Opinion
The Days Of The Shackles
I have always asked the question whether the President Muhammadu Buhari administration, which pledged compliance with the rule of law, truly has regard for the courts?
I do that routinely because of the many reported and substantiated cases of human rights abuses by the administration. They include illegal detentions, disobedience to court orders, indiscriminate arrests without proper investigation, among others.
At a press conference held in Abuja to commemorate the 2017 Democracy Day, the Nigeria Bar Association, NBA, chided the Federal Government for disparaging court orders and the rule of law. Its president, Mr. Abubakar Mahmoud, SAN, said the association was “appalled at the continued detention of certain individuals in blatant disobedience to court orders”.
The legal luminary said it all. Those at the butt of this rascality at the moment include the leader of an Islamic movement in Nigeria, Sheikh Ibrahim El-Zakyzaky and his wife; the former National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki; Ifeanyi Uba and some judges.
Surprisingly for the regime, one of its own, who is the Chairman of the Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption, Prof. Itse Sagay (SAN), also backed the NBA position and asked the Federal Government to obey court orders particularly in respect of Dasuki and El-Zakyzaky.
One appreciates the gravity of the charges against the detainees, but their continued detention is indefensible and contrary to express court orders. It is very important that the Federal Government obeys court orders at all times to preserve the society and protect the weak.
A situation where judges are kept for about eight months without being prosecuted or charged before any court of law is simply unacceptable and an affront on the constitution. If there are no charges against them, the appropriate thing to do is to discharge them and get them reabsorbed.
Take the case of Dasuki, for instance. He was arrested for allegedly misappropriating $2.1billion meant for procurement of military equipment. Since then, he has been in incarceration for almost two years while his case in court has been going back and forth.
He has been granted bail by three different trial courts which ordered his release. Also, on October 4, 2016, the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) court ordered his release but the Federal Government has not complied till date.
El-Zakyzaky’s matter is more pathetic or caustic. Even though the sheikh was absent at the scene of conflict between his Shi’ite sect and the military over allegations that the group prevented the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant-General Tukur Buratai, and his convoy from taking a route, he has been clamped in detention since then.
Justice Gabriel Kolawole of the Federal High Court, Abuja, saw the injustice suffered by the sheikh and his wife and declared their detention illegal and granted their realease. But that order has not been obeyed. Although it was learnt that the Federal Government appealed the ruling, lawyers would usually say that an appeal does not amount to a stay of execution until the court orders it.
The danger in the government’s intransigence, especially in respect of the sheikh and his wife, is better imagined than experienced. The nation risks a repeat of Mohammed Yusuf’s saga. Yusuf was the founder of Boko Haram, whose death in police custody escalated the deadly activities of the terrorist group. Since then, the nation is yet to have reprieve from the unrelenting bloodshed in the North East.
This government should be told that our laws don’t permit the detention of persons beyond a period of time without trial. The continued detention of these persons in defiance of court order casts aspersions on the administration and places huge question marks upon the character of the government.
Some Nigerians are pained by the actions of the administration in this regard and have expressed their displeasure.
A legal practitioner, Godwin Udofia, described President Buhari’s refusal to obey the court on the release of the detainees as sitting the constitution on the head. He urged the president to abide by the constitution he swore to uphold. Of course, I agree with Godwin.
Does the President realise that the constitution he despises is the very document that establishes the court and his office? By acting arbitrarily, Buhari must understand that he has suspended the constitution already, an act reminiscent of the military era.
It is, indeed, sad to see fellow Nigerians languish in detention in perpetuity at the pleasure of the President, the Attorney General or other persons. It seems we are gradually returning to the days of Decrees 2 and 4; the days of the shackles.
Arnold Alalibo
Opinion
Time and Season Can Tell
Opinion
Why Adaeze Deserves A Second Chance
Opinion
Empowering Youth Through Agriculture
Quote:”While job seeking youths should continuously acquire skills and explore opportunities within their immediate environment as well as in the global space through the use of digital platforms, government, corporate/ multinational organizations or the organised private sector should generate skills and provide the enabling environment for skills acquisition, through adequate funding and resettlement packages that will provide sustainable economic life for beneficiaries”.
The Governor of Rivers State, Sir Siminalayi Fubara, recently urged youths in the Rivers State to take advantage of the vast opportunities available to become employers of labour and contribute meaningfully to the growth and development of the State. Governor Fubara noted that global trends increasingly favour entrepreneurship and innovation, and said that youths in Rivers State must not be left behind in harnessing these opportunities. The Governor, represented by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr Benibo Anabraba, made this known while declaring open the 2026 Job Fair organised by the Rivers State Government in partnership with the Nigeria Employers’ Consultative Association (NECA) in Port Harcourt. The Governor acknowledged the responsibility of government to create jobs for its teeming youth population but noted that it is unrealistic to absorb all job seekers into the civil service.
