Connect with us

Nation

THE STATES

Published

on

Adamawa

The International Committee for Red Cross and Red Cres
cent said it had established family data base to assist in reuniting Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) in the North East region.
Alhaji Aliyu Maikano, the officer In- Charge of Red Cross on IDPs, disclosed this in an interviews with the newsmen in Yola.
Maikano said the center was established to reunite victims of insurgent attacks, who fled their communities and settled in camps across the region.
“The Committee has established family data bases in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe for internally displaced persons in the North East region.
“The development is to re-unite families who were separated due to insurgent attacks.” Maikano said.

FCT

The National Chairman, Nigerian Legion, retired Col. Mika
Gayya, has appealed to the people who made pledges to the legion during the 2014 Armed Forces Remembrance Day to redeem them.
Gayya told newsmen  in Abuja that out of the N105 million pledged, only N30 million had been redeemed.
According to him, unsuccessful efforts have been made through the Presidency to ensure that the pledges were redeemed.
“President Goodluck Jonathan has asked that we should contact all those people who made the pledges.
“We followed the right channel to make sure that those people were contacted but up till this moment nobody has paid a single kobo of the remaining outstanding money.
“We have taken steps through the Presidency because those that made pledges were invited by the presidency.
“So, it is only right that we remind them through the presidency that they made some pledges to the Nigerian legion that are yet to be redeemed,” he said.

Gombe

The Gombe State House of Assembly has commended
Governor Ibrahim Dankwambo’s efforts on the implementation of the 2014 budget.
Speaker of the House Alhaji Inuwa Garba, gave the commendation during the 2015 budget defence by Ministries, Departments and Agencies in Gombe.
He said that the budget had received a very serious attention and it was translated into action that impacted much on the socio economic development of the state.
According to him, it is now time for the state government to look toward the enhancement of its internally generated revenue base, for the development of the state.
“The oil price seems to be on a downward trend, day-by-day and it is what the entire nation depends on.
“This is a very serious problem, as it affected the economy of every part of our social life.

Kano

The Kano State Government has released N492.9 million
for the payment of scholarship allowances to its 23, 685 students in tertiary institutions across the country.
The Executive Secretary of the board, Alhaji Usman Ririwai, said this when he briefed newsmen in Kano recently.
He said the payment, which would be made through the students’ accounts, was for 2011/2012 and 2012/2013 academic sessions.
“The state government has released the money for the payment of the allowances and the payment has since commenced through their accounts.
“In the next couple of days all the students will receive their allowance through their accounts in various banks,” he said.
Ririwai assured that the state government would ensure that all outstanding students’ allowances were paid before the expiration of the present administration.

Lagos

My wife always demands money from me before allow
ing me to have sex with her, a retired civil servant, Mr Chibuzo Obiedefu, on Thursday told an Igando Customary Court, Lagos.
Obiedefu, 50, told the court that his wife, Philomena, whom he married seven years ago, was denying him sex.
“My wife is always starving me of sex and if she will allow me, she will ask me to pay for it.
“And if I refused to give her money and wanted to sleep with her by force, she would hit me with any dangerous weapons she could lay her hands on,” he said.
The petitioner accused his wife of infidelity and alleged that she was dating a policeman in their area.
“Philomena is cheating on me; she is having an affair with a policeman and whenever I cautioned her, she will flare up,” Obiedefu said.
He pleaded with the court to dissolve his seven-year-old marriage because he was tired of the relationship and he was no longer in love.
Responding, the 40-year-old businesswoman denied all the allegations.

Niger

Governor Babangida Aliyu of Niger State has under
scored the need for political direction for the successful maintenance of security in the country.
He said this at the launch of this year’s Armed Forces Remembrance Day and Emblem Appeal Week in Minna.
Aliyu said that this would give the members of the armed forces the moral and psychological impetus to conduct their constitutional duties effectively and efficiently.
“I believe with the right political will the issue of the current security challenges can be tackled within a given time frame.
“But we need to do a correct and honest assessment of the situation.
“We are yet to get a proper perspective of the security situations. New information emerges every day.
“When we get all these variables correctly, we can then be able to say to the armed forces finish the insurgency in six months and it will be done,” he said.

