News
Troops Gun Down 42 Terrorists In Battle
The Defence Headquarters has said the troops of Operation Hadin Kai (OPHK) have eliminated 42 Boko Haram insurgents in the past two weeks in the North-East.
The DHQ said that 3,858 terrorists including six top commanders and their families surrendered to troops in the theatre of operation.
The Director, Defence Media Operations, Maj.-Gen. Bernard Onyeuko, said this while reviewing progress of the ongoing military campaign against insurgency, yesterday, in Abuja.
He said that troops took the battle to Boko Haram terrorists/Islamic State of West Africa Province (ISWAP) enclaves with more coordinated operations.
He said the Air Component of OPHK on July 11, conducted air interdiction operation at Tumbum Jaki and Tumbum Murhu near Lake Chad in Borno killing more than 21 terrorists.
Onyeuko disclosed that the six terrorists’ commanders surrendered to troops at Gwoza.
He listed the surrendered commanders as Malam Mala Hassan (Wali), Ali Madagali (Munzur), Musa Bashir (Chief Anur), Buba Dahiru (Munzur), Jafar Hamma (Kaid) and Abbali Polisawa.
“Also, about 3,858 Boko Haram terrorists and their families surrendered between July 1 and July 14, comprising 505 males, 1,042 females and 2,311 children,” he said.
The spokesman said the troops also neutralised unspecified number of terrorists in different encounters at Gamage village in Dikwa Local Government Area, Dikwa – Gamborou-Ngala road, Pulka – Gwale road in Borno during the period.
According to him, several terrorists’ logistics suppliers/collaborators have been arrested with different items at various locations within the theatre.
“Among them were two women namely; Hauwa Gambo and Khadija Dirsa.
“Consequently, troops neutralised 42 terrorists, arrested 10, captured 17 AK-47 rifles, one QTC rifle, 1 RPG bomb, one RPG tube, five hand grenades, 120 rounds of 5.5mm and 54 rounds of 7.62mm special ammunition,” he said.
Onyeuko listed other items to include 151 rounds of 7.62mm NATO; 60 rounds of 12.7 108mm, two ammo links, five Dane guns, eight rounds of fabricated 7.62mm ammunition, one smoke grenade, two locally made explosives, 23 empty AK-47 magazines, and five FN magazines.
He said the surrendered terrorists and their families were being profiled and documented while recovered items and apprehended suspected terrorists had been handed over to the appropriate authorities for further action.
News
HYPREP Tightens Security At Project Sites
Following the rupture of the ground tank of its water facility in Ebubu Community in Eleme Local Government Area of Rivers State, the Hydrocarbon Pollution Remediation Project (HYPREP) has tightened security across all its project sites in Ogoniland.
HYPREP, which dropped this hint in a statement signed by its Head of Communications, Dr Enuolare Mba-Nwigoh, said the Project Coordinator, Prof Nenibarini Zabbey had given the directive for security to be tightened across all its project sites in Ogoniland.
Mba-Nwigoh noted that the tightening of security across the project sites has become necessary to forestall interference with the facilities.
He further disclosed that following the rupture of the ground tank of the Ebubu water facility, a team led by HYPREP’s Director of Technical Services, Prof Damian-Paul Aguiyi has visited the scene of the incident to assess the situation, stressing that the water facility has been cordoned off for public safety.
The statement indicated that following the incident, HYPREP has henceforth barred non-project personnel and non-facility staff from gaining access into any of its active project sites in Ogoniland without authorisation.
While appealing to residents of Ebubu Community and the public to remain calm, the Head of Communications assured them that the Project is taking prompt steps to restore water to the community, saying, the cause of the unfortunate incident is being investigated.
He equally noted that the Chief Security Officer of HYPREP has been directed to immediately tighten security across all its project sites in Ogoniland.
The statement said HYPREP is deeply concerned about the incident, stressing that despite the setback, the Project reiterates its commitment to delivering sustainable cleanup in Ogoniland.
News
198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class
News
Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council trains tra 1,000 teachers
-
Niger Delta3 days agoBayelsa’s Aircraft Makes Inaugural Flight…As Lawmakers, Oil Minister, NDDC’S MD Hail Diri
-
Rivers31 minutes ago
UNIPORT Moves To Tackle Insecurity … Inducts Security Experts
-
News39 minutes agoHYPREP Tightens Security At Project Sites
-
Nation33 minutes ago
Association Hails Rivers LG Chairmen, Urges Expansion Of Dev Projects
-
Nation38 minutes ago
Traditional Rulers Advise Khana Youths To Shun Politics Of Bitterness
-
Nation32 minutes ago
Hausa Community Lauds Council Boss Over Free Medical Outreach
-
Nation36 minutes agoOgoni Power Project: HYPREP Moves To Boost Capacity Of Personnel
-
Nation37 minutes ago
CDC Chairman, Youth Leader Hail Monarch Over Wrestling Festival Success
