Featured
Gunmen Kill 26 In Sokoto Raids …Boko Haram Attacks Military Base In Borno …As Buhari Decorates New IGP, Adamu
At least, 26 people were killed after armed bandits raided several villages in Nigeria’s northern Sokoto State, police said yesterday.
Armed bandits on motorcycles attacked Warwana, Tabkin Kwasa and Dutsi, a trio of neighbouring villages in Rabah district, late Sunday, shooting residents as they fled. Gunmen hit police station “Twenty six people were killed in the attack — they included 24 males and two females,” Sokoto State Police Commissioner Murtala Usman Mani told newsmen.
The criminals came on motorcycles and attacked three herding settlements, shooting people,” said Mani, who attended the victims’ funerals last Monday.
Residents said the gunmen rode into the villages on two dozen motorcycles, three men on each. “They attacked around 5:00 pm (1600 GMT) and began shooting people without warning,” Warwana resident Kabiru Jabbi said. The three villages border Zamfara state where kidnapping and cattle rustling gangs operate.
The gunmen were believed to have launched the attacks from Zamfara forests where the gangs are based, Mani said.
In July last year armed bandits killed more than 30 people and torched homes in raids on five villages bordering Sokoto and Zamfara states, two of them in Rabah district.
Farming and herding communities in Zamfara state have long been terrorised by such gangs who raid villages, stealing cattle, kidnapping residents for ransom and burning homes.
The incessant attacks prompted villages to form local vigilante groups as a protection force but they are themselves accused of extrajudicial killings of suspected bandits.
The killings by vigilantes attract reprisals by motorcycle-riding criminal gangs who carry out indiscriminate killings and burn villages in retaliation. In April, the Nigerian central government deployed troops to Zamfara to combat the gangs while police outlawed the vigilantes to end the tit-for-tat killings.
It was not clear whether the latest attacks were connected with the face-off between the bandits and vigilante groups.
Also, Boko Haram fighters attacked a military base in remote northeast Nigeria, setting fire to shelters for those made homeless by the conflict, military and humanitarian sources told newsmen yesterday.
The attack in Rann, some 175 kilometres (110 miles) northeast of the Borno state capital, Maiduguri, began late on Monday afternoon and forced civilians to flee.
It followed a pattern by the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) faction of Boko Haram that has called into question government claims the group is virtually defeated.
A similar attempt was made to take over a military base in Magumeri, 50 kilometres northwest of Maiduguri, last Sunday, a local community leader said.
Rann currently hosts some 35,000 internally displaced people (IDPs), according to the International Organization for Migration.
It has been repeatedly hit in the conflict, exacerbating already dire humanitarian conditions on the ground.
A military source in the Borno state capital, Maiduguri, said the attack began at about 5:20 pm (1620 GMT) last Monday.
“The terrorists took over a military position in Rann following heavy fighting,” he said on condition of anonymity.
Poor visibility because of seasonal Harmattan winds hampered the deployment of air force jets, and troops were forced to withdraw, he added.
“The terrorists went about setting fire to camps and shelters of IDPs. Most people have fled the town into the bush but we have no details of casualties at the moment.”
An aid worker in Maiduguri added: “We have been in touch with some aid workers in Rann, who said the town had been taken by ISWAP and camps were being burned.
“They had to flee towards Bulale on the Cameroon side of the border. The details are sketchy.”
The United Nations last week said more than 30,000 people fled after a similar attack in and around the Borno town of Baga in late December.
Meanwhile, President Buhari formally decorated the new acting IG at a ceremony at the Aso Rock Villa yesterday.
The president was assisted by the former police boss, Idris, who officially retired today at the age of sixty.
Buhari decorates new IGP Abubakar Adamu Idris, who was appointed in June 2016, thanked Buhari for giving him the opportunity to serve under his administration as Inspector General of Police.
Featured
WASSCE: RSG Distributes Science Materials To Secondary Schools
The Rivers State Government has distributed science equipment and materials to all senior secondary schools across the state to support students during the ongoing West African Examinations Council exams and to strengthen practical learning.
Flagging off the distribution at the Rivers State Senior Secondary Schools Board premises in Port Harcourt, on Monday, the State Commissioner for Education, Dr. Peters Nwagor, said the move demonstrates Governor Siminalayi Fubara’s commitment to improving education standards in the State.
Nwagor said the materials were approved and provided by the state government specifically to boost the teaching and learning of science subjects, describing science education as the foundation for technological advancement, innovation, and national development.
“No society can compete globally without deliberate investment in science and technology,” the Commissioner stated.
