Nation
THE STATES
Adamawa
Governor Mohammed Bindow of Adamawa State last Wednesday urged the military to intensify security on the Borno-Adamawa border, to check any attacks by the Boko Haram insurgents on Adamawa communities.
Bindow, made the call at the swearing-in ceremony of two newly-appointed Permanent Secretaries in the state.
They are: Mr Kennedy Batimaus, who until his appointment was a deputy permanent secretary in Ministry of Youths and Sports, and Abubakar Saliyu, a former Provost, College of Nursing and Midwifery, Yola.
The governor also advised residents of the border communities to be on alert and communicate any suspicious characters to the security agencies.
He said the insurgents were struggling to prove that they were not defeated, when the Federal Government had already decimated them.
Borno
The Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai, has decorated 65 soldiers with gallantry medals for outstanding performance in the counter-insurgency campaign.
The spokesperson of the 7 Division, Nigerian Army, Lt. Col. Emmanuel Kingsley, announced this in a statement released last Wednesday in Maiduguri.
Kingsley said that Buratai had last Tuesday decorated two officers and 63 soldiers in recognition of their prowess.
“Two officers and 63 soldiers serving under the 151 Task Force Battalion, 21 Brigade Nigerian Army, Operation Lafiya Dole, were decorated for their gallantry and bravery in the face of the enemy.
“On 10th July, the soldiers came under Boko Haram insurgents’ attacks on two separate occasions, but they were able to manoeuvre their way out of the ambush”, he said.
FCT
Protesters under the aegis of “OurMumuDonDo,” have vowed to continue the action, saying that no amount of intimidation would deter them.
In a statement in Abuja last week, by its Special Assistant on Media and Public, Mr Ezrel Tabiowo, the group said that nobody could discourage or intimidate its members on the mission.
It stated this at the backdrop of alleged harassment of its members by the Police during its peaceful sit-out on Tuesday in Abuja.
It also condemned reports credited to the Senate, distancing itself from the protest.
The Senate had said that President Muhammadu Buhari had not violated any law by being away from the country for health reason for a long time.
Kaduna
The Kaduna State Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board last Wednesday, said a total of 4,437 pilgrims from the state are now in Saudi Arabia for the 2017 Hajj.
The board’s spokesman, Yunusa Abdullahi, told newsmen in Kaduna that the remaining 2, 163 intending pilgrims would be transported in the next few days.
He said so far, 3,116 males and 1, 321 females were transported by the two airlines engaged by the board.
Abdullahi explained that Med-View Airline had transported 2, 230 intending pilgrims in seven flights while Max Air had transported 2, 209 pilgrims in four flights.
The spokesman told newsmen that Governor Nasir El-Rufai had visited the Hajj transit camp where he expressed satisfaction with the ongoing airlift operation.
Kogi
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), says it has registered 61,075 new voters in Kogi State.
The State Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC), Prof. James Apam, disclosed this last Wednesday in Lokoja at a meeting between the commission and leaders of political parties in the state.
He said that the new registrants were captured during the ongoing Continuous Voter Registration (CVR) exercise which started nationwide on April 7.
According to Apam, the voters comprised of 31,438 males and 29, 637 females.
The commissioner further stated that 2,189 cases of transfer of voter cards were treated while 3,060 damaged or defaced permanent voter cards were replaced for the owners.
Kwara
An Ilorin-based lawyer, Mr Jamiu Ahmed, has called on government at all levels to invest in road projects as a way of reducing accidents and save lives on Nigerian roads.
Ahmed made the call in Ilorin last Wednesday while speaking with newsmen.
He said that the numbers of lives and property lost to road crashes on the nation’s highways was worrisome and unacceptable.
The legal practitioner described the state of some Nigerian roads as “terrible,” adding that they had become nightmare and fast lane to death.
‘‘The lives of many innocent Nigerians have been lost due to the bad conditions of the road”, he said.
Lagos
The production and circulation of an anti-Igbo song in parts of Northern Nigeria is “embarrassing and unfortunate’’, Alhaji Balarabe Musa, a former governor of old Kaduna State, has said.
Musa told newsmen on telephone in Lagos that the content of the song did not reflect the true feelings of most northerners.
He described the promoters of the song, which calls for violence against the Igbos, as “criminals’’, whose objective is to threaten the peace and security in Nigeria.
The former governor stated that the song is a deliberate ploy by the originators to generate disaffection towards northerners.
Osun
Five hundred and forty Nigerians are set for deportation from Libya, beginning from August 10, the Director-General, National Agency for Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons(NAPTIP), Mrs. Julie Okah-Donli, has said.
Okah-Donli disclosed this last Wednesday in Osogbo, at the inauguration of the North-West Zonal Command Office of the agency.
She said that the deportees would be brought back to Nigeria in three batches of 180 each.
The NAPTIP boss said that more than 2000 Nigerians were deported from various part of the world from February till date, over various migration offences, including human trafficking.
