Connect with us

Nation

THE STATES

Published

on

Bauchi
Governor Mohammed Abubakar of Bauchi State on Saturday directed medical personnel in the state to offer free treatment to victims of auto crash that occurred along Bauchi-Gombe road.
Report that Abubakar gave the directive at Bara Town, Kirfi Local Government Area of the state, when his convoy stopped at the scene of an accident.
He directed that, some of the vehicles accompanying him should be used to convey the victims from Bara to Alkaleri General Hospital for treatment.
Abubakar, who was on his way to Gombe for an official engagement, had arrived few minutes after the accident occurred, and ordered his personal physician to offer first aid treatment to the victims.
An eye witness told newsmen that the accident occurred when a vehicle conveying 14 passengers had a tyre burst and somersaulted.

Benue
A reprisal attack by suspected herdsmen on Tse Igba Uke and Aliade villages in Gwer Local Government Area of Benue State has left one person dead and many others injured, the police have confirmed.
Asp. Moses Yamu, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), for the command in the state, confirmed the incident to newsmen last Thursday in Makurdi.
He said, the suspected herdsmen carried out the attack on Wednesday night, following an attack on their cattle by some youths of the village.
He also said, the corpse of the villager killed during the incident had been deposited at the Aliade General Hospital and the injured receiving treatment in the same hospital.
Yamu also told journalists that, angry youths took to the streets, on Thursday, following the reprisal attack on the village and barricaded Aliade Federal highway to protest the killing of one of their own.

Ekiti
The Ekiti State Police Command last Thursday, confirmed the killing of Mr Sunday Afolabi, an Assistant Superintendent with the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), in Ekiti State.
Reports had it that, Afolabi was allegedly killed by yet-to-be-identified assailants along Afao Road in the evening of Wednesday.
The Public Relations Officer (PRO), of the state police command, Mr Alberto Adeyemi (SP), told newsmen in Ado-Ekiti that preliminary investigations had revealed that Afolabi was killed by suspected cultists.
He said that, his body had been deposited at the morgue of the Ekiti State Teaching Hospital in Ado-Ekiti.
The NSCDC spokesman, Mr Tolu Afolabi, who also confirmed the killing to newsmen in Ado-Ekiti, on Thursday, said that further investigations into the incident had commenced.

FCT
The Chief of Army Staff, Lt-Gen. Tukur Buratai, has urged troops in the North East to remain steadfast in prosecuting the counter insurgency as history would not forget them.
The army spokesman, Brig-Gen. Sani Usman, said in a statement on Sunday, that Buratai stated this during a visit to troops at Pulka and Gwoza in Borno.
Usman, said the visit was to assess troops in the ongoing “Operation Deep Push” to clear remnants of Boko Haram terrorists around Sambisa forest.
Buratai, who was represented by the Chief of Administration (Army), Maj-Gen. Idris Alkah, said that, the Nation was proud of their efforts in maintaining peace and order.

Kano
The Kano State chapter of RedCross Society on Sunday distributed relief materials worth millions of Naira to 516 Internally Displaced Persons (IPDs), in the State.
The Red Cross Chairperson in Kano, Dr. Urrata Balla, presented the materials to the IDPs at Hotoro in Tarauni and Gaida in Kumbotso Local Government Areas of the state.
Balla said, the gesture was necessary due to the condition IDPs found themselves.

Katsina
The Police Command in Katsina State says, it has arrested 22 victims of Human Trafficking in Katsina Metropolis.
The command said it has also arrested their Trafficker, Mannir Suleiman.
Superintendent of Police, Andrew Alpolsus, the Officer in charge of the Federal Anti-Robbery Squad in the state, presented the victims and the Trafficker to newsmen last Thursday in Katsina.
“The Police have arrested 12 young women of between the ages of 17 and 22 years and 10 men at a house at Kwando area of the Katsina metropolis.
Alpolsus said, the victims were on their way to Niger Republic when policemen intercepted and rescue, them.

Lagos
The president, of the Nigerian Army Officers Wives Association (NAOWA), Mrs Umma-Kalsum Buratai, on Saturday received the wife, of the Bangladeshi Chief of Army Staff (COAS) at its secretariat in Lagos.
Mrs Buratai, who received the wife of the Bangladeshi COAS, Mrs Shoma Huq, at the NAOWA Secretariat, Ikoyi,  Lagos expressed appreciation for the visit.
She added that, it was a good development that would further strengthen the relationship between the two countries.
Mrs Buratai urged women to always be positive, adding that if the women get it right, the family will also get it right.
Mrs Huq commended NAOWA for their charity programmes, adding that, life was all about giving.

