Connect with us

News

NASS Invassion; IGP Shuns Senate …As APC Urges Probe …Group Plans Mass Action …PDP Warns Jonathan’s Critics

Published

on

Inspector General of Police (IGP) Suleiman Abba yesterday, failed to appear before the Senate as directed by Senate President David Mark.
The IGP was invited to explain the crisis of last week, in which a detachment of the Police clashed with some members of the national assembly, resulting the shooting of tear gas canisters by the Police.
However, the IGP sent a representation which angered the Upper Chamber, insisting that the IGP appeared before it in person.
Meanwhile, the All Progressive congress (APC) has described the police invasion of the National Assembly last Thursday as an equivalent of a coup. The Party has also called for an independent inquiry to determine who ordered the invasion and for what purpose.
The party believes that this will help to prevent a recurrence and also meting out the necessary punishment to those behind the invasion.
In a statement in Lagos yesterday by its National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, the party said using weapons to attack an arm of government and preventing it from carrying out its functions amounted to a coup.
It described the tear gas allegedly fired into the National Assembly by policemen as a chemical weapon.
APC said, “We are demanding the independent inquiry in view of the seriousness of the armed attack on the National Assembly and the danger it poses to our democracy. We are also alerting the international community to the happenings in Nigeria and urging them to show interest because of their investment in the country’s democracy.
“The tepid denial by the Presidency of its involvement in the senseless attack is not enough to stop the finger-pointing at it (Presidency), especially because no one, not even the Inspector General of Police, will have the temerity to stop the nation’s number four citizen from entering the National Assembly without an express order from the President. “This is why we have continuously held President (Goodluck Jonathan) responsible for last week’s show of shame,” the party said.
It noted that the IG was a “tool in the hands of a President that had perhaps done more than any other President before him to truncate the nation’s democracy.”
The statement added, “We make bold to say that President Jonathan has worked assiduously to put Nigeria’s democracy in jeopardy, whether in Rivers, where he backed a misguided Police Commissioner to usurp the constitutional duties of an elected Governor, or in Ekiti State, where he has so far refused to condemn the so-called impeachment of the Speaker by seven Peoples Democratic Party members in a 26-member House of Assembly.
”Also, apart from the half-hearted and belated denial, the President has not condemned the attack on the National Assembly by the police. A President that is conversant with the dictates of the constitution, which he swore an oath to protect, would have gone ahead to make a national broadcast to condemn the police invasion of the Assembly and even promised to get to the root of the matter. “Instead, our President has maintained an undignified silence in the face of the global outcry that has greeted the orchestrated police action,” it added.
The party advised Jonathan to stop “behaving as if he wants to be the last President of a united Nigeria” and to immediately put an end to actions that were inimical to the survival of the country’s democracy.
The party congratulated the members of the National Assembly, especially those who scaled the high gates of the National Assembly, for the sacrifices they had made to defend the nation’s democracy.
It said the lawmakers, by their action, risked their lives for the survival of Nigeria’s democracy, describing them as heroes.
APC added, “The lawmakers, who united across party lines last week to restore the integrity of the House of Representatives and prevent an attempt to truncate our democracy, are heroes, because if they had not done what they did, no one could have imagined the consequences of the orchestrated police action against the National Assembly.
”The Senators, who stormed the House in sympathy and solidarity with their colleagues, including Senate President David Mark, should also be commended by all for resisting tyranny and for facing up to anti-democratic forces,” the party said.
Meanwhile the Peoples Democratic Party said yesterday that it would no longer condone what it described as deliberate, unwarranted and sustained vicious attacks on the person and office of President Goodluck Jonathan by the opposition, the All Progressives Congress.
PDP National Publicity, Chief Olisa Metuh, who stated this in on behalf of the party, insisted that the opposition must end the attack.
He said his party had been watching carefully as members of APC, including its national officers, governors, presidential aspirants continued to castigate the president for no just cause.
“The PDP has been watching carefully as the rank and file of the APC, the governors, party leaders, presidential hopefuls and even sidekicks run amok, competing in a heavily subjective castigation of President Goodluck Jonathan with incendiary utterances, signposting its plans for the dastardly when it loses in next year’s general elections. “However, patriotism, the cardinal value of our great party, indeed, the price of our custodianship of the mandate of over 160 million Nigerians calls for vigilance, maturity and responsibility,  hence our restraints in the face of the naked lies and recklessness of the APC”, he said.
He called on the opposition to learn from its (PDP) political campaigns, which he said were issue-based and  advised the APC on the need to maintain political decorum and primacy of national interest in the build-up to the forthcoming elections.
Metuh however regretted that APC had refused to shed its penchant for lies, deceit, propaganda, violence and blackmail as the center piece of their agenda and message to Nigerians.
While alleging that the aim of the APC was to set the stage for violence, but instill fear in Nigerians, discourage them from actively participating in the electoral process thereby giving room for them to perpetrate all manners of electoral malpractices, he said such ideas would not be bought by Nigerians.
Metuh also claimed that leaders of the APC had while contesting on different platforms in 2011, issued such threats and allegedly went ahead to precipitate an unprecedented electoral violence in which hundreds of innocent Nigerians lost their lives.
About 20 civil society groups have announced plans to mobilise Nigerians for street protests against the spate of insecurity in the country and the  alleged disregard for the law by the Federal Government.
The groups, which formed an alliance called Nigerians for Survival of Democracy, in a press briefing yesterday said they were worried about recent political crisis in the country.
National Coordinator of the alliance, Mr. Raji Rasheed, said the Jonathan administration had failed to convince Nigerians that it was capable of delivering good governance to Nigerians.
He said, “The level of insecurity and terror activities has reached an unprecedented level in the Northeast of the country, after more than 18 months of state of emergency. There are compelling reasons  to doubt the sincerity of this government since, many times, our soldiers on the battlefield have complained of lack of incentives which culminated into chaos and suspicion among the Army hierarchy.
Rasheed, who said the groups would organise protests in all the state capitals on December 4, 2014, called on Nigerians not to be deluded by the promise of a free and fair election in 2015.
He said, “Nigerians should not be deluded that this administration is sincere in delivering a free and fair election in 2015. One only needs to look at the events of the last two years to understand the dangerous and unprecedented level of division, deceit, corruption, anarchy and lawlessness that was either perpetrated or unequivocally supported and promoted by this government. With recent events, we are more than convinced that a free and fair election in 2015 is almost impossible.
“Just as we thought this may never happen, we saw just last few days how the same ruling party in Ekiti State locked out 18 members of the legislative arm and used the remaining seven to impeach the Speaker of the Assembly. The Nigerian Bar Association was quick to condemn this illegality but to us, it is a sign of worst things to come,” he added.

