Nation
THE STATES
Bauchi
The Federal Roads Safety Commission (FRSC) in Bauchi
State has confirmed that four people
died in auto crash at Gubi village on Bauchi-Kano Road last Tuesday.
Mr Henry Olatunji, the state Sector Commander, told our
correspondnet in Bauchi that the accident, involving two vehicles, occurred in
the morning.
He said that a Honda Accord car with registration AE108 MSA
and a Peugeot J5 with number SA 804 DKU collided, adding that the collision
resulted in fire, which led to the death of the passengers.
Olatunji said that the passengers were burnt beyond
recognition.
He noted that five
other passengers sustained injuries and that both the dead and the injured ones
were taken to the Abubakar Tafawa Balewa Teaching Hospital, Bauchi.
Benue
A community leader at Ochama in Okpokwu Local Government
area of Benue State, Mr Joseph Aba, has appealed to the state government to
provide relief materials to victims of the flood disaster in the area.
Aba, in a statement
made available to The Tide in Makurdi, appealed to the State Emergency
Management Agency (SEMA) and National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) to
send the relief materials urgently to the victims of the disaster.
The statement claimed that hundreds of houses and farm lands
were swept away by flood, adding that Madikpo clan was the most affected area.
The statement also noted that most children in the area had
been exposed to cold and were sleeping in the open alongside their parents due
to the lack of shelter.
FCT
The Minister of Information, Mr Labaran Maku, last Tuesday
called on the media to play active roles in Nigeria’s transformation by paying
more attention to developmental issues.
Maku made the call in Abuja at an interactive session with
journalists on the forthcoming good governance tour, jointly organised by the
ministry and the Nigeria Union of Journalists.
He urged
journalists to desist from overheating the polity through their reportage of
the impending 2015 elections, and urged them to use the opportunity of the
forthcoming tour to redirect the focus of their reports and features to
developmental issues.
Maku said that the nation would benefit more if journalists
and media organisations re-examined the direction and philosophy of their
operations.
The minister said the tour would be unique in approach,
content and composition, adding that other stakeholders, apart from the media,
had been incorporated to give the exercise the desired credibility.
Jos
The Minister of Environment, Hajia Hadiza Mailafia, has said
in Jos that the Federal Government had commenced assessment of areas hit by the
flood that swept through many states of the federation.
The minister disclosed this when she led a team, constituted
to carry out the assessment, on a courtesy call on Governor Jonah Jang of Plateau State.
According to the minister, the team is expected to tour all
states affected by the disaster and, recommend ways to assist the victims and
to avoid a recurrence, pointing out that the team was in the state to see the
level of devastation caused there and to make recommendations to the
government.
“Over the last few months there had been series of flooding
across the country, including Plateau. We hope to recommend and implement
stringent measures to end the trend.
Kaduna
The National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) on
Tuesday awarded the Kaduna State Commissioner for Environment and Natural
Resources, Mr Zakaria Shamaki, the ‘Best Performing Commissioner in Nigeria
2012’ award.
Presenting the award in Kaduna, Mr Kolawole Olaoluwa, the
President of the association, said that the honour was in recognition of the
commissioner’s commitment to education in the state.
Olaoluwa remarked that Shamaki’s contribution towards
promoting best environmental practice earned him the “National Merit Award of
the Nigerian Students’’.
Katsina
The Community-Based Agricultural and Rural Development
Programme (CBARDP) has received N2.1 billion of the N2.7 billion approved
budget for the 2012 projects implementation, Alhaji, Abu Kankia, the National
Programme Coordinator, has disclosed.
Kankia told The
Tide in Katsina that the money was received from the International Fund for
Agricultural Development (IFAD), the major financier of the programme, as well
as the participating states and local governments.
The money, he said, covered the period January to August
2012 and represented 78 per cent financial performance.
He spoke on the sidelines of the 16th Supervision Mission of
the programme led by the IFAD Country Programme Manager, Ms Atsuko Toda, with
other IFAD and Federal Government officials, IFAD consultants and
journalists as members of the team.
Kebbi
The Kebbi State Command of Nigerian Immigration Service
(NIS) has concluded arrangements to deport 70 suspected illegal immigrants, the
Comptroller, Alhaji Sule Momoh, said.
