Connect with us

News

16,603, Ex-Militants Graduate From Amnesty Camp

Published

on

No fewer than 16, 603 repentant Niger Delta militants have so far received the mandatory transformational training on non-violence at the Federal Government’s post-amnesty camp in Obubra, Cross River.

Mr Frederick Anesah, the Camp Commandant, disclosed this in an interview with newsmen, in Obubra yesterday.

At least 20,192 ex-militants, who were granted amnesty by the Federal Government are expected to undergo demobilisation training at the camp

Anesah said that the batch 14 of the trainees, comprising 1,200 ex-militants from Rivers, had since June 23, been undergoing transformational training that would end on July 4.

He expressed the hope that the transformational programme would finish by the end of 2011.

He said: “They started coming to camp from June 23. The process started June 23rd and June 24th. On the 25th they started lectures. “They are still in the process of this transformational lectures being conducted by Foundation for Ethnic Harmony in Nigeria (FEHN).

“As far as I am concerned, they are doing very well. We have 1, 200 of them in the camp mainly from Rivers State. I could not believe that they are ex-militants.

“Their behaviour is very satisfactory.  There is hope and they are happy to be here. The facilities are okay.

“ But if we have more facilities, we would train them as quickly as possible and get this phase behind us and move to the next phase. This batch will pass out on the 4th of July.

“Hopefully we will finish the programme before the end of this year. The delay in finishing was because of the April general elections.”

One of the trainees, Okorepirite Okoroji, from Tombia in Rivers, told newsmen that he was a member of the Fara Dagogo Camp prior to his being invited to Obubra for the training.

He said: “Since we came, everything has been in order. We run our programmes without any problems. We have been taught many things about how to manage life and stay away from violence.

“We enjoy and like it. I have learnt some things. I know that in life, you manage and that in life if you want anything and you are determined, you will get it.

“It pays to be straight forward in life. You do not get things by force. You exercise patience and work toward something you want and you will get it.

“When I leave here, I will be humble and keep to instructions and urge my other colleagues to do the same so they will enjoy it. I now know that life is a gradual process.’’

Another trainee, Mohammed Jombo, said: “We believe life will be better now. In the creeks, I suffered and fought the government day and night.

“We struggled because they were drilling our oil but we were still undeveloped until Yar’adua called us and we agreed to give up our arms.

“Unfortunately, he (Yar’adua) died, but we still did not lose hope. We believe Jonathan will see us through and now we see ourselves here in Obubra. They are training us here well.

“I am from Bonny and the oil companies there are not treating us well. That is why we went into the struggle to take care of our families.

“I have learnt that I do not need to use the rifle to get anything I want now. We have to get what we want through dialogue. We now have to pursue our aims through peaceful means.

“ The country we believe would help us. If they do not help us, we would look for what to do again to carry on the action.

“I want my two children to graduate from school and that is why I am following up what the government is doing for us.”

Sunday Letura, another ex-militant in Osama Camp, said that one of his legs was amputated after he was hit by bullets in the camp where he served as an informant before he was demobilised.

“I was an informant in the camp. I normally warned my people of danger. This problem happened to me in the camp. It was a gunshot. I was shot in the leg by mistake.

“They arranged to treat me, but as it was not working, I was carried to the hospital, where the amputated me. As I am now I have desisted from the bad things I used to do to a new life now.

“That new life is that I will not use violence any more. I would like to be a businessman when I leave here, especially, dealing in building materials.

“Government should help me in this direction. I am married with children. I am 32 years old. I advise my people that when I was young, I was stubborn, but as stubborn as I was, I saw no benefit.

“Now I advise them to play cool and there is no need to be troublesome.’’

Meanwhile, the Special Assistant to the President on Niger Delta Affairs, Mr Kingsley Kuku, says only 26,358 ex-militants who accepted the Federal Government’s amnesty programme were given official recognition under the ongoing rehabilitation scheme.

He made the announcement yesterday in Abuja at an orientation course for 176 former militants who are to proceed for training on pipeline welding and marine engineering at Seina Marine in South Africa.

Kuku said the ongoing disarmament exercise in the Niger Delta was illegal and had nothing to do with the presidential proclamation being handled by the Amnesty Office.

He declared that as far as the Federal Government was concerned, the disarmament programme conducted by the presidential committee on amnesty had been concluded on May 25.

