Connect with us

Nation

THE STATES

Published

on

Adamawa

Stakeholders in Mubi, Adamawa, on Monday urged INEC to ensure prompt and adequate distribution of election materials for the April 9 National Assembly elections.

The elections could not hold last Saturday due to the non-delivery of election materials, forcing the electoral commission to shift the polls to April 9.

The stakeholders, including voters, political parties and their candidates, called for effective measures to ensure early distribution of election materials across the country.

A cross-section of the stakeholders told the newsmen in separate interviews that the need for adequate preparation was imperative to forestall any recurrence.

 

Bauchi

 

Governor Isa Yuguda of Bauchi on Monday expressed confidence in the ability of the Prof. Attahiru Jega-led INEC to conduct credible elections in spite of the initial hitches that led to the rescheduling of the polls.

 In a statement in Bauchi  signed by the Senior Special Assistant on Media to the governor, Malam Sanusi Muhammad, said the postponement would give INEC enough time to perfect its ‘’strategies’’.

“INEC was faced with some teething problems, which forced it to readjust the various dates for the elections to enable it, strategise and restore the confidence of the international community in the country’s electoral process.

“The postponement of the elections should be seen as part of the strategy by INEC to give Nigerians a credible election,” it said.

 

FCT

 

 The police in Gwagwalada on Monday said 34 persons were arrested in Dobi, Gwagwalada Area Council of the FCT, over a clash between PDP and ANPP supporters in the area.

The Divisional Police Officer (DPO) in the area, CSP Charles Mozie, who confirmed the arrest to newsmen in Gwagwalada, expressed dismay over the persistent political violence in the community.

Mozie said dangerous weapons like machetes, axes, daggers as well as bows and arrows were recovered.

The dangerous weapons, he said, were recovered from five of the suspects whose cases would be referred to the State Criminal Investigation Department for further investigation.

He warned residents against involvement in political violence, noting that the police would no longer tolerate lawlessness in the community..

 

Gombe

 

Mr Godfrey Miri, INEC Resident Electoral Commissioner in Gombe, has debunked speculations that a prominent personality in the state was caught with ballot papers during the botched National Assembly election.

Miri told newsmen on Monday in Gombe that the unfounded rumour had circulated widely within and outside the state.

He said, “There is no way a politician will tamper with the ballot papers because they have serial numbers.

“I am appealing to people to please ignore such rumours because the same people tomorrow will say there was rigging during the election.

“INEC of today is different from the one you knew in 1991, 2003 and 2007. This time around it is a different game.”

The commissioner also said that during the botched election, some people refused to be accredited before the exercise because they believed that it was a waste of time.

 

Kaduna

 

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Kaduna State says it has retrieved the electoral materials that were distributed for the botched National Assembly polls.

The INEC Administrative Secretary in the state, Alhaji Musa Adamu, said in Kaduna on Monday that all the sensitive and non-sensitive materials had been recovered from the local government areas.

Adamu told mewsmen that INEC was taking stock “to ascertain what had either been used or lost” during the aborted poll and to get them replenished.

He said that the commission and its staff were on top of the situation, and gave the assurance that “a credible poll will be conducted with the cooperation of the political parties, candidates, supporters and observers’’.

Adamu said that it was untrue that the commission’s office at Anchau in Kubau Local Government Area was burnt down because of the postponed election.

 

Kebbi

 

The CPC governorship candidate in Kebbi, Alhaji Abubakar Mallam, has welcomed the shift in election dates, saying the party would consolidate on its strength.

Alhaji Addullahi Zuru, who spoke on behalf of the candidate, told newsmen in Birnin Kebbi on Monday that the CPC had mobliised its voters for the elections.

The candidate said the party was fully prepared for the governorship election as it had conducted adequate campaign.

He called on voters not to be discouraged by the change in election as it had conucted adequate campaign.

