Nation
THE STATES
Adamawa
Ahead of the 2012 governorship election in Adamawa, many supporters of former Vice President Abubakar Atiku are staging a return to the ruling PDP.
Many aggrieved loyalists of Atiku had left the party in protest over the conduct of the PDP presidential primaries that ushered in President Goodluck Jonathan as the party’s flag bearer in the April polls.
It was also gathered that the influx into the PDP in the state may not be unconnected with reports in the local media indicating that Atiku had directed his supporters to work for the party’s success in the forthcoming council and governorship elections.
The spokes man of the former vice president, Mallam Garba Shehu, confirmed the development last Saturday, saying Atiku had always stressed the need for a united PDP in Adamawa.
Bauchi
As the administration of President Goodluck Jonathan marks 100 days, some residents of Bauchi town have called for a complete overhaul of the security system.
The residents told the newsmen that while the administration had done well so far in some areas, the security situation had been a source of concern.
They said the achievements of the administration had been over-shadowed by the frequent ‘‘bombings and ethno-religious conflicts’’.
AlhajiAbdullahi Tanko, the Chairman of Academic Staff Union of Secondary Schools, Bauchi State, said the situation was gradually de-generating and might get out of control if not checked.
Mr Austine Tsenzughul, a Bauchi-based journalist, lauded the efforts of the Federal Government toward tackling the security problem by increasing the number of police personnel.
Borno
Three persons were feared dead following a riot which broke out in Biu Local Government Area of Borno last Friday.
Eyewitnesses told newsmen in Biu that the crisis began after some suspected militants killed a military officer.
“Soldiers stationed in Biu stormed the township immediately the news filtered to them and began shooting indiscriminately,” Malam Isa Shehu, a witness said.
“No fewer than three persons were shot during the incident while dozens of shops were also set ablaze by the rampaging soldiers.
“But the incident led to mass riot as dozens of unemployed youths cashed in on the situation to ransack the town,” he said.
Shehu said the youths also destroyed some places of worship and government buildings during the riot before the military authorities took control.
FCT
Special Adviser says terrorism is contrary to Nigeria‘s traditional value
Dr Sarah Jibril, the Special Adviser to the President on Ethics and Values, said last Friday that acts of terrorism and senseless killings were contrary to Nigeria‘s traditional and cultural values.
Jibril made the remarks in a statement made available to newsmen in Abuja, insisting that Nigerians were peace loving people.
“Acts of terrorism through suicide bombing, improvised explosive devise and other forms of senseless killings and destruction are very profoundly unethical and represent everything contrary to the tradition, culture and religious values of Nigeria,’’ the statement said.
It said that Nigerians were not only peace loving people, but were very receptive and caring to foreign nationals and establishments in their midst.
Jigawa
A forum of students from states in the northern part of the country has pledged to play a role in tackling the mass failure of students from the area in the Senior Secondary School examinations.
This was contained in a communiqué issued last Friday in Dutse, Jigawa, at the end of the maiden meeting of the National Presidents of Northern States Students Forum (NAPNSSF).
The forum, which was formed recently and inaugurated in Jigawa, consists of presidents of the National Association of Students from the 19 states in the northern part of the country.
According to the communiqué, the rate of failure of students from states in the northern part of the country in WAEC and NECO was disturbing.
It said that as students in higher institutions from the area, they would play their part in changing the situation.
Kano
Elder statesman, Alhaji Tanko Yakasai, has urged President Goodluck Jonathan to ensure the implementation of his economic transformation agenda.
The veteran politician, said in Kano last Saturday that he was satisfied with the steps so far taken by the president towards realising the agenda.
Yakasai, who was the Presidential Adviser on National Assembly Matters to former President Shehu Shagari in the Second Republic, also commended the president for constituting an economic team of tested hands.
“By appointing the Economic Management Team under the leadership of our renowned international financial expert, Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, the president has taken the right step in the right direction.’’
Katsina
Katsina State Government has ordered the arrest of one Aminu Lawal, an accountant with the Kurfi Local Government Council of the state, over alleged diversion of the council workers’ salaries..
