Connect with us

News

Senate Debates Emergency Rule In Three States, May 21 …As Army Begins Offensive Against Terror In Borno

Published

on

The Senate has fixed May 21 for discussions on the state of emergency declared by President Goodluck Jonathan in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa States.

The Senate President, Sen. David Mark, announced this yesterday when he requested the senators at plenary session and those absent to be present on the day.

Mark said their presence was imperative for the Senate to form a quorum to deliberate on “an important national issue”.

“I would like to appeal to all distinguished colleagues here present and those who are not here, that they should be present on Tuesday, May 21, 2013.”

He said this was necessary “so that we form a quorum to deliberate on a sensitive matter that will be before us on that day’’.

Our correspondent  reports that out of the 109 senators,only 54 attended yesterday’s session.

Section 305 of the 1999 Constitution provides that the proclamation of a state of emergency has no effect unless the National Assembly passes a resolution, supported by two third majority of each House.

It adds that the proclamation is to take place within two days when the National Assembly is in session and 10 days when not in session, after the publication in the Official Gazette of the Federal Government.

“A proclamation issued by the President under this section shall cease to have effect if it affects the Federation or any part thereof and within two days when the National Assembly is in session.”

The Leader of the Senate, Senator Victor Ndoma-Egba, said the delay in the debate could not breach the Constitution since the proclamation had not been published in the government gazette.

“ The Constitution is very clear. You start counting the days from the date of the publication of the gazette. We haven’t seen any gazette.

“It is when the gazette has been published, if we are in session, we are obliged to approve or confirm it within two days.

“If we are not in session, then we are obliged to approve or reject it within 10 days. Section 305 does not provide a timeframe for the publication of the gazette.’’

“There is a lacuna here, but so far no provision of the Constitution has been breached and there is no constitutional crisis”, he said.

Meanwhile, More than 2,000 Nigerian troops have begun an offensive to retake territory seized by Boko Haram Islamist insurgents in the remote villages in north-eastern Borno State , some of them raiding camps in a game reserve, a military source told newsmen, yesterday.

The military has launched a sweeping operation to flush out Boko Haram fighters, a radical group which says it wants to create an Islamic state in northern Nigeria.

The offensive follows an admission by President Goodluck Jonathan that Boko Haram had “taken over” parts of the northeast and declared war against the Nigerian government, prompting him to impose emergency measures in the three states.

A military source, who requested anonymity, told newsmen that operations had started in, at least, one area of Borno State, the epicentre of the insurgency.

“Our men raided some terrorist camps in the Sambisa Game Reserve,” in northern Borno, early on Wednesday, he said.     ‘

In January, the military stormed Boko Haram training facilities in the same area.

The source added that 2,000 troops had been deployed to Borno but declined to comment on the number of forces sent to the two other affected states, Y obe and Adamawa.

Army spokesman, Brigadier General Ibrahim Attahiru refused to discuss figures.

Residents in all three states have reported seeing an increased number of military personnel.

Zangina Kyarimi, who lives in the remote town of Marti in northern Borno towards the border with Chad, told newsmen yesterday that “large military teams” arrived late Wednesday.

“I saw dozens of military vans and trucks accompanied by tanks,” he said by phone from the town which is considered a Boko Haram stronghold.

“We are afraid of what might happen in the coming days. We are thinking of leaving.”

The security forces yesterday told banks to close in the town of Gashua in Yobe State, where suspected Boko Haram fighters attacked the police and a series of buildings on April 26, resident Musa Saminu said.

“Around 30 military vans passed through the town … They were heavily armed. Some of them went to the banks and asked them to close down as a precaution,” he said.

Red Cross spokesmen, Nwakpa O. Nwakpa said the orgainsation was prepared to offer relief to civilian impacted by the military operation

Nigeria’s security forces have been accused of massive rights abuses in campaigns against Boko Haram, which may have amounted to crimes against humanity, according to Human Rights Watch.

Boko Haram entrenched itself in the expansive region bordering Cameroun, Chad and Niger Republic due to relatively modest military presence and despite the boosted number of troops some analysts believe the Islamists will be able to spread out and find safe havens.

Boko Haram has carried out scores of attacks across northern and central Nigeria since 20-10, but experts say that in recent months, the Islamists have become better armed and better funded.

The group is believed to be led by Abubakar Shekau, declared a global terrorist by the United States, but the extent of his control is unclear.

Shekau has rejected any form of negotiation with the Federal Government.

The Boko Haram conflict is estimated to have cost 3,600 lives since 2010, including killings by the security forces.

Continue Reading

News

Victory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has expressed confidence that the country would win the fight against insecurity.

The President gave the assurance at the Argungu International Fishing Festival in Argungu town, Kebbi State, on Saturday.

He noted that the relative peace currently being enjoyed in Kebbi and neighbouring states was the result of sustained investments in security intelligence, coordination among security agencies, and community engagement.

Tinubu assured farmers and fishermen of sustained federal support to guarantee food security and safety across the country.

“The peace we are witnessing today is not accidental. It is the outcome of deliberate and sustained efforts. I assure you that the fight against banditry, insurgency, and insecurity will be won.

“Our farmers, fishermen, traders, and families will go about their lawful activities without fear,” he assured.

The President commended the organisers of the festival for sustaining the cultural event for decades, noting that it had endured for 83 years despite social and security challenges.

Describing the Argungu festival as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence, Tinubu stated that it reflects the richness of the country’s culture and the opportunities to harness its natural and human resources for national growth.

He said, “Today, this festival stands as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence among our people.

“It reflects the richness of our culture, the strength of our traditions, and the opportunities inherent in harnessing our natural and human resources for national development.”

The President was received by a large crowd of residents, traditional rulers, fishermen, tourists, and government officials from across the country.

The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to youth and women empowerment, irrigation development, rural electrification, and agricultural productivity.

Earlier, the Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, said his administration was determined to elevate the Argungu Fishing Festival to full international standards while pursuing aggressive development across critical sectors of the state.

Continue Reading

News

US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day

Published

on

The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.

The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.

“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.

According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.

The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.

In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.

Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.

Continue Reading

News

Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role

Published

on

United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.

Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.

The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.

“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.

The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.

Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.

The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.

In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.

“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.

Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.

He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.

Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.

 

Continue Reading

Trending