Connect with us

News

Guber Tribunal: Wike Opens Defence On AAC’s Petition

Published

on

The Rivers State Governor, Chief Nyesom Wike, yesterday, opened defence on the election petition filed by African Action Congress (AAC) and its gubernatorial candidate, Engineer Biokpomabo Awara before the Rivers State Governorship Election Petitions Tribunal in Port Harcourt.
Appearing as a witness for Wike at the Rivers State Governorship Election Tribunal, yesterday, the former Nigerian Ambassador to South Korea and Director General of Rivers State PDP Campaign Council, Amb Desmond Akawor told the tribunal that the March 9, 2019 Governorship Election was conducted peacefully and in compliance with the Electoral Act and INEC guidelines across the polling units of the state.
Akawor said that Wike emerged victorious after the peaceful voting that took place across the state.
He said the Governorship Election was concluded across the polling units, results announced and collation done in the wards and local government areas.
The DG said that INEC only suspended the final collation after soldiers unleashed violence and attempted to hijack the process.
He spoke during cross examination by counsel to the Rivers State Governor, Emmanuel Ukala (SAN) and counsel to PDP, Godwin Obla (SAN).
The Rivers State Governorship Election Tribunal has adjourned to September 30, 2019 for adoption of written addresses by all parties involved in the matter.
Akawor tendered certified copy of Form EC8E, which is the declaration of the Governorship Election result, and also tendered the Certificate of Return issued to Wike.
The envoy also tendered certified polling units results from across Rivers State issued to polling agents during the March 9, 2019 Governorship election.
He further tendered Form EC8A containing Governorship Election Results from 16 local government areas and 129 wards.
Akawor told the Rivers State Governorship Election Tribunal that before INEC suspended the collation of results due to the interference by the Army, collation had been completed in 17 local government areas.
He referred the tribunal to Paragraph 12vi of the press release of INEC of 10th and 15 March, 2019.
He further tendered the affidavit of former deputy governorship candidate of AAC, Chief Akpo Bomba Yeeh denouncing the party and declaring that Nyesom Wike won the election.
Earlier, at the resumed hearing of the tribunal, last Wednesday, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), tendered some documents to the court and announced its close of defence on the petition with no witness presented for cross examination.
Counsel for INEC, Steve Adeyi (SAN) had told the court that haven examined all evidence brought by the petitioner that there was no allegation made against it, hence the decision to close its case with no witness for defence.
However, after acknowledging the documents, the three man tribunal led by Justice Kingsley Ojiakor adjourned till yesterday for the 2nd respondent (Governor Wike) to open defence.
Speaking with newsmen at the court premises, INEC counsel, Steve Adeyi (SAN) noted that the commission has closed its case in the petition.
He said “What we did was not to waste the time of the court. We have examined all the evidence brought by the petitioner and our defence view that they have not made up case for us to answer.
“Like I said, not to waste the time of the court we decided to close up our case today”.
On his part, counsel for the 1st petitioner (Awara Biokpomabo), Emenike Ebete, said “This morning, the Independent National Electoral Commission was to present their witnesses to open their case. After yesterday (Tuesday) proceedings, it was their turn to open their case today (Wednesday) and we came to court, the INEC lawyer, after tendering some documents, announced to the court that he did not intend to call any witness and that they have closed their case”.
He said that, “It is his case, if he says he does not want to bring any witness to prove his case, we are okay.
Also speaking, co-counsel for Governor Wike, Dike Udenna, explained that “INEC is on top of its own game, it has looked at the evidence against it, and then come to the conclusion that there is really nothing against it, so, there is no point calling witnesses to deny when there is no allegation made against it.
“I think they are within their right to make that decision not to call witnesses, and there is nothing wrong with that, it is permissible under the law”.
He noted that, “The case has now been adjourned till Thursday for 2nd respondent that is Governor Nyesom Wike to open his own defence”.

Continue Reading

News

Victory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has expressed confidence that the country would win the fight against insecurity.

The President gave the assurance at the Argungu International Fishing Festival in Argungu town, Kebbi State, on Saturday.

He noted that the relative peace currently being enjoyed in Kebbi and neighbouring states was the result of sustained investments in security intelligence, coordination among security agencies, and community engagement.

Tinubu assured farmers and fishermen of sustained federal support to guarantee food security and safety across the country.

“The peace we are witnessing today is not accidental. It is the outcome of deliberate and sustained efforts. I assure you that the fight against banditry, insurgency, and insecurity will be won.

“Our farmers, fishermen, traders, and families will go about their lawful activities without fear,” he assured.

The President commended the organisers of the festival for sustaining the cultural event for decades, noting that it had endured for 83 years despite social and security challenges.

Describing the Argungu festival as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence, Tinubu stated that it reflects the richness of the country’s culture and the opportunities to harness its natural and human resources for national growth.

He said, “Today, this festival stands as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence among our people.

“It reflects the richness of our culture, the strength of our traditions, and the opportunities inherent in harnessing our natural and human resources for national development.”

The President was received by a large crowd of residents, traditional rulers, fishermen, tourists, and government officials from across the country.

The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to youth and women empowerment, irrigation development, rural electrification, and agricultural productivity.

Earlier, the Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, said his administration was determined to elevate the Argungu Fishing Festival to full international standards while pursuing aggressive development across critical sectors of the state.

Continue Reading

News

US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day

Published

on

The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.

The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.

“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.

According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.

The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.

In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.

Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.

Continue Reading

News

Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role

Published

on

United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.

Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.

The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.

“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.

The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.

Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.

The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.

In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.

“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.

Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.

He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.

Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.

 

Continue Reading

Trending