Business
NUPENG’s Two-Week Ultimatum To FG Still Stands -President
The Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG) has said that the two-week ultimatum to the Federal Government over the non-implementation of agreements entered with the union still stands.
NUPENG said it would commence a nationwide strike if some legitimate welfare and membership-related issues are not conclusively addressed at the end of the period.
The ultimatum was contained in a statement and signed by Williams Akhoreha, NUPENG president, and Olawale Afolabi, general secretary.
The union had reached its decision during a special national delegates conference convened last week.
It listed reasons for its resolution to include non-payment of workers’ salaries, title benefits, among others.
“We write to convey to the general public and all relevant government agencies the resolution of the special national delegates conference to issue a 14-day notice of a nationwide industrial action if some legitimate welfare and membership related issues that have been variously resolved in our favour even by the Federal Ministry of Labour and Employment are not adequately and conclusively addressed and resolved within the next 14 days.
“This ultimatum takes effect from Monday, November 15, 2021,” the statement reads”, the statement said.
Outlining some of the issues, the union said the first one was the outstanding short payment of terminal benefits to its members that were declared redundant in 2012 by the management of Chevron Nigeria Limited.
It also accused the management of Chevron of terminating the employment of contract workers for joining the union.
This, it said, was despite the fact that the workers had put in between 10 to 20 years in continuous employment and that their jobs were terminated without payment of terminal benefits.
“There is also the matter concerning PYRAMIDT workers, who for more than 20 years now are being moved from one labour contractor to another without conditions of service and union representation/recognition,” NUPENG added.
The union said that contract workers working in oil mining licence (OML) 42 of the Nigeria Petroleum Development Company (NPDC), an upstream subsidiary company of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), were being continuously owed salaries and allowances for upwards of eight to 10 months.
NUPENG said efforts to make the management of the NPDC and the contractors do the needful on the pitiable plights of the hapless workers had yet to receive any meaningful attention and actions.
Business
Two Federal Agencies Enter Pack On Expansion, Sustainable Electricity In Niger Delta
Business
Why The AI Boom May Extend The Reign Of Natural Gas
Business
Ogun To Join Oil-Producing States ……..As NNPCL Kicks Off Commercial Oil Production At Eba
-
Sports2 days ago2026 WC: Nigeria, DR Congo Awaits FIFA Verdict Today
-
Sports5 days ago
DG NIS Wants NSC Board Constituted, Seeks Increased In Funding
-
Business5 days agoCustoms Seek Support To Curb Smuggling In Ogun
-
Featured5 days agoINEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
-
Sports5 days agoSWAN Rivers Set-up Five Functional Committees
-
Sports5 days ago
NSC Disburses N200m Training Grants To 26 Athletes
-
Sports5 days ago
‘NTF Will Build On Davis Cup Success For Brighter Future’
-
News5 days ago
Police Bust Kidnapping Syndicate In PH
