Connect with us

Featured

PDP Wins Adamawa Guber Poll …CUPP Disowns Ganduje’s Endoresment …Says PDP’ll Recover Stolen Mandate

Published

on

Ahmed Umar Fintiri, candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), has won the Adamawa State governorship re-run election.
To emerge victor, Fintiri polled a total of 376,552 votes to beat Jibrilla Bindow, incumbent Governor and candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), who secured 336,386 votes, amounting to a margin of 40,166.
Before yesterday’s supplementary election, Fintiri had polled 367,471 votes while Bindow had 334,995, leaving a margin of 32,476 votes and placing him in a quite comfortable situation, as only 40,988 votes were cancelled by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
He defeated All Progressives Congress, APC governorship candidate and incumbent Governor Mohammed Bindow in the results so far collated such that the governor cannot overturn the margin of lead. With 367,471 votes to Bindow’s 334,995 votes, Fintiri went into yesterday’s make-up election with a 32,476 votes advantage.
Thus, Bindow was required to get at least 41,000 votes from the available 49,377 cancelled votes, to be re-elected. This may be a tall order, if the results released at press time are anything to go by. Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, officials, security agents and other stakeholders arrived the various polling units on time prompting early commencement of the exercise.
For instance, in Aroo Maguwa PU Girei, APC polled 102 votes while PDP got scored 72 votes. In Vazili PU 009, Michika LGA, it was ADC 1, APC 561 and PDP 6. Others include: Jigalambu unit – APC 7, PDP 248; Fwa unit, Michika – APC 3, PDP 161; Didayo in Song LGA – APC 116, PDP 268; Unit 005, Karalbadi Duhu Mayowandu – ADC 5, APC 0, PDP 131 and SDP 1 In Guyuk Unit 001: APC 0, PDP 154; Kolbani Duhu/Mayo Madagali: APC 0, PDM 5, PDP 135; Kofarwaya PU 003, Girei Ward: APC 46, and PDP 168.
The supplementary election was the climax of the inconclusive election held on March 9. Though low turnout of voters characterised the exercise in Yola South LGA of the state, voting was peaceful under the watchful eyes of fully mobilised security agents.
At the end of the LGA announcement, PDP polled 10,480 votes while APC secured 1391 votes, leaving a margin of 9089. LGA: Mubi North APC 11 PDP 900 LGA: Michika APC 187 PDP 1113 LGA: Toungo PDP 86 APC 2 LGA: Numan APC 50 PDP 1548 LGA: Madagali APC 0 PDP 131 AFTER NINE LGAs, PDP: 5301, APC:1141 LGA: Guyuk PDP 717 APC 10 CUPP disowns Ganduje’s endorsement by Kano branch.
Meanwhile, the national headquarters of Coalition of United Political Parties,CUPP, has dissociated itself from a purported endorsement of the victory of Governor of Kano State, Abdullahi Ganduje, in the governorship election by its Kano branch.
The coalition said it does not know the group, which claimed to represent it in the state while making the purported endorsement. In a statement, yesterday, by its spokesman, Ikenga Ugochinyere, CUPP said contrary to the group’s claim of emerging from its fold, those who formed the group were “APC agents from Ganduje’s village.
“The national headquarters of CUPP has dissociated itself from a group that called itself the Kano State chapter of the coalition and used its platform to endorse Ganduje. “The group, led by one Isah Nuhu Isah, was said to have paid a solidarity visit to Ganduje during which it claimed that 42 parties that make up the coalition in the state have dropped their plan to challenge Ganduje’s victory at the just-concluded supplementary election before the tribunal.
“We make bold to say that the CUPP is a national coalition formed to work for the emergence of the presidential candidate of PDP, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, and the protection of national interest. “CUPP is a national coalition focused on taking presidential power via constitutional means and protection of national interest and not for state jamboree. The mandate Ganduje stole will be retrieved and he should enjoy his interim second term without dragging CUPP into his quest for legitimacy.”
Meanwhie, the national headquarters of the Coalition of United Political Parties (CUPP) has dissociated itself from a purported endorsement of the victory of Governor of Kano State, Abdullahi Ganduje, in the governorship election by its Kano branch.
The coalition said the group, which posed to represent it in the state while making the purported endorsement was not known by it.
A statement, yesterday, by its spokesman, Ikenga Ugochinyere, alleged that contrary to the group’s claim of emerging from its fold, the persons who formed the group were agents of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).
According to him, “APC agents from Ganduje’s village to came under the name of CUPP to support the stolen mandate.
“The national headquarters of the Coalition of United Political Parties (CUPP) has dissociated itself from a group that called itself the Kano State chapter of the coalition and used its platform to endorse Governor Abdullahi Ganduje.
“The group, led by one Isah Nuhu Isah, was said to have paid a solidarity visit to Ganduje during which it claimed that 42 parties that made up the coalition in the state have dropped their plan to challenge Ganduje’s victory at the just-concluded supplementary election before the tribunal.
“We make bold to say that the CUPP is a national coalition formed to work for the emergence of the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, and the protection of national interest,” it said in the statement.
CUPP said, “The coalition is not meant for any state jamboree as being witnessed in Kano.”
The statement read further: “For the avoidance of any doubt, the position of the CUPP remains that Ganduje is parading a stolen mandate that will be retrieved from him.
“The recruitment of APC agents from Ganduje village to come under the name of CUPP to support the stolen mandate is unacceptable, laughable and a show of the political inexperience of Ganduje which led to his disgraceful outing at the ballot in the first place.
“The coalition, therefore, has not, and will never endorse him because we will not be part of the illegality that foisted him on the people of Kano State who roundly rejected him as seen during the election.”
It explained that, “CUPP is a national coalition focused on taking presidential power via constitutional means and protection of national interest and not for state jamboree.
“The mandate Ganduje stole will be retrieved and He should enjoy his interim second term without dragging CUPP into his quest for legitimacy,” it added.
Earlier, a coalition of 42 registered political parties in Kano State, under the aegis of Coalition of United Political Parties (CUPP), had expressed support for the re-election of Governor Abdullahi Ganduje at the just concluded governorship election.
The CUPP Chairman in the state, Alhaji Nuhu Isah, who paid a congratulatory visit to the governor, expressed dismay over a purported news conference held in Kano where it was reported that the coalition condemned the entire process due to alleged electoral irregularities.
Isah, who is also the chairman, lnter-Party Advisory Council (IPAC), said the 42 political parties were satisfied with the election outcome and would not challenge it at the tribunal.
“We are shocked to read the contents of the news conference discrediting the whole conduct of the process, security agencies, INEC and worst still the declaration to challenge the outcome of the exercise.
“We in CUPP comprising the representatives of the 42 political parties in the coalition, and joined by the Inter-party Advisory Council (IPAC), categorically disown and disassociate the coalition from the sham press conference as well as condemn it in its entirety.
“We also express our dismay at the action of the conveners of the news conference for using the coalition to express personal and untoward views for whatever reasons and influence under the guise of CUPP,” he said.
He noted that the coalition monitored the supplementary election in Kano and in all sincerity believed it to be free, fair and peaceful.
Isah also acknowledged that there were pockets of violence in some polling units which magnitude were insignificant to warrant any call for cancellation of the election or legal redress at the tribunal.