Ogun
The Octagon Nigeria, an NGO on Saturday, said it had given scholarship of N1 million to children of widows in Ado-Odo/Ota Local Government Area of Ogun.
Mr Olatunji Egbewunmi, the founder of  the NGO, disclosed this at the 3rd Anniversary Lecture/Award ceremony organised by the organisation in Ota, Ogun.
The lecture was entitled, “The Role of a True Leader in Economic Development”.
The Octagon Nigeria was established in 2014 with a mission to support the plight of  the vulnerable segment, especially widows and their children, to become productive in the society through advocacy, economic empowerment and human rights programmes.
Egbewunmi, said that 10 children of widows benefited from the scholarship programme.
He said that the initiative was to provide qualitative but free primary and secondary education for gifted children of the poorest widows in the country.

Oyo
The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), Oyo state command, said it arrested 51 suspected drug traffickers and addicts from January to date.
A statement by the state command’s Public Relations Officer (PRO), Mrs Mutiat Okuwobi, on Sunday in Ibadan, disclosed that, 1,933.28 kg of drugs were also seized during the period.
The PRO added that, the agency also got the conviction of 17 drug traffickers with jail terms ranging from six months to five years in the period under review.
She said, interventions were also given to some drug dependant persons through counselling after which they were reintegrated into the society.
The PRO said some drug users were still undergoing rehabilitation.
She said that, the command would continue to do its best to frustrate the activities of drug peddlers in the state.

Yobe
A Yobe philanthropist, Dr Muhammed Goje, last Saturday, awarded scholarship to 20 students from Gujba and Gulani Local Government Areas, to enhance education recovery  in areas most affected by Boko Haram insurgency.
Muhammad, presented the awards to the beneficiaries in Damaturu.
He said, the beneficiaries were mostly orphans who lost their parents to insurgency and others from financially less privileged families.
“The beneficiaries have the required qualification for admission into tertiary institutions but lack the support to advance their studies,” he said.
He said, Gujba and Gulani Local Government Areas were the most devastated areas by insurgency that needed special approach for education recovery.
“The level of damage is so monumental for government to handle alone, individuals, groups and non-governmental organizations must give Yobe state government, a helping hand.

Zamfara
The Nigeria Police Force, is set to construct 500 housing units in Zamfara under its new Housing Scheme.
Maigari Dikko, the Deputy Inspector-General of Police (DIG), in-charge of Logistics and Supply, said this last Thursday, while on a one-day working visit to the Zamfara State Police Command in Gusau.
The DIG said that, part of his visit to the state was to solicit land allocation from the state government for the police to construct the housing units.
Dikko, said that the new housing policy was initiated to end the housing problem among the rank and file, and would be on an “Owner-occupier basis”.
“It is unfair for one to have served the nation for 35 years and end up with no personal accommodation,” he said.

Continue Reading

Nation

Youths Vow To Continue Protest Over Dilapidated Highway

Published

on

Youths from five local government areas in Northern Cross River State have concluded a one-week warning protest and blockade of the dilapidated Ikom-Wula-Obudu federal highway over the weekend.
They have vowed to resume the road blocks if by this week the authorities do not intervene to fix the road.
More than five thousand locals, mostly youths from Obanliku, Etung, Obudu, Ikom and Boki LGAs trooped out everyday for one week, used palm trees to block the highway to draw state and federal government’s attention to their plights, requesting the repair of a road has has been unmotorable for about 40 years.
They warned that if they do not see any actions from the state or federal governments, they will resume their Plan B protest, stop revenue collections and make governance unpalatable.
The youths also warned that without interventions on the road which has claimed several lives, including that of last week when a pregnant woman died with her baby in the full glare of the protesters because of the terrible road, no election can hold in the area next year.
One of the leaders of the No Road , No Election protest, who is also the Abo Youths in Boki LGA, Dr Martins Assam said both the federal and state governments have neglected the region, which generates more than 70 percent state revenue from agriculture.
He said if machinery is not deployed by next week, they will not have any option than to embark on unpalatable and disastrous protest, and stop revenue collections in the area.
“Last week we had only a warning strike for one good week. We’ll embark on a more elaborate, disastrous one-month blockade of this highway until they intervene. We call on our Governor and representatives in the National Assembly to act now by impressing on the federal government to immediately fix this road else. We’re not asking for two much but to be treated as human beings.”
Another protester, Clinton Obi from the Etung axis said, “We’ve been neglected for 40 years. This Ikom-Obudu federal highway had been impassable. The government has removed its concentration from our plights. By this one week protest, we want action on this road otherwise the next phase of protest will be costly.”
Reverend Father Francis Amaozo, priest in charge of St. Nicholas parish in Nashua, Boki LGA said, “I have also been a victim of this very deplorable road. Enough is now enough. We’ve been betrayed by our representatives and other leaders, so that we in this axis have become endangered species on this road. I have lost some many members on this road.”
Member, representing the Boki-Ikom federal constituency of the state in the House of Representatives, Bisong Victor Abang had pleaded with the locals to be a bit more patient with the government as action will commence shortly.

