Nation
THE STATES
Borno
The Borno State Government plans to import 1,000 heavy duty tractors from Pakistan to harness the agricultural potential of the state.
Governor Kashim Shettima who made this known while speaking with newsmen in Maiduguri on Sunday explained that an agreement had already been signed by the Pakistani government and the Borno state government for the supply of the tractors.
“We are just coming back from a working visit to three countries – Pakistan, Turkey and India.
FCT
The Norsemen Club, a youth advocacy group, on Sunday in Abuja called on the Federal Government to protect Nigerian students against potential attacks.
President of the FCT chapter of the group, Mr Segun Fakehinde, made the call in an interview with our correspondent.
He stressed that Nigerian students ought to be given adequate protection by all levels of government to forestall probable attacks on them.
“We are not happy with the incidents that recently occurred in Mubi and Port Harcourt; we are appealing to the government at all levels to recognise the fact that the future of the country lies in the hands of the youths and the majority of these youths are students.
Jigawa
Dabi Community in Ringim Local government Area of Jigawa has begun reconstruction of its only access road recently washed away by flood.
The Chairman of the Dabi Community Development Association, Alhaji Ali Adamu, told The Tide last Saturday in Ringim that the road was their only link to the outside world.
He said the disaster had hindered transportation and exposed the community to difficulties, pointing out that the rehabilitation of the road was being executed through communal efforts at the cost of N2 million.
He added that the flood had also crippled social and economic activities in the area and appealed to Jigawa State Government to relocate the community to a new site and empower them in view of the losses they had suffered as a result of the disaster.
Kano
The Nigeria Union of Journalist (NUJ) National President, Garba Mohammed, has called on the Kano State government to re-open the Triumph Newspapers Publishing Company it closed down recently for poor performance.
He made the call during the Annual Lecture/Role Model award ceremony organised by the Correspondents’ Chapel of the NUJ in Kano on Saturday.
“I want to appeal to the state government to immediately re-consider its decision and consider the general rehabilitation of the Triumph Newspapers.
Katsina
Katsina State government says it has constructed 832 kilometres of roads as part of its urban expansion programme aimed at laying a solid foundation for economic advancement of the state.
Governor Ibrahim Shema made this known on Sunday in Katsina when he spoke with The Tide expressed his administration’s commitment to build a legacy of quality infrastructural development to facilitate economic empowerment of the people
He stressed that road construction was an on-going and continuous exercise of the administration’s urbanisation programme.
Kebbi
A former Chief Judge of Kebbi State Justice Ibrahim Umar, has attributed the successes recorded in the state Judiciary in the last five years to the non-interference of the executive arm.
Umar made this known during a valedictory session organised by the state to mark his exit from the bench in Birnin Kebbi on Friday.
He retired after 24 years on the bench, including serving as chief Judge in the former Sokoto State and the present Kebbi.
The outgone chief judge said the executive and legislative arms of the government worked closely to provide enabling environment to the Judiciary to function independently.
Kogi
A businessman, Alhaji Abdulrazak Kutepa, has donated N10 million cash to the victims of the recent flood disaster in Kogi State.
A statement signed by Mr Jacob Edi, Special Adviser to the Governor on Media and Strategy, said that Kutepa handed over the money to Governor Idris Wada on Saturday evening at the Government House.
The statement, a copy of which was made available to The Tide on Sunday in Lokoja, said Kutepa also donated bags of rice, clothes and other materials to the victims.
Kutepa expressed sadness over the flood disaster which ravaged 457 communities in nine local government areas of the state.
Kwara
The Kwara State Government has so far committed the sum of N900 million into the energy sector, the state Commissioner for Energy, Alhaji Tajudeen Sulu-Oloje, has said.
He told The Tide last Sunday in Ilorin that an additional sum of N400 million was on the verge of being spent, adding that the sum had been earmarked for the construction of injection sub-station in Ilesa Baruba in Baruteen Local Government Area (LGA) of the state.
“It is an electrification project and we are now in the rainy season. But once we enter the dry season, work will commence fully on providing electricity in these communities.
