Connect with us

Nation

THE STATES

Published

on

Borno

The Shehu of Borno, Alhaji Abubakar Ibn Garbai, has
appealed to Yola Electricity Distribution Company Plc (YOEDC) to restore power supply to Maiduguri and end the hardship being faced by residents.
He made the call when he received the Manager of YOEDC, Hajiya Zainab Hassan, in his palace in Maiduguri.
Electricity supply to Maiduguri had been paralyzed since May 13, following suspected Boko Haram terrorists’ attacks on the Damboa Power line.
The Shehu said that the continued blackout in the state had crippled economic and social lives.
He added that, “we are appealing to the authorities concerned to please restore electricity supply to the state capital as soon as possible.

Gombe

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA),
said it arrested 60 drug suspects and seized 434.53 kg of hard drugs in Gombe State from January till date.
NDLEA State Commandant, Mr Aliyu Adole,disclosed this  in Gombe State in an interview with newsmen recently.
“We have arrested 60 people within this short period and we removed from circulation 434.53 kg of drugs.
“Out of these numbers of suspects, we got 27 convictions and 34 pending cases at the Federal High Court, Gombe,” he said.
Adole said that currently, four suspects are in the cell awaiting prosecution at the same Federal High Court.
According to him, the agency succeeded in establishing five area commands in the state.
“We have moved to interior settlements where drugs are being planted to ensure that we are able to reduce the business to the barest minimum.’’

Jigawa

The Jigawa State Commissioner of Police, Mr Mohammed
Mustapha, said 1,201 officers and men of the command had been promoted to various ranks.
Mustapha disclosed this while decorating the newly promoted officers in Dutse.
He said 11 Deputy Superintendants of Police (DSP) were promoted to Superintendents of Police (SP) and 27 Inspectors were now Assistant Superintendents of Police.
Others were 782 Corporals promoted to Sergents and 381 Police Constables elevated to Corporals, while the promotion result of Sergents to Inspectors was being awaited.

Kaduna

An agrochemical company, Vicampro Farms Ltd., has
called on the Federal Government to invest in mechanised farming to diversify the nation’s economy.
The Secretary and Legal Adviser of the company, Mrs Adediran Adeola, told newsmen in Kaduna that agriculture had gone beyond the use of hoes and cutlasses.
She advised government to invest hugely in mechanised agriculture by deploying modern techniques, to make a meaningful impact in the sector.
According to her, the country will exploit the full benefits of the sector if mechanised farming replaced the subsistence type of agriculture done with hoes and cutlasses.
“I am glad that the government and other state governments noted that agriculture is an untapped goldmine with huge potential for revenue generation and foreign exchange.
Kogi

The wife of Governor Yahaya Bello of Kogi State, Mrs
Rasheedat Bello, has organised free genotype screening for youths in Kogi State to assist them in tackling the dangers of sickle-cell anemia in marriages.
The screening was done at Crowther Memorial College in Lokoja recetly.
Mrs Bello said her pet-project, KOWYEF, in collaboration with office of the wife of the President, Mrs Aisha Buhari, organised the programme to celebrate the world sickle-cell day.
She appealed to the youth to know their genotypes before going into marriage, because sickle cell is an unavoidable disease in couples with wrong genotypes.
Kwara

Administrative activities at the Irepodun Local
Government Area of Kwara State  have been grounded as the sit-at-home embarked upon by the workers entered its third week.
Our correspondent gathered that the workers had joined their counterpart in other 15 councils across the state to demand payment of their outstanding salaries.
The gate to the council secretariat in Omu-Aran remained under lock and key when our correspondent  visited.
The directive for the sit-at-home was said to have emanated from the state chapter of Nigeria Union of Local Government Employees (NULGE).
The development had adversely affected some applicants seeking to obtain vital official documents from the council.
Some of the applicants, who are mostly youths, were seen lamenting their difficulties outside the council secretariat.

