Business
Oando Close To Seal Conoco Deal
Nigerian oil firm Oando is close to securing funds to buy ConocoPhillips’ Nigerian assets, the company’s chief executive said on Wednesday, as he looked to allay fears it is struggling to raise finance for the $1.79 billion deal.
Wale Tinubu told Reuters in an interview in Lagos that the firm, having already raised the additional equity needed in February with a rights issue, now also has agreed in principle the necessary debt.
Oando has been looking for the past year to finance its transformation from a marketer of refined petroleum products into an upstream firm focused on oil and gas exploration and production.
The deal to acquire Conoco’s fields, that were producing around 43,000 barrels of oil per day last year and have proven reserves of 213 million barrels of oil equivalent, is scheduled to close by mid-2013.
But analysts have questioned whether Oando can persuade investors to deliver the funds.
“We’re confident in our ability to raise finance,” Tinubu said. “Because we have a diverse group, we’ve been able to raise equity from our shareholders and extract value from parts of our business to reinvest in the upstream.”
Tinubu also said that in reality the deal would only cost Oando around $1.5bn, not the $1.79bn headline figure. He declined to explain the discrepancy, but a source close to the deal said this was because of a net positive cash flow from the assets of $200-$300m.
He said of the $1.5bn cost around $725m would come from debt.
“The debt is already arranged,” he said, but he declined to name banks involved and said some details remained to be worked out. Banking sources say the debt will be in the form of a syndicated loan of international and Nigerian banks.
Tinubu said once Oando had completed its acquisitions, the upstream business would account for about three quarters of its assets, against 40 per cent now.
The ConocoPhillips deal is the latest of several sales of Nigerian onshore assets made by foreign oil companies and Brazil’s Petrobras is now looking to sell $5bn of assets.
“We would certainly be interested in considering it,” Tinubu said when asked if Oando was interested in buying some of the Petrobas interests.
“We know we will be approached by them,” he added.
Political pressure from a government keen to have more indigenous firms operating fields plus rampant oil theft by armed gangs hacking into pipelines and potential liabilities from damaging oil spills have encouraged some foreign firms to slowly move out of onshore oil production.
But other firms like Britain’s Afren and Nigerian firms like Seplat and Conoil are moving in, creating competition for Oando.
Business
Two Federal Agencies Enter Pack On Expansion, Sustainable Electricity In Niger Delta
Business
Why The AI Boom May Extend The Reign Of Natural Gas
Business
Ogun To Join Oil-Producing States ……..As NNPCL Kicks Off Commercial Oil Production At Eba
-
Sports2 days ago2026 WC: Nigeria, DR Congo Awaits FIFA Verdict Today
-
Sports5 days ago
DG NIS Wants NSC Board Constituted, Seeks Increased In Funding
-
Featured5 days agoINEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
-
Sports5 days agoSWAN Rivers Set-up Five Functional Committees
-
Sports5 days ago
NSC Disburses N200m Training Grants To 26 Athletes
-
Sports5 days ago
‘NTF Will Build On Davis Cup Success For Brighter Future’
-
News5 days ago
Police Bust Kidnapping Syndicate In PH
-
News5 days agoFubara Tasks Nigeria’s Surveyor-General On C of O …Says Surveyors’ Role Pivotal In Governance