Lagos
President, Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), Dr Nasir Fagge, on Sunday described the incessant killings of students in some parts of the country as unfortunate and condemnable.
Fagge told our correspondent in a telephone interview in Lagos that the union was worried and sad by the development.
He said the union had directed affected institutions to investigate the incidents and that it was waiting for the outcome before taking appropriate steps.
“We have asked our members in the affected institutions to give us information but whatever it is, it is a condemnable act.
Nasarawa
The Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development Dr Akinwumi Adesina, has assured the country that it would not be plunged into food crisis or famine.
He gave the assurance on Saturday at the 2012 National Agriculture Show in Tudun Wada, Nasarawa State following concerns of likely food shortage as a result of flooding in the country.
He stressed that the Federal Government had resolved to set up a Flood Recovery Food Production plan to support farmers in the flood affected areas.
“We have already put in place a Flood Recovery Food Production plan to support farmers in the flood affected areas.
Sokoto
The Independent National Electoral Commission( INEC) has held a one-day interactive session in Sokoto on its 2012-2016 Strategic Plan meant to enhance the credibility of future elections.
The Tide reports that the session drew participants from the commission’s offices in Sokoto, Zamfara and Kebbi states.
The INEC National Commissioner in charge of the states Hajiya Amina Zakari, said the session was to gather inputs from the staff to ensure the smooth implementation of the plan.
“We want to draw from your rich store of knowledge and experience”, she said, adding that it was aimed at making the staff proud owners of the plan so as to elicit its implementation.
Ondo
President Goodluck Jonathan has assured that there will be free, fair and violent free governorship election in Ondo on October 20.
Jonathan gave the assurance on Saturday in Akure at a rally for the presentation of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) flag to its candidate, Chief Olusola Oke.
The President urged the people of the state to vote for the PDP to enable the party utilise the state’s abundant natural and mineral resources to enhance the well being of the people.
“We are working to make Ondo State very rich, if you vote for PDP, we will work with your governor to make you rich because you are richly blessed with agricultural and mineral resources.
Osun
Wife of the Speaker, Osun State House of Assembly, Mrs Muibat Salaam, was on Saturday rescued from her abductors at Ogunmakin area, along Lagos-Ibadan expressway, in Ogun.
The Tide recalled that Muibat, who is the first wife of the speaker, Mr Najeem Salaam was kidnapped on October 9 in Ejigbo area of Osun State.
The Tide reliably gathered that the rescue operation was carried out by officers of the Vigilante Service of Ogun.
The source said that the organisation acted on a tip-off and arrested three of the hoodlums who were handed over to the officers of Ogun State Police Command in Abeokuta.
Nation
Sachet Alcohol Fuels Binge Drinking Among Nigerian Youths, Group Warns
The Standard Bearers (SB) Islamic Organisation has raised concerns over the growing rate of binge drinking among Nigerian youths, attributing the trend largely to the widespread availability of sachet alcohol.
The group’s position follows the recent move by the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) to enforce a ban on alcoholic beverages packaged in sachets and bottles below 200 millilitres.
In a statement jointly signed by its National Coordinator, Dr. Nurudeen AbdulRaheem, and National Secretary, Malam Qaasim Adegbuyi, the organisation declared its full support for NAFDAC’s decision, describing it as a timely and necessary public health intervention.
AbdulRaheem noted that sachet alcohol, often sold for as little as ?100, has made excessive drinking more accessible, particularly to young people and minors. According to him, the affordability and small packaging of such products have worsened binge drinking, youth addiction and community insecurity.
He explained that binge drinking involves consuming multiple alcoholic drinks within a short period, typically within two hours, a practice that can lead to severe physical and mental health complications as well as legal and social problems.
The SB National Coordinator cited global health data indicating that alcohol is responsible for more than three million deaths annually worldwide and remains a major contributor to road accidents, violence, liver disease and mental health disorders.
While acknowledging concerns from industry stakeholders over the economic implications of the ban, AbdulRaheem maintained that public health considerations must take precedence.
