News
Fire Kills Two Children In Port Harcourt
A nine-year old boy, Destiny, and his younger sister, Babygril Ikeh were yesterday burnt to death following a fire out break that started from a burnt-out candle set by their mother, Mrs Ifeoma Ikeh, 32.
The incident, occurred behind Burning Bush Church, along Aker Road, Rumuolumeni, Obio/Akpor Local Government Area, Port Harcourt. The fire started at about 1.30am.
An eye witness and a neighbour, Mr. Oga Audu, told The Tide that the fire woke them up at about 2.00am, at which time, the makeshift accommodation of the Ikehs had already been burnt to ashes.
Audu explained that neighbours merely succeeded in stopping the fire from spreading to other buildings.
“In the morning, about 7.00am, while we were wondering where Ifeoma was, she arrived from outside. It was from her we heard that she had left the house the previous night leaving a candle on in the house”, he said.
He confirmed that Ifeoma’s second son, aged six, miraculously escaped from the house during the incident.
As at press time, the burnt remains of the two children were still in various sections of the building.
Efforts to reach Ifeoma and the surviving son proved abortive as the police in Rumuolumeni said they were still in their custody as investigation was on-going.
Meanwhile, The Tide’s investigation revealed that Ifeoma is a widow from Owerri, Imo State. Her husband died three years ago in a car accident.
Some neighbours, who spoke to The Tide on condition of anonymity, said Ifeoma has been known to lock her children inside the house at night and go out for prostitution.
They added that she lost her last child three months ago shortly after delivery.
As at the time of filing this report, the State Police Public Relations Officer, Ahmed Muhammad’s only response to several calls and SMS was ‘I’will get back to you”.
News
198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class
News
Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council trains tra 1,000 teachers
News
RSG INAUGURATES ARMED FORCES REMEMBRANCE DAY COMMITTEE
The Rivers State Government has inaugurated a Central Planning Committee to organize the celebration of the 2026 Armed Forces Remembrance Day (AFRD) in the State.
The committee was formally inaugurated by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Benibo Anabraba in Port Harcourt, last Thursday.
Dr Anabraba who also serves as Chairman of the Committee
highlighted the State Government’s deep appreciation for the sacrifices of Nigeria’s fallen heroes who laid down their lives for the nation’s peace and unity.
“These heroes have given their lives for the security and peace of our nation and deserve to be celebrated. The Armed Forces Remembrance Day is an opportunity to show our gratitude for their sacrifice,” he said.
Dr. Anabraba further extended recognition to all Security Agencies in the State, emphasizing the importance of the event in appreciating their contributions to national security and sovereignty.
The annual Armed Forces Remembrance Day, observed on January 15 across the country is dedicated to remember Nigeria’s departed soldiers and honouring the nation’s veterans.
