Connect with us

Politics

86 Political Parties Back Wike …Sure Of Gov’s Victory

Published

on

No fewer than 86 political parties, on Friday, conceded defeat to the Rivers State Governor, Chief Nyesom Wike, in the 2019 Gubernatorial Election held in last month.
The Chairman of the Inter-Party Advisory Council (IPAC), Sir Precious Baridoo, who led leaders of the parties on a solidarity visit to the Rivers State Governor, Chief Nyesom Wike in Government House, Port Harcourt, said from results at their disposal from their polling agents, Wike won the Governorship election.
They congratulated Wike and indicated their interest to participate in his victory party.
IPAC condemned the letter by some APC elders to President Muhammadu Buhari to interfere in the Governorship
Election of Rivers State, describing it as mischief.
They demanded from the APC elders to publicly apologise to Rivers people for their ungodly political mischief and also warned security agencies against further steps to subvert the will of Rivers people.
Responding, Governor Wike declared that when PDP is declared winner of the March 9 gubernatorial election, he will operate a unity government.
” If we are declared winner of the election, we will operate a government of unity. We will rally everybody together in the interest of the state “, he said and urged people of the state to remain patient and allow INEC to carry out their responsibilities of collating and declaring the election results.
Governor Wike paid a condolence visit to the family of the late oil mogul, High Chief O. B Lulu Briggs in Port Harcourt on Saturday.
He eulogised the deceased, describing him as a philanthropist who used his personal wealth to bless less privileged in the society, and one who made quality contributions to the development of the state.
He said in 2014/2015 when he consulted late Lulu Briggs in his quest to govern the state, the late Chief supported his development blueprint.
He urged the family members to work hard to maintain the legacy of the late elder statesman , promising that the state government would participate actively in his burial.
Daughter of late Lulu Briggs, Mrs Solate Ovunda Akarolo thanked the governor for the honour .
Wike on same Saturday inspected some ongoing projects in both Obio/Akpor and Port Harcourt Local Government Areas.
The projects inspected were the Mile 1 Market, the Port Harcourt Fruit Garden Market and the Judges Quarters.
Wike, who spoke to journalists after the inspection said he would increase the tempo of projects delivery during his second term.
Personalities who accompanied the Governor during the inspection included a Former Deputy Governor in the state, Engr Tele Ikuru, former Deputy Speaker of House of Representatives, Rt Hon Austin Okpara, Former Minister of Sports, Dr Tammy Danagogo , Former Minister of Transportation, Dr Abiye Sekibo , Senator Lee ,Maeba, Senator Olaka Nwogu, Prince Emmanuel Anyanwu, PDP Chairman in the state, Bro Felix Obuah amongst others.
Another major event in Brick House, last week was the visit of the Nigerian Army Investigative Committee On Election Violence to Governor Wike on Friday.
Wike made visual and pictorial presentations of military interference during the election.
He explained that election took place in polling units across the state except in Abua/Odual local Government Area.
He emphased that challenge came during the collation as Army invaded collation centres and carted away Form EC 8C for Governorship election and Form EC 8b1 for the House of Assembly elections.
He declared that the negative roles played by the Nigerian Army during the 2019 election is the worst in the history of the country.
He formally requested for the deployment of GOC 6 Division, Major General Jamil Sarhem for subverting the general election in Rivers State.
The investigative committee was led by its chairman, Major General Ayibakuro Gagariga.

Continue Reading

Politics

FG’s Economic Policies Not Working – APC Chieftain

Published

on

A senator who represented Taraba Central, Mr Abubakar Yusuf, has declared that the economic policies of President Bola Tinubu are not yielding the expected results.
His comment is one of the strongest internal critiques yet from within the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).
The comment underscores the growing dissatisfaction within sections of the ruling party over the direction and impact of the administration’s economic reforms amid rising living costs and fiscal pressures across the country.
Mr Yusuf, who served in the Senate between 2015 and 2023 under the platform of the APC, made the remarks during an appearance on national television.
Responding to a question on whether the administration’s economic direction, often referred to as Tinubunomics, was working, Mr Yusuf answered in the contrary.
“For me, it is not working. I am a member of the APC. I would be the last person to hide the facts”, he said.
He said while the government might be operating diligently within its policy structure, the framework itself is ill-suited to Nigeria’s current realities
“Within the policy framework, yes, they are doing their best, but it is not the framework that is suitable for Nigeria at the point in time that President Asiwaju came into power,” he said.
Mr Yusuf criticised the immediate removal of fuel subsidy on the day the president was sworn in, arguing that the decision lacked sufficient consultation and planning.
“I am one of those who say President Asiwaju ought to have waited. Not on the day he was sworn in to say subsidy is gone. On what basis?”, he asked.
He urged broader engagement before major fiscal decisions are taken.
“Sit down with your cabinet, sit down with your ministers, sit down with your advisers,” he said, dismissing the argument that subsidy removal was justified solely on grounds of corruption.
The former lawmaker identified “structural flaws” in the country’s budgeting system, particularly the envelope budgeting model.
“One of the basic problems is that before you budget, you should have a plan. The envelope system we have been operating has been you budget before you plan. That has been a major issue”, he said.
He argued that allocating spending ceilings without aligning them to concrete development strategies inevitably weakens implementation and delivery.
“If you give me an envelope which is contrary to my plan, whether it is plus or minus, there is no way I am going to implement my plan. It is bound to fail,” he said.
Mr Yusuf called for the scrapping of the envelope budgeting system, noting that he had consistently opposed it even during his years in the National Assembly.
“It is not good for us. It is not going to work well for us,” he said.
He further blamed poor capital releases and persistent deficit financing for undermining budget performance over the years.
“We could not meet 60 percent of our capital budget in all these years. No releases. If you make a budget and the release is very poor, there is no way the budget will be executed”, he stated.
According to him, weak fund disbursement mechanisms and reliance on deficit financing have entrenched a cycle of underperformance.
“Our budget ought to have been a surplus budget, but all our budgets have always been deficit financing budgets,” Mr Yusuf added.