Oyo

A dietician and Head, Department of Dietetics, Univer
sity College Hospital(UCH) Ibadan, Mr Tunde Ajobo, said that headache, yellow urine and constipation were bold signs of dehydration.
Ajobo told newsmen in Ibadan that having persistent and constant headache might be a sign of losing body fluid or dehydration.
“Every human body constantly loses fluid and these means you are also losing essential salts like sodium and potassium that are in the fluids you are losing.
“The salt loss actually changes the chemical makeup of the blood and the brain in turn is super sensitive to that change, and that sensitivity triggers a headache.
“The headaches get worse depending on how much water one loses. The more water you lose, the more your blood volume drops, which cause less oxygen flow to the brain.
Plateau

Archbishop Ignatius Kaigama of the Catholic Archdio
cese of Jos, Plateau, has urged Nigerian leaders to be sincere and honest in tackling the insurgency affecting some northern states.
Kaigama, who is also the President, Catholic Bishops Conference of Nigeria (CBCN), made the statement in Jos in an interview with newsmen.
He described terrorism as `a negative manifestation of the ills of the Nigerian state,’ adding that terrorism would always rear its ugly face due to “some underlining but multidimensional factors.”
“Nigerians are too aesthetic in everything they do. We concentrate so much on doing the outward things, but seemingly forget to dig deeper to find lasting solutions to our problems.
“Leaders in this country — political, religious, and traditional must be sincere and honest in their dealings to bring an end to insurgency,” he said.

Taraba

The Taraba State Police Command has advised mosques
and churches in the state to acquire hand metal detectors in order to beef up security around them.
ASP Joseph Kwaji, spokesman of the command, gave the advice during an interview with the newsmen in Jalingo.
Kwaji said the devise would enable officials of the worship centres to thoroughly search worshipers before allowing them entry.
He said the advice became necessary in view of the security situation in the North-East.
He also advised individuals who were planning to organise social gatherings to acquire the facility and use same to prevent possible attack by terrorists.

Zamfara

The Zamfara State Zakat and Endowment Board, has
shared N4.08 million to more than 500 less-privileged people as Zakat in the state, the Board’s Chairman, Alhaji Liman Dan’Alhaji, said.
Dan’Alhaji made the disclosure during the distribution of the cash in Gusau, saying the Zakat distribution was an annual event.
He said “the money collected this year is more than the amount collected in previous years and we decided to share it to the beneficiaries.
“The beneficiaries include the deaf, the blind, the crippled and some Islamic scholars.
“They all received between N10,000 and N20,000, which is higher than the N5,000 shared in 2014.”
The Executive Secretary of the board, Malam Bashir Surajo, commended the individuals who contributed to the fund.

Alhaji Aminu Tambuwal (left) Speaker, House of Representative flanked by  Ogun State Governor, Senator Amosun Ibikunle and Alhaji Fashola of Lagos State at the APC Presidential rally held  in Port Harcourt recently.  					    Photo: Ibioye Diama

Alhaji Aminu Tambuwal (left) Speaker, House of Representative flanked by Ogun State Governor, Senator Amosun Ibikunle and Alhaji Fashola of Lagos State at the APC Presidential rally held in Port Harcourt recently. Photo: Ibioye Diama

Continue Reading

Nation

RSG Hosts 2026 President’s Inter-SS Debate as Eight States Vie for National Crown

Published

on

Eight states across Nigeria have converged in Port Harcourt for the 2026 edition of the President’s Inter-Senior Secondary Schools Debate Championship, hosted by Rivers State Government.

The three_days championship, themed “27th Democracy & 3rd Year Anniversary of President Ahmed Tinubu Inter-Senior Schools Debate Championship,” opened on Monday at Government Girls Secondary School, Rumueme, Port Harcourt.

The participating states are Ebonyi, Abia, Delta, Sokoto, Yobe, Kwara, Enugu, and host state Rivers. Each state is represented by its top debaters selected through state-level contests.