Kuku urged the Joint Task Force (JTF) to stop the purported disarmament exercise currently going on in the region in order to avoid disruption of the amnesty programme.

“When amnesty was proclaimed on June 25, 2009 only 20,192 persons complied with the presidential directive. An additional list of 6,166 beneficiaries was registered later.

“For me, amnesty has ended in the Niger Delta. Only 26,358 persons accepted the amnesty and they are they ones recognised by the Federal Government.”

Kuku explained that out of the 26,358 former militants who accepted the amnesty, 17,500 persons had been enrolled for degree and vocational skill programmes in Nigeria and abroad.

He urged the 176 former militants who would proceed for vocational training at Seina Marine in South Africa, to be good ambassadors of the country and desist from any act that would bring shame to the nation.

He warned that any trainee who commits any crime would be withdrawn from the training and brought home.

Continue Reading

News

NDLEA Intercepts Drugs Hidden In Clothes, Garri

Published

on

Operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) have intercepted consignments of cocaine and various opioids concealed in walls of cartons used to package cloths and other items going to the United Kingdom and Australia.

Spokesman of the agency, Femi Babafemi, in a statement shared on X yesterday confirmed the interdiction.

According to him, “The two seizures were recorded at a courier company in Lagos on Friday 15th May 2026 during examination of shipments going to the UK and Australia.

“A total of 170grams of cocaine sealed in cellophane parcels and buried in the walls of a carton of cloths heading to Australia were recovered.

“A wide range of opioids including: 200 ampoules of pentazocine injection; 1,100 capsules of tramadol and 100 ampoules of promethazine injection were recovered from another carton which has United Kingdom as its final destination”.

“In FCT Abuja, NDLEA operatives on Monday 11th May arrested a 29-year-old businessman Ogadi Peter who specializes in producing drug laced cakes and cookies for parties and social gatherings in the capital city.

“Following credible intelligence, he was traced to his home in Life Camp area of the FCT where he was nabbed while 800grams of skunk and 2.70kg drug laced cookies recovered from him”.

“In Delta state, NDLEA operatives on Sunday 10th May, raided Ejeonu village in Ukwuani local government area where they destroyed 27,500 kilograms of skunk on 11 hectares of farmland and recovered 22.9kg of same substance while a 52-year-old suspect Ifeanyichukwu Peter was arrested in a follow up operation at Obiaruku.

“A similar raid in Orogun village, Ughelli North LGA on Tuesday 12th May led to the destruction of 37,500 kilograms and recovery of 55.4kg of same psychoactive substance on 15 hectares of farm as well as the arrest of 30-year-old Godwin Vincent Osadera.

“This brings the total weight of skunk destroyed by NDLEA operatives supported by soldiers in the two operations to 65,000 kilograms”.

“In Kaduna State, 361kg of skunk was recovered during a raid operation at Dan Magaji area of Zaria town on Wednesday 13th May. and a suspect Husaini Suleiman, 42 ,was arrested.

“A large cache of military-grade ammunition was intercepted by NDLEA officers on patrol along Abuja-Kaduna highway, Kaduna on Tuesday 12th May.

“A suspect, 35-year-old Abdullahi Hassan was caught conveying the 1, 989 rounds of RLA 7.62mm concealed in fresh white cassava granules locally known as garri.

“Both the suspect and exhibit have since been transferred to another security agency for further investigation’.

Also, a total of 181kg skunk was recovered from a suspect Aliyu Sani when NDLEA operatives raided the Ogere area of Ogun state on Wednesday 13th May, while another suspect Sufiyanu Mohammed Misa, 27, was arrested with 105,850 pills of opioids including tramadol, diazepam and exol-5 along Zaki- Biam road Wukari LGA, Taraba state on Thursday 14th May.

In Oyo State, two suspects: Adeleke Olamide Aliyah, 20, and Aloba Abdulazeez, 25, were arrested on Thursday, 14th May at Challenge II, Saki town, in connection with the seizure of 99 litres of skuchies.

NDLEA also said a total of 1,388.4175 kilograms of skunk were destroyed on two farms on Friday, 15th May when NDLEA officers raided Ago forest, Orhionmwon LGA, Edo state.

A 25-litre jerry can of palm oil used to conceal 1.2kg pills of tramaking 225mg was recovered from Kofar Ruwa motor park in Kano on Monday, 11th May following credible intelligence while a suspect Aminu Isa, 35, was arrested at Sabuwar Sharada area of the state same day with 30.5kg skunk.

