates; property and bank documents; international passports; employments documents; among others.
Personnel of the Federal Fire Service, who responded to distress calls from various individuals, arrived the scene more than one hour after the fire had started.
The firefighters, who came to the scene with water, without any support chemicals, battled the fire, until suddenly, heavy rains began pouring down, and helped neutralise the inferno.
The Rivers State Police Command’s Okporo Police Station also deployed a team of combat operatives to give cover to the firefighters and other volunteers, who helped salvage the remaining property outside the building, especially the three vehicles left at the car park in front of the building.

The owner of the building, Engr Callistus Anieheobi, a staff of Chevron Nigeria Limited, who spoke to The Tide, said he had gone to a lounge about seven minutes away from the house along with his wife to join a friend who was celebrating 16 years marriage anniversary.
Anieheobi said that less than 25minutes after they arrived the venue of the meeting on Okporo Road, his house-helps called to raise the alarm that fire was already ravaging his building.
He said that on arrival at his gate, he saw thousands of neighbours, sympathisers and volunteers with buckets of water and fire extinguishers battling to put out the fire while others were struggling to lift his cars out of the compound to avoid escalation of the fire.
Anieheobi, who was left with only a pair of trouser, shirt and shoes he was wearing, said that by the time he came back with his wife, everything in the house had been razed.
He said that his attempt to rush into the building to recover their sensitive documents and valuables was forcefully rebuffed by the raging inferno, heat and billowing smoke, which forced the roof to cave in to the main sitting room and razed everything on its way, including the dining area on the ground floor.
He noted that the fire may have been triggered by electrical fault in the CCTV Controller, explaining that before leaving the house, the air conditioner in the master’s bedroom had been switched on while his children had been asked to go downstairs to take their dinner before going to bed in the same room, where the fire started from.
He thanked everyone who rendered one form of help or the other during his trying moment, including the Federal Fire Service, police and residents around the area.
Also speaking, Dr Chidinma Anieheobi, thanked God for saving the life of her children and her mother, who were downstairs having their dinner when the fire ignited.
Chidinma, a staff of National Oil Spill Detection and Response Agency (NOSDRA), said that everything they had worked hard to acquire was completely razed by the fire, adding that the only thing left was what they were wearing.
The Tide gathered that the couple and their children, since the unfortunate incident, have been surviving with the help of friends, relatives and associates, who have provided clothing, and other gifts to support the family overcome their difficult moment.
The Tide confirmed that no casualties were recorded as a result of the fire, as all residents evacuated safely from the building before fire engulfed the entire building.
The Okporo police operatives, who interviewed the owner of the property and sympathisers, at the scene, also confirmed that no live was lost to the inferno.
When contacted, yesterday, Rivers State Police Command Spokesperson, Grace Iringe-Koko, said she was yet to be briefed on the incident.
However, Anieheobi has made written incident report before the Okporo Police Station.
By: Nelson Chukwudi
News
Victory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures
President Bola Tinubu has expressed confidence that the country would win the fight against insecurity.
The President gave the assurance at the Argungu International Fishing Festival in Argungu town, Kebbi State, on Saturday.
He noted that the relative peace currently being enjoyed in Kebbi and neighbouring states was the result of sustained investments in security intelligence, coordination among security agencies, and community engagement.
Tinubu assured farmers and fishermen of sustained federal support to guarantee food security and safety across the country.
“The peace we are witnessing today is not accidental. It is the outcome of deliberate and sustained efforts. I assure you that the fight against banditry, insurgency, and insecurity will be won.
“Our farmers, fishermen, traders, and families will go about their lawful activities without fear,” he assured.
The President commended the organisers of the festival for sustaining the cultural event for decades, noting that it had endured for 83 years despite social and security challenges.
Describing the Argungu festival as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence, Tinubu stated that it reflects the richness of the country’s culture and the opportunities to harness its natural and human resources for national growth.
He said, “Today, this festival stands as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence among our people.
“It reflects the richness of our culture, the strength of our traditions, and the opportunities inherent in harnessing our natural and human resources for national development.”
The President was received by a large crowd of residents, traditional rulers, fishermen, tourists, and government officials from across the country.
The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to youth and women empowerment, irrigation development, rural electrification, and agricultural productivity.
Earlier, the Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, said his administration was determined to elevate the Argungu Fishing Festival to full international standards while pursuing aggressive development across critical sectors of the state.
News
US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day
The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.
The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.
“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.
According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.
The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.
In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.
Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.
News
Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role
United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.
Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.
The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.
“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.
The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.
Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.
The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.
In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.
“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.
Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.
He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.
Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.
-
Sports2 days ago2026 WC: Nigeria, DR Congo Awaits FIFA Verdict Today
-
Environment2 days agoOxfam, partners celebrate 5 years of climate governance programmes in Nigeria
-
Politics2 days ago
ADC, PDP, LP Missing As INEC Set For By- Elections In Rivers
-
Politics2 days ago
FG’s Economic Policies Not Working – APC Chieftain
-
Politics2 days ago2027: Diri Unveils RHA LG Coordinators, APC Congress Panel
-
Politics2 days agoReps To Meet,’Morrow Over INEC’s 2027 Election Timetable
-
Politics2 days agoGroup Continues Push For Real Time Election Results Transmission
-
Sports2 days ago
Sunderland Overcome Oxford Challenge