He called on voters not to be discouraged by the change in relection dates, adding: “We have shown the people in the state that what is required for rapdid development is a change in leadership.

 

Nasarawa

 

Mr Baba Ayiwulu, the President, Nasarawa State Law Students, Nigerian Law School 2009/2010 set, on Monday in Lafia, urged beneficiaries of the bursary and Law School allowances to be prudent.

Ayiwulu, who gave the advice in an interview with newsmen, said that the advice became necessary to enable the students to enhance their academic pursuit and for the over all development of the state.

He expressed delight that the financial assistance would enable the students to service their debts especially those who borrowed to pay their Law School fees..

The president said that the students had passed a vote of confidence on the Commissioner for Education in the state, Mr Suleiman Ubam, and the Chairman, Nasarawa State Scholarship Board, Mr Joseph Umaru.

 

Niger

Ustaz Mustapha Umaru-Edota, former Chairman of Bida Local Government Council of Niger, has described the call for INEC Chairman Attahiru Jega to step down as misplaced.

Reacting to INEC’s postponement of the April general elections in an interview with the newsmen in Bida on Monday, Umaru-Edota said Jega should be given time to fine-tune his programme.

“The decision is a step in the right direction as long as it will give him time to conduct credible, peaceful, free and fair elections that Nigerians have been yearning for,” he said.

He further observed that because of his desire to carry everyone along, the INEC chairman had consulted with all the stakeholders before taking the decision.

“They all agreed and were on a common ground, unlike what we use to witness in the past,” the former chairman said.

Umaru-Edota said that rather than criticise Jega, Nigerians should commend him for the arrangement he was making for the elections.

He observed that with Jega in charge at INEC, Nigerians should be confident that they would get the best.

Umaru-Edota, however, advised the INEC chairman to rise to the challenge of holding credible elections and deliver acceptable results at the end of the exercise.

 

Oyo

 

A 26-year-old driver/mechanic, Saheed Raji, on Monday in Ibadan, committed suicide by hanging himself in his one room apartment at Oke-Sapati, Beere.

The father of the deceased, Mr Lasisi Raji, told our correspondent that the late driver was last seen at 9 p.m. on Sunday.

Raji  that his son, until his death, had four children and a wife who left him two years ago.

He described the deceased as a gentle man who never fought with anybody, but quickly added that his son was fond of taking beer after the day’s work.

He confirmed that policemen from Mapo Police Station had visited the scene and removed the lifeless body from the ceiling of the room.

Raji told the police that he did not suspect any foul play but expressed surprise that his son commit suicide.

An officer at the Mapo Police Station who did not want his name mentioned confirmed the incident.

 

Plateau

 

Plateau Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board says it has commenced the collection of Hajj deposits people prospective to perform the 2011 Hajj exercise.

Its Executive Secretary, Alhaji Salisu Musa, told newsmen in Jos on Monday that the board was receiving N350, 000 each from intending pilgrimsas initial deposit pending the final announcement of the fare by the National Commission.

“What we doing is to receive the monies gradually to give intending pilgrims ample time to pay up.

“The early payment of the deposits will assist the board to make adequate arrangement for the pilgrim at home and in the Holy land,’’ he declared, stressing that the step would guard against any fire brigade approach as was done in the past.

 

 Yobe

Yobe  State Deputy Governor Abubakar Ali says the free drugs programme for pregnant women and children initiated two years ago has reduced the rate of maternal and infant mortality in the state.

Ali, who is also Commissioner for Health, stated this in an interview with the newsmen in Damaturu on Monday.

“There has been gross increase in women patronising hospitals for ante and post natal check-ups, which has tremendously reduced complications in childbirth.

“The Federal Government intervention of posting 124 midwives to the state under the National Midwifery Service Scheme (MSS) has tremendously boosted our strength in health personnel to tackle maternal and child related issues,” the Deputy Governor said.

He explained that government procured drugs and consumables worth N20 million monthly for the free drug programme.

