Connect with us

News

Rivers East: ‘APC Would’ve Attacked Judiciary’ …We Believe In Judiciary -Wike

Published

on

The Rivers State Governor, Chief Nyesom Wike has declared that the leadership of the All Progressives Congress (APC) only launches campaign of calumny against the judiciary when they lose cases, but applaud them each time they emerge victorious.
The governor also stated that the outcome of the litigation on the Rivers East Senatorial District Seat has confirmed the alarm he raised that Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and police were in partnership to rig elections in the state.
Speaking during a stakeholders meeting with leaders of Okrika and Ogu-Bolo local government areas at the Government House, Port Harcourt, last Saturday, Wike said: “Now that we have lost, nobody is saying that the Judiciary is corrupt. They are not saying that the Judiciary is corrupt because they have won.
“Tomorrow, if we win, they will say Judiciary is corrupt. Then they will send security operatives to arrest the judges. Nobody will bother to go now and arrest the judges to find out what happened”.
The governor regretted that when the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen visited the state to flag off the construction of the state Judges Quarters, the APC went to town, claiming that the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) will procure all judgments at the courts.
He noted: “But now, you will not see them claiming that the judgment was procured. I urge you to continue to have confidence in the Judiciary”.
Wike insisted that police colluded with APC to tender concocted results at the tribunal, which was relied upon to sack Senator George Thompson Sekibo.
He said: “Remember, last year, I raised an alarm that INEC and police were planning to rig the rerun elections. We caught people printing INEC result sheets and reported the matter.  Somebody was arrested. They sent the person to Zone 6, Calabar, and granted him bail. Till now, they are yet to complete investigations into that critical matter.
“INEC declared results. All of us know that if elections are held 20 times, Senator George Thompson Sekibo will win. INEC printed their own result sheets, same serial numbers; these people printed their own result sheets with same INEC serial numbers. You ask yourself, how did they get to know INEC serial numbers? Because they could not smuggle in their own result sheets, INEC declared the authentic results.
“Unknown to us, they had gone to connive with the police. That tells you what they want to do in 2019. Thank God, they have alerted us. Instead of them to write INEC to give them the certified true copies of the result sheets, they went to the police. Police are now in custody of INEC results. Police certified their own and gave them”.
The governor said that while INEC authentic results were rejected, that manufactured by the Police High Command was admitted by the tribunal.
He said: “I have no trouble with that, but I thought that the reverse should have been the case. It has opened our eyes ahead of 2019”.
In his remarks, Senator George Thompson Sekibo stated that Wike stood with him all through the struggle, and assured the governor of the support of Okrika people at all times.
He said contrary to insinuations, his loss at the Appeal Court has nothing to do with the so-called Ikwerre agenda.
Sekibo said: “I have been sacrificed and buried, but PDP will come back stronger and better. We shall stand with Governor Wike”.
Also speaking, former minister of transport, Dr Abiye Sekibo thanked Wike for his support for Sen Sekibo.
He said: “The Okirika people are a political force, and they stand behind Wike”.
Speaking on behalf of the traditional rulers, Amanyanabo of Ogu, King Nicholas Ibiebele Nimenibo, assured the governor of the support of Okrika people in the  discharge of his duties.
Meanwhile, the Rivers State Governor, Chief Nyesom Wike said the state have not lost confidence  in the judiciary despite the outcome of last Thursday’s Court of Appeal judgment in favour of All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate, Andrew Uchendu for Rivers East Senatorial District.
He reiterated his earlier stance that the judiciary is still the hope of the common man hence there was no need for one to criticize the courts when judgments do not favour one.
Wike, who addressed Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) stakeholders from Okrika and Ogu/Bolo local government areas in Government House, Saturday in Port Harcourt, said they have accepted the tribunal judgment.
The governor urged the constituents from Okrika and Ogu/Bolo to be calm and focused stressing that, ‘we will continue to have confidence in the judiciary.”
He wondered why a police report should supersede result from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), as he carpeted the police for compromising the outcome of the elections and frustrating the popular wish of the good people of Rivers East Senatorial District.
Wike criticized the police for raising false alarm while they were responsible for the breach and hiccups witnessed in the December 10th re-run elections.
On his part, Senator George Sekibo thanked the governor for being a pillar of support from the main elections and throughout the two re-run elections.
Sekibo described Wike as a dependable ally, “you are brother…And we won because you stood by us.”
Urging the people of his constituency to be calm, the senator assured that the judgment is not a setback but rather a shot in the arm to ensure that PDP becomes stronger and victorious in future elections.
He assured the governor of his constant support and steadfastness to the vision and goals of the PDP and to his administration.
“I will stand by the governor at all times, come rain, come shine,” Sekibo further declared.