Continue Reading

Featured

Fubara Dissolves Rivers Executive Council

Published

on

Rivers State Governor, Sir Siminialayi Fubara, has dissolved the State Executive Council.

The governor announced the cabinet dissolution yesterday in a statement titled ‘Government Special Announcement’, signed by his new Chief Press Secretary, Onwuka Nzeshi.

Governor Fubara directed all Commissioners and Special Advisers to hand over to the Permanent Secretaries or the most Senior officers in their Ministries with immediate effect.

He thanked the outgoing members of the State Executive Council for their service and wished them the best in their future endeavours.

The three-paragraph special announcement read, “His Excellency, Sir Siminalayi Fubara, GSSRS, Governor of Rivers State, has dissolved the State Executive Council.

“His Excellency, the Governor, has therefore directed all Commissioners and Special Advisers to hand over to the Permanent Secretaries or  the most Senior officers in their Ministries with immediate effect.

“His Excellency further expresses his deepest appreciation to the outgoing members of the Executive Council wishing them the best in their future endeavours.”

 

Continue Reading

Featured

INEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) yesterday told the National Assembly that it requires N873.78bn to conduct the 2027 general elections, even as it seeks N171bn to fund its operations in the 2026 fiscal year.

INEC Chairman, Prof Joash Amupitan, made the disclosure while presenting the commission’s 2026 budget proposal and the projected cost for the 2027 general elections before the National Assembly Joint Committee on Electoral Matters in Abuja.

According to Amupitan, the N873.78bn election budget covers the full conduct of national polls in 2027.

An additional N171bn is needed to support INEC’s routine activities in 2026, including bye-elections and off-season elections, the commission stated.

The INEC boss said the proposed election budget does not include a fresh request from the National Youth Service Corps seeking increased allowances for corps members engaged as ad-hoc staff during elections.

He explained that, although the details of specific line items were not exhaustively presented, the almost N1tn election budget is structured across five major components.