According to him, the free drugs are available in all government hospitals and clinics across the state.

“To ensure sustainability and availability of the free drugs, government is constructing a store for the programme within the Ministry of Health in the state.

Continue Reading

Nation

Youths Vow To Continue Protest Over Dilapidated Highway

Published

on

Youths from five local government areas in Northern Cross River State have concluded a one-week warning protest and blockade of the dilapidated Ikom-Wula-Obudu federal highway over the weekend.
They have vowed to resume the road blocks if by this week the authorities do not intervene to fix the road.
More than five thousand locals, mostly youths from Obanliku, Etung, Obudu, Ikom and Boki LGAs trooped out everyday for one week, used palm trees to block the highway to draw state and federal government’s attention to their plights, requesting the repair of a road has has been unmotorable for about 40 years.
They warned that if they do not see any actions from the state or federal governments, they will resume their Plan B protest, stop revenue collections and make governance unpalatable.
The youths also warned that without interventions on the road which has claimed several lives, including that of last week when a pregnant woman died with her baby in the full glare of the protesters because of the terrible road, no election can hold in the area next year.
One of the leaders of the No Road , No Election protest, who is also the Abo Youths in Boki LGA, Dr Martins Assam said both the federal and state governments have neglected the region, which generates more than 70 percent state revenue from agriculture.
He said if machinery is not deployed by next week, they will not have any option than to embark on unpalatable and disastrous protest, and stop revenue collections in the area.
“Last week we had only a warning strike for one good week. We’ll embark on a more elaborate, disastrous one-month blockade of this highway until they intervene. We call on our Governor and representatives in the National Assembly to act now by impressing on the federal government to immediately fix this road else. We’re not asking for two much but to be treated as human beings.”
Another protester, Clinton Obi from the Etung axis said, “We’ve been neglected for 40 years. This Ikom-Obudu federal highway had been impassable. The government has removed its concentration from our plights. By this one week protest, we want action on this road otherwise the next phase of protest will be costly.”
Reverend Father Francis Amaozo, priest in charge of St. Nicholas parish in Nashua, Boki LGA said, “I have also been a victim of this very deplorable road. Enough is now enough. We’ve been betrayed by our representatives and other leaders, so that we in this axis have become endangered species on this road. I have lost some many members on this road.”
Member, representing the Boki-Ikom federal constituency of the state in the House of Representatives, Bisong Victor Abang had pleaded with the locals to be a bit more patient with the government as action will commence shortly.

Continue Reading

Nation

UNIPORT VC Receives Inaugural Lecture Brochure As Professor Highlights Urgent Need For Drug Repurposing In Malaria Fight