Declaring the event open, the Rivers State Commissioner for Education, Dr. Peters Nwagor, said the championship goes beyond winning trophies. He described it as a national investment in the next generation of leaders.

“This platform is for nurturing young minds,” Nwagor said. “It builds critical thinking, research skills, confidence, effective communication, and the ability to engage constructively with views different from one’s own. These are the very qualities upon which responsible leadership and nation-building are founded.”

The Commissioner commended the organizers, participating schools, teachers, and coordinators for their commitment to promoting intellectual excellence among Nigerian youths.

He urged the students to compete with confidence, discipline, and respect. “Debate is not merely about winning an argument,” he noted. “It is about listening carefully, reasoning with clarity, presenting your evidence with honesty, and having the grace to learn from others. Let the quality of your ideas and the strength of your character define your participation here.”

Nwagor assured the participants that Rivers State is proud to play its part in raising a generation that will bring bold and innovative solutions to the country’s challenges. He wished all teams a rewarding, memorable, and successful championship.

Earlier in his welcome address, the National Coordinator of the President’s Schools Debate Nigeria, PSDN, Elder Dare Oritu, called the event a “gathering of minds” drawn from different parts of the country.

According to Oritu, debate is about three things. “It is about _unity_. It brings us together from different schools and backgrounds to learn from one another. It is about _broadening the mind_. It teaches you to think deeply, to listen well, to ask ‘why,’ and to defend your ideas with facts and respect. It is about _preparing you for leadership_. The problem-solvers and decision-makers of tomorrow are in this hall today.”

He reminded the students that debate is not a contest of aggression. “Debate is _not a fight_. We challenge ideas, not people. It is _not about who is better_. And it is _not do-or-die_. We win with grace, and we learn with humility,” Oritu said.

The PSDN National Coordinator encouraged all participants to compete with integrity, speak with clarity, and leave wiser than they came. He wished them the very best throughout the competition.

Highlights of the opening ceremony included the official draw for debate matches, administered by PSDN officials. The pairings will determine which states face each other in the preliminary rounds as the battle for the 2026 national title begins.

 

Amadi Akujobi

Continue Reading

Nation

NIIT Port Harcourt Graduates 61 Cybersecurity Students, Enrols 48 New Intakes

Published

on

The National Institute of Information Technology (NIIT), Port Harcourt, has graduated 61 students from its six-month Cybersecurity training programme. The institute also inducted 48 new students for the new academic session during a brief ceremony held at its Port Harcourt centre on Monday.

Centre Manager of NIIT Port Harcourt, Mr. Precious Ogulu Tom, said the institute is always excited to induct students into cybersecurity because it is one of its flagship courses with strong international recognition. He noted that the centre’s performance has earned it high ratings from ICSS, adding that in the past academic year, more than 20 students passed ICSS certification exams.

According to him, beyond the NIIT certificate, which is globally recognized, students also proceed to ICSS and complete their courses without difficulty. He credited the faculty for maintaining standards and said NIIT remains the leading ICT training institute in Port Harcourt and Rivers State.

Tom said NIIT has a presence in all major cities in Nigeria and its headquarters in India, with training covering all areas of ICT. He added that every year the institute produces at least one first-class graduate in Software Engineering from partner universities such as Middlesex University and the University of Sunderland. He described the institute’s approach as practical and hands-on.

On fees, he addressed comments about cost online, saying quality training requires investment. “Does anything good come easy? Nothing good comes easy,” he stated. He explained that students receive industry-standard books and globally recognized certificates, and invited parents and prospective students to register with NIIT for value-driven training.

Also speaking, Principal Instructor for Cybersecurity and Ethical Hacking, Mr. Nyekwere TamunoTonye, said the cohort began in February with high expectations and completed the programme in six months. He said one notable achievement was that the class remained largely intact despite challenges, including system breakdowns and family issues. “At the end of this six months, we never lost anybody. That is the greatest. So, we give God the glory,” he said.

Nyekwere said students were exposed to multiple domains in cybersecurity and received strong practical training. He told the graduands that their real learning starts now and urged them not to relent. “This is no longer the time you go back to play,” he added.