Oyo
Residents of Ibadan, Oyo State, have called on the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), to create additional Continuous Voters Registration (CVR) centres in every ward in the country to enable more eligible voters to register and vote in the future elections.
They made the call last Thursday, while speaking with newsmen in Ibadan on their assessment of the exercise.
The residents noted that many eligible voters were yet to register in the exercise due to long distance from their places of abode to CVR centres.
Mr Michael Owoyeni, who resides at Alaakia area in Ibadan, said many residents in his area, especially youths who had reached voting age were yet to register.
Taraba
The Taraba State Police Command last Wednesday confirmed that four suspected kidnappers were killed by a mob at Tella in Gassol Local Government Area of Taraba State.
Spokesman of the command, Mr David Misal, told newsmen in Jalingo that the fifth suspect, Salisu Zakari, who narrowly escaped the mob action, was arrested and detained in the command.
He said the mob had forcefully removed the suspects from a local vigilante group station at Tella and hacked them to death.
“The incident occurred on August 6. Five people were sighted in Tella and were suspected to be kidnappers.
“They were arrested by a local vigilante group, but before being handed over to the police, a group of irate youths lynched them and threw their bodies into the river.
“One of the suspects escaped and was later arrested in Jalingo. He is presently in our custody,” he said.
Yobe
The Yobe State Police Command, has arrested officials of the state’s Pilgrims Welfare Board and Potiskum Local Government Council over alleged missing hajj fares paid by 41 intending pilgrims.
The command’s Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Jafiya Zubairu , a Deputy Superintendent of Police, confirmed the development to newsmen last Thursday in Damaturu.
According to him, officials from both organisations allegedly diverted deposits made by 41 intending pilgrims from the Potiskum Local Government Area, and could not secure visas for them.
The PPRO said: “The Criminal Investigation Department (ClD) arm of the command is currently investigating the matter.
“However, I cannot give the exact number of those involved and other details, as investigation is still going on.”
Zamfara
The Zamfara State Government recently announced Alhaji Muhammadu Bawa as the 18th Emir of Tsafe Emirate Council.
The State Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Alhaji Muttaka Rini, made the announcement in Gusau, the state capital.
Bawa replaced the former Emir, Alhaji Habibu Aliyu, who died last Wednesday at the Usmanu Danfodiyo University Teaching Hospital, Sokoto, after a brief illness.
Until his appointment, Bawa was the Chairman, State Community and Social Development Projects (CSDP).
Bawa started as a secondary school teacher and became a principal of various government secondary schools in old Sokoto State.
Nation
Youths Vow To Continue Protest Over Dilapidated Highway
Youths from five local government areas in Northern Cross River State have concluded a one-week warning protest and blockade of the dilapidated Ikom-Wula-Obudu federal highway over the weekend.
They have vowed to resume the road blocks if by this week the authorities do not intervene to fix the road.
More than five thousand locals, mostly youths from Obanliku, Etung, Obudu, Ikom and Boki LGAs trooped out everyday for one week, used palm trees to block the highway to draw state and federal government’s attention to their plights, requesting the repair of a road has has been unmotorable for about 40 years.
They warned that if they do not see any actions from the state or federal governments, they will resume their Plan B protest, stop revenue collections and make governance unpalatable.
The youths also warned that without interventions on the road which has claimed several lives, including that of last week when a pregnant woman died with her baby in the full glare of the protesters because of the terrible road, no election can hold in the area next year.
One of the leaders of the No Road , No Election protest, who is also the Abo Youths in Boki LGA, Dr Martins Assam said both the federal and state governments have neglected the region, which generates more than 70 percent state revenue from agriculture.
He said if machinery is not deployed by next week, they will not have any option than to embark on unpalatable and disastrous protest, and stop revenue collections in the area.
“Last week we had only a warning strike for one good week. We’ll embark on a more elaborate, disastrous one-month blockade of this highway until they intervene. We call on our Governor and representatives in the National Assembly to act now by impressing on the federal government to immediately fix this road else. We’re not asking for two much but to be treated as human beings.”
Another protester, Clinton Obi from the Etung axis said, “We’ve been neglected for 40 years. This Ikom-Obudu federal highway had been impassable. The government has removed its concentration from our plights. By this one week protest, we want action on this road otherwise the next phase of protest will be costly.”
Reverend Father Francis Amaozo, priest in charge of St. Nicholas parish in Nashua, Boki LGA said, “I have also been a victim of this very deplorable road. Enough is now enough. We’ve been betrayed by our representatives and other leaders, so that we in this axis have become endangered species on this road. I have lost some many members on this road.”
Member, representing the Boki-Ikom federal constituency of the state in the House of Representatives, Bisong Victor Abang had pleaded with the locals to be a bit more patient with the government as action will commence shortly.
Nation
UNIPORT VC Receives Inaugural Lecture Brochure As Professor Highlights Urgent Need For Drug Repurposing In Malaria Fight
The Vice Chancellor of the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT), Prof Owunari Georgewill, last Thursday received the inaugural lecture brochure from the Inaugural Lecturer, Professor Udeme Georgewill, during a ceremony at the university’s Centre of Excellence attended by academics, researchers, students, and distinguished guests.