Published

on

The Vice Chancellor of the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT), Prof Owunari Georgewill, last Thursday received the inaugural lecture brochure from the Inaugural Lecturer, Professor Udeme Georgewill, during a ceremony at the university’s Centre of Excellence attended by academics, researchers, students, and distinguished guests.
Delivering her lecture, Professor Udeme Georgewill described the occasion as the culmination of years of dedicated research, teaching, and service to humanity. He explained that his work as a pharmacologist has consistently focused on finding practical, affordable, and scientifically sound solutions to health challenges that disproportionately affect developing countries, particularly malaria, which remains one of Nigeria’s most pressing public health concerns.
She noted that Nigeria continues to bear one of the heaviest malaria burdens globally, accounting for a significant percentage of worldwide cases and deaths. The disease, largely caused by the Plasmodium falciparum parasite and transmitted through Anopheles mosquitoes, remains especially dangerous for children under five years and pregnant women, threatening not only present populations but unborn generations. Despite years of intervention efforts, malaria continues to strain families, health systems, and the national economy.
Prof Georgewill empha-sised that while Artemisinin-based Combination Therapies such as Artemether-Lumefantrine remain the gold standard for malaria treatment, emerging resistance patterns pose a serious challenge. He explained that drug resistance is a survival mechanism of the parasite, enabling it to adapt and reduce the effectiveness of medications designed to eliminate it. According to her, instances where patients do not feel better after initial treatment sometimes lead to repeated dosing or the search for injectable alternatives, practices that can worsen resistance and complicate treatment outcomes.
Against this backdrop, she advocated strongly for drug repurposing as a strategic and urgent response. Drug repurposing, he explained, involves identifying new therapeutic uses for already approved and widely available medications. He likened the concept to “old wine in new wineskins,” stressing that medicines already proven safe for certain conditions can be carefully re-evaluated and optimised for new roles in malaria management. This approach, she argued, offers advantages such as reduced research timelines, lower development costs, and faster clinical application compared to developing entirely new drugs from scratch.
She disclosed that her research had progressed from laboratory investigations to clinical evaluations, where his team is studying combinations involving Artemether-Lumefantrine and Ivermectin to determine their effectiveness in improving treatment outcomes and possibly reducing transmission. Clinical trials are ongoing, and findings will be communicated upon completion of regulatory processes. However, he cautioned strongly against self-medication, warning that misuse of drugs without proper diagnosis and prescription can lead to organ damage, treatment failure, and increased resistance.
Referencing global health commitments, Prof Georgewill highlighted Sustainable Development Goal 3.3, which seeks to end epidemics of malaria and other major infectious diseases by 2030. She questioned whether the goal remains attainable under current realities, especially with growing resistance and funding gaps. He also referred to strategies of the World Health Organisation aimed at drastically reducing malaria incidence and mortality while pushing toward elimination in several countries.
Looking ahead, she revealed that her team is building comprehensive research databases to support artificial intelligence-driven drug repurposing. He stressed that the integration of artificial intelligence, molecular docking, and advanced screening technologies is transforming global drug discovery, and Nigerian researchers must be equipped to participate competitively in this evolving scientific landscape.
In her recommendations, she called for the establishment of a National Centre for Drug Repurposing to coordinate research efforts and leverage artificial intelligence in identifying new indications for existing medicines. He urged policymakers to simplify and accelerate the translation of laboratory discoveries into clinical application, ensuring that scientific breakthroughs benefit the public more efficiently. She also appealed to the university and relevant authorities to increase funding and modernise laboratory infrastructure, including high-throughput screening facilities, to strengthen Nigeria’s position in global biomedical research.
The lecture concluded with expressions of gratitude to God, the university leadership, colleagues, students, and guests, as the event underscored the University of Port Harcourt’s commitment to research excellence and its role in addressing critical public health challenges facing Nigeria and the wider world.

Continue Reading

Nation

Niger CAN Rejects Proposed Hisbah Bill, Urges Gov Bago Not To Assent

Published

on

The Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, Niger State Chapter, has rejected the proposed Niger State Hisbah Directorates Bill, describing it as controversial and capable of deepening religious division in the state.
In a statement signed by the State Chairman, Bishop Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, and made available to The Tide’s source yesterday, the association urged Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago not to assent to the bill if it is passed by the State House of Assembly.
The bill, sponsored by the member representing Chanchaga Constituency, Hon. Mohammed Abubakar, seeks to establish a Hisbah Directorate in Niger State.
CAN warned that the legislation could be perceived as discriminatory against Christians and may heighten tension in the religiously diverse state.
“Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago, we, the entire Christendom in the state, wish to draw your attention to what could easily create division among the people you govern,” the statement read in part.
The association questioned the necessity and benefits of the proposed law, asking what economic or social value it would add to the state.
It further argued that existing security agencies, including the Nigeria Police and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, already have constitutional mandates to maintain law and order.
The Christian body also faulted the legislative process, disputing claims that it was consulted during a public hearing on the bill.
It insisted that it was neither invited nor notified of any such engagement, despite being a critical stakeholder in the state.

Continue Reading

Trending