He emphasized that the institute equipped them not only with technical and practical skills but also with character and a mindset for continuous learning. He noted that no institution, including Harvard or Yale, can teach everything, but good schools set the path, which NIIT has done.

He charged them to deploy their skills positively. “I don’t want to see any of you being arrested by the EFCC tomorrow. I don’t want to see any of you being arrested by the police. I don’t want to see any of you being arrested,” he said.

Senior IT Counselor and Head of Sales and Marketing, Mrs. Igbigbari Vincent-Eretoru, congratulated the graduands for completing the programme and defending their presentations according to NIIT academic standards. She said certificates are awarded in character and learning, and urged them to be good ambassadors of NIIT Port Harcourt by applying what they learned.

Responding on behalf of the graduates, Class Section Head Tamunotonyesia Epelle said many came in with questions and uncertainty about specializations but left with clarity, confidence, and technical competence gained through practical assignments, teamwork, and the instructor’s push to avoid mediocrity.

Continue Reading

Nation

HYPREP Marks 15 Years Of UNEP Report, Highlights Major Cleanup Milestones

Published

on

The Hydrocarbon Pollution Remediation Project (HYPREP) has commemorated the 15th anniversary of the release of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Environmental Assessment Report on Ogoniland, reaffirming its commitment to restoring the environment and improving the livelihoods of affected communities.

In a statement signed by the Project Coordinator, Prof Nenibarini Zabbey, to commemorate the anniversary, HYPREP described the anniversary as a significant milestone in Nigeria’s environmental restoration efforts, noting that the project has made remarkable progress in implementing the recommendations of the landmark UNEP report released on August 4, 2011.

The UNEP report had revealed extensive oil pollution across Ogoniland, severe environmental degradation, and serious public health risks resulting from decades of petroleum operations. It also recommended an initial $1 billion fund to commence the cleanup of the affected communities.

According to HYPREP, the Federal Government formally launched the Ogoni clean-up in 2016, while the Project Coordination Office was established in 2017 to drive the implementation of UNEP’s recommendations.
Zabbey said the current administration has continued to prioritise the project under the Renewed Hope Agenda.

Providing an update on the cleanup, the Project Coordinator disclosed that 30 of the 65 contaminated sites identified by UNEP have been fully remediated, while work is ongoing at several medium- and high-risk locations. It also stated that more than 1.5 million mangrove seedlings have been planted as part of what it described as the world’s largest restoration of oil-degraded mangroves, with over 1,000 hectares of shoreline already rehabilitated.

Zabbey further revealed that 49 Ogoni communities have been connected to potable water schemes through multiple water projects and booster stations aimed at providing safe drinking water across the region.

In the health sector, he said the 100-bed Ogoni Specialist Hospital in Kpite and the 43-bed Cottage Hospital in Buan are nearing completion, adding that several existing health facilities have been upgraded with modern medical equipment, while five ambulances have been donated to improve emergency healthcare services. The Project Coordinator also disclosed that a three-year human health biomonitoring study is being conducted in collaboration with the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).

On economic empowerment, Zabbey stated that the Project has created more than 8,000 direct jobs and trained thousands of Ogoni youths and women in various vocational and technical skills, including software development, cybersecurity, aviation, commercial diving, seafaring, mechatronics, and creative arts. The project also reported awarding scholarships to more than 1,000 students, providing grants to small businesses, and supporting persons living with special needs through skills acquisition programmes.

The statement further highlighted ongoing legacy projects, including the Ogoni Power Project and the Centre of Excellence for Environmental Restoration, which it said is about 96 per cent complete. HYPREP also welcomed the recent designation of the Ogoni Wetland as a Ramsar Site of International Importance and pledged to continue promoting biodiversity conservation and sustainable management of the ecosystem.

Marking the anniversary, Zabbey said the progress achieved over the past 15 years demonstrates the collective commitment of government, development partners, stakeholders, and local communities to restoring Ogoniland. He called for renewed collaboration to sustain the cleanup effort, promote environmental sustainability, and support the long-term development of the region. 3

Continue Reading

Trending