Delivering her lecture, Professor Udeme Georgewill described the occasion as the culmination of years of dedicated research, teaching, and service to humanity. He explained that his work as a pharmacologist has consistently focused on finding practical, affordable, and scientifically sound solutions to health challenges that disproportionately affect developing countries, particularly malaria, which remains one of Nigeria’s most pressing public health concerns.
She noted that Nigeria continues to bear one of the heaviest malaria burdens globally, accounting for a significant percentage of worldwide cases and deaths. The disease, largely caused by the Plasmodium falciparum parasite and transmitted through Anopheles mosquitoes, remains especially dangerous for children under five years and pregnant women, threatening not only present populations but unborn generations. Despite years of intervention efforts, malaria continues to strain families, health systems, and the national economy.
Prof Georgewill empha-sised that while Artemisinin-based Combination Therapies such as Artemether-Lumefantrine remain the gold standard for malaria treatment, emerging resistance patterns pose a serious challenge. He explained that drug resistance is a survival mechanism of the parasite, enabling it to adapt and reduce the effectiveness of medications designed to eliminate it. According to her, instances where patients do not feel better after initial treatment sometimes lead to repeated dosing or the search for injectable alternatives, practices that can worsen resistance and complicate treatment outcomes.
Against this backdrop, she advocated strongly for drug repurposing as a strategic and urgent response. Drug repurposing, he explained, involves identifying new therapeutic uses for already approved and widely available medications. He likened the concept to “old wine in new wineskins,” stressing that medicines already proven safe for certain conditions can be carefully re-evaluated and optimised for new roles in malaria management. This approach, she argued, offers advantages such as reduced research timelines, lower development costs, and faster clinical application compared to developing entirely new drugs from scratch.
She disclosed that her research had progressed from laboratory investigations to clinical evaluations, where his team is studying combinations involving Artemether-Lumefantrine and Ivermectin to determine their effectiveness in improving treatment outcomes and possibly reducing transmission. Clinical trials are ongoing, and findings will be communicated upon completion of regulatory processes. However, he cautioned strongly against self-medication, warning that misuse of drugs without proper diagnosis and prescription can lead to organ damage, treatment failure, and increased resistance.
Referencing global health commitments, Prof Georgewill highlighted Sustainable Development Goal 3.3, which seeks to end epidemics of malaria and other major infectious diseases by 2030. She questioned whether the goal remains attainable under current realities, especially with growing resistance and funding gaps. He also referred to strategies of the World Health Organisation aimed at drastically reducing malaria incidence and mortality while pushing toward elimination in several countries.
Looking ahead, she revealed that her team is building comprehensive research databases to support artificial intelligence-driven drug repurposing. He stressed that the integration of artificial intelligence, molecular docking, and advanced screening technologies is transforming global drug discovery, and Nigerian researchers must be equipped to participate competitively in this evolving scientific landscape.
In her recommendations, she called for the establishment of a National Centre for Drug Repurposing to coordinate research efforts and leverage artificial intelligence in identifying new indications for existing medicines. He urged policymakers to simplify and accelerate the translation of laboratory discoveries into clinical application, ensuring that scientific breakthroughs benefit the public more efficiently. She also appealed to the university and relevant authorities to increase funding and modernise laboratory infrastructure, including high-throughput screening facilities, to strengthen Nigeria’s position in global biomedical research.
The lecture concluded with expressions of gratitude to God, the university leadership, colleagues, students, and guests, as the event underscored the University of Port Harcourt’s commitment to research excellence and its role in addressing critical public health challenges facing Nigeria and the wider world.
Nation
Niger CAN Rejects Proposed Hisbah Bill, Urges Gov Bago Not To Assent
The Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, Niger State Chapter, has rejected the proposed Niger State Hisbah Directorates Bill, describing it as controversial and capable of deepening religious division in the state.
In a statement signed by the State Chairman, Bishop Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, and made available to The Tide’s source yesterday, the association urged Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago not to assent to the bill if it is passed by the State House of Assembly.
The bill, sponsored by the member representing Chanchaga Constituency, Hon. Mohammed Abubakar, seeks to establish a Hisbah Directorate in Niger State.
CAN warned that the legislation could be perceived as discriminatory against Christians and may heighten tension in the religiously diverse state.
“Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago, we, the entire Christendom in the state, wish to draw your attention to what could easily create division among the people you govern,” the statement read in part.
The association questioned the necessity and benefits of the proposed law, asking what economic or social value it would add to the state.
It further argued that existing security agencies, including the Nigeria Police and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, already have constitutional mandates to maintain law and order.
The Christian body also faulted the legislative process, disputing claims that it was consulted during a public hearing on the bill.
It insisted that it was neither invited nor notified of any such engagement, despite being a critical stakeholder in the state.
