Nation
THE STATES
Borno
The Nigerian Army says it will not be distracted in its
resolve to end Boko Haram terrorism in the North East.
The Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole Maj.-Gen. Lucky Irabor, disclosed this while speaking with newsmen in Maiduguri.
Irabor was reacting to an online publication alleging diversion of money meant for the prosecution of the war by the military high command.
“The attention of Theatre Command has been drawn to some issues in the online Sahara Reporters of June 24, with a story line alleging that the Chief of Army Staff (COAS) and his wives own some properties in Dubai.
“The report among other vicious and smear campaign issues, impugned that some `concerned officers and soldiers in the North East’ allegedly wrote a petition on the state of affairs in the Operation Lafiya Dole,’’ he said.
Irabor described the reports as baseless, unfounded and wicked insinuation.
FCT
National President, Nigerian Union of Journalists (NUJ),
Waheed Odushile, has described the late Chuks Ehirim, the former Chairman of the FCT Council of the union as “a detribalised, fearless and patriotic Nigerian.’’
Late Ehirim, died on June 16 after a brief illness.
Speaking at a valedictory congress in Abuja in honour of the late Ehirim, Odushile said that the deceased stood for the profession, adding “he was a pillar of journalism.’’
The NUJ president stressed the need for the institution of life insurance, as well as health insurance scheme for journalists in the country.
In his remarks, the Chairman of the FCT Council, Mr Paul Ella, said that the late Ehirim, his predecessor, led the council well.
He said the council was shocked by Ehirim’s death, adding that the deceased would be remembered for his commitment to establish a befitting secretariat for the secretariat for the council.
Gombe
The wife of the President, Hajia Aisha Buhari, has do
nated food items to members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Gombe State.
Presenting the items on her behalf in Gombe State, the party’s gubernatorial candidate in the last general elections, Alhaji Inuwa Yahaya, said the items included 2,200 bags of semolina, 100 cartons of macaroni, 300 cartoons of spaghetti and 1,300 cartoons of noodles.
Yahaya said the food items which would be distributed to the less privileged was to cushion the effects of the current Ramadan.
“People should not look at the quantity of the items but the spirit behind the gesture,’’ he said.
In his speech, Mr Karu Ishaya, the Chairman of APC in the state, thanked the president’s wife for the gesture.
Jigawa
The National Drugs Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA)
in Jigawa State said it arrested 91 drug suspects between January and June 25, this year, in the state.
The state Commandant of the agency, Alhaji Abdullahi Abdul, disclosed this while speaking with newsmen to commemorate the United Nations International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Drug Trafficking in Dutse.
Abdul explained that within the period, a total of 1.296.078.9 tonnes of hard drugs and psychotropic substances were seized from the suspects in the state.
He said cannabis sativa also known as Indian hemp alone, measured 1.286.226.5 tonnes, while psychotropic substance which weighed 9.852.4kgs was recovered.
Abdul said that 51 of the suspects had been prosecuted in competent court of law in the state.
The commandant added that other suspects were standing trial at the Federal High Court in Dutse .
Abdul stated that in the last six months, 62 drug addicts were counselled and rehabilitated by the command.
Kaduna
The Nigerian Air Force (NAF), has concluded arrange
ment to acquire 10 super mesh training aircraft from Pakistan Air Force to boost the country’s security.
The Chief of Air Staff (CAS), Air Marshal Sadiq Abubakar, made the disclosure at the graduation of Student Pilot Course (SPC) 41B in Kaduna.
He said that the aircraft would be inducted into the 301 Flying Training School, Kaduna. He said that Pakistani pilots would soon arrive in the country to train Nigerian pilots at the 310 Flying Training School.
He said that the induction of the super mesh aircraft would enhance the capability of student pilots to the full spectrum of military flying training.
Kano
The Kano State Government says it is ready to allow work
ing journalists in the state to visit and assess projects it executed within the last one year.
The Commissioner for Information, Malam Muhammad Garba, disclosed this while distributing food items to the executive members of various chapels of the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Kano State Council, at the NUJ Press Centre in Kano.
He said the state government had considered the move as an opportunity to, not only partner but, also give journalists and the public a chance to scrutinise the projects so far executed by the administration in the last one year.
He said the Ganduje administration was prepared to support journalists with necessary logistics to assess the projects.
Katsina
Healthcare and Education Support Initiative (HESI), an
NGO has intensified awareness campaign against the spread and management of tuberculosis in communities in Katsina State.
The Coordinator of the NGO, Dr Halima Yalwa-Adamu, made this known at a four-day sensitisation lecture and interactive session in Malumfashi.
She also called for collective efforts to create awareness and prevention of the disease. Yalwa-Adamu said the NGO had conducted a sample survey in 2,500 households in Malumfashi Local Government Area.
Kwara
The Kwara State branch of the Nigeria Union of Local
Government Employees (NULGE), has rejected the distribution of the June allocation to agencies and councils by the state government.
A statement from Mr Afolabi Abayomi, the Secretary of the union, in llorin described the distribution as “unfair”.
The statement was issued after the Joint Account Allocation Account Committee meeting held on June 23 and June 24 in llorin.
Osun
The Acting Inspector-General of Police, Mr Ibrahim Idris
has reiterated the readiness of the Nigeria Police Force to recover the Mobile Police Training School at Gwoza, Borno State.
Idris disclosed this at the Passing-Out of the Squadron Commanders Seminar/Combat Operation Course 02/2016 at Ila-Orogun in Osun.
He reiterated the determination of the police under his watch to accord more attention to special police unit.
According to him, the training school deserted due to the activities of Boko Haram insurgents will be recovered.