The order was contained in a statement issued last Friday in Katsina and signed by Alhaji Sani Makana, the State Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs.
The statement directed the Local Government Services Commission to suspend Lawal, pending the outcome of an investigation into the matter.
According to the statement, Lawal, an accountant in the works department, is being accused of diverting the council workers’ salaries for August.
It warned that the ministry would not tolerate any case of misconduct, pointing out any staff of the commission found wanting would not be spared.
Ogun
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has hinged the defeat suffered by the party in the South -West Zone during the April general elections on indiscipline among PDP members.
Obasanjo, who is the Chairman, Board of Trustees of the PDP, spoke last Saturday at the South-West Zonal Meeting of the party held in Abeokuta, Ogun State.
“Absolute indiscipline and gross violation of the party’s constitution was the bane of our party during the last general elections,’’ he said.
He also attributed the poor performance of the party during the elections to strong internal strife as well as lack of commitment and loyalty to the party.
The former president, however, encouraged PDP members in the zone to learn from the past and forge ahead.
Sokoto
Thirteen lives have been lost to gastro-enteritis within the last two weeks in Sokoto State, Alhaji Abdullahi Maigwandu, the State Commissioner for Health, said last Saturday.
Maigwandu told newsmen that the disease was localised to six local government councils in the state.
He listed the councils as Gwadabawa, Rabah, Wurno, Goronyo, Dange/Shuni and Tambuwal.
Maigwandu pointed out that the 13 deaths were recorded as at Friday (September 2) from the more than 726 cases recorded.
He said that the casualties included males and females as well as children and adults.
Taraba
The T.Y. Danjuma Foundation last Friday distributed relief materials to the victims of the recent flood disaster in Taraba.
Presenting the items to the victims at the three Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) Camps in Jalingo, the organisation’s Executive Director, Ms Thelma Ekiyor, said the donation was under the organisation’s “Quick Impact Grant Scheme.”
Ekiyor said it was necessary to promptly attend to the immediate needs of the victims because Taraba was the Foundation’s “home state”.
“Seeing people who have lost everything calls for the support of all Nigerians. Private Institutions and individuals should work with the government to assist the victims in flood affected states,” she said.
Yobe
A cross section of Nigerians in the North East geopolitical zone, has advised the Federal Government to instal scanning equipment on all highways across the country to check proliferation of arms.
This was the consensus of a group of people who spoke to journalists in an interview.
One of them, Alhaji Musa Habu , a Damaturu resident said last Friday that the scanning machines would assist security operatives to detect hidden arms and its movement across the country.
“Security operatives will remain helpless without the necessary working tools to check trucks and lorries that are heavily loaded with goods and possibly carrying hidden arms.
“Government should also mount the x-ray machines at all border posts and, the highways to check the contents of all vehicles as a measure to curb arms smuggling into the country” he observed.
Nation
RSG Hosts 2026 President’s Inter-SS Debate as Eight States Vie for National Crown
Eight states across Nigeria have converged in Port Harcourt for the 2026 edition of the President’s Inter-Senior Secondary Schools Debate Championship, hosted by Rivers State Government.
The three_days championship, themed “27th Democracy & 3rd Year Anniversary of President Ahmed Tinubu Inter-Senior Schools Debate Championship,” opened on Monday at Government Girls Secondary School, Rumueme, Port Harcourt.
The participating states are Ebonyi, Abia, Delta, Sokoto, Yobe, Kwara, Enugu, and host state Rivers. Each state is represented by its top debaters selected through state-level contests.
Declaring the event open, the Rivers State Commissioner for Education, Dr. Peters Nwagor, said the championship goes beyond winning trophies. He described it as a national investment in the next generation of leaders.
“This platform is for nurturing young minds,” Nwagor said. “It builds critical thinking, research skills, confidence, effective communication, and the ability to engage constructively with views different from one’s own. These are the very qualities upon which responsible leadership and nation-building are founded.”
The Commissioner commended the organizers, participating schools, teachers, and coordinators for their commitment to promoting intellectual excellence among Nigerian youths.