Lagos

As countries of the world marked this year’s World
Refugees Day on Monday, the United State Government has announced its plan to host Leaders Summit  in Refugees on September, recently.
The U.S. Secretary of State, Mr John Kerry, who announced the plan in a statement, expressed his government’s commitment to finding a lasting solution to the problems currently being faced by refugees.
According to the statement, during the summit, the U.S. will ask nations to make concrete commitments toward expanding the humanitarian safety net and creating more long-term durable opportunities for refugees.
“This year’s commemoration comes at a time when brutal conflicts are forcing record numbers of innocent people to flee and challenging the world to find better ways to protect them.
“The U.S. is determined to find solutions. That is why on September 20, at the UN General Assembly in New York, President Obama will host a Leaders’ Summit on Refugees.

Niger

The Niger State Government has inaugurated the sale of
subsidised grains to residents of its 25 local government areas.
Governor  Sani Bello of Niger State, who performed the inauguration in Minna, said that the grains – rice, millet and maize, would only be sold in measurements in order to allow more people to access them and touch the lives of people at the grassroots.
Bello, who was represented by his Deputy, Alhaji Ahmed Ketso, said,  “we feel the pains of our people and that is why we make it a priority to embark on the sale of 1,508 tonnes of these essential food items.
“Government has invested heavily on this project and we intend to make it a continuous exercise until the economic situation improves.’’

Ogun

A 64-year-old man, Toyin Fagbenro, who allegedly
collected N1.7 million under false pretence, has been  arraigned in an Ota Chief Magistrates’ Court in Ogun State.
The defendant, who lives at No. 14 Shilloy Estate, Onigbongbo, Atan, Ota, is facing a two-count charge of stealing and obtaining money under false pretence.
The prosecutor, Cpl. Abdulkareem Mustapha, told the court that the accused committed the offences on October 22, 2015 at about 14:00 a.m. at Shilloy Estate, Onigbongbo, Atan, Ota.
Mustapha said that the defendant collected N1.7 million under false pretence on behalf of Shilloy Estate, to supply community electrical transformer. He said that the offences contravened Sections 309, 419 and 509 of the Criminal Code, Vol. 1, Laws of Ogun, 2006.

Ondo

The Rebuja of Osooro-land, Igbotako in Ondo State, Oba
Shedrack Gbadebo-Bajowa, has urged Nigerians to always pray for politicians to fulfill all their electioneering promises.
Oba Gbadebo-Bajowa, in an interview with newsmen in Igbotako, Ondo State, said that politicians needed prayers for them to do what was right, especially to the electorate.
The monarch said that no one could depend on his or her own wisdom to do anything right except with the wisdom of God.
“The economic status of the nation calls for serious prayers because whatever happens to the country indirectly affects the states, local government areas and all of us at large.
Osun

A human rights’ activist, Mrs Temitope Awe, has called
on the Federal Government to make more policy statements that will completely make child-trafficking a criminal offence in Nigeria.
She told newsmen in Osogbo, capital of the state of Osun, that such statement should make it an offence for parents to give out their children in trafficking.
Awe, the Executive Director of Girl-Child Rights Awareness Initiative in Africa, charged government to protect and save Nigerian children through proactive legislation that would serve as a deterrent to would-be-offenders. She said the rate at which Nigerian children were being trafficked within Africa and beyond was alarming and scaring.

Oyo

The Oyo State Director of the National Orientation
Agency (NOA), Mrs Dolapo Dosumu, has urged Nigerians to embrace peace for the development and advancement of the country.
Dosumu told newsmen in Ibadan that without peace, democracy would be threatened and socio-economic development would be hindered.

Continue Reading

Nation

RSG Hosts 2026 President’s Inter-SS Debate as Eight States Vie for National Crown

Published

on

Eight states across Nigeria have converged in Port Harcourt for the 2026 edition of the President’s Inter-Senior Secondary Schools Debate Championship, hosted by Rivers State Government.

The three_days championship, themed “27th Democracy & 3rd Year Anniversary of President Ahmed Tinubu Inter-Senior Schools Debate Championship,” opened on Monday at Government Girls Secondary School, Rumueme, Port Harcourt.

The participating states are Ebonyi, Abia, Delta, Sokoto, Yobe, Kwara, Enugu, and host state Rivers. Each state is represented by its top debaters selected through state-level contests.

