Nation
THE STATES
Gombe
Kwami Local Government Council of Gombe State says it will plant one million different varieties of drought-resistant trees in each of the 10 wards of the local government.
Alhaji Ya’u Marafa, Chairman of council disclosed this in an interview in Kwami last Monday.
Marafa who spoke through his Personal Assistant, Alhaji Adamu Usman, said the decision to plant the trees was to guard against environmental challenges such as windstorms.
“As a permanent measure, the local government intends to plant one million seedlings – different varieties of drought-resistant trees, at least not less than 100 seedlings in each of the 10 wards of the local government.’’
A heavy windstorm destroyed houses, mosques and many public infrastructures in Mallam Sidi village, the headquarters of local government area a fortnight ago.
At least 200 houses were reportedly destroyed by the windstorm which also damaged shops and blew off the roof of the NYSC orientation camp.
He said the trees, which would be planted in three phases – in May, June and July – would serve as wind breakers.
Jigawa
Jigawa State Ministry of Education has banned the use of mobile phones by students in secondary schools across the state.
Prof. Haruna Wakili, the state Commissioner for Education, announced this on Monday at a meeting with Principals and Zonal Directors of Education at the Government Unity Secondary School, Ringim.
The commissioner also announced a ban on the use of vernacular during school hours.
Wakili charged principals to ensure compliance with the ban by their students at all time.
He said that any student found using mobile phone or speaking the mother-tongue should be sanctioned by the school authority.
Wakili said the introduction of French language and entrepreneurship subjects had also posed challenges to the education sector.
Earlier in a welcome address, the Permanent Secretary in the ministry, Malam Abdullahi Hudu, expressed satisfaction with the turn out of the principals at the meeting.
In his remarks the, the Chairman of the state chapter of All Nigeria Principals of Secondary Schools Conference, Malam Hussaini Abdullahi, commended the ministry for the decisions.
Kaduna
Malam Garba Ibrahim, the Chairman of National Union of Local Government Employees (NULGE) in Kudan Local Government of Kaduna State, Malam Garba Ibrahim has called for the separation of local government and state joint accounts for accountability.
Ibrahim made the call in an interview with our correspondent at Hunkuyi, the headquarters of the local government.
He said the joint account was not in line with the wishes and aspirations of the people as majority of the people were not happy with the way local government funds were being managed through the joint account.
“There is no autonomy in project execution because people have no right to request from their chairmen the kind of projects they need.
“Projects are supposed to be in line with needs and aspirations of beneficiaries; however, the state governors decide whatever they like for the people,’’ Ibrahim said.
He said when such joint account was separated, there would be proper accountability because each chairman would be accountable for the money allocated to his council.
Kogi
Governor Idris Wada of Kogi State has pledge his administration’ s resolve to ensure good governance by adhering to the principle of separation of powers and rule of law.
Wada made the pledge on Monday at the official inauguration of the newly constructed Judicial Service Commission (JSC)Secretariat extension in Lokoja.
The governor said he would not interfere in the affairs of other arms of government as they are equal partners.
“I will do my best to accord respect to the three arms. I will be a law-abiding governor.”
Wada commended the Chief Judge, Justice Nasiru Ajanah, for taking the state judiciary to greater heights in the administration of justice and provision of infrastructure.
He assured that things would soon change for better in all sectors of the state’s economy as his administration was doing all it could to improve the financial position of the state.
Speaking earlier, the Chief Judge described the JSC as the “Engine room” of the Judiciary as it is saddled with the responsibility of appointments and recommendations for appointment of High Court Judges.
Kwara
A suspect awaiting trial, Stephen Okon, has expressed disappointment with members of his family for their failure to pursue his bail since he was arrested a year ago.
Okon was pardoned on Friday by the Kwara Criminal Justice Committee in Ilorin.
Okon, awaiting trial since March 17, 2011, told our source that he was punished for offences he knew nothing about.
Our source reports that the accused was arraigned for alleged mischief by fire and causing grievous hurt, before he was released by the committee headed by Kwara Chief Judge, Justice Raliat Elelu-Habeeb.
Okon, a father of two, was alleged to have burnt a shop beside his own at Eyenkorin, where he sold petrol as a black marketer.
The accused, according to the police prosecutor in the case, Insp. Abdulkareem Jimoh, was not caught in the act, but was arrested on suspicion that there was an impending misunderstanding between him and the owner of the burnt shop.
The pardoned inmate, who claimed to have his nuclear family in Ibadan and a brother in Sierra Leone, told newsmen after he was released that he was shocked that none of his family members bothered to secure him bail.
“I’m very disappointed in my family because this is the first time I would be arrested by the police and nobody showed up.
“I prayed to God to save me and my family because I’m a family man. I have two children and a wife. They are in Ibadan.
“I have not been detained like this before. This is the first time I would have a case with police and I ended up in prison”, he said.
He explained that a friend who was coming from Rivers to secure his bail was involved in an accident in which he broke his leg.