He urged the students to compete with confidence, discipline, and respect. “Debate is not merely about winning an argument,” he noted. “It is about listening carefully, reasoning with clarity, presenting your evidence with honesty, and having the grace to learn from others. Let the quality of your ideas and the strength of your character define your participation here.”
Nwagor assured the participants that Rivers State is proud to play its part in raising a generation that will bring bold and innovative solutions to the country’s challenges. He wished all teams a rewarding, memorable, and successful championship.
Earlier in his welcome address, the National Coordinator of the President’s Schools Debate Nigeria, PSDN, Elder Dare Oritu, called the event a “gathering of minds” drawn from different parts of the country.
According to Oritu, debate is about three things. “It is about _unity_. It brings us together from different schools and backgrounds to learn from one another. It is about _broadening the mind_. It teaches you to think deeply, to listen well, to ask ‘why,’ and to defend your ideas with facts and respect. It is about _preparing you for leadership_. The problem-solvers and decision-makers of tomorrow are in this hall today.”
He reminded the students that debate is not a contest of aggression. “Debate is _not a fight_. We challenge ideas, not people. It is _not about who is better_. And it is _not do-or-die_. We win with grace, and we learn with humility,” Oritu said.
The PSDN National Coordinator encouraged all participants to compete with integrity, speak with clarity, and leave wiser than they came. He wished them the very best throughout the competition.
Highlights of the opening ceremony included the official draw for debate matches, administered by PSDN officials. The pairings will determine which states face each other in the preliminary rounds as the battle for the 2026 national title begins.
Amadi Akujobi
Nation
NIIT Port Harcourt Graduates 61 Cybersecurity Students, Enrols 48 New Intakes
The National Institute of Information Technology (NIIT), Port Harcourt, has graduated 61 students from its six-month Cybersecurity training programme. The institute also inducted 48 new students for the new academic session during a brief ceremony held at its Port Harcourt centre on Monday.
Centre Manager of NIIT Port Harcourt, Mr. Precious Ogulu Tom, said the institute is always excited to induct students into cybersecurity because it is one of its flagship courses with strong international recognition. He noted that the centre’s performance has earned it high ratings from ICSS, adding that in the past academic year, more than 20 students passed ICSS certification exams.
According to him, beyond the NIIT certificate, which is globally recognized, students also proceed to ICSS and complete their courses without difficulty. He credited the faculty for maintaining standards and said NIIT remains the leading ICT training institute in Port Harcourt and Rivers State.
Tom said NIIT has a presence in all major cities in Nigeria and its headquarters in India, with training covering all areas of ICT. He added that every year the institute produces at least one first-class graduate in Software Engineering from partner universities such as Middlesex University and the University of Sunderland. He described the institute’s approach as practical and hands-on.
On fees, he addressed comments about cost online, saying quality training requires investment. “Does anything good come easy? Nothing good comes easy,” he stated. He explained that students receive industry-standard books and globally recognized certificates, and invited parents and prospective students to register with NIIT for value-driven training.
Also speaking, Principal Instructor for Cybersecurity and Ethical Hacking, Mr. Nyekwere TamunoTonye, said the cohort began in February with high expectations and completed the programme in six months. He said one notable achievement was that the class remained largely intact despite challenges, including system breakdowns and family issues. “At the end of this six months, we never lost anybody. That is the greatest. So, we give God the glory,” he said.
Nyekwere said students were exposed to multiple domains in cybersecurity and received strong practical training. He told the graduands that their real learning starts now and urged them not to relent. “This is no longer the time you go back to play,” he added.
He emphasized that the institute equipped them not only with technical and practical skills but also with character and a mindset for continuous learning. He noted that no institution, including Harvard or Yale, can teach everything, but good schools set the path, which NIIT has done.
He charged them to deploy their skills positively. “I don’t want to see any of you being arrested by the EFCC tomorrow. I don’t want to see any of you being arrested by the police. I don’t want to see any of you being arrested,” he said.
Senior IT Counselor and Head of Sales and Marketing, Mrs. Igbigbari Vincent-Eretoru, congratulated the graduands for completing the programme and defending their presentations according to NIIT academic standards. She said certificates are awarded in character and learning, and urged them to be good ambassadors of NIIT Port Harcourt by applying what they learned.