Declaring the event open, the Rivers State Commissioner for Education, Dr. Peters Nwagor, said the championship goes beyond winning trophies. He described it as a national investment in the next generation of leaders.

“This platform is for nurturing young minds,” Nwagor said. “It builds critical thinking, research skills, confidence, effective communication, and the ability to engage constructively with views different from one’s own. These are the very qualities upon which responsible leadership and nation-building are founded.”

The Commissioner commended the organizers, participating schools, teachers, and coordinators for their commitment to promoting intellectual excellence among Nigerian youths.

He urged the students to compete with confidence, discipline, and respect. “Debate is not merely about winning an argument,” he noted. “It is about listening carefully, reasoning with clarity, presenting your evidence with honesty, and having the grace to learn from others. Let the quality of your ideas and the strength of your character define your participation here.”

Nwagor assured the participants that Rivers State is proud to play its part in raising a generation that will bring bold and innovative solutions to the country’s challenges. He wished all teams a rewarding, memorable, and successful championship.

Earlier in his welcome address, the National Coordinator of the President’s Schools Debate Nigeria, PSDN, Elder Dare Oritu, called the event a “gathering of minds” drawn from different parts of the country.

According to Oritu, debate is about three things. “It is about _unity_. It brings us together from different schools and backgrounds to learn from one another. It is about _broadening the mind_. It teaches you to think deeply, to listen well, to ask ‘why,’ and to defend your ideas with facts and respect. It is about _preparing you for leadership_. The problem-solvers and decision-makers of tomorrow are in this hall today.”

He reminded the students that debate is not a contest of aggression. “Debate is _not a fight_. We challenge ideas, not people. It is _not about who is better_. And it is _not do-or-die_. We win with grace, and we learn with humility,” Oritu said.

The PSDN National Coordinator encouraged all participants to compete with integrity, speak with clarity, and leave wiser than they came. He wished them the very best throughout the competition.

Highlights of the opening ceremony included the official draw for debate matches, administered by PSDN officials. The pairings will determine which states face each other in the preliminary rounds as the battle for the 2026 national title begins.

 

Amadi Akujobi

Continue Reading

Nation

NIIT Port Harcourt Graduates 61 Cybersecurity Students, Enrols 48 New Intakes

Published

on

The National Institute of Information Technology (NIIT), Port Harcourt, has graduated 61 students from its six-month Cybersecurity training programme. The institute also inducted 48 new students for the new academic session during a brief ceremony held at its Port Harcourt centre on Monday.

Centre Manager of NIIT Port Harcourt, Mr. Precious Ogulu Tom, said the institute is always excited to induct students into cybersecurity because it is one of its flagship courses with strong international recognition. He noted that the centre’s performance has earned it high ratings from ICSS, adding that in the past academic year, more than 20 students passed ICSS certification exams.

According to him, beyond the NIIT certificate, which is globally recognized, students also proceed to ICSS and complete their courses without difficulty. He credited the faculty for maintaining standards and said NIIT remains the leading ICT training institute in Port Harcourt and Rivers State.

Tom said NIIT has a presence in all major cities in Nigeria and its headquarters in India, with training covering all areas of ICT. He added that every year the institute produces at least one first-class graduate in Software Engineering from partner universities such as Middlesex University and the University of Sunderland. He described the institute’s approach as practical and hands-on.

On fees, he addressed comments about cost online, saying quality training requires investment. “Does anything good come easy? Nothing good comes easy,” he stated. He explained that students receive industry-standard books and globally recognized certificates, and invited parents and prospective students to register with NIIT for value-driven training.

Also speaking, Principal Instructor for Cybersecurity and Ethical Hacking, Mr. Nyekwere TamunoTonye, said the cohort began in February with high expectations and completed the programme in six months. He said one notable achievement was that the class remained largely intact despite challenges, including system breakdowns and family issues. “At the end of this six months, we never lost anybody. That is the greatest. So, we give God the glory,” he said.

Nyekwere said students were exposed to multiple domains in cybersecurity and received strong practical training. He told the graduands that their real learning starts now and urged them not to relent. “This is no longer the time you go back to play,” he added.

