Connect with us

Politics

Wike Bags Silverbird, The Sun Awards

Published

on

Nigerians again celebrated the Rivers State Governor, Chief NyesomWike over the weekend as he lifted two major national awards.
Wike was enthroned as the Silverbird Man of the Year 2017 on Friday, while on Saturday, he was also celebrated as The Sun Governor of the Year.
The events which took place at Eko Hotels in Lagos was witnessed by the creame-de-lacreame of the Nigerian society.
Former Vice President, AtikuAbubakar who presented the Silverbird award to Wike described him as a worthy leader who is laying the right foundation for the rapid development of Rivers State.
Atiku who was excited by the honour said: “ I have witnessed virtually all administrations in Rivers State. I have not seen an administration that has done so much within a short time as that of Governor Wike”, adding that the feat is a remarkable achievement which he finds difficult to locate in any part of the country.
Chairman of Silverbird Group, Senator Ben Murray-Bruce, said Wike emerged the Silverbird Man of the Year on the strength of votes by the people and his focus on the development of the state though delivery of meaningful projects and programmes.
In his response, the Rivers State Governor said: “Today, I am much honored to receive this award because it represents the very ideals that sustain my interest in public service.”
He said his commitment has been to promote, defend and advance the best interest of the state.
On the Sun Governor of the Year Award, the Governor restated his commitment to the development of the state and unity of Nigeria and promised to serve the state and win more accolades.
He thanked The Sun Publishing Limited for finding him worthy to win the award back to back and dedicated the award to the people of Rivers State and his wife.
Former Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rt. Hon. Ghali Umar Na’abba last Wednesday, described Wike as a clear example of the leader Nigeria needs for her rapaid development.
Na’abba who stated while commissioning the Edeoha-Ikata-Ochigba Road in Ahoada East Local Government Area of Rivers State declared: “Nigeria needs politicians like Governor Wike. With this kind of posture, one day, you will become the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
“Should you declare for the Presidency one day, count on my support and that of those under me? What we need in this country is this kind of attitude. Attitude of friendship”.
Former Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, Prince ChibudumNwuche noted that Wike is not just a politician but a statesman, explaining that the road that was commissioned was abandoned by former Governor of the State, ChibuikeAmaechi because of their political differences.
Wike assured that under his leadership there would be no politics of victimisation and urged all to join hands towards developing the state.
The clamour for Wike to run for a second term continued last week. The people of Rivers East Senatorial District endorsed him for another tenure in office, stressing that their move was premised on the strength of Wike’s superlative performance.
The event which took place Tuesday at General Yakubu Gowon Stadium, Port Harcourt attracted such personalities as Senator George Thompson Sekibo, Sir Celestine Omehia, former Governor of the state, former NBA President, Chief Onueze Okocha (SAN) House of Representatives Member, Hon. Kingsley Chinda, Former Minister of Transport, Dr. Abiye Sekibo, former Deputy Speaker, House of Representatives, Austin Opara amongst others in the eight local government areas that make up the Senatorial District.
A youth representative, Oraye St. Franklyn said Governor Wike has no option but to contest and further develop the state.
Another major event in Government House last week was the meeting of South-South PDP leaders which resolved to unite and ensure that the party forms the next Federal Government in 2019.
Wike said PDP leaders will do everything possible to ensure that the party emerges victorious in 2019 and stressed the need for free and fair election that would enable Nigerians determine their future.
He urged PDP leaders to remain focused as they have the duty to salvage the country and set it on the part of growth.
PDP National Chairman, Prince UcheSecondus said Nigeria has collapsed with the Presidential Villa in ruins, hence it has become imperative to salvage the country in 2019.
Prominent members of the party from the six states that make up the zone attended the meeting.

 