“N379.75bn is for operational costs, N92.32bn for administrative costs, N209.21bn for technological costs, N154.91bn for election capital costs and N42.61bn for miscellaneous expenses,” Amupitan said.

The INEC chief noted that the budget was prepared “in line with Section 3(3) of the Electoral Act 2022, which mandates the Commission to prepare its election budget at least one year before the general election.”

On the 2026 fiscal year, Amupitan disclosed that the Ministry of Finance provided an envelope of N140bn, stressing, however, that “INEC is proposing a total expenditure of N171bn.”

The breakdown includes N109bn for personnel costs, N18.7bn for overheads, N42.63bn for election-related activities and N1.4bn for capital expenditure.

He argued that the envelope budgeting system is not suitable for the Commission’s operations, noting that INEC’s activities often require urgent and flexible funding.

Amupitan also identified the lack of a dedicated communications network as a major operational challenge, adding that if the commission develops its own network infrastructure, Nigerians would be in a better position to hold it accountable for any technical glitches.

Speaking at the session, Senator Adams Oshiomhole (APC, Edo North) said external agencies should not dictate the budgeting framework for INEC, given the unique and sensitive nature of its mandate.

He advocated that the envelope budgeting model should be set aside.

He urged the National Assembly to work with INEC’s financial proposal to avoid future instances of possible underfunding.

In the same vein, a member of the House of Representatives from Edo State, Billy Osawaru, called for INEC’s budget to be placed on first-line charge as provided in the Constitution, with funds released in full and on time to enable the Commission to plan early enough for the 2027 general election.

The Joint Committee approved a motion recommending the one-time release of the Commission’s annual budget.

The committee also said it would consider the NYSC’s request for about N32bn to increase allowances for corps members to N125,000 each when engaged for election duties.

The Chairman of the Senate Committee on INEC, Senator Simon Along, assured that the National Assembly would work closely with the Commission to ensure it receives the necessary support for the successful conduct of the 2027 general elections.

Similarly, the Chairman of the House Committee on Electoral Matters, Bayo Balogun, also pledged legislative support, warning INEC to be careful about promises it might be unable to keep.

He recalled that during the 2023 general election, INEC made strong assurances about uploading results to the INEC Result Viewing portal, creating the impression that results could be monitored in real time.

“iREV was not even in the Electoral Act; it was only in INEC regulations. So, be careful how you make promises,” Balogun warned.

The N873.78bn proposed by INEC for next year’s general election is a significant increase from the N313.4bn released to the Commission by the Federal Government for the conduct of the 2023 general election.

Continue Reading

Featured

Tinubu Mourns Literary Icon, Biodun Jeyifo

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu yesterday expressed grief over the death of a former President of the Academic Staff Union of Universities and one of Africa’s foremost literary scholars, Professor Emeritus Biodun Jeyifo.

Jeyifo passed away on Wednesday, drawing tributes from across Nigeria and the global academic community.

In a condolence message to the family, friends, and associates of the late scholar, Tinubu in a statement by his spokesperson, Bayo Onanuga,  described Jeyifo as a towering intellectual whose contributions to African literature, postcolonial studies, and cultural theory left an enduring legacy.

He noted that the late professor would be sorely missed for his incisive criticism and masterful interpretations of the works of Nobel laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka.

The President also recalled Jeyifo’s leadership of ASUU, praising the temperance, foresight, and wisdom he brought to the union over the years.

Tinubu said Jeyifo played a key role in shaping negotiation frameworks with the government aimed at improving working conditions for university staff and enhancing the learning environment in Nigerian universities.

According to the President, Professor Jeyifo’s longstanding advocacy for academic freedom and social justice will continue to inspire generations.

He added that the late scholar’s influence extended beyond academia into political and cultural journalism, where he served as a mentor to numerous scholars, writers, and activists.

Tinubu condoled with ASUU, the Nigerian Academy of Letters, the Wole Soyinka Centre for Investigative Journalism, the University of Ibadan, Obafemi Awolowo University, Oberlin University, Cornell University, and Harvard University—institutions where Jeyifo studied, taught, or made significant scholarly contributions.

“Nigeria and the global academic community have lost a towering figure and outstanding global citizen,” the President said.

“Professor Biodun Jeyifo was an intellectual giant who dedicated his entire life to knowledge production and the promotion of human dignity. I share a strong personal relationship with him. His contributions to literary and cultural advancement and to society at large will be missed.”

Jeyifo was widely regarded as one of Africa’s most influential literary critics and public intellectuals. Among several honours, he received the prestigious W.E.B. Du Bois Medal in 2019.

Continue Reading

Trending