He commended the governor for consistently prioritising the education sector by providing tools needed for effective teaching and hands-on learning.
The Commissioner directed principals to ensure that the equipment are used strictly for practical lessons in their schools, warning that any principal or administrator found diverting, hoarding, or selling the materials wil face disciplinary action under public service regulations.
Nwagor also warned against examination malpractice, saying any principal found aiding or encouraging malpractices will be decisively sanctioned.
“We must collectively restore the dignity and credibility of our educational system,” he said.
Also speaking, Chairman, Rivers State Senior Secondary Schools Board, Tony Egwurugwu, urged school heads to make judicious use of the materials for students’ benefit.
He thanked the State Government for providing the resources, and assured that monitoring mechanisms would be put in place to ensure the materials serve their intended purpose.
In his own remarks, a Board Member for Technical Education, Nwisabari Bani Samuel, expressed appreciation to the governor for prioritising education and acknowledged the Commissioner’s role in advancing education development in the State.
He said the distribution covers all senior secondary schools in the State and is intended to improve students’ performance in both internal and external science examinations.
Akujobi Amadi
Featured
Fubara Hails Workers’ Resilience, Dedication In Rivers …Hails Tinubu’s Economic Reform
Rivers State Governor, Sir Siminalayi Fubara, has commended workers in the State for their resilience, dedication, and invaluable contributions to development in the State.
Fubara gave the commendation during the 2026 Workers’ Day celebration at Isaac Boro Park in Port Harcourt, last Friday.
Represented by his deputy, Prof. Ngozi Nma Odu, the governor noted that Workers’ Day, which originated from the struggle for an eight-hour workday in the United States, has evolved into a global event recognising the contributions of workers to national growth and development.
He described workers as the backbone of sustainable development, saying no society can thrive without their efforts.
Fubara commended Rivers workers for their loyalty and commitment to service, noting that workers play vital roles across key sectors, including education, healthcare, infrastructure and industry.
He noted that their contributions have enhanced access to quality education and healthcare, supported job creation, and stimulated economic activities across the State.
While acknowledging the economic challenges faced by many workers, including the rising cost of living, Fubara assured that the the State Government remains committed to implementing policies that will enhance workers’ welfare and overall well-being.
The governor also hailed the bold and daring economic reforms of President Bola Tinubu which, he said, have stabilized the economy, enhanced foreign exchange liquidity, lowered inflation, and achieved significant growth in the nation’s gross domestic product.
He noted that, in addition to raising the minimum wage, the President recently approved new welfare incentives for federal civil servants.
“Our economy is on an unstoppable positive path under our President, and it can only improve further for the nation and everyone. Let us continue supporting the policies and programmes of Mr President,” he said.
Fubara highlighted the importance of workers in revenue generation and governance, noting that taxes paid by workers enable government to provide security and essential social services.
He reaffirmed the State Government’s recognition of labour as a critical partner in achieving its development blueprint, appreciating workers’ daily contributions to building a peaceful, secure, and prosperous Rivers State.
The governor urged the organised labour to use the occasion to reaffirm its commitment to the progress of the State, while continuing to advocate for democracy, social justice, and improved welfare for workers.
He also expressed gratitude to workers for their service to the State and the nation, encouraging them to remain steadfast in their contributions to development.
In his address, the State Chairman of the Nigeria Labour Congress, Comrade Alex Agwanwor, commended Fubara for his steadfastness, genuine commitment, and passion for workers in the State.
He highlighted key achievements of the administration, including the implementation of the National Minimum Wage Act, the renovation of the State Secretariat, the reopening of the Rivers State Transport Company (RTC), and the consistent payment of end-of-year bonuses to public workers.
Comrade Agwanwor noted that workers, as drivers of productivity, understand the challenges involved in building a prosperous Rivers State, stressing that they are well-equipped to contribute meaningfully to the growth and development of the State.
“We have resolved not to continue complaining and lamenting while challenges persist. Instead, we must take the initiative, step out of relative obscurity, and rediscover the mission and destiny of our dear state,” he said.
Featured
Fubara Pledges Support For Corporate Organisations In Rivers …Says PPP Business Model Responsible For NLNG’s Success
Rivers State Governor, Sir Siminalayi Fubara, has pledged the continued support of his administration for the Nigeria Liquified Natural Gas (NLNG) Limited.
Fubara gave the assurance while receiving the new Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of the NLNG, Mr Adeleye Falade, who paid him a courtesy visit at Government House, Port Harcourt.
