Nation
THE STATES
Ekiti
President Goodluck Jonathan, has assured that the
Federal Government will construct an airport and a secretariat in Ekiti State.
The President made the remarks in Ado-Ekiti while reacting to the request by Governor Kayode Fayemi during his one-day visit to the state.
According to the governor, Ekiti State is the only state among the six created in 1996 that is yet to have a Federal Secretariat.
Fayemi also complained that the non take-off of the airport project promised by the Federal Government was slowing down the pace of economic activities in the state.
He urged the President to facilitate the refund of the money spent by the state government on the construction and rehabilitation of some federal roads in the state.
FCT
The Primate of the Church of Nigeria (Anglican
Communion), Archbishop Nicholas Okoh, left Abuja last Sunday at the head of Nigeria’s 470-man delegation to Kenya, to attend the second Global Anglican Future Conference (GAFCON), which opened on October 21.
While in Nairobi, Okoh, will join leaders from Anglican Provinces in Africa, Asia, Australia, South America, UK and the U.S. to discuss the future of the Anglican Communion.
GAFCON was established in 2008 as a result of the strange teaching of western churches of the Anglican Communion, particularly on sexual preferences and homosexuality.
The maiden conference took place in Jerusalem in 2008, the same year Nigerian bishops pulled out from the Lambert Conference, the once-a-decade meeting of all Anglican bishops.
In a prayer and fasting session on October 15 in Abuja, Okoh urged Anglicans in Nigeria to pray for the security and success of the conference in Nairobi.
Kaduna
Governor Mukhtar Yero of Kaduna State has released
N710 million for the payment of leave and transport grants to all civil servants in the state.
This is contained in a statement signed by the Director-General on Media and Publicity to the Governor, Alhaji Ahmed Maiyaki, in Kaduna last Friday.
It said N195 million had also been released for the payment of scholarships to all indigenes in tertiary institutions.
The statement said that the state government had paid N120 million for the six years arrears of grants owed staff of the Kaduna State Water Board between 2005 and 2011.
Kano
The Kano State Government has promised to recover all
the money involved in the poorly-executed contracts for the construction of classrooms in the state capital.
This is contained in a statement signed by Alhaji Usman Bello, the Deputy Director (Press) in the office of the Deputy Governor, and issued in Kano recently.
It said the Deputy Governor, Dr Abdullahi Ganduje who is also the Acting Governor, made the promise when he visited the schools.
The statement said the schools are the Special Primary Schools at Fagge, Gobirawa and Dandago in Kano State.
Kwara
The Kwara State Independent Electoral Commission
(KWSIEC) last Sunday expressed its readiness to conduct Saturday’s local council elections in the state.
The Chairman of the commission, Dr Uthman Ajidagba, told newsmen in Ilorin that necessary machinery had been put in place to ensure a credible exercise.
He said security agencies and other stakeholders had been contacted to ensure a successful conduct of the election.
Ajidagba, however, said only three political parties had signified intention to participate in the election.
He listed the parties as Social Democratic Party, Labour Party and Peoples Democratic Party.
Lagos
A former member of the National Assembly, Mr Ehiogie
West-Idahosa, has lauded Governor Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State, for making kidnapping a capital offence in the state.
West-Idahosa, who represented Ovia North-East and South-West Constituency in the House of Representatives, said this while speaking with newsmen in Lagos.
“I am convinced that death penalty for kidnappers will definitely send the signal that the state is not ready to accept criminality,’’ West-Idahosa said.
He, however, said the law would only be successful if it would be properly implemented by the appropriate security agencies.
In its reaction, a human rights group, the Legal Defence and Assistance Project (LEDAP), opposed the law, saying it would not deter kidnapping in the state.
Ogun
The Chief Medical Director (CMD) of Ogun State
Hospital in Ota, Dr Babatunde Banuso, has called on the State Government to build more male wards in the hospital.
Banuso who made the call while speaking with newsmen in Ota, said the move would help to increase the intake of patients.
He added that there should be deliberate effort by the government to ensure that good amenities were in place to supplement the existing ones.
“The government needs to build additional male wards to avoid the hospital turning down emergency cases.
“We also need adequate facilities to save the lives of patients who require urgent attention in the hospital,’’ the CMD said.
Ondo
A fatal auto crash that happened at Igbara Oke,
Ifedore Local Government Area of Ondo State has claimed four lives while 14 others sustained injuries.
Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC), Commander in charge of field operations, in the state, Mr Joseph Ojerinde, confirmed the incident in an interview with newsmen in Akure last Sunday.
The officer said that the accident that happened at 6.30 p.m. was as a result of reckless driving by one of the drivers.
He said that the auto crash involved a Mazda bus, with registration number Lagos KSF 706 XF carrying 18 passengers and a Honda Accord saloon car with number AA 239 GBH.
“The two vehicles involved in the crash had a head-on collision.
Plateau
Medical authorities in Plateau State have confirmed
an outbreak of cholera in Namu village in the Qua’pan Local Government Area of the state.
Namu, a village at the Plateau and Nasarawa states border, hosts displaced people in the violent crisis that broke out in the Obi Local Government Area of Nasarawa State.
“Yes, there has been an outbreak of cholera in Namu village, eight people have been killed while 61 others have been hospitalised,’’ the Plateau State Epidemiologist, Dr Raymond Yuryit, said in Namu recently.
Yuryit spoke when he received the Executive Secretary of the Plateau State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), Alhaji Alhassan Barde, who had gone to assess the situation.
He said that those hospitalised had been diagnosed with the disease and had been admitted into various health centres.
Sokoto
The Sokoto State Government last Sunday said it
would spend over N2.86 billion on various projects in primary and junior secondary education sub-sectors.
The Secretary of the State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB), Alhaji Ibrahim Dingyadi, said this in an interview with newsmen in Sokoto.
Dingyadi said all the projects would be executed under the 2012/2013 FGN/ Sokoto State Government Intervention Funds initiative.
He said N1.95 billion would be spent on the construction of three model primary schools in Sokoto city and its environs.
Zamfara
The Police Command in Zamfara State says it has
started investigation into the attack on the motorcade of the acting Governor of the state, Alhaji Sanusi Rikiji, last Saturday.
The Public Relations Officer (PPRO), for the Police Command in the state, DSP Lawal Abdullahi made the disclosure while speaking with newsmen in Birnin-Magaji .
Abdullahi, who described the attack as “unfortunate”, said that the police would not fold its arms and allow such unbecoming behaviours by the youths.
He said that the police had deployed troops of mobile and regular police to maintain peace in the area.
The police image maker assured that anyone found involved in the attack would face “the full wrath of the law’’.
Nation
Northern Community Gets New Dan Buran In Rivers state
The Arewa /Northern Community in Rivers state has appointed Alhaji Shuaibu Wada Madawakin Tilda as the Acting Dan Buran Rivers State.
The appointment is subject to confirmation by the Cabinet Council.
The appointment follows the dethronement of the former occupant,
Alhaji Musa Saeedu.
A statement from the Palace of the Sarkin Arewa/Northern Community (Sarkin Hausawan) in Rivers State and signed by His Royal Highness, Alhaji Hussaini Isah said the dethronement is with immediate effect.
The statement further disclosed that the decision follows an allegation of acts of insubordination and conduct considered contrary to the values, discipline, and traditions of the Northern community perpetuated by the Fmr Dan Buran.
The statement advised the public to discontinue to recognising and addressing Alhaji Musa Saeedu as the Dan Buran of the State, adding that he no longer holds the title and remained suspended.
Responding via telephone interview, Alhaji Musa Saeedu said he will not make any comment regarding the matter.
Nation
French Teachers Day 2025: PH Celebrates International French Teachers Day
The Alliance Française of Port Harcourt opened its doors to more than sixty French language teachers from Port Harcourt and across Rivers State at the weekend for an afternoon dedicated to celebration, creativity, and community spirit.
The event which was Supported by the Embassy of France in Nigeria, forms part of the global celebrations marking the Journée Internationale du Professeur de Français (French Teachers Day) a day officially set aside to observe worldwide every 20 November.
The Tide Entertainment reports that every year, French teachers around the globe are honoured for the passion and dedication they bring into their classrooms.In 2025, the theme chosen “Chanter, jouer, enseigner: la francophonie en musique” (Sing, Play, Teach: Francophonie in Music) invited the entire community to explore the joy of teaching through song, performance, and artistic expression.
A Day that brings teachers together for the French teaching community in Port Harcourt, this celebration is much more than a ceremony, it is a rare moment to step away from the classroom and reconnect with the simple joy of sharing, learning, and creating together.