Chris Oluoh

Continue Reading

Politics

FG’s Economic Policies Not Working – APC Chieftain

Published

on

A senator who represented Taraba Central, Mr Abubakar Yusuf, has declared that the economic policies of President Bola Tinubu are not yielding the expected results.
His comment is one of the strongest internal critiques yet from within the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).
The comment underscores the growing dissatisfaction within sections of the ruling party over the direction and impact of the administration’s economic reforms amid rising living costs and fiscal pressures across the country.
Mr Yusuf, who served in the Senate between 2015 and 2023 under the platform of the APC, made the remarks during an appearance on national television.
Responding to a question on whether the administration’s economic direction, often referred to as Tinubunomics, was working, Mr Yusuf answered in the contrary.
“For me, it is not working. I am a member of the APC. I would be the last person to hide the facts”, he said.
He said while the government might be operating diligently within its policy structure, the framework itself is ill-suited to Nigeria’s current realities
“Within the policy framework, yes, they are doing their best, but it is not the framework that is suitable for Nigeria at the point in time that President Asiwaju came into power,” he said.
Mr Yusuf criticised the immediate removal of fuel subsidy on the day the president was sworn in, arguing that the decision lacked sufficient consultation and planning.
“I am one of those who say President Asiwaju ought to have waited. Not on the day he was sworn in to say subsidy is gone. On what basis?”, he asked.
He urged broader engagement before major fiscal decisions are taken.
“Sit down with your cabinet, sit down with your ministers, sit down with your advisers,” he said, dismissing the argument that subsidy removal was justified solely on grounds of corruption.
The former lawmaker identified “structural flaws” in the country’s budgeting system, particularly the envelope budgeting model.
“One of the basic problems is that before you budget, you should have a plan. The envelope system we have been operating has been you budget before you plan. That has been a major issue”, he said.
He argued that allocating spending ceilings without aligning them to concrete development strategies inevitably weakens implementation and delivery.
“If you give me an envelope which is contrary to my plan, whether it is plus or minus, there is no way I am going to implement my plan. It is bound to fail,” he said.
Mr Yusuf called for the scrapping of the envelope budgeting system, noting that he had consistently opposed it even during his years in the National Assembly.
“It is not good for us. It is not going to work well for us,” he said.
He further blamed poor capital releases and persistent deficit financing for undermining budget performance over the years.
“We could not meet 60 percent of our capital budget in all these years. No releases. If you make a budget and the release is very poor, there is no way the budget will be executed”, he stated.
According to him, weak fund disbursement mechanisms and reliance on deficit financing have entrenched a cycle of underperformance.
“Our budget ought to have been a surplus budget, but all our budgets have always been deficit financing budgets,” Mr Yusuf added.

Continue Reading

Politics

Reps To Meet,’Morrow Over INEC’s 2027 Election Timetable

Published

on

The Nigerian House of Representatives has resolved to reconvene for an emergency session tomorrow February 17, 2026, to deliberate on issues arising from the Independent National Electoral Commission’s (INEC) release of the timetable for the 2027 general elections.
The decision was disclosed in a statement issued by the House Spokesman, Rep. Akin Rotimi, who described the electoral body’s announcement as one of “constitutional and national significance.”
INEC had fixed February 20, 2027, for the Presidential and National Assembly elections.
According to the statement, members of the Green Chamber were notified of the emergency sitting through an internal memorandum from the Speaker’s office.
The session is expected to focus on legislative matters connected to the newly released timetable, reflecting the House’s resolve to act promptly on issues affecting the nation’s democratic process.
Rep. Rotimi noted that all related businesses would be treated with urgency and urged lawmakers to prioritise attendance in view of the importance of the deliberations.
INEC had on Friday formally unveiled the comprehensive schedule for the 2027 polls, including timelines for party primaries slated for July to September 2026, as well as the commencement of Continuous Voter Registration in April 2026.
The development comes amid ongoing consultations and proposed amendments to the Electoral Act ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Continue Reading

Politics

Group Continues Push For Real Time Election Results Transmission

Published

on

As the controversy over the transmission of election results continues across the country, the Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), a pro democracy organisation in the country, has criticised the National Assembly for not giving express approval to real time transmission of elections results.
To this end, the group is calling on all civil society organisations in the country to mobilise and push for a better Electoral Reform in the country.
This was contained in a press statement titled, “Defence For Human Rights and Democracy Demands Real Time Election Transmission of Result”, a copy of which was made available to newsmen in Port Harcourt.
The group described the refusal of compulsory real time transmission of result results by the Senate as undemocratic, adding that the situation will give room for election manipulation, rigging and voters apathy.
It said that the provision of mandatory real time transmission of election results would have significant improvement on the nation’s democracy.
According to the statement, “Since the return of democracy in 1999 to date, it is 27 years, so our Democracy has metamorphosed from being nascent and as such significant improvement should have been recorded.
“Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), is really disappointed at the National Assembly, especially the upper chamber (Senate) for not approving ‘Real Time Electronic Transmission of Election Result’.
“This undemocratic act of theirs, if not tamed, will give room for election manipulation and rigging’”.
Signed by Comrade Clifford Christopher Solomon on behalf of the organisation, the statement further said, “The Defence For Human Rights and Democracy unequivocally supports real time transmission of election result”, stressing that his group will resist any act by the National Assembly to undermine the nation’s democracy.
“DHRD,unequivocally supports ‘True Democracy’, which is Government of the people, by the people and for the people.
“Therefore, anything that will crash the hope of Nigerians to Freely, Fairly and Transparently elect candidates of their choice in any given election should and will be vehemently resisted because good governance begins with leaders elected through credible process. By so doing, leaders have entered a social contract with the citizens to equitably manage their affairs and abundant resources”, the statement added.
It urged the National Assembly to revisit the issue in order to avoid civil unrest.
According to the DHRD, “To avoid civil unrest,voters apathy, election rigging and manipulation, rather to promote citizens participation, advancing our Democracy and entrenching free, fair, credible and acceptable electoral outcome, the National Assembly should amend the electoral act in a manner that will deepen our democracy and boost citizens confidence.
“On this note, The Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), is calling on all other civil society organisations (CSOs) to mobilise, organise and push for a better electoral act amendment by the National Assembly”.

By: John Bibor

Continue Reading

Trending