News
Court Dissolves 40-Year Marriage Over Sex
A housewife and mother of eight, Mrs. Halimatu, has lost her 40-year marriage for starving her husband of sex.
A Customary Court in Lagos yesterday, granted the husband, MrGaniyu, his request for dissolution of the marriage.
Our correspondent reports that the plaintiff, an Islamic cleric, had earlier filed for divorce on the grounds that his wife had denied him sex.
“My wife, who sleeps, eats my food and drinks my water, has been starving me of sex for 16 years now.
“She will not even allow me to touch or make love to her,’’ he said.
According to the 59-year-old man, his marriage to Halimatu has been turbulent and fraught with fights and quarrels.
He explained that this did not allow him to have peace of mind.
The petitioner alleged that his wife had, at a time, threatened to kill him.
He said, “Another cleric who lives with me told me that my wife was after my life; that she gave him charms to put in my food.
“There was a day she wanted to stab me with a broken bottle but for the quick intervention of my friend who entered at that time and collected the bottle from her.”
The husband further alleged that his wife turned their children against him, alleging that she once ordered their firstborn to beat him up.
“My son beat me up mercilessly and tore my clothes, with my wife’s consent,’’ he said.
The plaintiff said that his wife, Halimatu, gave out their daughters in marriage without his knowledge and consent, saying that he had never met any of his sons-in-law.
He said that his wife was after the property he inherited from his late father.
“My father’s property belongs to me alone. My wife and children cannot inherit my father’s property but can only inherit my own property.
“My wife is fighting to take over my father’s property from me, claiming it belongs to her and the children.
“I later bought land in her name so that she and the children can have that as their inheritance; but she went to the landowners, begging them to sell the land and give her the money,’’ he said.
News
198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class
News
Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council trains tra 1,000 teachers
News
RSG INAUGURATES ARMED FORCES REMEMBRANCE DAY COMMITTEE
The Rivers State Government has inaugurated a Central Planning Committee to organize the celebration of the 2026 Armed Forces Remembrance Day (AFRD) in the State.
The committee was formally inaugurated by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Benibo Anabraba in Port Harcourt, last Thursday.
Dr Anabraba who also serves as Chairman of the Committee
highlighted the State Government’s deep appreciation for the sacrifices of Nigeria’s fallen heroes who laid down their lives for the nation’s peace and unity.
“These heroes have given their lives for the security and peace of our nation and deserve to be celebrated. The Armed Forces Remembrance Day is an opportunity to show our gratitude for their sacrifice,” he said.
Dr. Anabraba further extended recognition to all Security Agencies in the State, emphasizing the importance of the event in appreciating their contributions to national security and sovereignty.
The annual Armed Forces Remembrance Day, observed on January 15 across the country is dedicated to remember Nigeria’s departed soldiers and honouring the nation’s veterans.