“He has been in the hospital for more than four months now. When I communicated with him, he told me that his situation could not allow him to pursue my freedom”, Okon said.
Lagos
The Chief Executive, of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), Ahmadu Giade, on Tuesday in Lagos advised members of the public to shun the temptation of raising money from illicit drugs.
He said this was necessary in order to avoid problems as the long arm of the law would not spare any offender when caught.
Giade was reacting to the agency’s arrest of a 43-year-old trader.
The trader was arrested for allegedly being in possession of substances suspected to be heroin and weighing 500 grammes, and said to be worth N2 million.
“It is morally wrong for anyone to turn to drug trafficking as a means of getting capital to start business.
“The agency will continue to invoke relevant sections of the NDLEA Act against offenders,’’ Giade said.
He said it was worrisome that the suspect actually invested the sum of N 2 million in the ill-fated illicit drug transaction.
“It would have been better for him to have put his money into something that will be legitimate and more profitable than this kind of illegal business.
“I urge others that may be having such thoughts or plans to have a re-think,’’ Giade said.
Nasarawa
The Nasarawa State Police Command has confirmed an attack on its mobile base in Akwanga by unknown gunmen in which one corporal was shot dead.
The command’s Public Relations Officer, Mr Cornelius Ocholi , told newsmen on Monday in Lafia that the incident took place on Sunday night.
Ocholi said that the gunmen, whose numbers could not be ascertained, stormed the Mobile Police 38 Base in Akwanga through a bush path at about 1: 00 a.m. and started shooting sporadically.
He said that policemen on duty quickly responded by engaging the attackers in a gun battle which resulted in the death of one officer whose name Ocholi gave as CPL. Madaki Yusuf.
The police spokesman explained that the late officer was hit by a bullet during the gun battle and all efforts to save him by medical personnel at the Ola Hospital in Akwanga failed.
He said that normalcy had been restored in the area saying, “the Squadron Commander,CSP. Reuben Abibo, has put men on alert at the base.
“Even the state’s Police Commissioner, Mr Abayomi Akeremale, is on his way to Akwanga now to assess the situation. ’’
Taraba
Governor Danbaba Suntai of Taraba State has imposed a dusk-to-dawn curfew in the state with immediate effect.
The governor announced the curfew on Monday evening after visiting the Ministry of Finance in Jalingo, scene of an explosion in which 11 people were killed and scores injured.
Suntai said the curfew, which will be on from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. everyday, would be in force until further notice.
Our correspondent reports that law enforcement agencies in the state have been directed to ensure strict compliance with the curfew.
The governor condemned the blast and expressed condolence to the bereaved.
He also visited the Federal Medical Centre, Jalingo, where he expressed sympathy with the victims receiving treatment there.
He said the government would pay all their hospital bills and directed the management of the hospital to forward bills to the Government House for payment.
He said that government and other law enforcement agencies were on red alert to stop further loss of lives and property.
Nation
RSU, Otonti Nduka Foundation Holds Centenary Conference, Unveil Book on Values in Nigeria
Rivers State University and the Otonti Nduka Foundation for Values Education jointly hosted a two-day National Conference on 8 and 9 May 2026 to examine the state of values in Nigeria.
The two days conference held at Rivers State University convocation arena brought together academics, policymakers, legal experts and education leaders under the theme _“Trends and Challenges in Upholding Values in Nigeria.”_
The gathering focused on policy gaps, curriculum reform, and the role of ethics in public service and education.
The event opened on Friday with remarks from Vice Chancellor Prof. Chief Isaac Zeb-Obipi, who stressed the need to address declining moral and civic values across Nigeria’s education and public sectors. A book of abstracts for the plenary sessions was also presented to participants.
Key speakers included former Attorney General Chief Dr Kanu Agabi, SAN; NERDC Executive Secretary Prof. Shehu Salisu; Prof. Hauwa Imam, FNAE, of the University of Abuja; former Rivers SUBEB Chairman Ven Dr Fyneface Akah, ; former NIMASA DG Dr Hon. Dakuku Adol-Peterside; and RSU Director of ICT Prof. Sunny Orike.
Discussions centered on integrating values education into schools, tertiary institutions and public institutions, alongside the impact of technology on moral development among young Nigerians. Panel and plenary sessions produced practical recommendations for curriculum and policy reform.
On Saturday, the foundation marked its centenary with the unveiling of the book _Otonti Nduka in History_, launched by Chief Engr. Grant Offor, FNSE. The Nigerian Academy of Education held a ceremonial procession led by its President Prof. Olu Jegede and the Ikwerre Professors Forum.
In a communiqué, participants called for stronger collaboration between government, civil society and academia to mainstream values education nationwide. They recommended reviewing teacher training curricula and expanding digital platforms to promote ethical civic engagement, with the foundation pledging to share the outcomes with education authorities for implementation.