Chief Damian Okolie (right), welcoming the CEO, PHEC, Mr John Abbas (left) to the launch of 26 Leadership Laws Of A Workplace, recently, in Port Harcourt. With them is PHED Chief Financial Officer, Mr Jean Piere Brethon. Photo: Nwiueh Donatus Ken

Chief Damian Okolie (right), welcoming the CEO, PHEC, Mr John Abbas (left) to the launch of 26 Leadership Laws Of A Workplace, recently, in Port Harcourt. With them is PHED Chief Financial Officer, Mr Jean Piere Brethon. Photo: Nwiueh Donatus Ken

Continue Reading

News

Victory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has expressed confidence that the country would win the fight against insecurity.

The President gave the assurance at the Argungu International Fishing Festival in Argungu town, Kebbi State, on Saturday.

He noted that the relative peace currently being enjoyed in Kebbi and neighbouring states was the result of sustained investments in security intelligence, coordination among security agencies, and community engagement.

Tinubu assured farmers and fishermen of sustained federal support to guarantee food security and safety across the country.

“The peace we are witnessing today is not accidental. It is the outcome of deliberate and sustained efforts. I assure you that the fight against banditry, insurgency, and insecurity will be won.

“Our farmers, fishermen, traders, and families will go about their lawful activities without fear,” he assured.

The President commended the organisers of the festival for sustaining the cultural event for decades, noting that it had endured for 83 years despite social and security challenges.

Describing the Argungu festival as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence, Tinubu stated that it reflects the richness of the country’s culture and the opportunities to harness its natural and human resources for national growth.

He said, “Today, this festival stands as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence among our people.

“It reflects the richness of our culture, the strength of our traditions, and the opportunities inherent in harnessing our natural and human resources for national development.”

The President was received by a large crowd of residents, traditional rulers, fishermen, tourists, and government officials from across the country.

The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to youth and women empowerment, irrigation development, rural electrification, and agricultural productivity.

Earlier, the Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, said his administration was determined to elevate the Argungu Fishing Festival to full international standards while pursuing aggressive development across critical sectors of the state.

Continue Reading

News

US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day

Published

on

The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.

The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.

“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.

According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.

The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.

In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.

Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.

Continue Reading

News

Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role

Published

on

United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.

Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.

The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.

“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.

The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.

Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.

The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.

In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.

“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.

Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.

He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.

Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.

 

Continue Reading

Trending