Momoh told our correspondent
in Birnin Kebbi that the immigrants were arrested during routine checks.
He said the arrests
indicated an increase of entry by illegal immigrants into the state from
neighbouring countries, namely Niger Republic and Republic of Benin.
“The apprehended immigrants had no legal documents that
would guarantee them to conveniently stay within Nigeria.
“But we would expand our vigilance and deport such illegal
immigrants,” Momoh stressed.
Kogi
Displaced residents of Lokoja and its environs in Kogi State
have appealed to the state government for assistance as flood continued to
ravage the areas.
The victims, in
separate interviews with our correspondent in Lokoja, pleaded with the
government to urgently provide temporary accommodation for them.
The appeal followed the flooding of houses on the banks of
the River Niger, which had displaced hundreds of people, including women and
children.
Our correspondent who visited the affected areas, observed
that the river had overflowed its banks, submerging houses and washing away
property worth millions of naira.
Kwara
A bill to establish Kwara State Urban Regional Planning
Board has scaled through first reading at the House of Assembly.
Majority Leader Abdulkareem AbdulGaniyu moved the motion for the first reading of the bill,
while Hajiya Raliat Aremu Adifa, the member representing Lanwa-Ejidongari
constituency, seconded the motion.
Speaker Rasaz Atunwa
directed the House Committees on Land and Housing and Business Rules to work on
the bill to ensure proper passage.
Meanwhile, the
Assembly has rejected the report of its Committee on Lands, Housing and Urban
Development on a petition written by Atari community in Offa over the taking
over of their parcel of land.
Lagos
Wife of Lagos State governor, Mrs Abimbola Fashola, has said
3,500 students participated in the 2012 summer school programme, organised by
Lagos Empowerment and Resource Network (LEARN), her initiative.
Speaking at the closing ceremony last Tuesday, Fashola said
the students were taught core subjects, vocational skills and recreation,
adding that the programme took place in seven centres in Agidingbi, Ketu,
Ibeju-Lekki, Mushin, Surulere, Egbeda and Ojo.
“Five years ago, when we initiated this programme, our
objective was to engage students positively during the long summer vacation. It
was to first and foremost make them responsible and secondly, keep them safe
and from the streets.
Nasarawa
Five officers of the Nigeria Police Force in Nasarawa State
Police Command have been promoted to the rank of Assistant Commissioners of
Police.
The Tide reports that the officers, Umar Mohammed,
Tarfa Ibrahim, Monday Bala-Kurya, Mohammed Bosso-Barje and Aliyu Haruna, were
promoted for being hard-working and committed to duty.
Mr Micheal Zuokumor, the AIG in-charge of Zone 4, decorated
the officers at a brief ceremony at the police officers’ mess in Lafia.
Decorating the officers, Zuokumor said the promotion was part of the
Inspector-General of Police’s on-going reforms in the force, adding that the
gesture would serve as motivation for better performance.
Ogun
The Ogun State
government says it had spent N783.1
million on the construction of flyover bridge at Ibara roundabout in
Abeokuta. The Permanent Secretary,
Ministry of Works, Mr Kayode Ademolake, disclosed this during an oversight
visit to the ministry by the State House of Assembly Committee on Housing and
Infrastructure.
Ademolake, who put the total cost of the project at N1.5
billion, said that the government had released N783.1 million, adding that the bridge construction in Amolaso in
Abeokuta South Local Government area was 60 per cent completed, while the state government had released N60.5
million out of the N89.5 million cost of the project.
“I also want you to know that the cost of the construction
of Quarry-Surulere, Ita-Eko road was N59.1 million. Just as the construction of
Ibara, Ita-Eko, Sokori, Totoro road which is ongoing will cost N1.3 billion,’’
he said.
Oyo
In its effort to reduce the shortage of teachers, the Oyo
State Government has commenced a one- week training for 3,000 YES-O education
cadets in the three senatorial districts.
The cadets, who are graduates of education, will be deployed
to public primary and secondary schools immediately after completing the
training.