“As a government, we recognise our duty to provide employment opportunities for our teeming youths. However, we also understand that not all youths can be accommodated within the civil service. This underscores the need to encourage entrepreneurship across diverse sectors and to partner with other stakeholders, including the youths themselves, so they can transition from being job seekers to employers of labour,” he said. It is necessary to State that Governor Fubara has not only stated the obvious but was committed to drive youth entrepreneurship towards their self-reliance and the economic development of the State It is not news that developed economies of the world are skilled driven economies. The private sector also remains the highest employer of labour in private sector driven or capitalist economy though it is also the responsibility of government to create job opportunities for the teeming unemployed youth population in Nigeria which has the highest youth unemployed population in the subSahara Africa.
The lack of job opportunities, caused partly by the Federal Government’s apathy to job creation, the lack of adequate supervision of job opportunities economic programmes, lack of employable skills by many youths in the country have conspired to heighten the attendant challenges of unemployment. The challenges which include, “Japa” syndrome (travelling abroad for greener pastures), that characterises the labour market and poses threat to the nation’s critical sector, especially the health and medical sector; astronomical increase in the crime rate and a loss of interest in education. While job seeking youths should continuously acquire skills and explore opportunities within their immediate environment as well as in the global space through the use of digital platforms, government, corporate/ multinational organizations or the organised private sector should generate skills and provide the enabling environment for skills acquisition, through adequate funding and resettlement packages that will provide sustainable economic life for beneficiaries.
While commending the Rivers State Government led by the People First Governor, Sir Siminilayi Fubara for initiating “various training and capacity-building programmes in areas such as ICT and artificial intelligence, oil and gas, maritime, and the blue economy, among others”, it is note-worthy that the labour market is dynamic and shaped by industry-specific demands, technological advancements, management practices and other emerging factors. So another sector the Federal, State and Local Governments should encourage youths to explore and harness the abounding potentials, in my considered view, is Agriculture. Agriculture remains a veritable solution to hunger, inflation, and food Insecurity that ravages the country. No doubt, the Nigeria’s arable landmass is grossly under-utilised and under-exploited.
In recent times, Nigerians have voiced their concerns about the persistent challenges of hunger, inflation, and the general increase in prices of goods and commodities. These issues not only affect the livelihoods of individuals and families but also pose significant threats to food security and economic stability in the country. The United Nations estimated that more than 25 million people in Nigeria could face food insecurity this year—a 47% increase from the 17 million people already at risk of going hungry, mainly due to ongoing insecurity, protracted conflicts, and rising food prices. An estimated two million children under five are likely to be pushed into acute malnutrition. (Reliefweb ,2023). In response, Nigeria declared a state of emergency on food insecurity, recognizing the urgent need to tackle food shortages, stabilize rising prices, and protect farmers facing violence from armed groups. However, without addressing the insecurity challenges, farmers will continue to struggle to feed their families and boost food production.
In addition, parts of northwest and northeast Nigeria have experienced changes in rainfall patterns making less water available for crop production. These climate change events have resulted in droughts and land degradations; presenting challenges for local communities and leading to significant impact on food security. In light of these daunting challenges, it is imperative to address the intricate interplay between insecurity and agricultural productivity. Nigeria can work toward ensuring food security, reducing poverty, and fostering sustainable economic growth in its vital agricultural sector. In this article, I suggest solutions that could enhance agricultural production and ensure that every state scales its agricultural production to a level where it can cater to 60% of the population.
This is feasible and achievable if government at all levels are intentional driving the development of the agricultural sector which was the major economic mainstay of the Country before the crude oil was struck in commercial quantity and consequently became the nation’s monolithic revenue source. Government should revive the moribund Graduate Farmers Scheme and the Rivers State School-to-Land agricultural programmes to operate concurrently with other skills acquisition and development programmes. There should be a consideration for investment in mechanized farming and arable land allocation. State and local governments should play a pivotal role in promoting mechanized farming and providing arable land for farming in communities. Additionally, allocating arable land enables small holder farmers to expand their operations and contribute to food security at the grassroots level.
Nigeria can unlock the potential of its agricultural sector to address the pressing needs of its population and achieve sustainable development. Policymakers and stakeholders must heed Akande’s recommendations and take decisive action to ensure a food-secure future for all Nigerians.
By: Igbiki Benibo
-
Politics5 days agoAPC Releases Adjusted Timetable For Nationwide Congresses, Convention
-
Sports2 days ago2026 WC: Nigeria, DR Congo Awaits FIFA Verdict Today
-
Sports5 days ago
DG NIS Wants NSC Board Constituted, Seeks Increased In Funding
-
Business5 days agoCustoms Seek Support To Curb Smuggling In Ogun
-
Featured5 days agoINEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
-
Sports5 days agoSWAN Rivers Set-up Five Functional Committees
-
Sports5 days ago
NSC Disburses N200m Training Grants To 26 Athletes
-
Sports5 days ago
‘NTF Will Build On Davis Cup Success For Brighter Future’