Continue Reading

Politics

Reps To Meet,’Morrow Over INEC’s 2027 Election Timetable

Published

on

The Nigerian House of Representatives has resolved to reconvene for an emergency session tomorrow February 17, 2026, to deliberate on issues arising from the Independent National Electoral Commission’s (INEC) release of the timetable for the 2027 general elections.
The decision was disclosed in a statement issued by the House Spokesman, Rep. Akin Rotimi, who described the electoral body’s announcement as one of “constitutional and national significance.”
INEC had fixed February 20, 2027, for the Presidential and National Assembly elections.
According to the statement, members of the Green Chamber were notified of the emergency sitting through an internal memorandum from the Speaker’s office.
The session is expected to focus on legislative matters connected to the newly released timetable, reflecting the House’s resolve to act promptly on issues affecting the nation’s democratic process.
Rep. Rotimi noted that all related businesses would be treated with urgency and urged lawmakers to prioritise attendance in view of the importance of the deliberations.
INEC had on Friday formally unveiled the comprehensive schedule for the 2027 polls, including timelines for party primaries slated for July to September 2026, as well as the commencement of Continuous Voter Registration in April 2026.
The development comes amid ongoing consultations and proposed amendments to the Electoral Act ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Continue Reading

Politics

Group Continues Push For Real Time Election Results Transmission

Published

on

As the controversy over the transmission of election results continues across the country, the Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), a pro democracy organisation in the country, has criticised the National Assembly for not giving express approval to real time transmission of elections results.
To this end, the group is calling on all civil society organisations in the country to mobilise and push for a better Electoral Reform in the country.
This was contained in a press statement titled, “Defence For Human Rights and Democracy Demands Real Time Election Transmission of Result”, a copy of which was made available to newsmen in Port Harcourt.
The group described the refusal of compulsory real time transmission of result results by the Senate as undemocratic, adding that the situation will give room for election manipulation, rigging and voters apathy.
It said that the provision of mandatory real time transmission of election results would have significant improvement on the nation’s democracy.
According to the statement, “Since the return of democracy in 1999 to date, it is 27 years, so our Democracy has metamorphosed from being nascent and as such significant improvement should have been recorded.
“Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), is really disappointed at the National Assembly, especially the upper chamber (Senate) for not approving ‘Real Time Electronic Transmission of Election Result’.
“This undemocratic act of theirs, if not tamed, will give room for election manipulation and rigging’”.
Signed by Comrade Clifford Christopher Solomon on behalf of the organisation, the statement further said, “The Defence For Human Rights and Democracy unequivocally supports real time transmission of election result”, stressing that his group will resist any act by the National Assembly to undermine the nation’s democracy.
“DHRD,unequivocally supports ‘True Democracy’, which is Government of the people, by the people and for the people.
“Therefore, anything that will crash the hope of Nigerians to Freely, Fairly and Transparently elect candidates of their choice in any given election should and will be vehemently resisted because good governance begins with leaders elected through credible process. By so doing, leaders have entered a social contract with the citizens to equitably manage their affairs and abundant resources”, the statement added.
It urged the National Assembly to revisit the issue in order to avoid civil unrest.
According to the DHRD, “To avoid civil unrest,voters apathy, election rigging and manipulation, rather to promote citizens participation, advancing our Democracy and entrenching free, fair, credible and acceptable electoral outcome, the National Assembly should amend the electoral act in a manner that will deepen our democracy and boost citizens confidence.
“On this note, The Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), is calling on all other civil society organisations (CSOs) to mobilise, organise and push for a better electoral act amendment by the National Assembly”.

By: John Bibor

Continue Reading

Trending