He assured that his administration would continue to contribute its own quota in support of the NLNG.
According to him, the success of the organisation is equally the success of the government of Rivers State and the success of the Federal Government.
“Our duty is to make sure that we support whoever is operating in our state. We are the ones here. If we don’t support you and you don’t succeed, we also will not succeed and Mr President will also not succeed.
“So, the success of your establishment is the success of our state, and overall success of Nigeria. So you can count on our support. Wherever you think we need to come in to support you, please do not hesitate to call upon us.
“You just mentioned here that your predecessor left a handover note showcasing the level of support that he got from the state. It is not going to be different in your own case. I can assure you that. I will also ensure that other units of the government will liaise with you when necessary. So even if you can’t get to me, you can always get to them and if there is anything we can do to help your establishment succeed, we will do it for you,” he said.
The governor attributed the success of the NLNG to the Public Private Partnership ( PPP) business model adopted by the Federal Government and the multinational oil companies.
The NLNG is jointly owned by Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) with 49%, Shell Gas B.V. with 25.6%, Total LNG Nigeria Ltd with 15%, and Eni International with 10.4%.
The partnership model allows for shared risks, costs, and expertise in the LNG sector.
The governor noted that the NLNG has not only survived the difficult business environment but has made sustained progress in the nearly three decades of its existence.
According to him, the decision of the Federal Government to allow the multinational oil companies who have the needed expertise to run the establishment while government plays a supervisory role over it has largely been responsible for its success.
“I’m very proud to say that if there is one establishment that has shown resilience, that has survived in the face of all the political issues prevalent in this country, it is the NLNG. And what is the reason? The reason is very simple. Government has no business in business. That is the truth. Leave the business for those people who can operate it. Let the government play its supervisory role to ensure that there is compliance with the laws; ensure that standards are maintained and also ensure that the right people with the needed expertise are at the helm of affairs. That’s all. I think that is the reason why we still record a lot of successes in NLNG,” he said.
In his opening remark, the new NLNG boss, Mr Adeleye Falade, who led other top officials of the company on the visit, expressed appreciation to the governor for granting them audience, and appealed to the State Government to continue to support the organisation.
“We appreciate the opportunity to meet with you and deepen this important relationship.We deeply value the support the Rivers State Government continues to extend in fostering an enabling operating environment for businesses. NLNG remains deliberate in its contribution to Nigeria’s development, and Rivers State, our primary host, continues to be central to that commitment,” he said.
Falade said the company has continued to work with its host communities to strengthen their capacity to identify, prioritise, and deliver sustainable development initiatives that create lasting impact.
According to him, communities including Amadi-ama, Abua, Ekpeye, Okrika, Kalabari, and Emohua have continued to benefit from this model.
He said that beyond community infrastructure, the NLNG has sustained investments in economic empowerment through initiatives such as Vocational Innovation and Business Empowerment Scheme (VIBES) and Micro Small and Medium Enterprise (MSME) schemes.
These, he said, were designed to support small businesses, build capacity, and stimulate local enterprise across the state.
Among officials of the company who accompanied the Managing Director were General Manager, External Relations and Sustainable Development, Dr Sophia Horsfall; Manager, Government Relations, Mr Abdul Umar; Manager, Community Relations, Dr. Yemi Adeyemi; Head of Government Relations, Mr Mike Igoni; Head of Community Liaison and Engagement, Chief Ifeanyi Umeh.
Others are Technical Assistant to Executive Leadership, Mr Hassan Saleh; Senior Media and Publicity Advisor, Mr Emma Nwatu; Government Relations Advisor, Miss Homa Nmegbu; Senior Government Relations Advisor, Mrs Kate Allison, and Audio -Visual Advisor, Mr Dawood Ahmed.
-
Editorial3 days agoEnough Of Xenophobic Attacks On Nigerians
-
Nation2 days agoRSU, Otonti Nduka Foundation Holds Centenary Conference, Unveil Book on Values in Nigeria
-
Oil & Energy2 days agoRivers PETROAN Elects 12-Member Executive
-
Sports3 days agoOparaodu Urges Rivers United To Win Katsina United
-
Politics3 days ago
APC Group Protests Ex–Presidential Aspirant’s Disqualification From Rivers Senatorial Race
-
Politics3 days ago
Reps Speaker Secures APC Return Ticket For Fifth Term
-
Sports3 days ago” Nigeria’s best domestic players are not in NPFL”
-
Politics3 days ago
Primaries: Diri Lauds APC’s Unity, Cohesion In Bayelsa