Responding on behalf of the graduates, Class Section Head Tamunotonyesia Epelle said many came in with questions and uncertainty about specializations but left with clarity, confidence, and technical competence gained through practical assignments, teamwork, and the instructor’s push to avoid mediocrity.
Nation
HYPREP Marks 15 Years Of UNEP Report, Highlights Major Cleanup Milestones
The Hydrocarbon Pollution Remediation Project (HYPREP) has commemorated the 15th anniversary of the release of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Environmental Assessment Report on Ogoniland, reaffirming its commitment to restoring the environment and improving the livelihoods of affected communities.
In a statement signed by the Project Coordinator, Prof Nenibarini Zabbey, to commemorate the anniversary, HYPREP described the anniversary as a significant milestone in Nigeria’s environmental restoration efforts, noting that the project has made remarkable progress in implementing the recommendations of the landmark UNEP report released on August 4, 2011.
The UNEP report had revealed extensive oil pollution across Ogoniland, severe environmental degradation, and serious public health risks resulting from decades of petroleum operations. It also recommended an initial $1 billion fund to commence the cleanup of the affected communities.
According to HYPREP, the Federal Government formally launched the Ogoni clean-up in 2016, while the Project Coordination Office was established in 2017 to drive the implementation of UNEP’s recommendations.
Zabbey said the current administration has continued to prioritise the project under the Renewed Hope Agenda.
Providing an update on the cleanup, the Project Coordinator disclosed that 30 of the 65 contaminated sites identified by UNEP have been fully remediated, while work is ongoing at several medium- and high-risk locations. It also stated that more than 1.5 million mangrove seedlings have been planted as part of what it described as the world’s largest restoration of oil-degraded mangroves, with over 1,000 hectares of shoreline already rehabilitated.
Zabbey further revealed that 49 Ogoni communities have been connected to potable water schemes through multiple water projects and booster stations aimed at providing safe drinking water across the region.
In the health sector, he said the 100-bed Ogoni Specialist Hospital in Kpite and the 43-bed Cottage Hospital in Buan are nearing completion, adding that several existing health facilities have been upgraded with modern medical equipment, while five ambulances have been donated to improve emergency healthcare services. The Project Coordinator also disclosed that a three-year human health biomonitoring study is being conducted in collaboration with the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).
On economic empowerment, Zabbey stated that the Project has created more than 8,000 direct jobs and trained thousands of Ogoni youths and women in various vocational and technical skills, including software development, cybersecurity, aviation, commercial diving, seafaring, mechatronics, and creative arts. The project also reported awarding scholarships to more than 1,000 students, providing grants to small businesses, and supporting persons living with special needs through skills acquisition programmes.
The statement further highlighted ongoing legacy projects, including the Ogoni Power Project and the Centre of Excellence for Environmental Restoration, which it said is about 96 per cent complete. HYPREP also welcomed the recent designation of the Ogoni Wetland as a Ramsar Site of International Importance and pledged to continue promoting biodiversity conservation and sustainable management of the ecosystem.
Marking the anniversary, Zabbey said the progress achieved over the past 15 years demonstrates the collective commitment of government, development partners, stakeholders, and local communities to restoring Ogoniland. He called for renewed collaboration to sustain the cleanup effort, promote environmental sustainability, and support the long-term development of the region. 3
-
News3 days agoRSG Targets Nine Million Residents in Mosquito Net Distribution Campaign
-
Oil & Energy2 days agoAiyedatiwa Signs New Electricity Bill
-
Maritime2 days agoMarine Minister Commends President Tinubu On NPERA Bill Assent
-
Oil & Energy2 days agoNLNG Commissions Research And Innovation Centre In RSU
-
News3 days agoKenPoly Holds Eight Convocations, August 29
-
News3 days agoRSG Begins Another Phase of Projects Commissioning Today
-
News3 days agoRMAFC Completes Revenue Sharing Review, Proposes New Pay
-
Maritime2 days agoNAGAFF Petitions IGP Over Alleged Maritime Police Harassment