The Alliance Française transformed the occasion into a space buzzing with music and entertainment. Teachers from primary schools, secondary schools, universities, and adult learning centers gathered to exchange ideas, reconnected with colleagues, and discover each other’s talents in an atmosphere filled with warmth and friendship.
Honouring Creativity with the theme “Our Teachers Have Talent!”This year, the Embassy of France launched a national contest titled “Nos profs ont du talent!” (“Our Teachers Have Talent !”), participants were invited to either interpret or create a Francophone song.For a month, from 13 October to 13 November 2025, teachers from across the country submitted their performances online, filling the digital space with francophone music.While winners of this nationwide competition were announced.
According to the the Director, Mrs Marina Lacal, Alliance Française Port Harcourt, excitement and anticipation were added to the celebrations, saying that in Port Harcourt, the festivities went even further. Port Harcourt experienced a Unique Celebration that went beyond the online competition, Alliance Française Port Harcourt created something special, an event where teachers met physically, shared moment of joy, and present their musical talents live.On stage, teachers sang the songs they love and those they have created, showcasing the creativity that animates their classrooms every day.
She explained that that off stage, they( participants )shared stories, network with colleagues, laughed together, and celebrated their unique contribution to the promotion of the French language in Rivers State.This gathering is also a moment of recognition. Every day, French teachers open doors for thousands of learners, children discovering their first French words, teenagers preparing for exams, university students shaping their future careers, and adults embracing new opportunities.
“Today, the spotlight shines on them. More Than an Event, A Tribute to Their Dedication The 2025 celebration in Port Harcourt was a heartfelt tribute to the teachers who make French come alive, those who inspire, guide, and encourage learners with unwavering commitment,” Mrs. Lacal said
The Director explained that It recognises their resilience, their creativity, and their essential role in building bridges between cultures.By offering them a moment of relaxation, fun, artistic expression, and professional networking, Alliance Française Port Harcourt reaffirms its mission to support educators, strengthen the teaching community, and celebrate the vibrant energy of the Francophonie in Nigeria.
Climax of the exciting event was the presentation of prizes to winners of the competition.
Nation
OGONI ARISE CONCERT 2025: A Triumph Of Unity, Peace, And Cultural Pride
The Chairman Advisory Committee on Entertainment and Performing Arts, Khana Local Government Area, Hon. Lexy M. Mueka has expressed gratitude to the Chairman of Khana Local Government Area Dr. Thomas Bariere for his support and vision in promoting entertainment as a tool for peacebuilding and youth engagement.
Hon Mueka made this known to the Tide Entertainment during a recently concluded concert tagged “OGONI ARISE CONCERT” held at the No. 6 Field, Old Port Harcourt Township.
According to him, the concert was not just an event but a movement aimed at reawakening the cultural consciousness of the Ogoni people and inspiring the younger generation to use their talents positively.
The Tide Entertainment reports that the event, organized by Triple 3 Entertainment under the auspices of the office of the Chairman Advisory committee on Entertainment and Performing Arts to the Chairman of Khana Local Government Area, was a vibrant celebration of peace, unity, and cultural renaissance among the Ogoni people.
“Conceptualized as a platform to promote social harmony, empower young creatives, and showcase the rich artistic heritage of Ogoniland, the Ogoni Arise Concert succeeded in bringing together community leaders, entertainers, and the general public in a rare show of solidarity. The event featured electrifying performances by indigenous and regional artistes, dance troupes, comedians, and cultural ambassadors, all united under one message — Ogoni is rising again,” Hon. Mueka said.
“The Ogoni Arise Concert was designed to remind us of who we are — a people of strength, creativity, and unity. We wanted to show that entertainment can be a bridge for peace, a voice for our youth, and a celebration of our identity,” he added.
The event also featured a special Award Presentation Ceremony recognizing distinguished Ogoni sons and daughters who have made remarkable contributions in areas such as leadership, humanitarian service, creative excellence, and cultural promotion. The awards added a touch of prestige and purpose, reinforcing the concert’s theme of celebrating excellence while inspiring future generations.
Security at the event venue was top-notch, turnout of attendance impressive, and the atmosphere electric throughout the night.
Meanwhile, guests and participants had described the event as “historic, well-organized, and truly uplifting.”