The War Against Drug Abuse (WADA) social advocacy activities by NDLEA Commands equally continued across the country in the past week including: WADA sensitization lecture delivered to students and staff of The Apostolic Church Model College, Ijokodo, Ibadan Oyo State; School of Health Technology, Lambata, Niger state; Yewa Junior High School, Agege, Lagos; Government Secondary School, Yardaje, Katsina; Igogo Commercial High School, Igogo Ekiti and Government Girls Secondary School, Magwan, Kano state; among others.

While commending the officers and men of DOGI, Delta, Kaduna, Oyo, Taraba, Kano, FCT and Edo Commands of the Agency for the arrests and seizures of the past week, Chairman/Chief Executive Officer of NDLEA, Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (Rtd) also praised their counterparts in all the commands across the country for pursuing a fair balance between their drug supply reduction and drug demand reduction efforts.

Continue Reading

News

Five Die In Abuja Building Collapse

Published

on

No fewer than five persons have been confirmed dead after a three-storey building under construction collapsed in the Durumi 3 area near Gudu Market in the Abuja Municipal Area Council of the Federal Capital Territory on Saturday morning.

Ten other persons were rescued alive from the rubble, according to the media aide to the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Lere Olayinka, who provided an update on the incident via his X handle on Saturday.

Olayinka further stated that the Mandate Secretary of the Health Services and Environment Secretariat of the Federal Capital Territory Administration, Dr Adedolapo Fasawe, who visited the site, disclosed that the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, had directed that “all casualties be given free medical treatment.”

According to him, emergency responders continued efforts to evacuate more victims believed to be trapped beneath the rubble.

Officials of the Federal Fire Service, health workers, security agencies and local volunteers were at the scene working to rescue victims.

Recall that in April, six persons were injured following a similar collapse of a two-storey building under construction in Jikwoyi within the AMAC area.

Continue Reading

News

Odu Charges Newlyweds To Build Marriage On Love

Published

on

Rivers State Deputy Governor, Prof. Ngozi Odu, has charged newlywed couples to build their marriages on the virtues of love as taught in the Word of God.

Prof. Odu gave the charge at the wedding ceremony of Amblessed Favour Sunny-Cookey and Samson Jesuganji at Lifegate Power Ministries, Dominion Cathedral, in Port Harcourt at the weekend.

This was contained in a statement by the Head of Press, Deputy Governor’s Office, Owupele Benebo last Saturday.

The statement identified the bride as the daughter of Pastor Sunny Cookey, the Founder and Presiding Pastor of Lifegate Ministries.

The deputy governor congratulated the couple on a new phase of life, and prayed for God’s blessings upon their union, noting that the couple were raised by godly parents and encouraging them to uphold the Christian values instilled in them.

Referring to the sermon delivered during the ceremony, Odu emphasized that the principles of love and submission remain fundamental to a successful marriage.

According to her, genuine love reflects the nature of God, stressing that love should remain the foundation of the couple’s relationship as they journey through life together.

She prayed for enduring peace, happiness, and progress in their home, expressing confidence that the marriage would continue to flourish under God’s guidance.

The deputy governor commended the families of the couple for their support and upbringing, while urging the newlyweds to always remember the significance of the day and the commitment they had made before God and witnesses.

In his sermon at the wedding, the Founder and Presiding Pastor of Salvation Ministries, Pastor David Ibiyeomie, stated that marriage did not originate from Western culture, traditions, or human ideas, but from God, whom he described as the “manufacturer” of marriage.

According to the cleric, couples seeking lasting and peaceful homes must rely on biblical principles rather than societal trends or assumptions.

He explained that many marital crises and rising divorce rates stem from ignorance and failure to apply scriptural teachings in family life.

Drawing from the biblical parable of building a house on a rock, Ibiyeomie said the Word of God remains the only solid foundation capable of sustaining marriages through challenges and difficult times.

He noted that marriage naturally comes with unexpected realities and pressures, stressing that religious ceremonies or cultural practices alone are not enough to sustain a home without proper understanding of God’s instructions.

The pastor further warned that ignorance of scripture remains one of the greatest weapons against believers, urging Christians to study and practice the Word of God rather than merely attending church services.

The ceremony had many ministers in attendance including Apostle Zilly Aggrey, Pastor George Izunwa, and Bishop Winston Iwo.

 

Continue Reading

Trending