The Acting IGP added that due to enormous security challenges facing the country, the police would go through total restructuring and reforms to ensure the stability of the nation.
Sokoto
The Association for the Welfare of Indigent Women and
Children in Sokoto State, has donated assorted food items, worth about N500,000 to 95 needy persons in Sokoto.
Wife of the state governor, Hajiya Mariya Aminu, represented by the State Woman Leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Hajiya Fatima ‘ Yar-Kangiwa, presented the food items to the beneficiaries.
Aminu commended the association for the gesture, saying it would go a long way to alleviate the sufferings of the beneficiaries. “Those who are more endowed with wealth should assist the less-privileged ones, especially during the ongoing Ramadan fast,” she said. The state Chairperson of the association Hajiya Amina Yusuf-Yabo, commended the wife of the governor for donating N200,000 to the association.
Taraba
Senator Yusuf Abubakar (APC-Taraba Central), has dis
tributed about N10 million worth of empowerment items to his constituents.
Our correspondent who monitored the distribution exercise said the items include 165 motor cycles, 60 electricity generators and 51 wheel chairs.
No fewer than 300 youths, women and people living with disabilities from across the zone, comprising five local government areas, benefited from the empowerment initiative.
Distributing the items in Bali, the lawmaker said the exercise was aimed at empowering youths and women of the area to be self-reliant.
Zamfara
Dansadau Community in Maru Local Government Area
of Zamfara State, has commended the Federal Government for combating cattle rustlers and other criminals in the area.
Sen. Saidu Dansadau, in a statement in Gusau on behalf of the community, lamented that Dansadau Community had, in the past two years, come under series of attack by unknown gunmen and cattle rustlers.
According to him, those attackers had killed hundreds of people, destroyed several houses and other property.
“The criminals had defied many security efforts to stop their activities and continued to come in different guises.
Nation
HYPREP Marks 15 Years Of UNEP Report, Highlights Major Cleanup Milestones
The Hydrocarbon Pollution Remediation Project (HYPREP) has commemorated the 15th anniversary of the release of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Environmental Assessment Report on Ogoniland, reaffirming its commitment to restoring the environment and improving the livelihoods of affected communities.
In a statement signed by the Project Coordinator, Prof Nenibarini Zabbey, to commemorate the anniversary, HYPREP described the anniversary as a significant milestone in Nigeria’s environmental restoration efforts, noting that the project has made remarkable progress in implementing the recommendations of the landmark UNEP report released on August 4, 2011.
The UNEP report had revealed extensive oil pollution across Ogoniland, severe environmental degradation, and serious public health risks resulting from decades of petroleum operations. It also recommended an initial $1 billion fund to commence the cleanup of the affected communities.
According to HYPREP, the Federal Government formally launched the Ogoni clean-up in 2016, while the Project Coordination Office was established in 2017 to drive the implementation of UNEP’s recommendations.
Zabbey said the current administration has continued to prioritise the project under the Renewed Hope Agenda.
Providing an update on the cleanup, the Project Coordinator disclosed that 30 of the 65 contaminated sites identified by UNEP have been fully remediated, while work is ongoing at several medium- and high-risk locations. It also stated that more than 1.5 million mangrove seedlings have been planted as part of what it described as the world’s largest restoration of oil-degraded mangroves, with over 1,000 hectares of shoreline already rehabilitated.
Zabbey further revealed that 49 Ogoni communities have been connected to potable water schemes through multiple water projects and booster stations aimed at providing safe drinking water across the region.
In the health sector, he said the 100-bed Ogoni Specialist Hospital in Kpite and the 43-bed Cottage Hospital in Buan are nearing completion, adding that several existing health facilities have been upgraded with modern medical equipment, while five ambulances have been donated to improve emergency healthcare services. The Project Coordinator also disclosed that a three-year human health biomonitoring study is being conducted in collaboration with the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).
On economic empowerment, Zabbey stated that the Project has created more than 8,000 direct jobs and trained thousands of Ogoni youths and women in various vocational and technical skills, including software development, cybersecurity, aviation, commercial diving, seafaring, mechatronics, and creative arts. The project also reported awarding scholarships to more than 1,000 students, providing grants to small businesses, and supporting persons living with special needs through skills acquisition programmes.
The statement further highlighted ongoing legacy projects, including the Ogoni Power Project and the Centre of Excellence for Environmental Restoration, which it said is about 96 per cent complete. HYPREP also welcomed the recent designation of the Ogoni Wetland as a Ramsar Site of International Importance and pledged to continue promoting biodiversity conservation and sustainable management of the ecosystem.
Marking the anniversary, Zabbey said the progress achieved over the past 15 years demonstrates the collective commitment of government, development partners, stakeholders, and local communities to restoring Ogoniland. He called for renewed collaboration to sustain the cleanup effort, promote environmental sustainability, and support the long-term development of the region. 3
Nation
REAN, SON synergise to curb fake renewable energy product
Nation
Self Help Africa programme expands water access for 320,000 Nigerians
-
News1 day agoRSG Targets Nine Million Residents in Mosquito Net Distribution Campaign
-
Oil & Energy1 day agoAiyedatiwa Signs New Electricity Bill
-
Oil & Energy1 day agoNLNG Commissions Research And Innovation Centre In RSU
-
Maritime1 day agoMarine Minister Commends President Tinubu On NPERA Bill Assent
-
News1 day agoKenPoly Holds Eight Convocations, August 29
-
News1 day agoRSG Begins Another Phase of Projects Commissioning Today
-
News1 day agoRMAFC Completes Revenue Sharing Review, Proposes New Pay
-
Maritime1 day agoNAGAFF Petitions IGP Over Alleged Maritime Police Harassment
