Connect with us

News

Military, Boko Haram Clash Claims Four Soldiers, Seven Terrorists …Army Loses Four Trucks To Insurgents

Published

on

At least, four Nigerian soldiers and a militia fighter were killed in clashes with IS-aligned jihadists in Borno State, security sources said, yesterday.
Fighting erupted, late Saturday, when troops ambushed a convoy of the Islamic State West Africa Province near Jakana village, 42 kilometres (26 miles) from the state capital in Maiduguri.
“We lost four soldiers and a member of the vigilante group in the fighting,” a military officer said in reference to an anti-jihadist militia in the region.
“The terrorists came in large numbers and our troops fought gallantly but they were overwhelmed,” added the officer who asked not to be identified for fear of sanction.
Several troops were also injured and four trucks were lost to the militants, he said.
The jihadists were riding in pick-up trucks fitted with machine guns according to an anti-jihadist militiaman who confirmed the death toll.
In a statement issued Sunday, the Nigerian military said seven jihadists were killed and eight injured when their vehicle hit a landmine during a clash near Jakana on Friday.
The improvised explosive device had been planted by the jihadists, army spokesman Colonel Aminu Iliyasu was quoted as saying.
He called the blast a “tactical boomerang”.
Reacting to the incident, the Nigerian Army, yesterday, said seven Boko Haram militants were killed, while eight others were crippled when a Toyota Sam Sahara Model, belonging to the terrorists stepped on an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) laid by them against Nigerian Army troops at Lamba’a Forest along Jakana – Mainok Road in Borno State.
According to a statement by Nigerian Army Operations Media Coordinator, Col. Aminu Iliyasu, “The self-inflicted destruction consumed seven Boko Haram criminals while eight others suffered severe injuries. Consequently, troops have mobilised to the general area for route clearance and mop-up operation.”
The statement said, this was as a result of artillery bombardment and ground assault by troops of the Nigerian Army, which have been intensified across Operation Lafiya Dole Theatre, resulting in more Boko Haram casualties.
“This is a clear case that can be best described as a tactical boomerang. The incident happened on Friday, October 18, 2019, while some marauding Boko Haram criminal elements who were escaping the unbearable battle heat turned on them by NA troops,” the statement added.
In another development, a syndicate that specializes in the smuggling of smoked fish from the Lake Chad region for sale in some parts of Nigeria have been busted by the diligent troops of Operation Lafiya Dole.
The statement said, “Reliable information available revealed that Boko Haram criminals/Islamic State of West Africa Province (ISWAP) and their collaborators are using the fish business to finance and sustain their heinous activities.
“The proceeds from the sales are believed to be channelled into the procurement of food stuff, groceries, drugs, toiletries, vehicle spare parts and other items for the sustenance of their criminal activities.
“In a related development, troops of Sector 3 Operation Lafiya Dole, while acting on a reliable intelligence, raided the residence of some suspected illegal fish smugglers near Water Board Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) Camp in Monguno LGA of Borno State.
“Four suspects were arrested and 16 sacks of smoked fish concealed in a room were recovered.
“In a similar operation conducted by troops of Sector 2 Operation Lafiya Dole on October 10, 2019, nine vehicles loaded with illegal smoked fish consignments were equally intercepted at Bukarti in Geidam LGA of Yobe State en-route Hadejia in Jigawa State. Consequently, 18 suspects including drivers, conductors, mechanics and agents were also apprehended.
“In another development, troops deployed at a check point along Baga Road in Borno State while on Operation Positive Identification arrested one Musa Ishaku, while in possession of a fake Nigeria Customs ID card which he has been using to deceive security agencies.
“Additionally, troops of 1 Division also rescued four kidnapped students from bandits at Gurmi Village in Chikun LGA of Kaduna State after a brief fire fight with criminals.
“In Rivers State, troops of 16 Brigade Garrison (Main) raided a suspected sea pirates’ camp at Tingibibi Ogu/Bolo LGA of Rivers State. The suspected sea pirates, who obviously could not withstand the overwhelming fire power of the troops, fled the enclave in disarray. Items recovered from the camp include one AK-47 rifle magazine, five rounds of 7.62mm special ammunition, three cartridges, one binocular and three para-red rocket.
“In the same vein, troops neutralised one armed robber during an anti-robbery operation at Adipet Filling Station along Rukuba Road in Jos North LGA of Plateau State. Others were believed to have escaped with gunshot wounds.
“Similarly, following confessional statements made by an arrested notorious bandit/kidnap kingpin named Yellow, troops of 3 Brigade tracked and arrested one of his gang members, Dahiru Dogo in Falgore Forest in Kano State.
“The Chief of Army Staff, Lt-Gen Tukur Buratai wishes to reassure the general public on the resolve of the Nigerian Army to rid the society of criminal elements for a secured environment.”
Jakana lies on a 120-kilometre highway that links Maiduguri and Damaturu, the capital of Yobe State.
Jihadists have raided military bases and attacked troops and motorists along the highway in the past.

Continue Reading

News

Victory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has expressed confidence that the country would win the fight against insecurity.

The President gave the assurance at the Argungu International Fishing Festival in Argungu town, Kebbi State, on Saturday.

He noted that the relative peace currently being enjoyed in Kebbi and neighbouring states was the result of sustained investments in security intelligence, coordination among security agencies, and community engagement.

Tinubu assured farmers and fishermen of sustained federal support to guarantee food security and safety across the country.

“The peace we are witnessing today is not accidental. It is the outcome of deliberate and sustained efforts. I assure you that the fight against banditry, insurgency, and insecurity will be won.

“Our farmers, fishermen, traders, and families will go about their lawful activities without fear,” he assured.

The President commended the organisers of the festival for sustaining the cultural event for decades, noting that it had endured for 83 years despite social and security challenges.

Describing the Argungu festival as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence, Tinubu stated that it reflects the richness of the country’s culture and the opportunities to harness its natural and human resources for national growth.

He said, “Today, this festival stands as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence among our people.

“It reflects the richness of our culture, the strength of our traditions, and the opportunities inherent in harnessing our natural and human resources for national development.”

The President was received by a large crowd of residents, traditional rulers, fishermen, tourists, and government officials from across the country.

The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to youth and women empowerment, irrigation development, rural electrification, and agricultural productivity.

Earlier, the Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, said his administration was determined to elevate the Argungu Fishing Festival to full international standards while pursuing aggressive development across critical sectors of the state.

Continue Reading

News

US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day

Published

on

The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.

The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.

“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.

According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.

The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.

In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.

Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.

Continue Reading

News

Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role

Published

on

United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.

Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.

The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.

“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.

The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.

Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.

The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.

In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.

“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.

Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.

He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.

Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.

 

Continue Reading

Trending