Connect with us

Niger Delta

COVID-19: Bayelsa Confirms Nine New Cases, Records First Death.

Published

on

The Bayelsa state Taskforce on the novel  Covid-19 pandemic says it has recorded Nine new confirmed cases in the state.

A press release reaching The Tide on Monday in Yenagoa from the state Covid-19 Taskforce has it that the new cases confirmed during the week in the state were part of the 307 new confirmed cases announced by the NCDC.

Deputy chairman of the state Covid-19 Taskforce and permanent Secretary of the state’s Ministry of Health, Dr  Inodu Apoku in the release summarized the status of the state’s fight against the novel virus as follows.

” In its usual manner the NCDC announced 307 new confirmed COVID -19 cases. Nine of these cases were samples from Bayelsa. These results are coming from a backlog of 62 samples sent to the UPTH COVID -19 laboratory last week in Port Harcourt”, he said.

” These nine newly confirmed cases bring the total number of confirmed cases in the State to 21. Six of out of these nine cases are contacts of previously confirmed cases while three are not epidemiologically linked to any of the previous confirmed cases.Two of these fresh unlinked cases are critically ill and were on admission in our public Hospitals for other underlying illnesses.One had undergone sessions of dialysis even before samples were collected for COVID -19 testing at the instances of the consulting teams in collaboration with the State COVID -19 Rapid Response Team. The third unlinked case is a Health Care Professional”, he added.

According to the Taskforce, all nine new cases have since been evacuated for further treatment at the state’s Isolation facilities.saying all their contacts are being line listed and adequately followed up including necessary environmental decontamination.

Apoku hinted that Samples have  been collected from their high -risk contacts while they have all been counselled on self-quarantine,just as risk communication and community engagement are ongoing.

He stated that three cases were discharged during the past week,while One case was discharged on Saturday,harping that the two other cases including the doctor were discharged Sunday after all their repeat tests returned negative and patients’ clinical statuses had met other criteria for discharge.

Apoku noted that with the latest number of  discharges carried out by the Taskforce in the state Isolation facilities,total number of Covid-19 cases so far discharged by the state now totals nine while
the state still has eleven active cases,reiterating that all cases except the two cases who were previously on admission for other underlying illness are in stable clinical conditions.

The Taskforce while reiterating its commitment towards maintaining tempo in the War against the spread of the virus however regretted that they recorded their first death,noting that prior to the unfortunate demise of the Covid-19 patient he was responding to treatment.

“We recorded a death last week. The patient who was initially responding to treatment suddenly developed severe shortness of breath. All attempts to salvage him proved abortive even with the intensive and delicate procedures that were administered by the attending medical personnel. He has since been buried by the Bayelsa State COVID -19 Safe Burial team and witnessed by relatives, friends, and colleagues”,the taskforce noted.

The Deputy chairman restated the resolve of State Public Emergency Operations Centre,the COVID -19 Situation and War rooms of the State response as well as the State COVID -19 Task Force to remain on response mode, saying they will be doing their best to contain and mitigate the impact of the pandemic.

“We now use the UPTH Port Harcourt Reference COVID -19 Laboratory. In the past weeks, we have been sending an average of 25 samples daily to this facility. Most of these samples are contacts of confirmed cases. Little wonder our positive figures seem to be on the increase. This is because of our robust survelliance activities and improved testing rates”, Apoku added.

The taskforce expressed its appreciation to all health care workers,especially the frontliners whom they said have been tireless in their resolve and commitment to the COVID -19 response in the State.

” patients should confide in their physicians the true case history of their ill health. We have also commenced active health facility case search for any case of Severe Acute Respiratory Infection,SARI in our hospitals to have a sentinel insight into the importation and possible community transmission of COVID -19″, the taskforce noted.

By Ariwera Ibibo-Howells, Yenagoa.