Continue Reading

News

198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class

Published

on

A total of 198 students of the University of Benin (UNIBEN ) Edo State, bagged a First Class degree out of 14,083 students to be awarded first degree at the institution’s 51st Convocation and Founder’s Day ceremony.
Vice Chancellor of UNIBEN, Prof. Edoba Omoregie, disclosed this on Monday in Benin at a pre-convocation press briefing.
He said 4,217 students bagged a Second Class Upper,  7, 928 got a Second Class Lower, while 578 bagged a Third Class degree.
He said 15 new approved programmes by the National Universities Commission (NUC) would commence in the 2025/2026 academic session.
According to him, “The wheel of progress is on course and moving steadily in the University of Benin.  This administration is poised to deliver on its mandate of effective, practical teaching, sound learning, result-oriented research and impactful community service.
“We must applaud the President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, for establishing NELFUND, and by so doing significantly reducing the financial stress of students in the process of acquiring tertiary education.   We enjoin students and their parents to take full advantage of the federal government’s benevolence in instituting the fund.”
Prof. Omoregie disclosed that Nigeria’s Minister of Regional Development, Engr. Abubakar Momoh, would deliver the Founders’ Day lecture with the topic,  “Reforms for a Shared Prosperity”.
The UNIBEN VC said Director General of the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs and Former Vice Chancellor of Igbinedion University, Okada, Edo State, Professor Eghosa Osaghae, would deliver the Convocation Lecture on the theme, “Making Our Universities Great”.
Continue Reading

News

Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council  trains tra 1,000 teachers

Published

on

The last batch of 400 public school teachers in Bayelsa State on Monday commenced training under the sponsorship of Bayelsa Education Development Trust Fund (EDTF) and the British Council.
This batch will bring to 1000 the number of public school teachers in the state who have benefited in the partnership arrangement.School supplies
The EDTF, British Council and Teachers Training, Registration and Certification Board collaborated in the capacity development programme.
Speaking at the opening ceremony of the five day capacity building program, Commissioner for Education Dr Gentle Emelah reiterated the commitment of the Bayelsa government to training and capacity of teachers in the state.
He noted that the improved teaching methodology in the state was responsible for the state producing the best student in the 2025 West African School Certificate Examinations.
Prof Ebimiowei, Executive Secretary at EDTF, noted that the collaboration is aimed at improving learning outcomes for pupils and students of public primary and secondary schools in Bayelsa.
“You will agree with me that until the cutlass is sharpened, it will have no impact on the hands of the farmer and so it is with our teachers., you need to be sharpened very well to give good delivery in your various classes and schools.
“Let me at this juncture appreciate the British Council for accepting to train 1,000 teachers, 50 education managers and 60 trainers for Bayelsa,” he said.
On his part, Chairman of the EDTF board, High Chief Fidelis Agbiki expressed appreciation to the Commissioner for Education Dr Gentle Emelah for his supportive role to the fund.
Agbiki urged the beneficiaries to justify the enormous resources invested by the government of Bayelsa by being dedicated within the five days the exercise would last.
He said; “This board will not operate on business as usual but on business unusual as we will push the frontiers outside the box to ensure that we get value for money,” Agbiki said.
 Chairman of Development Partners Committee of the EDTF applauded the commitment of the partners for the successful completion of the programme, urging them to sustain the tempo
Speaking on the programme, Mr Fwanshishak Daniel, Head, English and Schools, British Council noted that the Bayelsa government had shown exemplary commitment to educational development.
He explained that the commitment has enabled the British Council and Bayelsa government to achieve within one year greater milestones that took other states three years to achieve.
He explained that the resources of the British Council have been made available to Bayelsa with the training of 60 resource persons from the state who will in turn train other teachers to improve education.
According to Daniel, the training will lay emphasis on new teaching methods, use of digital tools for self development and access to school amongst others.
Dr Peremoboere Ogola, Acting Chairman of TTRC, which facilitated training, thanked the EDTF for supporting training of teachers in Bayelsa with world class resources of the British Council.
She noted that another batch of newly recruited teachers are currently undergoing training at State government owned University of Africa, Toru Orua, Sagbama LGA in Bayelsa
Continue Reading

News

RSG INAUGURATES ARMED FORCES REMEMBRANCE DAY COMMITTEE

Published

on

The Rivers State Government has inaugurated a Central Planning Committee to organize the celebration of the 2026 Armed Forces Remembrance Day (AFRD) in the State.

The committee was formally inaugurated by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Benibo Anabraba in Port Harcourt, last Thursday.

Dr Anabraba who also serves as Chairman of the Committee

highlighted the State Government’s deep appreciation for the sacrifices of Nigeria’s fallen heroes who laid down their lives for the nation’s peace and unity.

“These heroes have given their lives for the security and peace of our nation and deserve to be celebrated. The Armed Forces Remembrance Day is an opportunity to show our gratitude for their sacrifice,” he said.

Dr. Anabraba further extended recognition to all Security Agencies in the State, emphasizing the importance of the event in appreciating their contributions to national security and sovereignty.

The annual Armed Forces Remembrance Day, observed on January 15 across the country is dedicated to remember Nigeria’s departed soldiers and honouring the nation’s veterans.

Continue Reading

Trending