He emphasized that the institute equipped them not only with technical and practical skills but also with character and a mindset for continuous learning. He noted that no institution, including Harvard or Yale, can teach everything, but good schools set the path, which NIIT has done.

He charged them to deploy their skills positively. “I don’t want to see any of you being arrested by the EFCC tomorrow. I don’t want to see any of you being arrested by the police. I don’t want to see any of you being arrested,” he said.

Senior IT Counselor and Head of Sales and Marketing, Mrs. Igbigbari Vincent-Eretoru, congratulated the graduands for completing the programme and defending their presentations according to NIIT academic standards. She said certificates are awarded in character and learning, and urged them to be good ambassadors of NIIT Port Harcourt by applying what they learned.

Responding on behalf of the graduates, Class Section Head Tamunotonyesia Epelle said many came in with questions and uncertainty about specializations but left with clarity, confidence, and technical competence gained through practical assignments, teamwork, and the instructor’s push to avoid mediocrity.

Continue Reading

Nation

HYPREP Marks 15 Years Of UNEP Report, Highlights Major Cleanup Milestones

Published

on

The Hydrocarbon Pollution Remediation Project (HYPREP) has commemorated the 15th anniversary of the release of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Environmental Assessment Report on Ogoniland, reaffirming its commitment to restoring the environment and improving the livelihoods of affected communities.

In a statement signed by the Project Coordinator, Prof Nenibarini Zabbey, to commemorate the anniversary, HYPREP described the anniversary as a significant milestone in Nigeria’s environmental restoration efforts, noting that the project has made remarkable progress in implementing the recommendations of the landmark UNEP report released on August 4, 2011.

The UNEP report had revealed extensive oil pollution across Ogoniland, severe environmental degradation, and serious public health risks resulting from decades of petroleum operations. It also recommended an initial $1 billion fund to commence the cleanup of the affected communities.

According to HYPREP, the Federal Government formally launched the Ogoni clean-up in 2016, while the Project Coordination Office was established in 2017 to drive the implementation of UNEP’s recommendations.
Zabbey said the current administration has continued to prioritise the project under the Renewed Hope Agenda.

Providing an update on the cleanup, the Project Coordinator disclosed that 30 of the 65 contaminated sites identified by UNEP have been fully remediated, while work is ongoing at several medium- and high-risk locations. It also stated that more than 1.5 million mangrove seedlings have been planted as part of what it described as the world’s largest restoration of oil-degraded mangroves, with over 1,000 hectares of shoreline already rehabilitated.

Zabbey further revealed that 49 Ogoni communities have been connected to potable water schemes through multiple water projects and booster stations aimed at providing safe drinking water across the region.

In the health sector, he said the 100-bed Ogoni Specialist Hospital in Kpite and the 43-bed Cottage Hospital in Buan are nearing completion, adding that several existing health facilities have been upgraded with modern medical equipment, while five ambulances have been donated to improve emergency healthcare services. The Project Coordinator also disclosed that a three-year human health biomonitoring study is being conducted in collaboration with the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).

On economic empowerment, Zabbey stated that the Project has created more than 8,000 direct jobs and trained thousands of Ogoni youths and women in various vocational and technical skills, including software development, cybersecurity, aviation, commercial diving, seafaring, mechatronics, and creative arts. The project also reported awarding scholarships to more than 1,000 students, providing grants to small businesses, and supporting persons living with special needs through skills acquisition programmes.

The statement further highlighted ongoing legacy projects, including the Ogoni Power Project and the Centre of Excellence for Environmental Restoration, which it said is about 96 per cent complete. HYPREP also welcomed the recent designation of the Ogoni Wetland as a Ramsar Site of International Importance and pledged to continue promoting biodiversity conservation and sustainable management of the ecosystem.

Marking the anniversary, Zabbey said the progress achieved over the past 15 years demonstrates the collective commitment of government, development partners, stakeholders, and local communities to restoring Ogoniland. He called for renewed collaboration to sustain the cleanup effort, promote environmental sustainability, and support the long-term development of the region. 3

Continue Reading

Trending