Dignitaries present included Ogbakor Ikwerre Worldwide as Chief Host, Prof. Emeritus Chief T. Uzodimma Nwala, the Ikenga 1 of Mbaise and first philosophy student of Prof. Otonti Nduka, alongside scholars and community leaders.
Amadi Akujobi
Nation
Shell, MAN Back Rivers’ Drive for Expanded Gas Supply to Industries
The Shell Nigeria Gas Limited, in partnership with the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria, has reaffirmed support for efforts to expand gas distribution infrastructure in Rivers State as part of initiatives aimed at improving access to affordable, cleaner and more reliable energy for industries across the South-South region.
The commitment was highlighted during the SNG–MAN Business Forum held in Port Harcourt, where stakeholders from the industrial and public sectors examined the role of natural gas in driving industrialisation, boosting local production and strengthening energy security.
Speaking at the forum on behalf of the Managing Director of Shell Nigeria Gas Limited, the company’s Head of Gas Distribution, Mr. Chukwuka Amos Ejesi, described natural gas as a critical component of Nigeria’s energy mix and a key driver of sustainable industrial growth.
According to him, Nigeria’s gas development agenda has reached a stage where policy direction must be matched with practical implementation capable of addressing the energy challenges confronting manufacturers.
He noted that pipeline gas offers industries a cleaner, more dependable and cost-effective energy alternative capable of supporting uninterrupted operations, reducing emissions and improving production efficiency.
“Gas is the backbone of manufacturing, and we are encouraged by the growing recognition among stakeholders of the need for cleaner and more reliable energy solutions,” he said.
Ejesi stressed the need for sustained collaboration among energy providers, government institutions and industrial stakeholders to maximise the country’s gas resources for economic development.
He added that improved gas infrastructure would strengthen manufacturing value chains, enhance productivity and promote more competitive industrial operations across Rivers State and the wider South-South region.
Participants at the forum also emphasised the importance of expanding energy infrastructure as a pathway to unlocking industrial capacity, reducing operating costs and promoting sustainable industrial development.
Representing Governor Siminalayi Fubara, the Director-General of the Rivers State Investment Promotion Agency, Dr. Chamberlain Peterside, reaffirmed the state government’s commitment to partnering with private sector investors to revitalise industrial activities in the state.
He identified key projects targeted under the initiative to include the revival of the Ahoada Industrial Park, the New Port City project and the proposed Bonny Industrial Park, all aimed at stimulating economic growth and expanding industrial opportunities along the Bonny corridor.
According to the governor, the long-term vision is to position Rivers State as a leading manufacturing hub in Southern Nigeria through strategic public-private partnerships.
Governor Fubara also commended Shell Nigeria Gas and MAN for sustaining engagements geared towards improving industrial energy access, noting that gas infrastructure development remains central to the state’s economic recovery plans.
He further observed that the gas sector presents enormous opportunities for economic growth, especially as global energy systems continue to shift towards cleaner energy sources.
The governor called on stakeholders to work collectively towards developing a practical and sustainable gas framework capable of supporting the state’s industrial and energy development objectives.
Chairman of MAN, Rivers and Bayelsa Branch, Elder Vincent Okuku, described gas as indispensable to industrial operations, noting that many manufacturers continue to struggle with the high cost of alternative energy sources.
Similarly, President of the Port Harcourt Chamber of Commerce, Industry, Mines and Agriculture, Dr. Chinyere Ngozi Nwoga, said the transition to natural gas had become increasingly necessary for businesses seeking stable and cost-efficient operations.
“Pipeline natural gas provides a more cost-effective and reliable source of energy for industries,” she stated.
Also speaking, former Chairman of MAN in Rivers and Bayelsa States, Mrs. Emilia Akpan, stressed the need to align energy infrastructure development with investment in human capacity.
She maintained that rebuilding the state’s economy would require not only reliable energy supply but also the development of technical skills needed to support long-term industrial growth.
By Kevin Nengia
Nation
City Boy Movement Hails Onyesoh’s APC Primary Win
The City Boy Movement in Etche Local Government Area of Rivers state has commended Senator Allwell Onyesoh on his victory in the APC primary election for Rivers East Senatorial District.
Chairman of the group in Etche, Dr. Fortune Uchenna Obi, spoke to journalists in Okehi Ward after participating in Monday’s direct primary. He described Onyesoh’s emergence as the party’s candidate for the 2027 senatorial election as a reflection of the people’s will.
Dr. Obi said the senator has performed well during his first term and deserves re-election. He also thanked FCT Minister Nyesom Wike, leader of the Renewed Hope Agenda and Rainbow Coalition in Rivers State, for supporting Onyesoh’s candidacy. According to him, Wike’s backing was instrumental to the senator’s nomination, clearance, and victory at the primary.
He further praised voters in Etche and across Rivers East for turning out in large numbers at ward centers and urged them to sustain the support to ensure Onyesoh’s success in the January 2027 general election.
