News
RSG Sacks GSM Market …Prosecutes Nine Streets Traders
In line with its policy to check the defacement of Port Harcourt, the Rivers State capital and restore its Garden City status, the Rivers State Government, has ordered the closure of markets operating at strategic locations in the state capital.
A statement from the Commissioner for Urban Development and Physical Planning, Dr Tammy Danagogo said the development of the city of Port Harcourt requires adherence to standards in terms of planning, adding that government policy on the restoration of the Garden City will not be compromised.
The commissioner, who spoke through the Special Adviser on Media, Mr Ovie Igho, said that the ministry would implement the urban development policy to the letter, and restated its commitment towards restoring the Garden City from urban defacement.
The Tide investigations reveal that one of the areas affected in the course of government’s move to restore Port Harcourt to its deserving status, is the GSM market within Garrison bus stop.
In recent times, the Garrison market had been incessantly invaded by taskforce operatives from the Port Harcourt City Local Government Area, apparently acting on government’s directives.
The traders are however, crying foul that they have not been treated fairly as the task force operatives last Tuesday carted away their wares and physically assaulted some of their members.
A trader in the affected market, Lovelyne Ajuizieogu, who spoke with The Tide, said that the taskforce operatives, armed with hammers, axes and other burglary equipment, arrived the market environment unnoticed with a team of military patrol escort and harassed everyone on sight.
She added that the taskforce operatives confiscated their wares displayed along the road, and also invaded rented shops and removed the traders goods. She said the operations were mostly carried out in a vicious manner under the supervision of military escorts.
Another trader, Mr Victor Izomah, who registers SIMs cards and repairs phones lamented the mode of operations of the taskforce, which he described as barbaric and inhuman.
Izomah, who explained that the GSM market at Garrison has suffered incessant harassment from taskforce operators, said the market had created jobs for the teeming youths in the state.
He pointed out that the traders should be properly briefed by the government, if there was a planned relocation or closing of the market.
Another victim, who simply identified himself as Udeme and deals on glasses, said he was physically assaulted by the taskforce operators, who also went with all his goods.
He said the mood in which the taskforce carried out their operations also provided opportunity for hoodlums who joined to loot the place as a result of the rowdiness of the market environment.
Mr Godspower Amaijan, who repairs GSM phones at the market, also called on the government to put a proper check on the activities of taskforce operators, as some of them operate like outlaws.
Amaijan said , “ genuine taskforce on removal of illegal street trading has no business invading people’s rented shops and removing goods belonging to traders”.
Also affected in the task force operation were vendors, whose newspapers and books were removed.
A vendor, who spoke with The Tide on the condition of anonymity, said, this is the first time we are facing harassment from taskforce, I have been at this newsstands for over eight years.
When The Tide approached the head of the taskforce team, simply referred to as Boby, by his colleagues, he simply ignored the reporter with impunity.
It would be recalled that recently, some miscreants who disguised as officials of the Rivers State Ministry of Urban Development were arrested by law enforcement officers and are presently facing prosecution.
When contacted, the Press Secretary of Port Harcourt City Local Government, Mr Bolingo Elenwo said the task force members were operating on a mandate from the governor to stop the market operating at Garrison. He said the council would do everything possible to ensure that the market operators were evicted permanently.
Meanwhile, the Rivers State Government says it has arrested and prosecuted nine persons for indulging in street trading within the Port Harcourt metropolis and its environs.
The state Commissioners for Urban Development and Physical Planning, Dr Tammy Danagogo who disclosed this while speaking with newsmen in Port Harcourt last Wednesday, said the arrest was in keeping with the ministry’s commitment in ensuring that the state was rid of illegal street trading to reinforce the present administration’s war against street hawking.
Dr Danagogo, who did not disclose the identity of the arrested persons, however said that the accused persons were arrested along Slaughter market in Trans- Amadi and Sangana Street, Diobu in Port Harcourt respectively by the task force on development control of the ministry.
According to him, the activities of the arrested persons had led to terrible traffic jam as well as the harassment of motorists along the area, adding that they had since been charged to a court of competent jurisdiction for prosecution.
The Commissioner averred that the accused persons were among the group of persons previously arrested by the task force team, adding that they were properly warned not to indulge in the act again which he said, they did not heed to.
“Incredibly, after they were released on bail, they were unrepentant and promptly returned to their criminal escapades. They were re-arrested and have been detained in police custody”, he added.
Taneh Beemene
News
Victory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures
President Bola Tinubu has expressed confidence that the country would win the fight against insecurity.
The President gave the assurance at the Argungu International Fishing Festival in Argungu town, Kebbi State, on Saturday.
He noted that the relative peace currently being enjoyed in Kebbi and neighbouring states was the result of sustained investments in security intelligence, coordination among security agencies, and community engagement.
Tinubu assured farmers and fishermen of sustained federal support to guarantee food security and safety across the country.
“The peace we are witnessing today is not accidental. It is the outcome of deliberate and sustained efforts. I assure you that the fight against banditry, insurgency, and insecurity will be won.
“Our farmers, fishermen, traders, and families will go about their lawful activities without fear,” he assured.
The President commended the organisers of the festival for sustaining the cultural event for decades, noting that it had endured for 83 years despite social and security challenges.
Describing the Argungu festival as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence, Tinubu stated that it reflects the richness of the country’s culture and the opportunities to harness its natural and human resources for national growth.
He said, “Today, this festival stands as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence among our people.
“It reflects the richness of our culture, the strength of our traditions, and the opportunities inherent in harnessing our natural and human resources for national development.”
The President was received by a large crowd of residents, traditional rulers, fishermen, tourists, and government officials from across the country.
The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to youth and women empowerment, irrigation development, rural electrification, and agricultural productivity.
Earlier, the Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, said his administration was determined to elevate the Argungu Fishing Festival to full international standards while pursuing aggressive development across critical sectors of the state.
News
US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day
The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.
The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.
“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.
According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.
The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.
In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.
Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.
News
Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role
United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.
Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.
The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.
“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.
The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.
Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.
The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.
In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.
“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.
Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.
He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.
Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.
-
Politics4 days agoAPC Releases Adjusted Timetable For Nationwide Congresses, Convention
-
Sports22 hours ago2026 WC: Nigeria, DR Congo Awaits FIFA Verdict Today
-
Sports4 days ago
DG NIS Wants NSC Board Constituted, Seeks Increased In Funding
-
Business4 days agoCustoms Seek Support To Curb Smuggling In Ogun
-
Featured4 days agoINEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
-
Sports4 days agoSWAN Rivers Set-up Five Functional Committees
-
News4 days ago
Police Bust Kidnapping Syndicate In PH
-
Sports4 days ago
NSC Disburses N200m Training Grants To 26 Athletes