Continue Reading

Niger Delta

Oborevwori Launches Medical Outreach For Children With Special Needs

Published

on

The Wife of Delta State Governor, Mrs. Tobore Oborevwori, has launched a free medical outreach for children with special needs in Delta South.
The event, which attracted scores of caregivers, medical professionals, and government functionaries, took place at Dom Domingos College, Warri.
It was organised by the governor’s wife’s pet project, “You Matter Charity Foundation”, in partnership with the State Ministry of Health.
In a speech at the event, Oborevwori said the initiative sought to promote public awareness about autism and other notable infants’ developmental conditions.
She said the programme also aimed ”to eliminate stigma and encourage inclusion of persons living with disabilities.”
According to her, the outreach is structured to cover the state’s three senatorial districts.
She noted that the programme took place earlier in Ughelli, Delta Central, where beneficiaries received medications and assistive devices, including educational materials to support learning among children with special needs.
Oborevwori, who thanked residents and local government chairmen in Delta South for their cooperation, also commended the Commissioner for Health, Dr. Joseph Onojaeme, and medical teams for their dedication to the success of the programme.
She admonished parents and caregivers to continue to show patience, compassion, and understanding towards children with special needs.
The Tide’s source reports that health workers from the ministry and Primary Healthcare Development Agency participated in the programme.
In her remark, the Director-General of the foundation, Mrs. Lawrentta Ogbedo, said the outreach would reduce financial pressure on families that have children with special needs.
She underscored the importance of early diagnosis and consistent medical attention for such children.
The Chairman of Warri South LGA, Mr. Isaac Agbateyiniro, thanked the governor’s wife for the initiative, and described her kind intervention as ”timely and beneficial to struggling families”.
Also, the Chairman, Post Primary Education Board, Mr. Samuel Mariere, applauded the foundation’s effort in extending support to children with special needs in society.
Mariere said the programme had provided hope and practical support to many households.
The source reports that the event featured free medical consultations and treatment for children.
Also, health experts delivered talks on autism awareness, care strategies, and social acceptance.
Participants were also enlightened on the legal protections against discrimination for persons with disabilities.
Other highlights included the distribution of wheelchairs, medications, and assistive materials, among other items, to the beneficiaries.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

UniCal Commits To Nursing Education Dev In C’River 

Published

on

The Vice Chancellor, University of Calabar (UniCal), Prof. Offiong  Offiong,  has reiterated the institution’s commitment towards supporting the growth of nursing education in the state.
Offiong, who made the statement recently in Calabar when members of the Basic Nursing and Midwifery Sciences Certificate Affiliation Committee visited him in his office, said as a federal university located in Cross River State, the institution would remain committed to the development of the state and the wellbeing of its residents.
The Vice Chancellor said UniCal would strategically collaborate with the state government to ensure improved healthcare education, professional training and standards.
“I commend the state government for expanding nursing institutions, this development has stimulated youth interest in health-related careers.
“We shall revisit the affiliation process to ensure compliance with national and international academic standards,” he said.
Offiong continued that curriculum review, adequate academic staffing and strict quality assurance measures would be given priority attention in the process.
He urged the state government to provide logistics support to students undertaking clinical postings in health facilities.
Leader of the delegation, Dr. Henry Ayuk, congratulated Offiong on his appointment as the Vice Chancellor of the university.
Ayuk, who’s also the Commissioner for Health in the State, commended the university for its contributions to the growth of the health sector.
He said the Bassey Otu-led government was committed to deepening collaboration with the university in order to strengthen nursing education and healthcare delivery.
The team leader expressed optimism that the partnership would boost professional training, institutional development and healthcare outcomes in the state.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

Agency Demolishes Illegal Roadside Structures In Delta N8 by … Clears Street Traders

Published

on

The Delta State Capital Territory Development Agency has commenced the removal of illegal roadside structures and street traders across Asaba.
The enforcement drive targeted areas where traders and makeshift stalls have taken over roads, walkways and drainage channels.
Speaking during the exercise, the Director-General of the agency, Mr. Patrick Ukah, said the action was necessary due to the growing safety concerns caused by unchecked roadside trading.
Ukah said the action formed part of a broader urban renewal programme aimed at improving sanitation, reducing traffic congestion and enhancing road safety.
He noted that the activities had disrupted traffic flow and exposed motorists and pedestrians to avoidable dangers.
According to him, the agency’s action is not directed at individuals but aimed at restoring order and enforcing existing regulations.
Ukah warned that the agency would not tolerate activities that deface the capital or threaten public safety.
He reaffirmed the agency’s commitment to maintaining a clean, safe and orderly capital, saying a well-managed Asaba remains vital to the image of the state and its development.
Urging affected traders to relocate to approved government markets across the city, Ukah said the operation would continue and might be extended to other locations if violations persist.
Major locations affected include Akpu Junction, Marble Hill Junction, and the Arcade near Ogbeogonogo Market.
The Tide’s source reports that in addition to dismantling illegal structures, the agency intensified sanitation efforts along major roads.
Special attention was given to the Mammy Market and Traffic Light axis of Asaba to sustain cleanliness.
The agency’s Head of Environment, Mr. Isaac Nwosu, said the teams would ensure compliance and prevent a return of illegal roadside activities.
Nwosu called on residents and traders to support the agency by adhering to environmental regulations.
Continue Reading

Trending