Mrs Adetokunbo Fayokun, the Commissioner for Education,
announced the plan in Ibadan at the opening of the training, adding that the
training was aimed at ensuring that the cadets were equipped with requisite
skills and knowledge to function in their places of assignment.
Nation
Youths Vow To Continue Protest Over Dilapidated Highway
Youths from five local government areas in Northern Cross River State have concluded a one-week warning protest and blockade of the dilapidated Ikom-Wula-Obudu federal highway over the weekend.
They have vowed to resume the road blocks if by this week the authorities do not intervene to fix the road.
More than five thousand locals, mostly youths from Obanliku, Etung, Obudu, Ikom and Boki LGAs trooped out everyday for one week, used palm trees to block the highway to draw state and federal government’s attention to their plights, requesting the repair of a road has has been unmotorable for about 40 years.
They warned that if they do not see any actions from the state or federal governments, they will resume their Plan B protest, stop revenue collections and make governance unpalatable.
The youths also warned that without interventions on the road which has claimed several lives, including that of last week when a pregnant woman died with her baby in the full glare of the protesters because of the terrible road, no election can hold in the area next year.
One of the leaders of the No Road , No Election protest, who is also the Abo Youths in Boki LGA, Dr Martins Assam said both the federal and state governments have neglected the region, which generates more than 70 percent state revenue from agriculture.
He said if machinery is not deployed by next week, they will not have any option than to embark on unpalatable and disastrous protest, and stop revenue collections in the area.
“Last week we had only a warning strike for one good week. We’ll embark on a more elaborate, disastrous one-month blockade of this highway until they intervene. We call on our Governor and representatives in the National Assembly to act now by impressing on the federal government to immediately fix this road else. We’re not asking for two much but to be treated as human beings.”
Another protester, Clinton Obi from the Etung axis said, “We’ve been neglected for 40 years. This Ikom-Obudu federal highway had been impassable. The government has removed its concentration from our plights. By this one week protest, we want action on this road otherwise the next phase of protest will be costly.”
Reverend Father Francis Amaozo, priest in charge of St. Nicholas parish in Nashua, Boki LGA said, “I have also been a victim of this very deplorable road. Enough is now enough. We’ve been betrayed by our representatives and other leaders, so that we in this axis have become endangered species on this road. I have lost some many members on this road.”
Member, representing the Boki-Ikom federal constituency of the state in the House of Representatives, Bisong Victor Abang had pleaded with the locals to be a bit more patient with the government as action will commence shortly.
Nation
UNIPORT VC Receives Inaugural Lecture Brochure As Professor Highlights Urgent Need For Drug Repurposing In Malaria Fight
The Vice Chancellor of the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT), Prof Owunari Georgewill, last Thursday received the inaugural lecture brochure from the Inaugural Lecturer, Professor Udeme Georgewill, during a ceremony at the university’s Centre of Excellence attended by academics, researchers, students, and distinguished guests.
Delivering her lecture, Professor Udeme Georgewill described the occasion as the culmination of years of dedicated research, teaching, and service to humanity. He explained that his work as a pharmacologist has consistently focused on finding practical, affordable, and scientifically sound solutions to health challenges that disproportionately affect developing countries, particularly malaria, which remains one of Nigeria’s most pressing public health concerns.
She noted that Nigeria continues to bear one of the heaviest malaria burdens globally, accounting for a significant percentage of worldwide cases and deaths. The disease, largely caused by the Plasmodium falciparum parasite and transmitted through Anopheles mosquitoes, remains especially dangerous for children under five years and pregnant women, threatening not only present populations but unborn generations. Despite years of intervention efforts, malaria continues to strain families, health systems, and the national economy.
Prof Georgewill empha-sised that while Artemisinin-based Combination Therapies such as Artemether-Lumefantrine remain the gold standard for malaria treatment, emerging resistance patterns pose a serious challenge. He explained that drug resistance is a survival mechanism of the parasite, enabling it to adapt and reduce the effectiveness of medications designed to eliminate it. According to her, instances where patients do not feel better after initial treatment sometimes lead to repeated dosing or the search for injectable alternatives, practices that can worsen resistance and complicate treatment outcomes.