Continue Reading

Nation

UNIPORT VC Receives Inaugural Lecture Brochure As Professor Highlights Urgent Need For Drug Repurposing In Malaria Fight

Published

on

The Vice Chancellor of the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT), Prof Owunari Georgewill, last Thursday received the inaugural lecture brochure from the Inaugural Lecturer, Professor Udeme Georgewill, during a ceremony at the university’s Centre of Excellence attended by academics, researchers, students, and distinguished guests.
Delivering her lecture, Professor Udeme Georgewill described the occasion as the culmination of years of dedicated research, teaching, and service to humanity. He explained that his work as a pharmacologist has consistently focused on finding practical, affordable, and scientifically sound solutions to health challenges that disproportionately affect developing countries, particularly malaria, which remains one of Nigeria’s most pressing public health concerns.
She noted that Nigeria continues to bear one of the heaviest malaria burdens globally, accounting for a significant percentage of worldwide cases and deaths. The disease, largely caused by the Plasmodium falciparum parasite and transmitted through Anopheles mosquitoes, remains especially dangerous for children under five years and pregnant women, threatening not only present populations but unborn generations. Despite years of intervention efforts, malaria continues to strain families, health systems, and the national economy.
Prof Georgewill empha-sised that while Artemisinin-based Combination Therapies such as Artemether-Lumefantrine remain the gold standard for malaria treatment, emerging resistance patterns pose a serious challenge. He explained that drug resistance is a survival mechanism of the parasite, enabling it to adapt and reduce the effectiveness of medications designed to eliminate it. According to her, instances where patients do not feel better after initial treatment sometimes lead to repeated dosing or the search for injectable alternatives, practices that can worsen resistance and complicate treatment outcomes.
Against this backdrop, she advocated strongly for drug repurposing as a strategic and urgent response. Drug repurposing, he explained, involves identifying new therapeutic uses for already approved and widely available medications. He likened the concept to “old wine in new wineskins,” stressing that medicines already proven safe for certain conditions can be carefully re-evaluated and optimised for new roles in malaria management. This approach, she argued, offers advantages such as reduced research timelines, lower development costs, and faster clinical application compared to developing entirely new drugs from scratch.
She disclosed that her research had progressed from laboratory investigations to clinical evaluations, where his team is studying combinations involving Artemether-Lumefantrine and Ivermectin to determine their effectiveness in improving treatment outcomes and possibly reducing transmission. Clinical trials are ongoing, and findings will be communicated upon completion of regulatory processes. However, he cautioned strongly against self-medication, warning that misuse of drugs without proper diagnosis and prescription can lead to organ damage, treatment failure, and increased resistance.
Referencing global health commitments, Prof Georgewill highlighted Sustainable Development Goal 3.3, which seeks to end epidemics of malaria and other major infectious diseases by 2030. She questioned whether the goal remains attainable under current realities, especially with growing resistance and funding gaps. He also referred to strategies of the World Health Organisation aimed at drastically reducing malaria incidence and mortality while pushing toward elimination in several countries.
Looking ahead, she revealed that her team is building comprehensive research databases to support artificial intelligence-driven drug repurposing. He stressed that the integration of artificial intelligence, molecular docking, and advanced screening technologies is transforming global drug discovery, and Nigerian researchers must be equipped to participate competitively in this evolving scientific landscape.
In her recommendations, she called for the establishment of a National Centre for Drug Repurposing to coordinate research efforts and leverage artificial intelligence in identifying new indications for existing medicines. He urged policymakers to simplify and accelerate the translation of laboratory discoveries into clinical application, ensuring that scientific breakthroughs benefit the public more efficiently. She also appealed to the university and relevant authorities to increase funding and modernise laboratory infrastructure, including high-throughput screening facilities, to strengthen Nigeria’s position in global biomedical research.
The lecture concluded with expressions of gratitude to God, the university leadership, colleagues, students, and guests, as the event underscored the University of Port Harcourt’s commitment to research excellence and its role in addressing critical public health challenges facing Nigeria and the wider world.

Continue Reading

Nation

Niger CAN Rejects Proposed Hisbah Bill, Urges Gov Bago Not To Assent

Published

on

The Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, Niger State Chapter, has rejected the proposed Niger State Hisbah Directorates Bill, describing it as controversial and capable of deepening religious division in the state.
In a statement signed by the State Chairman, Bishop Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, and made available to The Tide’s source yesterday, the association urged Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago not to assent to the bill if it is passed by the State House of Assembly.
The bill, sponsored by the member representing Chanchaga Constituency, Hon. Mohammed Abubakar, seeks to establish a Hisbah Directorate in Niger State.
CAN warned that the legislation could be perceived as discriminatory against Christians and may heighten tension in the religiously diverse state.
“Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago, we, the entire Christendom in the state, wish to draw your attention to what could easily create division among the people you govern,” the statement read in part.
The association questioned the necessity and benefits of the proposed law, asking what economic or social value it would add to the state.
It further argued that existing security agencies, including the Nigeria Police and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, already have constitutional mandates to maintain law and order.
The Christian body also faulted the legislative process, disputing claims that it was consulted during a public hearing on the bill.
It insisted that it was neither invited nor notified of any such engagement, despite being a critical stakeholder in the state.

Continue Reading

Trending