“Public health and the protection of young lives must come first,” he stated, adding that Islamic ethical values, like many societal norms, emphasise the protection of life, intellect and family stability.
The organisation urged NAFDAC and the Federal Government to remain resolute in implementing the policy while also providing transition support for businesses that may be affected by the ban.
According to the group, the enforcement of the ban represents a significant step toward promoting a safer and healthier society.
By Favour James
Nation
HYPREP Unleashes 100 Ogoni Youths Into Maritime Industry …Tasks Them On Discipline, Safety
The Hydrocarbon Pollution Remediation Project (HYPREP) has successfully concluded its Seafarers Training Programme for 100 Ogoni youths, positioning them for opportunities in the competitive global maritime industry.
The beneficiaries, who underwent four months of intensive training at Charkin Maritime Academy, Port Harcourt, received their certificates during a close-out ceremony held on Tuesday, February 10, 2026. The event was attended by top management staff of HYPREP, the HYPREP Project Support Lead and Representative of Renaissance Africa Energy Company Limited, the Executive Director of Training and Strategic Planning of Charkin Maritime Academy, the Head of the Seafaring Department, the Principal Consultant of DCL Consulting Firm, and other dignitaries.
Addressing the graduates, HYPREP Project Coordinator, Prof. Nenibarini Zabbey, described the ceremony as a celebration of hard work, dedication, and the beginning of a new chapter in the lives of the young beneficiaries.
He said the graduation symbolises vision, resilience, and hope — hope translated into skills, certificates, and tangible opportunities for a better future for Ogoni youths.
According to him, the passing-out ceremony marks an important milestone in HYPREP’s mandate to restore livelihoods and promote sustainable development in Ogoniland. He urged the beneficiaries to make productive use of the skills and certifications acquired.
“These skills and achievements should not end here but serve as a springboard for self-reliance, dignity of labour, and long-term economic empowerment for the good of Ogoniland and Nigeria,” he stated.
Prof. Zabbey noted that the seafaring programme is significant not only to the beneficiaries but also to HYPREP’s broader livelihood restoration strategy and the Federal Government’s blue economy agenda.
He explained that by equipping the youths with globally relevant maritime skills, HYPREP is opening alternative income opportunities while discouraging oil theft, artisanal refining, re-pollution, and other environmentally harmful practices. He added that the initiative aligns with the directives of the 2016 HYPREP Establishment Gazette and reinforces the Project’s commitment to implementing the recommendations of the UNEP Report on Ogoniland.
Commending Charkin Maritime Academy as a dependable training partner, Zabbey described the institution as one of the foremost maritime training centres in the country.
“This partnership has delivered high-quality results today, and we intend to expand it as we intensify efforts to provide sustainable alternative livelihoods for the Ogoni people,” he said.
He expressed confidence in Ogoni youths as drivers of unity, peace, and progress, noting their resilience and commitment to peace in the area. He reaffirmed HYPREP’s commitment to supporting the aspirations of youths and women in Ogoniland.
The Project Coordinator likened knowledge and certificates to fuel in a vehicle, stressing that they are meant to propel the graduates toward greater heights.
“We hear your voices calling for restoration, and today, environmental and livelihood restoration are gradually unfolding before your eyes, bringing renewed hope. We continue to lay brick upon brick, building pillars of Ogoni development, as evidenced by the Centre of Excellence for Environmental Restoration (CEER), which is 93 per cent completed,” he added.
He emphasised that HYPREP’s approach integrates all projects and interventions toward achieving environmental sustainability and long-term development in Ogoniland.
Also speaking, the HYPREP Project Support Lead and Representative of Renaissance Africa Energy Company Limited, Engr. Ehioze Igbinomwahia, said the graduates had gained not only technical maritime skills but also discipline, resilience, and confidence to compete globally.
He described their graduation as the beginning of a new journey and noted that the UNEP Report emphasised that environmental restoration must be complemented by sustainable livelihoods, capacity building, and youth empowerment.