Against this backdrop, she advocated strongly for drug repurposing as a strategic and urgent response. Drug repurposing, he explained, involves identifying new therapeutic uses for already approved and widely available medications. He likened the concept to “old wine in new wineskins,” stressing that medicines already proven safe for certain conditions can be carefully re-evaluated and optimised for new roles in malaria management. This approach, she argued, offers advantages such as reduced research timelines, lower development costs, and faster clinical application compared to developing entirely new drugs from scratch.
She disclosed that her research had progressed from laboratory investigations to clinical evaluations, where his team is studying combinations involving Artemether-Lumefantrine and Ivermectin to determine their effectiveness in improving treatment outcomes and possibly reducing transmission. Clinical trials are ongoing, and findings will be communicated upon completion of regulatory processes. However, he cautioned strongly against self-medication, warning that misuse of drugs without proper diagnosis and prescription can lead to organ damage, treatment failure, and increased resistance.
Referencing global health commitments, Prof Georgewill highlighted Sustainable Development Goal 3.3, which seeks to end epidemics of malaria and other major infectious diseases by 2030. She questioned whether the goal remains attainable under current realities, especially with growing resistance and funding gaps. He also referred to strategies of the World Health Organisation aimed at drastically reducing malaria incidence and mortality while pushing toward elimination in several countries.
Looking ahead, she revealed that her team is building comprehensive research databases to support artificial intelligence-driven drug repurposing. He stressed that the integration of artificial intelligence, molecular docking, and advanced screening technologies is transforming global drug discovery, and Nigerian researchers must be equipped to participate competitively in this evolving scientific landscape.
In her recommendations, she called for the establishment of a National Centre for Drug Repurposing to coordinate research efforts and leverage artificial intelligence in identifying new indications for existing medicines. He urged policymakers to simplify and accelerate the translation of laboratory discoveries into clinical application, ensuring that scientific breakthroughs benefit the public more efficiently. She also appealed to the university and relevant authorities to increase funding and modernise laboratory infrastructure, including high-throughput screening facilities, to strengthen Nigeria’s position in global biomedical research.
The lecture concluded with expressions of gratitude to God, the university leadership, colleagues, students, and guests, as the event underscored the University of Port Harcourt’s commitment to research excellence and its role in addressing critical public health challenges facing Nigeria and the wider world.
Nation
Niger CAN Rejects Proposed Hisbah Bill, Urges Gov Bago Not To Assent
The Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, Niger State Chapter, has rejected the proposed Niger State Hisbah Directorates Bill, describing it as controversial and capable of deepening religious division in the state.
In a statement signed by the State Chairman, Bishop Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, and made available to The Tide’s source yesterday, the association urged Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago not to assent to the bill if it is passed by the State House of Assembly.
The bill, sponsored by the member representing Chanchaga Constituency, Hon. Mohammed Abubakar, seeks to establish a Hisbah Directorate in Niger State.
CAN warned that the legislation could be perceived as discriminatory against Christians and may heighten tension in the religiously diverse state.
“Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago, we, the entire Christendom in the state, wish to draw your attention to what could easily create division among the people you govern,” the statement read in part.
The association questioned the necessity and benefits of the proposed law, asking what economic or social value it would add to the state.
It further argued that existing security agencies, including the Nigeria Police and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, already have constitutional mandates to maintain law and order.
The Christian body also faulted the legislative process, disputing claims that it was consulted during a public hearing on the bill.
It insisted that it was neither invited nor notified of any such engagement, despite being a critical stakeholder in the state.
-
Sports3 days ago2026 WC: Nigeria, DR Congo Awaits FIFA Verdict Today
-
Politics3 days ago
ADC, PDP, LP Missing As INEC Set For By- Elections In Rivers
-
Environment3 days agoOxfam, partners celebrate 5 years of climate governance programmes in Nigeria
-
Politics3 days ago
FG’s Economic Policies Not Working – APC Chieftain
-
Politics3 days ago2027: Diri Unveils RHA LG Coordinators, APC Congress Panel
-
Politics3 days agoReps To Meet,’Morrow Over INEC’s 2027 Election Timetable
-
Politics3 days agoGroup Continues Push For Real Time Election Results Transmission
-
Sports3 days ago
Sunderland Overcome Oxford Challenge