“Without empowering people, restoration cannot be complete. Programmes such as this maritime training represent practical steps toward creating employment pathways, dignity, and long-term community stability,” he said.
Engr. Igbinomwahia added that Renaissance Africa Energy Company Limited remains committed to supporting environmental recovery, human capacity development, and sustainable economic opportunities in Ogoniland and the wider Niger Delta.
Highlighting the importance of discipline and safety, he urged the graduates to be ambassadors of professionalism and integrity.
“The sea you are about to enter is vast and sometimes challenging, but it is also full of opportunity. Let discipline guide your actions, let safety remain your constant companion, and let your character speak for you wherever you go,” he advised.
Similarly, the Executive Director of Training and Strategic Planning at Charkin Maritime Academy, Captain Joseph Awodeha, who represented the Chairman, Dr. Charles Wami, emphasised discipline and safety as critical to career success in the maritime sector.
The Head of the Seafaring Department, Captain Jonathan Hammond, urged the graduates to remain humble and disciplined, noting that such virtues are essential for career growth.
In his remarks, the Principal Consultant of DCL Consulting Firm, Barrister Dornu Baridan, commended the beneficiaries for successfully scaling through the
rigorous selection process and completing their training as seafarers.
Nation
Nigerian Society of Engineers Inaugurates 14-Member Executives In Rivers”
The Nigerian Society of Engineers, Port Harcourt Branch, Rivers State, has elected 14 member executives to lead the organization for the 2025/2026 year. Engr. Belema Fubara Ekine, FNSE, is the 23rd chairman.
The inauguration ceremony, held at the Engr. Ishmael A. Branch Secretariat, 3 Benard Carr Street (Waterworks Yard), Port Harcourt, attracted members of the engineering profession from within and outside the state.
Other elected executives include:
Engr. Samuel H. Kwelle, MNSE – Vice Chairman
Engr. Dr. Promise Jumbo, FNSE – General Secretary
Engr. Priye P. K. Lawson, MNSE – Assistant Secretary
Engr. Patrick O. Udegbunam, MNSE – Treasurer.
Others are Engr. Hilda D. Batubo, MNSE – Financial Secretary
Engr. Bowei M. Dauseighe, MNSE – Technical Secretary
Engr. Charles O. Okwakpam, MNSE – Assistant Technical Secretary
Engr. Agnes Komolafe, MNSE – Membership Secretary
Engr. Dike N. Livingstone, MNSE – Publicity Secretary
Also elected are Engr. Ayebaye Daniel Wanatoi, MNSE – Welfare Secretary
Engr. Oribiokpomari I. Comfort, MNSE – Internal Auditor
Engr. Dr. Idaeresoari Harriet Ateke, FNSE – Immediate Past Chairman
Engr Dr Hachimenum Amadi, FNSE (Ex-Officio)
In his a goodwill message, the Secretary to the Rivers State Government, Hon. Frederick Anabraba, urged the new executive to maintain high ethical standards and move the association forward.
In his acceptance speech, the newly elected chairman, Engr. Belema Fubara Ekine, FNSE, promised an inclusive administration and teamwork, focusing on collaboration with stakeholders. He had begun building partnerships with Rivers State University and the University of Port Harcourt.
The highlight was the inauguration lecture, “Engineering Solution for Security, Energy Access and Sustainable Development,” delivered by Engr. Victor Bandele, Deputy Managing Director, Deepwater Assets, TotalEnergies EP Nigeria Limited.
-
Politics3 days agoAPC Releases Adjusted Timetable For Nationwide Congresses, Convention
-
Business3 days agoCustoms Seek Support To Curb Smuggling In Ogun
-
Sports3 days ago
DG NIS Wants NSC Board Constituted, Seeks Increased In Funding
-
Sports3 days agoSWAN Rivers Set-up Five Functional Committees
-
News3 days ago
Police Bust Kidnapping Syndicate In PH
-
Featured3 days agoINEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
-
Sports3 days ago
‘NTF Will Build On Davis Cup Success For Brighter Future’
-
Sports3 days ago
NSC Disburses N200m Training Grants To 26 Athletes
